Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Netflix Gotrek & Felix

PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 2,557
edited April 11 in Off Topic General
Do you think the Gotrek & Felix series should get a Netflix adaptation?
No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Registered Users Posts: 1,013
    edited April 11
    Don't get me wrong, i'd love a G&F series but...not on Netflix.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 4,604
    We don't know yet in which platform GW is going to publish it's series, that includes the live action Eisenhorn series or a possible G&F series.

That being said, yes, G&F should be the first live action series of Warhammer Fantasy world similar to how Eisenhorn is the first one for 40k, they touch a bit of every race, a lot of different themes and it's a most light hearted beginning to introduce people to the setting, with comedy, drama, action and other different genres.
  • MadDemiurgMadDemiurg Registered Users Posts: 4,573
    edited April 10
    With the Nerflix latest tendencies and quality:

Summary of the Netflix Witcher adaptation:

I wouldn't mind an HBO or even an Amazon show though.

edited April 11

With how protective GW is of their IP, I don't think Netflix would have a lot of creative liberty, other than maybe OG characters.

For the moment GW strategy seems to be to work directly with serie making companies, the Eisenhorn series is being done by the the guy who made "the Man in the High Castle" , who has a film making company, for examplr, and then they will most likely find a publisher, they don't seem to like the idea of Netflix or HBO having creative power over their IP.
    edited April 11

With how protective GW is of their IP, I don't think Netflix would have a lot of creative liberty, other than maybe OG characters.
    That's why i'm scared too. Imagine if Netflix doesn't adapt the novels and goes for some original stuff 😱

Meh. HBO massacred Lovecraft.
    STARZ could be a solution. Look at Spartacus
    edited April 11

That's why i'm scared too. Imagine if Netflix doesn't adapt the novels and goes for some original stuff 😱
    Then that wouldn't be G&F but an original Warhammer Fantasy series made by Netflix.

If they use the G&F name, they have to follow the history of the books, and again, similar to how GW has to first approve anything that CA adds to the game, they would have to approve of any OG addition to the series.
  • MadDemiurgMadDemiurg Registered Users Posts: 4,573
    edited April 10

Maybe (haven''t seen it) but they've also made some good stuff. Almost everything I've seen that was made by Netflix sucks. Except for maybe some animated series.

• KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 3,130
    edited April 11

They finished wrapping up Spartacus almost a decade ago.

John Milius's Rome was the last good historical/period series.
    edited April 11

Then that wouldn't be G&F but an original Warhammer Fantasy series made by Netflix.

If they use the G&F name, they have to follow the history of the books, and again, similar to how GW has to first approve anything that CA adds to the game, they would have to approve of any OG addition to the series.

Maybe (haven''t seen it) but they've also made some good stuff. Almost everything I've seen that was made by Netflix sucks. Except for maybe some animated series.
    IIRC HBO did also the Watchmen series...and that was horrible.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,344
    edited April 11
    I don't wish to appear to be cursing in church, as it were, but let's be frank and say that while adaptations vary in quality, neither is exactly GW's original writing.... amazing. Or at least not consistently great. There's a lot of really mediocre tripe in there.

IIRC HBO did also the Watchmen series...and that was horrible.

Lmao, so much to unpack from that comment.
    People, calm down, whether you like Netflix or not, doesn't matter, GW is the one that decides how the books are adapted because it's their IP, and GW may be a lot of things, but they are very protective of it's IPs.

That is the reason for why the Eisenhorn series is not being made by a famous company, but by the company of the guy who made the Man in the High Castle, who also is the director.

If anything, Netflix or other plaforms would be the publishers, not the ones making the series, the same way SEGA is the publiser and CA the company that makes the game.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Registered Users Posts: 1,402
    edited April 10
    It depends on how much creative liberty they get with the IP. All of the streaming services (and corporations in general) have the same grotesque ideology. It doesn't matter if it's Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, you're going to get the same outcome if they have control of it.

An animated series would work best for a fantasy setting (don't want another Warcraft movie CGI fest). Castlevania, Dragon Prince and DOTA: Dragon's Blood were all good.

