Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Kislev or Cathay who will be more popular?

Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,067
Welcome one, welcome all, I hope everyone either had, or shall have a good day, if it's night make sure you sleep right, have a bed time it's good for you.

I am here to present my unbiased question as to which race will be most popular in TWW3? Kislev or Cathay? I haven't included any individual gods as it's seemingly obvious none of them will be anywhere close to either, and collectively wouldn't be fair. Talk about that if you like though, s'all good, just be chill.

Now to my mind I think Cathay's the obvious frontrunner. It's very likely to have a starting character that's got a bunch of signs saying "NEWBS PLAY ME" directed at him. Kislev on the other hand.... their whole thing was doing it tough. They'll presumably have some easy starts, but I think they're less likely to be the newb race overall. Cathay's also likely to have a lot of newb friendly strategies. Elite infantry here, ranged there, conventional strats. Kislev's a bit more hit and run, attrition kind of deal. Potentially anyway.

I also think aesthetically Cathay will have a lot more going for it. Bear Cavalry is a top tier unit, but I'm not sure Kislev will have a whole lot of casual pleasing aesthetic depth while Cathay? C stands for Colour bay bay. While they may not have anything as meme worthy as Bear Cavalry (top tier memes that) but they've got a whole hell of a lot of potential for cool monsters, units, and just cool looking troops overall.

So right now I'd lean about 60% to Cathay being more popular, 40% Kislev. Thoughts?

Also, sidenote: Please don't get political or any of that jazz. Thanks.
"There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

Comments

• damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 1,161
    KISLEV
    BsFG dwarf
  • HappyBoomerHappyBoomer Registered Users Posts: 257
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 4,129
    Empire for some reason.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,896
    I really hope this ends up depending on the quality of the faction. However, I do think Cathay will have the stand out/epic units due to its perceived power and size within the world.
  • HighPriest_AstragothHighPriest_Astragoth Registered Users Posts: 600
    In the beginning it will be Cathay, by the end of development through all the DLC's it will be Kislev. At least I think thats how it will go.
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • MahDogMahDog Registered Users Posts: 62
    Who cares gimme chaos KISLEV!
    Let the galaxy burn
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,576
    edited April 7
    I'm pretty sure the bears take the cake for meme reasons.

Note, not Kislev, but bears in particular. And because of them, Kislev.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• GrenefellGrenefell Registered Users Posts: 253
    It'll definitely be interesting to see, certainly I think Kislev has an initial edge. In that they have memes and are technically present in the game already.

I think that Cathay will have a flashier aesthetic and possibly more variety of unit type, at least to begin with.

So I have no idea, but feel it could go either way.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 7,195
    Who knows? Cathay is nothing at this point, has no framework, no basis to make any kind of determination.

Kislev.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,217
    Probably Kislev.
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 806
    Kislev?

Kislev.
  • MightfoMightfo Registered Users Posts: 198
    Excitement currently favors Cathay.

But what happens depends on how the factions play out.

Kislev may end up being more grounded and less fantasy - "Here's some humans with normal melee and ranged weapons, cavalry, guns, oh- and bears, and they come from a few different cultures so that spices things up" with a side of ice magic and maybe a bit of hag witch stuff.

Cathay is wide open to being a lot more fantasy- dragons, possibly vampires, animated statues, strange religious cults, who knows what else.

That distinction, in conjunction with how popular Cathay's new aesthetic ends up being, will probably decide the popularity of each generally. Will people get excited about Cathay's feel, in the various ways that other factions make them excited on a very immediate visceral level?

However, if Kislev leans on certain elements, like more hag witch stuff and weird eastern European folklore stuff, that could change the dynamic. An emphasis on being a determined bastion vs Chaos could also get people really attached to Kislev the way they're attached to Empire.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    For me its cathay but Im also a asiaphile so my opinion is pretty straight forward, Kislev is pretty cool though!
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,744
    For me? Cathay. I've long wanted Kislev, but between the two Cathay seems more.... exciting? I guess because it's more of an unknown. I've wanted Kislev for a long time because of what I knew would be in it. Now I want Cathay because I want to see what they do with it.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,141
    I am definitely more excited about kislev right now. It is hard for me to be excited for something I have not seen anything from. But from what I have read on this forum cathay could be more exciting depending on what direction CA are going to take it.
    If you see this lost little fellow please help him find his way home.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,195
    I'm not really excited to play Cathay... but I am oddly excited to see what CA have done with them. This is brand new territory in a world I thought I'd lost - I'm so glad to see fantasy live on.

