Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Legitimate Question About 1 Account

ChoraChora Registered Users Posts: 259
edited April 14 in Off Topic General
I saw in the forum rules that users are only allowed to have one account. Many times on this forum I’ve seen what very blatantly appears to be people using secondary accounts to pretend to support themselves in arguments or maintain that their views represent those of the community.

Sorry if this question is silly because of how the tech involved works, I’m no expert on these matters.

Obviously there’s limitations in policing people that go out of their way to use a second IP address but are you going to actively be doing anything (monitoring ip of posters etc.) to watch for this behaviour? Or is it just to have the rule on the books for the odd time the user clearly outs themselves?

Personally I find using multiple accounts to try and win online arguments (lol even sounds ridiculous) pretty pitiful and I would love this to be actively enforced, if possible but I’d love to know either way, as sometimes things around here can be a little frustrating and I think it might help feel like conversations are more legitimate.

Comments

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,584
    Dupe accounts is bad mkay

Don't do that mkay

"Yum Yum"
  • BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,069
    I made a parody account of a certain notorious elf poster one time and the moderators found out real quick. So yeah they have some tech stuff going on, or I somehow outed myself, but I really doubt that.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 383
    Chora said:

Personally I find using multiple accounts to try and win online arguments (lol even sounds ridiculous) pretty pitiful and I would love this to be actively enforced, if possible but I’d love to know either way, as sometimes things around here can be a little frustrating and I think it might help feel like conversations are more legitimate.

so in the end you actually care.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,629
    edited April 14
    The moderation team does monitor for duplicate accounts as far as it has the capability to do so. Unfortunately that capability does not always match the ability of users to create such accounts. There are set procedures followed but they do not always prove conclusive in establishing whether or not an account is a duplicate.

If you suspect a duplicate account use the report thread to alert the moderation team, giving you reasons for the suspicion.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • ChoraChora Registered Users Posts: 259

Chora said:

so in the end you actually care.

I don’t get what you mean? Of course I care, that’s why I’m asking...

The moderation team does monitor for duplicate accounts as far as it has the capability to do so. Unfortunately that capability does not always match the ability of users to create such accounts. There are set procedures followed but they do not always prove conclusive in establishing whether or not an account is a duplicate.

If you suspect a duplicate account use the report thread to alert the moderation team, giving you reasons for the suspicion.

Thanks! I don’t have any suspicions to share or anything I’m just happy to know it’s an active thing. I dislike rules like j walking, either it matters or it doesn’t. And I understand if there’s limitations, no problem with that.

I’m worried this thread will generate some negativity and I’ve got my answer, feel free to close it up or whatever but no pressure either eay
    Bayes said:

I made a parody account of a certain notorious elf poster one time and the moderators found out real quick. So yeah they have some tech stuff going on, or I somehow outed myself, but I really doubt that.

Thanks for the feedback too, and I couldn’t help but laugh lol
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,629
    As you are satisfied with your answer I'll close the thread.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
This discussion has been closed.