Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Should TWW3 have Rome 2 style garrisons?

EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 649
So I’m Warhammer so far, your local garrisons come from two major sources: The town center and a defensive upgrade for that faction. Many factions also have a spellcaster provided once you upgrade their spellcaster hero building to a certain point.

In Rome 2, your town center had a pile of units it provided, as well as any building where you hired troops, and some government buildings also lended extra men and the like. There were far more buildings contributing defenders, and pretty much if you could hire from that building, it provided some.

I much prefer the Rome 2 method and provided defenders. This makes town management much more varied, as you have to balance how many defenders you want in the area against just spamming the same 1-2 money makers in every town across the Empire. With this would also come a sprinkling of other ways to make money, so not all would be lost.

The closest current comparison is the Reikland exclusive building the Reikfort. It not only allows you to recruit Reiksgard locally, but also provides a pair of Reiksgard defenders. I’d prefer this become the new standard for most buildings, so having more then a single building granting you global access to a troop isn’t the best course of action for so many of these troop buildings

Comments

• innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 982
    yep, i hate the wall building both because of its necessity and that its the only way to boost the garrison for most factions. eco buildings should give low tier troops and military high tier troops, would also alleviate siege boredom a little by garrisons potentially being different. dlc units also should be integrated in some way.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,516
    Town management is bad in WH. You always create the same buildings everywhere.

I know Attila's system was a bit complex. But something ... different and more varied would be appreciated for WH.

I think that the town center building could be divided in two, as Rome 2 (economic or military town center). Maybe the ports for the coastal towns could be incorporated in the town center building too, so that the coastal towns could really get 3 building places.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 649
    Absolutely DLC units should be incorporated into the Town Center, or specialty building, when appropriate.

Why does the Blazing Sun chapter house not five me Blazing Sun Knights?

Why don’t tier one Empire towns give me Archers?

I get needing a pack to hire troops. CA has had to keep people on payroll to give us that content. But having them in the garrison would potentially allow you to use them and ask “why can’t I hire this guy”, and then you buy the pack!

• EctarEctar Registered Users Posts: 5
    I believe CA made a conscious decision to simplify garrisons in Warhammer and I can't see them going back on this decision for game three. As it stands, building the same economic building is all but a few military settlements is essential to having a functional mid to to late game economy in order to support additional armies. To change how garrisons work would be a major re-balancing of how the game works and would probably upset just as many people, if not more, than the people it would satisfy.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,813
    edited March 3
    Ectar said:

I believe CA made a conscious decision to simplify garrisons in Warhammer and I can't see them going back on this decision for game three. As it stands, building the same economic building is all but a few military settlements is essential to having a functional mid to to late game economy in order to support additional armies. To change how garrisons work would be a major re-balancing of how the game works and would probably upset just as many people, if not more, than the people it would satisfy.

This implies that garrisons as they are now are working. They don't.

See, the base level garrisons outside of named capitals are fully insufficient to deal with any army that swoops in thanks to the rampant doomstacking in this game. That there are no minor settlement maps that could add chokepoints or other power multipliers to the defender makes it worse. That's why people are highly encouraged to build both tiers of the defense building to get walls as otherwise there's no chance of holding any settlement in a defensive battle.

That's why either there should be no garrisons in minor settlements at all like in ToB or much stronger garrisons overall. The half-arsed approach the game takes just doesn't cut it either way.

In 3K I was able to hold a 10 unit army with just three units of my own, by utilizing the settlement layout and fighting a retreating battle with occasional sallies until the enemy was worn down and fled. This doesn't work in this game.

• EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 649
    There is a dozen ways to make up for the same boring building spam:

Increase the usefulness of trade/having access to trade goods.

Increase the inherent amount of income coming from Town Centers

Have more advanced buildings provide nominal income

Have more recruitment attached to special resource buildings, in the same way cold one herds can be recruited from exotic animal buildings.

I understand it would require a handful of tweaks, but they would hardly need to be complicated
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,375
    edited March 3
    Pr4vda said:

Town management is bad in WH. You always create the same buildings everywhere.

I know Attila's system was a bit complex. But something ... different and more varied would be appreciated for WH.

I think that the town center building could be divided in two, as Rome 2 (economic or military town center). Maybe the ports for the coastal towns could be incorporated in the town center building too, so that the coastal towns could really get 3 building places.

You did the same thing in ROme II and Attila... you had the one or two building sets for provinces that worked... and the rest that didn't... aside of maybe for provinces you turned into Training Grounds for armies...
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,208
    First they need to make it so that the AI don't sprint halfway across the map to get your one unwalled settlement. When they're willing to attack all settlements equally, CA can rework garrisons.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 3,796
    innerp said:

yep, i hate the wall building both because of its necessity and that its the only way to boost the garrison for most factions. eco buildings should give low tier troops and military high tier troops, would also alleviate siege boredom a little by garrisons potentially being different. dlc units also should be integrated in some way.

Would be nice if minor settlements went up all to T IV and gave you walls at T IV. Like in Attila.
  • BlacksphemyBlacksphemy Registered Users Posts: 496
    I'd prefer if wall building was more expensive in minor settlements for everyone and if we could also purchase deployables like hidden pitfalls or caltrops or destructible palisade walls (placeable anywhere) for the right cost, or more terrain with chokepoints or surprise fights that happen in the middle of a map wide town.

I also would like if each building provided some level of defensive troops so not every town needed a yellow build line

Making some walls more destructible and allowing deployment outside of them for the defender might be fun as well
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    edited March 3
    Post edited by Tennisgolfboll on
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    edited March 3
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 449
    I like this idea. Garrisons and building management is so boring. This fixes both without being too complicated.
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Registered Users Posts: 1,420
    The relatively new mod "Reporting for Duty" fixes this, all units that allow recruitment of units also add units to the garrison. Makes garrisons less of a pushover and a bit more interesting to fight.
  • DumbledoodDumbledood Registered Users Posts: 144
    I kind of like the idea of having more varied garrisons. Might add some more variety to siege defenses. I worry for the AI knowing how to build them though