Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Poll] - If you had to remove one faction from the game, who would it be?

124»

Comments

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,055
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 649
    This is a terrible poll format.

It should have been obvious it was gonna invite trolls
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,992

Disgusting little creatures they are!

Kill em! Kill em all!
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 1,778

Blaced said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

I wonder if the HE hate is because of how the faction is designed or because of the people who play them.

I think this is just a forum phenomenon. Echo chamber, and all that.
    No, because elf-hate (and I mean elves overall, not just the Warhammer ones) isn't just something done on this forum, that's something going way beyond.
    Yes, but elf-hate is probably the same as elf-fandom, a relatively small group of individuals, which is spurred by the behaviour of the elf-fans. If you remove the elf-fans from the equation, the elf-hate would be laughable.
    Don't be so sure. The very way elves are conceptualised ever since Tolkien gave them his personal spin as "humans but better" already comes off as repulsive because few people like being patronized or condescended upon which is something elves very easily lend themselves to, especially when you have incompetent writers at the helm

Anyone know those Eragon books that were popular during the early Oughts? Those probably include the absolute worst incarnation of elves ever. Eragon's elves are Superman levels beyond the capabilities of normal humans which they like to rub in everyone's faces of course. They're also all vegan atheists, and guess what, they rub that in everyone's faces too. They're also fair-weather friends as they abandon the war effort against the bad guy when one elf has an oopsie (and oopsie she was ready to risk BTW) and go sulking in their magically warded forest. Said sulking consist of having nude love parties and radically warping and modifying their bodies with magic (Slaanesh approves!), so there's an air of decadence and degeneration that hangs over them (but don't expect the author to point that out). At one point some poor human woodsmen cut some trees near the magical elf forest and the elf queen reacts by murdering everyone in the village they come from to "teach them a lesson".

Really, even if those elves had no rabid fans, it would make me hate elves with a raging passion.
    Those are elves in a book by an author. I can cite you examples of hateful elves on other settings too, like the Witcher books, but I don't see how it should make me hate elves on every iteration. Sure, they have things in common but they'e different enough depending in the setting and usually have redeeming aspects. And I'm not really vey fond of elves myself, in fact I only like them in Warhammer because I find them a lot more grounded than in other settings.
    As long as they hew Tolkien, so the "humans but better" design, they will be hateful by default. Especially when this sort of design attracts the sort of people who would like to think of themselves as "better" humans.
    Do they really read Tolkien, in his story, the god, Eru, "prefer" humans over elves, gift human "death"
    Eru isn't mentioned once in LotR, at most vaguely alluded to by Gandalf and if you want the whole backstory for the elves you need to read the Silmarillion which shows some of their follies.

Overall Tolkien was more careful in how he designed elves, but the core of "humans but better" is what everyone latches onto anway, including crappy authors like Chris Paolini.
    You can mostly blame that, Warcraft, and Dungeons and Dragons for the weird obssession with Elves as the "perfect" race i.e 3.5's the "Book of Elves". 1d4chan does a nice run down on how to make Elves interesting without turning them into Mary-Sues, ironically using steps that Tolkien himself invented. Sure, they're immortal and magical and spiritual, but it all follows Middle Earth's own internal logic and uses logical consequences to great affect, such as immortality meaning that you can't forget every bad thing that ever happens to you. Any sorrow or trauma you have will stay with you forever.

Now that newer franchises are working to make Elves interesting again, I wonder where this fanaticism still comes from.
  • Stacks_LeeStacks_Lee Registered Users Posts: 89
    Yannir said:

I wonder if the HE hate is because of how the faction is designed or because of the people who play them.

And here I thought that was supposed to be reddit
  • SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 1,051

Blaced said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

No, because elf-hate (and I mean elves overall, not just the Warhammer ones) isn't just something done on this forum, that's something going way beyond.
    Yes, but elf-hate is probably the same as elf-fandom, a relatively small group of individuals, which is spurred by the behaviour of the elf-fans. If you remove the elf-fans from the equation, the elf-hate would be laughable.
    Don't be so sure. The very way elves are conceptualised ever since Tolkien gave them his personal spin as "humans but better" already comes off as repulsive because few people like being patronized or condescended upon which is something elves very easily lend themselves to, especially when you have incompetent writers at the helm

Anyone know those Eragon books that were popular during the early Oughts? Those probably include the absolute worst incarnation of elves ever. Eragon's elves are Superman levels beyond the capabilities of normal humans which they like to rub in everyone's faces of course. They're also all vegan atheists, and guess what, they rub that in everyone's faces too. They're also fair-weather friends as they abandon the war effort against the bad guy when one elf has an oopsie (and oopsie she was ready to risk BTW) and go sulking in their magically warded forest. Said sulking consist of having nude love parties and radically warping and modifying their bodies with magic (Slaanesh approves!), so there's an air of decadence and degeneration that hangs over them (but don't expect the author to point that out). At one point some poor human woodsmen cut some trees near the magical elf forest and the elf queen reacts by murdering everyone in the village they come from to "teach them a lesson".

