Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

User Info RequiredCTD IN CAMPAIGN WHEN BESIEGING SETTLEMENT - Fully replicatable

HaywirePhoenixHaywirePhoenix Registered Users Posts: 8
edited March 15 in Campaign & Battle Bugs
Always crash when zooming into a besieging settlement (yingchun)

Tried without mods and default gfx settings.

Game and drivers fully updated, game fully uninstalled all local files deleted before clean install.

See attached:
Post edited by CHARLOTTEB_CA on

Comments

• CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,278
    Hi HaywirePhoenix!

What version of the game are you using?
    I would recommend completely removing your mods instead of turning them off to see if this helps resolve the crash at all =)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • HaywirePhoenixHaywirePhoenix Registered Users Posts: 8
    edited March 16
    Hi Charlotteb, thanks for getting back to me :smile:

I'm running 1.7.0 but it was happening on previous build aswell. I've fully uninstalled and deleted all local app data and files in the program dir. I've even installed the game on another machine and added nothing but the save file and it still crashes when zooming into the besieged settlement. I've dealt with a daily crash since purchasing the game but it's halted my progress entirely now (52 hours).

Attached new files generated straight after the crash no mods installed.

I should note that I've already tried all of the steps on the support pages and going round in circles with sega support. They asked for msinfo dump but then didn't check it, is that normal? I can upload it here if you need.

Some of the things I've already tried:

Disabling/fully deleting mods
    Launching after deleting preferences (running with default settings, non 4k)
    Setting all gfx to low
    Setting audio quality to low
    Fully starting the game instead of using Continue Campaign
    Loading the previous save / Ending turn
    Trying to avoid the crash by doing different things in game.
    Uninstalling the game deleting all local appdata and files in program dir
    Uninstalled antivirus
    Uninstalled anything relating to audio
    Used DDU to remove all gfx and audio drivers and reinstalled only latest nvidia drivers
    Disabling all other audio devices
    Disabling audio enhancements
    Dropping sound quality in sound control panel
    Disabling DEP
    Fresh installed the game on another machine
    Post edited by HaywirePhoenix on
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,278
    Hey HaywirePhoenix!

Thank you for getting back to me with all the extra details, i'll investigate with the information you have provided and pass this along to the team!
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • HaywirePhoenixHaywirePhoenix Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thanks for looking into it Charlotte. I have an update for you.

I've been able to progress past the crash by reinstalling the previous mods that I had. It hasn't crashed again (yet!).

Debugging showed the game tries to reference invalid memory and throws an exception access violation before closing. I can't see what the function does on my end but it got me thinking that the save may be on a season that no longer exists (since I had a mod which gives 12 turns per year), and removing the mod doesn't stop the save looking for that ID in the database.

I'll keep going and try to finish this campaign asap and in future keep from changing things that modify the db mid campaign.

This is just a guess but I hope it should help narrow it down and can hopefully be of some use to the team at least for the collection of additional diagnosing steps, and at best some insight in how to help the game deal with changes like this more gracefully. It could do this by either a) checking of the db has changed and updating the save file, or b) preventing the player from making a change like this (maybe not more than once) mid game.
    The most brutal but also fair would be to not accept bug reports from saves from modded campaigns!

I believe the above would reduce the amount of time spent on these cases. Thank you for your time and sorry if it was my error that caused this.