Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What race/faction you are according to the warhammer world similarity with our own world?

Comments

• KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 3,047
    ArneSo said:

I'm romanian and live on the South-Eastern side of the Carpathians (World's Edge Mountains) so I guess I'm a Border Prince. Bucharest should be Akendorf.

Nah mate you are a „bloody“ Sylvanian. Please don’t bite me. 😅

• KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 3,047

Reeks said:

I am from the sea.....as my tiny country is not showcased in the wh world.

My ancestors were vikings tho so i'l go with norscan raider.

Hint: we once took thw feeble island of Albion for our own.

FOR RAGNAR!

FOR VALHALLA!

Iceland!
    Long live Jon Pall SIgmarsson!
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,776
    ArneSo said:

I'm romanian and live on the South-Eastern side of the Carpathians (World's Edge Mountains) so I guess I'm a Border Prince. Bucharest should be Akendorf.

Nah mate you are a „bloody“ Sylvanian. Please don’t bite me. 😅
    Sylvania is Transylvania.

Please view my poorly drawn maps. The dot is where I live (Bucharest), and the big circle is Transylvania, compared to the Warhammer equivalent. Tough I guess Sylvania might be better, considering that Border Princes consider this ****hole

a large town.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,984
    Carcassonne. The real city of Carcassonne is 40 minutes drive from my place, the other side of the Black Mountain (but the real one, not the goblin infested one)
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 23,597
    sykall said:

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Somewhere in the empire I guess, though it is hard to pinpoint the equivalent locations to central europe. Its based on the holy roman empire after all, which was known to be a mess and all over the place.

Are the netherlands and belgium marienburg or nordland? Where chezchia? Not were warhammers praaag lies, thats for sure.
    Maybe Ostermark? Is poland a total part of kislev or does it already start in ostland? Where are Austria and the switzerland? Averland and Solland maybe? Or are the grey mountain dwarfs switzerland?

So all I can guess for me is somewhere in the empire, probably somewhere between Westerland, Middenland and Nordland. So maybe Lauerlorn Forest? Or shall that be Luxembourg? Or is Luxenbourg part of the Westerlands too?

I think geographically the Empire is more based on modern day Germany and all the Bundesländer. All the Slavic parts of the HRE are rolled into Kislev I guess, hence Praag.

Nordland = Schleswig-Holstein
    Ostland = Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
    Ostermark = Brandenburg & Saxony
    Middenland = Lower Saxony
    Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Reikland = Nordrhein-Westfalen
    Wissenland = Rheinland-Pfalz
    Averland = Baden-Württemberg
    Stirland & the Moot = Bavaria
    Solland = Saarland
    Talabecland = Hesse & Thuringia

This does not fit, if we are talking about geophraical similarities. E.g. lower saxony has a huge coastline, and its inhabitatns there there have closer ties to the netherlands then to the people living in the central harz or elsewhere in southern lower saxony, historicaly speaking.

Also the empire of warhammer is not based on modern germany, but on the medival holy roman empire, which included at some point: Austria, Bohemia (Czechia and Slowakia), parts of modern day Poland, the entirety of the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, nothern Italy and more.
    But as feudalsim makes everything complicated it is also difficult to determine which parts were de jure or de facto part of the HRR. Anyway, the HRR was a hot mess of a country and covered terriotory all over central europe. So the empire provines in Warhammer are much more likley to correspond with any of these HRE terrirories, than with modern germany.
    E.g. I often think, that Poland, or at least the terriotories hold by the HRR during medieval periods, fit Ostland quite well, whereas Ostermark fits bohemia the best. Reikland would then be the Rheinland in a geographical sense, not a political one, whereas the Marienburg symbolize the medival flemish and friesan trade cities, with the rest of the Westerlands containing the other parts of the coastlands.
    But as I said it is hard to pinpoint the exact equivalencies, due to the Empire being a distorted HRE.
    Yeah I know. That’s why I think the Empire is a weird mix of HRE and modern day Germany. Both were a inspiration for GW.

Historically and culturally definitely HRE but geographically Modern Germany. Not 1:1 of course, that’s why Middenland hasn’t a Coastline.

Hence we have Altdorf as the Capital, since back then when GW created the lore the western German capital was Bonn.

If you look at the different themes of most of the Elector provinces it gets a bit more obvious. Especially since GW wasn’t known for their creativity...

So with Reikland we have the most populated area which is NRW with the Ruhrpott area and Bonn as the old capital before the reunification.

Wissenland and especially Nuln are known for their craftsmanship and modern industry. Especially Stuttgart as the centre of automobile industry and the surrounding areas are pretty much the inspiration for Nuln.

Averland is famous for its mild climate and good wines which basically represents Baden-Württemberg in a very cliche way.

Bavarias cliche is pretty much Beer and Food as well as being a bit more traditional than other parts. So the Stirland/Moot comparison is fitting. Especially the Moot Part is quite funny.

We should not forget that GW back in the 80s were a bunch of nerds from England who created WH as a caricature of our world so everything is overly cheeky and cliched here.

I would agree about the geographic HRE comparison if Kislev wouldn’t exist. But everything from Poland, Hungary, Czech, Lithuania, and Russia is rolled into Kislev thematically.
    Keep in mind that the WH World was created in the 80s during the Cold War.

So to summarise, thematically, historically and Culturally the Empire is 100% based on the HRE but when GW created the map, they took a lot of inspiration from modern day Germany.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Kiwi123Kiwi123 Registered Users Posts: 634
    ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

I either don't exist, am some form of sea monster, or am part of an (as of yet) undiscovered series of islands.

This is as I live in New Zealand and like many real world maps, the WH world maps completely ignore us.