Really, even if those elves had no rabid fans, it would make me hate elves with a raging passion.
    Those are elves in a book by an author. I can cite you examples of hateful elves on other settings too, like the Witcher books, but I don't see how it should make me hate elves on every iteration. Sure, they have things in common but they'e different enough depending in the setting and usually have redeeming aspects. And I'm not really vey fond of elves myself, in fact I only like them in Warhammer because I find them a lot more grounded than in other settings.
    As long as they hew Tolkien, so the "humans but better" design, they will be hateful by default. Especially when this sort of design attracts the sort of people who would like to think of themselves as "better" humans.
    Do they really read Tolkien, in his story, the god, Eru, "prefer" humans over elves, gift human "death"
    Eru isn't mentioned once in LotR, at most vaguely alluded to by Gandalf and if you want the whole backstory for the elves you need to read the Silmarillion which shows some of their follies.

Overall Tolkien was more careful in how he designed elves, but the core of "humans but better" is what everyone latches onto anway, including crappy authors like Chris Paolini.
    You can mostly blame that, Warcraft, and Dungeons and Dragons for the weird obssession with Elves as the "perfect" race i.e 3.5's the "Book of Elves". 1d4chan does a nice run down on how to make Elves interesting without turning them into Mary-Sues, ironically using steps that Tolkien himself invented. Sure, they're immortal and magical and spiritual, but it all follows Middle Earth's own internal logic and uses logical consequences to great affect, such as immortality meaning that you can't forget every bad thing that ever happens to you. Any sorrow or trauma you have will stay with you forever.

Now that newer franchises are working to make Elves interesting again, I wonder where this fanaticism still comes from.
    The fanaticism seems to come from this idea of pure perfection. People enjoy the idea of something being perfect, and it eventually leads to a pretty well-worn path.

A perfect race of beings with no flaws is what some people see with elves regardless of all flaws.

Tolkien and the Noldor are an obvious example. The Noldor, in Tolkein's view, were elves that were constantly plagued by the poor choices of their forefathers which eventually caught up with most of them.
    Or Warhammer's High Elves being a haughty and proud race, which Teclis realizes are just like humans, but that elves established what was good by their own standards not realizing that their own standards are biased towards them.

However, that idea is generally watered down, even in mass media and copy-cats.
    This concept of the elves being better just led to people immediately assuming such with nuance being forgotten.
    Further, those that are so firmly attached to this notion will not let it go.

And fanaticism is linked to any number of real world issues affecting people, and an escapist fantasy of perfect beings like them could provide some modicum of comfort for people living in a bleak world for themselves.

Yannir said:

And here I thought that was supposed to be reddit
    Any and all social media is an echo-chamber, by design and functionalitty.
    SaintCorn said:

Blaced said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

The fanaticism seems to come from this idea of pure perfection. People enjoy the idea of something being perfect, and it eventually leads to a pretty well-worn path.

A perfect race of beings with no flaws is what some people see with elves regardless of all flaws.

Tolkien and the Noldor are an obvious example. The Noldor, in Tolkein's view, were elves that were constantly plagued by the poor choices of their forefathers which eventually caught up with most of them.
    Or Warhammer's High Elves being a haughty and proud race, which Teclis realizes are just like humans, but that elves established what was good by their own standards not realizing that their own standards are biased towards them.

This concept of the elves being better just led to people immediately assuming such with nuance being forgotten.

And fanaticism is linked to any number of real world issues affecting people, and an escapist fantasy of perfect beings like them could provide some modicum of comfort for people living in a bleak world for themselves.
    I get that, but this is Warhammer, a franchise that takes all the flaws and quirks of fantasy and turns them into glaring flaws. This is not the game where you want to project, especially with how toxic 40k can get when people start thinking that the Imperium of Mankind is a decent plan for an actual society.

SaintCorn said:

Blaced said:

manpersal said:

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

I get that, but this is Warhammer, a franchise that takes all the flaws and quirks of fantasy and turns them into glaring flaws. This is not the game where you want to project, especially with how toxic 40k can get when people start thinking that the Imperium of Mankind is a decent plan for an actual society.
    Of course, it isn't.