Hopefully Warhammer 3 offers us an alternative ending where the forces of order somehow prevail and stop the end times.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,299
    Exciting flashy uniqueness actually HURTS a race when we’re talking about most played.

The MOST popular races so far have been those that feel more like ‘standard’, introductory Total War-style factions (Empire and High Elves).

Flashier stuff, like Lizardmen, has still been POPULAR, but not the MOST popular.

As another poster suggested, after DLC’s are released, the player base winds down, and the percentage of that playerbase shifts from ‘strategy generalists’, to ‘die hard fans’.... then it’s possible for more unconventional races to pick up steam.

Like right now, Skaven I think have consistently polled as the most popular race, but that was definitely not the case at launch. Iirc, they were actually the least played ‘core’ race at launch, but it’s been awhile, so my memory is hazy on their exact placement. High Elves were #1 though.

TL;DR: Cathay has a chance to EVENTUALLY become the most popular race. Maybe. But all their strengths.... their obscure unconventional elements....actually hurt them as the previously most popular races, especially at launch, have been the more traditional/vanilla/familiar-feeling ones.

So Kislev.

P.S. X factor here being the Three Kingdoms/Chinese market popularity. It’s very possible that Cathay crushes it in terms of popularity simply due to the Chinese/Three Kingdoms transfers lending their weight to the pre existing pool of fans that Cathay will naturally have from the regular Total War/Warhammer fans.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,110
    It depends how they do them in game. Both if done right will be insanely popular. Though Cathay also has the chance of being a jack of all trades power house like the empire.

For me they will no doubt be my favourite in game human factions.

Cathay is most exciting for me because I don't really have expectations or a true idea of what they will have. Kislev is exciting because I know what Kislev should be and they have bear cav but I'm more worried about them doing Kislev justice, whilst Cathay are new so they will be done justice
  • Prince_AlucardPrince_Alucard Registered Users Posts: 556
    Valkaar said:

Exciting flashy uniqueness actually HURTS a race when we’re talking about most played.

The MOST popular races so far have been those that feel more like ‘standard’, introductory Total War-style factions (Empire and High Elves).

Flashier stuff, like Lizardmen, has still been POPULAR, but not the MOST popular.

As another poster suggested, after DLC’s are released, the player base winds down, and the percentage of that playerbase shifts from ‘strategy generalists’, to ‘die hard fans’.... then it’s possible for more unconventional races to pick up steam.

Like right now, Skaven I think have consistently polled as the most popular race, but that was definitely not the case at launch. Iirc, they were actually the least played ‘core’ race at launch, but it’s been awhile, so my memory is hazy on their exact placement. High Elves were #1 though.

TL;DR: Cathay has a chance to EVENTUALLY become the most popular race. Maybe. But all their strengths.... their obscure unconventional elements....actually hurt them as the previously most popular races, especially at launch, have been the more traditional/vanilla/familiar-feeling ones.

So Kislev.

P.S. X factor here being the Three Kingdoms/Chinese market popularity. It’s very possible that Cathay crushes it in terms of popularity simply due to the Chinese/Three Kingdoms transfers lending their weight to the pre existing pool of fans that Cathay will naturally have from the regular Total War/Warhammer fans.

Yeah I agree. Cathay despite being a human faction, from how it's been described and from what very little we've seen, it's way closer to LM or TKs than the Empire or Bret. Lots of sorcerers and non-human units. Lots. From all we do know anyway.

Kislev, outside of the ice witches and bear cav, are pretty normal. Perhaps even a bit more grounded than the empire even.

So outside of China, I see Kislev as the faction people go to. Though I guess it really depends on how Cathay ends up, but from what we know it's very fantasy heavy.
  • RowdyRowdy Registered Users Posts: 58
    For me it is Kislev
    They are the bastion holding back the tides of chaos. I have wanted to play them since TWW1

I have a question, do you think by the end of game 3 Kislev and Cathay will be more powerful then the game 1 races?
    The game two races have surpassed the game one races due to power creep,
    Do you think that will continue and the game 3 races will get all the love and game 1 will remain forgotten?
    For me its the game one races i like the most, and races being introduced in game 3 are the left overs. i dont want them to be the best choices, but i fear thats what will happen.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,429
    Depends as for pure meme power kislev is high as we do not know cathay stuff, but this can change

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Prince_AlucardPrince_Alucard Registered Users Posts: 556
    Rowdy said:

For me it is Kislev
    They are the bastion holding back the tides of chaos. I have wanted to play them since TWW1

I have a question, do you think by the end of game 3 Kislev and Cathay will be more powerful then the game 1 races?
    The game two races have surpassed the game one races due to power creep,
    Do you think that will continue and the game 3 races will get all the love and game 1 will remain forgotten?
    For me its the game one races i like the most, and races being introduced in game 3 are the left overs. i dont want them to be the best choices, but i fear thats what will happen.

