Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Petition to let Generals use Generic medium units of any element

AndredesAndredes Registered Users Posts: 41
Currently only Commanders can use the basic units across all elements, which is cool, but Other classes can't which is kinda less than ideal especially since they often have abilities that buff other units like sentinels having ranged bonuses when you can't actually make a ranged unit worth anything unless you are playing a faction with a unique ranged unit.

An argument in favor of this is every class can already use the elites of other elements such as a water general being able to make "shudders" yellow dragons, which I would be fine with them not having access to, I would be fine with that unit not being in the game. If they had access to the middle of the road class I just think it would be neat.
Tagged:

Comments

• Clsmith88Clsmith88 Registered Users Posts: 129
    edited March 20
    It's definitely weird that generals can get the elites of opposing colors, but not the medium ones which, imo, is pretty nonsensical. It'd make much more sense to save the elites for the characters of matching color and enable medium unit recruitment for all colors. Also **** Yellow Dragons lol, never use the sods.
    Post edited by Clsmith88 on
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 975
    Medium should get unlocked at a higher level for those not that class

Elites should both require a level limit and at least 100 in the stat to unlock considering it’s suppose to be the best units
  • Clsmith88Clsmith88 Registered Users Posts: 129

Medium should get unlocked at a higher level for those not that class

Elites should both require a level limit and at least 100 in the stat to unlock considering it’s suppose to be the best units

Those are both excellent ideas, I like them a lot. It keeps Commanders unique since they could recruit the any color medium units at any level while other colors would have to rank up a bit more. I also like the idea of having 100 stat unlocks the corresponding elite tier unit. Makes sense a skilled general would have a correspondingly elite retinue rather than some lvl 1 nobody that can instantly get them with reforms.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,148
    No thanks. Like it as it is. No need to dumb it down.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,697
    No thanks. Like it as it is. No need to dumb it down.

Look, you can still have class specific units. But Militia upgrades being tech locked + class locked is just too much. Granted, you have a very large unit pool to choose from at high level (+ when Emperor) like this but yeah, choices, diversity, something something helping the AI get their unit upgrades. (Because it does help them)

Also if you want to see "too many units" in a recruitment pool.
    But hey, they are bandits, scratch the rules, scratch the paywalls, yaarrr

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • shattishatti Registered Users Posts: 750
    edited March 20
    Dumb mod is better than alien wtf mood
    ____________________________Total War: Three Kingdoms mods______________________________
    -Records Mod: Classic Total War https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229620309
    -Court Actions & Politics https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2525984504
    -Big Dong https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585802057&searchtext=

• LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,148
    It’s just not fun to choose between 20+ units. Normally you choose the same units anyway. Really don’t see the point and also seems not to fit with the game design either.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,697
    edited March 20
    It’s just not fun to choose between 20+ units.

Well it's debatable, the ideas are roughly "What is unit quality" & "What is the unit role". Look at Yuan Shao & Cao Cao army compositions now. Cao Cao Tiger Cubs are everywhere because Yellow Cav > Red Cav and Tiger Cub are just that good. Yuan Shao AI spams Ye Vanguard units like no tomorrow. So yeah, Cao Cao & Yuan Shao don't care about the system anymore anyways already.

And it's not like it mattered for the player either to begin with since we have some of the best units in the game (imho) tied to the tech tree. With no form/restriction to them as well. (Hello Onyx Dragons)

- Quality is addressed through general levels (Peasant & Militia, FFA, Regular troops from rank 3 onward, Veterans at rank 6 and Elites at rank 8).
    - What is the unit role is a bit more blurred but typically as far as the baseline units go (Militias) their role is quite distinct. And class specific units should typically be straight up upgrades OR fill the niche better than what the regular Militia upgrades do. (Spear Guards > Ji Infantry, that's true right now. Jian Swordgurads > Sabre Infantry, not true)

I took it to the extreme with the bandits (to the point it looks gross even), but it sorta makes sense because these units are locked to regions, so depending on what you unlock, you get different units anyways.
    Post edited by Rewan on

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • VandicusVandicus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 321
    Sentinels getting ranged buffs is a great point. The system is in need of an overhaul. I'm agnostic on the design direction but clearly many parts of it have been changed without the core of the system having been updated.

Remember when peasants/militia used to scale really well because of how powerful levels were?
  • VarnigusVarnigus Registered Users Posts: 6
    I quite like it the way it is. Everyone has their somewhat-unique role to play.
  • crazymissile_88crazymissile_88 Registered Users Posts: 27
    The problem is that AI doesn't know how to take advantage of the class restrictions on recruitment. You get strategists running around with lance cav militia and so on.

It also makes no sense characters can recruit outside of their class for dragon and imperial units, but not something as simple as archers for sentinels.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    I agree with Rewan that the units being locked behind the reform tree massively hinders the AI in fielding decent armies.
  • zakufa782zakufa782 Registered Users Posts: 153
    edited March 24
    I use the mod Kuzhu's Wuxing Recruitment, which allows Han generals to recruit medium units from the element they generate, so commander can recruit metal units, sentinel can recruit water units like, strategies can recruit wood units, champion can recruit fire units and vanguard can recruit earth unit. I think this is a more balanced option than allowing every general to recruit every type of troops.