It is a comically larger than life scenario.
    The High Elves are so arrogant that they literally look down on everyone for everything.
    The Wood Elves are so concerned with just nature that they would genocide the entire planet if it meant the Oak of Ages would be happy.
    The Dark Elves will do literally anything to get to the top.
    Yet, people will project themselves onto a setting that is so over the top even if it is quite toxic.

• SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,966

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Ohh man I had fogotten about that book. I read the first 2 and it started quite interesting until the damn Elves came along.
    I mainly don't like Elves because of the reasons you mention but also esthetically I hate this pretty boy look fantasy gives them. Real hardened and BEARDED badass man/dwarf > any elf!
  • CyresdogCyresdog Registered Users Posts: 577
    Norsca, replace them with WoC and It wouldn't make much of a difference in ypur campaigns

Reminder to ignore certain Users:
    Lucibuis, Veresh

• KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 2,418

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Ohh man I had fogotten about that book. I read the first 2 and it started quite interesting until the damn Elves came along.
    I mainly don't like Elves because of the reasons you mention but also esthetically I hate this pretty boy look fantasy gives them. Real hardened and BEARDED badass man/dwarf > any elf!
    All throngs are mustered if our mind's be so!
  • KyrelKyrel Registered Users Posts: 51
    Of the options listed: Vampire Coast.
    Outside of that: Cathey
  • MasariusMasarius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,103
    ArneSo said:

Vampire Coast - Worst faction in the game, CA made them too bad

Nah they are great, especially Cylostra! Awesome characters with a great model!

May I ask what you don’t like about the Vampire Coast?
    I see what you did there.

You sneaky thing you.
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 231
    Preemptively, Dogs of War. They just don't seem interesting to me. Their roster just seems to be all over the place; to me, it's the unit equivalent of having a bunch of settlements but no full provinces.

That being said, I'm sure that CA would do a fantastic job and make them really fun, but if I had to pick one, then it'd be them.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,810

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Lol damn yall reminded that those books exist. I remember reading the second one and just skipping all the elf sections because they were mind numbingly boring and just reading the side story where the other guy picks up a hammer and then just starts bashing people to death like he was chosen by Sigmar.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,046
    Man all of these essays because of a few trolls/roleplayers are hilarious

It was ironic. Out of the whole self-satisfied race, only one really had been so unique, and Aenarion had not needed to prove it or boast about it. He had been respected, loved and feared as their son tried so hard to be and never would.
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    50/50 Vampire Coast or Norsca
    Ind, Nippon, Khuresh, Elithis Sea Elves, Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Araby, Amazons, Albion :#
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 3,769
    Anything with pointy ears, I want removed from the game.

Even if CA doesn’t oblige my request, I delete them from the campaign myself so no biggie.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 2,418
    Bonutz said:

Even if CA doesn’t oblige my request, I delete them from the campaign myself so no biggie.

Your name always makes me think of donuts, keep up the good work boyo :)
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 3,769

Bonutz said:

Glad I could assist with your cravings!
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,966

Bonutz said:

• That1dudeThat1dude Registered Users Posts: 302
    I voted Beastmen, they're the least fun faction in the game and, as much as it hurts for me to admit it, as it is now if one faction from the game absolutely needed to be removed, it would be them.
    MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,170
    edited March 4
    I voted high elves, i wish it was a multiple poll so i could vote for the filthy hippies as well.......

Inappropriate Comment removed.

Ps: +1 vote for wood elves!
    Post edited by dge1 on

"Yum Yum"
  • Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 544

manpersal said:

Yannir said:

Lol damn yall reminded that those books exist. I remember reading the second one and just skipping all the elf sections because they were mind numbingly boring and just reading the side story where the other guy picks up a hammer and then just starts bashing people to death like he was chosen by Sigmar.
    The 2nd is quite the slog to read through, but the 3rd and fourth focus mostly on the war, and tieing up some loose ends vis-a-vis the Ra'zac. Not a bad series tbh, i quite enjoyed it overall
  • BrizthomBrizthom Registered Users Posts: 682
    Why is CA dropping support for a race? They can't sell something and then not support it.
  • BrizthomBrizthom Registered Users Posts: 682
    Is WoC being dropped tp be split into monogods?
    Brizthom said:

Is WoC being dropped tp be split into monogods?

Oh no, this is not saying that.

This was just the community wondering who they would choose to drop.

CA has made no statements about dropping support for any race.

So, WoC are good.
    @Brizthom

• petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 949

Look at some of the worst content available on this forum, there's always a High Elf banner next to it.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,644

HE for sure. Never trust the Azurs!

I thought you liked Helves. XD
    Warhammer Fantasy is less grimdark than 40k.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    Dogs of War need Ogres and halflings.