As long as GW tells them they have to stick to the source material as written it should be fine.

If I get to choose who makes it, I would love to see Studio 4°C (the company that did Berserk: The Golden Age trilogy) get their hands on Gotrek. The fight scenes would be amazing.

It depends on how much creative liberty they get with the IP. All of the streaming services (and corporations in general) have the same grotesque ideology. It doesn't matter if it's Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, you're going to get the same outcome if they have control of it.

An animated series would work best for a fantasy setting (don't want another Warcraft movie CGI fest). Castlevania, Dragon Prince and DOTA: Dragon's Blood were all good.

As long as GW tells them they have to stick to the source material as written it should be fine.

If I get to choose who makes it, I would love to see Studio 4°C (the company that did Berserk: The Golden Age trilogy) get their hands on Gotrek. The fight scenes would be amazing.

I think that when it come to animation, they are going to keep things in the house, as seen with how they recently bringed on board a bunch of fan animators, and they recently created a Warhammer Entertainment department inside the company, already with a director and all.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,355
    It's not just what network gets it. Doesn't matter if it's Netflix, Amazon, HBO, any of the main channels, or a production company outside of a channel.

What writers and directors can have huge influence on all of this. Why Netflix is all over from quality and all the rest.
  • mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Ya definitely HBO would be ideal here. And after the success of a fantasy series there with GOT there is a base for fantasy series. That and add all warhammer fans along with DnD too would enjoy that setting.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,026
    A bit too niche I guess, but it would be cool.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 6,971
    I think if they did do it then it would likely be an animated series, in which case Netflix would be the publisher, not the producer (though they love to slap their name on everything). In that case I would be happy.

As a live action adaptation.... IDK, I liked witcher but it was carried by Cavill in the first series, whilst I liked how Yennefer was played (even if skeptical originally), there were a lot of issues, most of all the decision to split the series to focus on 3 characters which was unneccesary, confusing, and generally fractured the series which was always going to feel a bit disjointed due to its focus on the shorts (they should have kept the focus on Geralt, lead with the main character and the written material, save the money spent on the battle which should have been off screen for good CG or better practical effects for the dragon...)

Well, rant over but in conclusion only if it is handled as an animation with Netflix having minimal creative control. GW and the animation studio, otherwise I fear we would have cutaways throughout the whole set of stories to Kat fighting BM for no apparent reason or something.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,946

Too much politically correct and forced LGBTQ for my taste. If you have watched Netflix's Troy then you know what i'm talking about.

They used the Witcher name, yet the massacred the books, stories and characters
    edited April 11
    This is Netflix we are talking about. In the Witcher they turned Humans and elves being in conflict over land and kingdoms getting into a series of wars which over hundreds of year caused the elves to be driven away, into elves taught humans magic and then humans killed the elves.

edited April 11

They used the Witcher name, yet the massacred the books, stories and characters
    The Witcher IP is not as controlled as any of the GW IPs, if they use the G&F name, they have to follow the books, because GW is the one that aproves all things made with it's IPs.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,435
    edited April 11

This is Netflix we are talking about. In the Witcher they turned Humans and elves being in conflict over land and kingdoms getting into a series of wars which over hundreds of year caused the elves to be driven away, into elves taught humans magic and then humans killed the elves.

That was still there though. How did that go away.
    It still looked faithful for the books
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,853
    Not related to any Total War game. Moved to Off-Topic.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 2,557
    edited April 11
    Xenos7777 said:

A bit too niche I guess, but it would be cool.

It's niche mostly because Warhammer Fantasy Battles was completely overshadowed by 40,000. And the average 40k fan barely aknowledged the existence of WFB. Why do you think GW desrroyed the setting and replaced it with Age of Sigmar?

No i'm not angry, what makes you think of that?
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.

Spartacus was tasteless drek with none of the charm of GoT imho.

saweendra said:

That was still there though. How did that go away.
    It still looked faithful for the books
    Because they completely changed it to make humans all in the wrong. It's not faithfully to the books at all, for a start humans already had magic during the first landing, they used it to lesson the storms.

No thanks. Spartacus turned me off pretty quickly.