Hard to say. But are you talking about actual power or content? Because those can be two very different things. Greenskins are up there for the most powerful race as of right now, pretty good spot content wise as of now. And I can see them getting more.

The Empire? Surely going to get more content in game 3. The ones I'd be more worried about are Vampire Counts and especially the Dwarfs. Though they could do a total 180 if they get proper overhauls in game 3, easy to fit them in game 3 too.

In general, much easier to fit in game 1 stuff into game 3 than it is to fit game 2 stuff into game 3, aside from Skaven of course.

As for the game 3 races, I could see them being spread thinner than game 1/2 races.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,836
    In my opinion, which can be seen as an objective fact, Kislev will be more popular.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 2,002
    Mmm, I’m not too interested in those two.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m a big fan of what CA is doing with TWW3. The amount of diversity and immersion is already impressive without knowing what will the pre purchase bonus be.
    It’s just that none of those two factions really attract me as much as the Empire, Chaos and Vampire Counts attracted me in 2016. And of course no faction can attract me like the Druchii in the second game.

However, I can’t wait to play in the third game as Khorne, and Slaanesh in a minor grade.
    Between the two factions you say, I’m not sure. I’m a lore freak, so I’m more attached to Kislev with its bears and possible mechanics centered around defending against wave and wave of Chaos.
    But if they bring new lore to Cathay in form of novels or codex, I think that country can have a really big potential. I hope it just comes with some lore to enjoy it more. I wouldn’t like Cathay is treated like Repanse or Vlad, with no lore explanation at all behind its inclusion.

I think this is a great opportunity, and I’m really excited. Even more than when I awaited for my loved Druchii.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,579
    Cathay. There be dragons.
  • GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 369
    People have made good points when it comes to units and play styles, but let's not forget location! Cathay's positioning is 100% fresh and that will absolutely make a difference in regards to its popularity. Not that I particularly care. I'll get around to all the LL's eventually.

Cathay's definitely flashier, though. Celestial dragons and terracotta warriors may be big pulls or detractors for more traditional players. I'm excited for Cathayan artillery myself. In real life, gunpowder originated in China (not sure if that carried over to WHFB or not) so it could be pretty neat to see different tech levels in their artillery tiers like bolt throwers to organ guns.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,204
    Even though I'm hyped as hell for Cathay this could go either way for me and its the same with the fanbase. I will say initial hype favors cathay for sure because we know next to nothing and speculation is going wild. Another big factor is how the two factions will play on the campaign map. I can love how an army plays in battle but if their campaign is too boring or overly complicated or bad IMO then it will turn me off big time like Brettonia.
    Prophet of Cathay.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 895
    Pislev.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • SnoopacSnoopac Registered Users Posts: 414
    edited April 8
    Personally, I think Kislev will be the most popular faction for two primary reasons:

1. I think Kislev will be more popular partially just because it's real Warhammer, while Cathay is mostly made up from scratch barring a few things that have been mentioned, it doesn't have a great deal of lore so he's kinda now what people think of when they think Warhammer- but perhaps I'm wrong and that's not really a factor at all.

2. Kislev I feel will be much more generic. People tend to gravitate towards the most bog standard, basic good guys, you know? Empire in Warhammer 1 and High Elves in Warhammer 2 are great examples. They're both pretty standard, with High Elves only really standing out with their Dragons and Phoenixes. I think Kislev will be very close to the Empire, as, in reality even though they have cool Bear cav, that bear cav is pretty much just Demigryph Knights, the rest of the roster won't be super ground breaking, but it'll be safe, fun and easy to use and I think this will be the first option the average casual player will go for. While I think Cathay might have some wackier stuff that might not fly so well with the people looking for the most mundane.

Myself personally I'm way more excited for Cathay, I'm very much looking forward to what they're going to bring. I'd prefer Kislev in the grand scheme of things just because I hate Kislev, Tilea, Border Princes and Estallia being Empire clones, but I'm most excited to play Cathay for sure; after I've done a Nurgle campaign, a Daemons Undivided campaign (if that truly is the 7th launch faction!) and a Khorne campaign that is.
  • cossacks368cossacks368 Registered Users Posts: 115