Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which Type of Wizard Fits Best with Volkmar Thematically?

GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 359
My assumption would be celestial, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Comments

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,424
    Light Wizards obviously, they're the most connected to faith.

Fire maybe to complement Volkmar's fiery personality.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,826
    Definitely fire he does fire damage so use fire always fire
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,288
    Fire or Light indeed seems more fitting.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,923
    Considering he fights with bound Banishments and a ‘Light’ aesthetic bombardment spell, along with Battle Prayers that function very similar to Brionnas Timewarp and Pha’s Protection.... I’d say Light, hands down is the more thematic choice.

If you want to have more tactical variety, or fewer redundant spell types... then yes a different lore might make more sense. But for thematic roleplay, Light is the best fit.

Even in attire/personality, Heavens casters appear more scientific/academic. While Light Wizards dress-present like bishops/religious leaders.
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,746
    Light wizard, ofcourse
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 436
    Arch lector lord with lore of light/heavens

Huntsman General with the lore of beasts/jade(he looks like he just came out of a jungle)

General of the empire with Fire/Death/shadows

So for volkmar i would go light/heavens
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,802

Huntsman General with the lore of beasts/jade(he looks like he just came out of a jungle)

Huntsman General should be paired with fire shouldn't it, don't Huntsman get abilities that make enemy units more susceptible to fire damage?
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 890

My assumption would be celestial, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Celestial, White and Jade. The White Wizard to cast Net of Amyntok, and the Celestial to cast Comet of Cassandora on the netted unit. Jade to stick with the Flagellants and heal the latter non-stop while Volkmar and the Priests cast prayers.
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 775

Huntsman General should be paired with fire shouldn't it, don't Huntsman get abilities that make enemy units more susceptible to fire damage?
    Indeed. The Huntsman General and Bright Wizard are an excellent combo.

For Volkmar I like to give him the Light Wizard, mainly so I can net enemy lords/heroes and Volkmar can run them over with his popemobile.
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 1,054
    Math wizard ofcourse
    BsFG dwarf
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,131
    Probably celestial wizard because of the connection to the twin-tailed comet. A light wizard is an ok alternative.

But no wizard is probably the most accurate choice.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 436

Yes they are quite good together but i usually build thematic armies and fire wizard don't really fit the theme of ''colonial army'' but of course you could argue that napalms in jungle sound amazing.
  • MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 271
    In the Novel Sword of Vengeance Volkmar was accompanied by Three Magic Orders.

Celestial Wizards
    Fire Wizards
    Light Wizards
  • GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 359
    Crossil said:

Probably celestial wizard because of the connection to the twin-tailed comet. A light wizard is an ok alternative.

Interesting, why would so say no wizard?

Thank you all for the replies. I made the post in a rather tired state, so that is perhaps why I landed on celestial rather than light. Still, seems like either would work.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,131
    edited April 10

Crossil said:

Interesting, why would so say no wizard?

Thank you all for the replies. I made the post in a rather tired state, so that is perhaps why I landed on celestial rather than light. Still, seems like either would work.
    Because if we're going for thematics then the religious/zealot groups of the Empire aren't really connected to magic. Or at least, no order has any sort of excessive connection to them. The proposition of the Celestial Order has some iconic connection, and their work overlaps with that of the Light Wizards from what I gather, but overall there aren't any outstanding connections.

As far as other groups go, any sort of gunpowder/engineer faction would be connected to Gold Wizards. Bright Wizards are the standard issue for the Empire by my reckoning so they overall make sense in a standard Empire army. If you want to build a sort of Witch Hunter or Morr based army you would again be out of luck except for a sort of thematic connection that Amethyst Wizards have with them(and they do take care of the dead to an extent). An Ulrican army could go with Amber.

But overall, having no wizards is fitting for the Empire a lot of times as it is rather peculiar in that they are mentally similar to the Dwarfs with distrust towards magic. As such having no wizards is quite thematic for them if there are no real connections.

Otherwise, you could do as sassori says, add what fits the image. As such Celestial Wizards and Light Wizards do justice to what the Cult of Sigmar represents.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 271
    Volkmar is not quite as conservative as his contemporaries, he is a pragmatist at heart and will not let Dogma get in the way of destroying Chaos. He tamed the puritan witch hunter faction and removed them from positions of power.

Radical (Less Puritan) Witch Hunters will also make use of Wizards in their entourage, mainly Death and Light as they are great at Exorcisms and eliminating Undead.

Empire armies are generally accompanied by Bright mages, as they are the most militaristic Order.

I think it was 7th edition it was incredibly rare for an Empire force to not be accompanied by at least 1 Wizard.

In Volkmars army he had dozens at his disposal.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,807
    You would think it to be the lore of light, given how it seems to align closest thematically, but Sigmar himself is closer associated to the lore of Heavens. So there is a strong argument to be made for celestial wizards as well.
  • Outsider4NOutsider4N Registered Users Posts: 181
    Whenever it is possible I support mighty Volkmar the Grim with priest of plague. If their direct contact for some reasons cannont be then at very least i'll try to accompany Volkmar forces on the map. My plague priests are very fond of grand teogonist company and find his believes and methods to deserve most respectful recognition and appreciation.
  • PPerunPPerun Registered Users Posts: 224
    Shadow
    For where is light, there is shadow
    And Volkmar already has banishment himself

+AP spells help
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 25,261
    Fire to burn all the Heretics.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life