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

I either don't exist, am some form of sea monster, or am part of an (as of yet) undiscovered series of islands.

This is as I live in New Zealand and like many real world maps, the WH world maps completely ignore us.

Then you are from Lumbria.
    NZ is too far south to be Lumbria
    Dunedin
    I liked Dunedin when I was there. City has a very European touch.
    It ain't a bad place tbh. Small enough and Close enough to all the fun things, but big enough that it feels like a city, if you get my meaning
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,427
    edited April 22

Beef545 said:

Nice idea, might get to know each other a little better, closing bonds is a good thing especially for such small communities as this forum.

For me, it is Kislev, unfortunately

You see, I know another Kislevite here who sounds very similarly like you...

You could be friends, you know...
    You could even say that they're joined at the hip. One hip.

As for where I'd be from. EDIT: Middenland.
    Post edited by ShiroAmakusa75 on

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 615
    Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

Dunedin
    Same, but now in Melbourne.
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 2,313
    The closest geographical and historical cultural analogue is Marienburg. geographically that's close but it's hard to say because Bretonnia and the Empire aren't perfect analogues of that region of europe.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,887
    edited April 22
    ArneSo said:

sykall said:

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Somewhere in the empire I guess, though it is hard to pinpoint the equivalent locations to central europe. Its based on the holy roman empire after all, which was known to be a mess and all over the place.

Are the netherlands and belgium marienburg or nordland? Where chezchia? Not were warhammers praaag lies, thats for sure.
    Maybe Ostermark? Is poland a total part of kislev or does it already start in ostland? Where are Austria and the switzerland? Averland and Solland maybe? Or are the grey mountain dwarfs switzerland?

So all I can guess for me is somewhere in the empire, probably somewhere between Westerland, Middenland and Nordland. So maybe Lauerlorn Forest? Or shall that be Luxembourg? Or is Luxenbourg part of the Westerlands too?

I think geographically the Empire is more based on modern day Germany and all the Bundesländer. All the Slavic parts of the HRE are rolled into Kislev I guess, hence Praag.

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

This does not fit, if we are talking about geophraical similarities. E.g. lower saxony has a huge coastline, and its inhabitatns there there have closer ties to the netherlands then to the people living in the central harz or elsewhere in southern lower saxony, historicaly speaking.

Also the empire of warhammer is not based on modern germany, but on the medival holy roman empire, which included at some point: Austria, Bohemia (Czechia and Slowakia), parts of modern day Poland, the entirety of the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, nothern Italy and more.
    But as feudalsim makes everything complicated it is also difficult to determine which parts were de jure or de facto part of the HRR. Anyway, the HRR was a hot mess of a country and covered terriotory all over central europe. So the empire provines in Warhammer are much more likley to correspond with any of these HRE terrirories, than with modern germany.
    E.g. I often think, that Poland, or at least the terriotories hold by the HRR during medieval periods, fit Ostland quite well, whereas Ostermark fits bohemia the best. Reikland would then be the Rheinland in a geographical sense, not a political one, whereas the Marienburg symbolize the medival flemish and friesan trade cities, with the rest of the Westerlands containing the other parts of the coastlands.
    But as I said it is hard to pinpoint the exact equivalencies, due to the Empire being a distorted HRE.
    Yeah I know. That’s why I think the Empire is a weird mix of HRE and modern day Germany. Both were a inspiration for GW.

Historically and culturally definitely HRE but geographically Modern Germany. Not 1:1 of course, that’s why Middenland hasn’t a Coastline.

Hence we have Altdorf as the Capital, since back then when GW created the lore the western German capital was Bonn.

If you look at the different themes of most of the Elector provinces it gets a bit more obvious. Especially since GW wasn’t known for their creativity...

So with Reikland we have the most populated area which is NRW with the Ruhrpott area and Bonn as the old capital before the reunification.

Wissenland and especially Nuln are known for their craftsmanship and modern industry. Especially Stuttgart as the centre of automobile industry and the surrounding areas are pretty much the inspiration for Nuln.

Averland is famous for its mild climate and good wines which basically represents Baden-Württemberg in a very cliche way.

Bavarias cliche is pretty much Beer and Food as well as being a bit more traditional than other parts. So the Stirland/Moot comparison is fitting. Especially the Moot Part is quite funny.

We should not forget that GW back in the 80s were a bunch of nerds from England who created WH as a caricature of our world so everything is overly cheeky and cliched here.

I would agree about the geographic HRE comparison if Kislev wouldn’t exist. But everything from Poland, Hungary, Czech, Lithuania, and Russia is rolled into Kislev thematically.
    Keep in mind that the WH World was created in the 80s during the Cold War.

So to summarise, thematically, historically and Culturally the Empire is 100% based on the HRE but when GW created the map, they took a lot of inspiration from modern day Germany.
    Wouldn't Nuln be a much better space for the Ruhrpott? The Ruhrpott was the heart of german industriy and Nuln is the heart of the industry of the Empire. According to your own basis of interpretation these things would fit much better together. But the Ruhrpott is not in Badenwürttemberg.
    And then why is Sylvania, which is obivously based on Romania or Transsylvania part of the Empire then? That is not even near modern germany. And Bonn being the capital only fits so much, as cities like Aachen were too the places were the emperors were crowned.
    Not to mention that Averlands position around the black mountains and bordering sylvania, plus its richness in wine and mild climate would also fit the lowland areas of austria.
    And by the way Lower Saxony without the coastline is not lower saxony at all. This area is a key part of critical importantce to tthat province. But most things the northern german coastlands were important or famous for, were rolled into Marienburg and the Westerlands instead. But the Westerlands are more then just northern germanys coast and lowlands, as they too include elements of belgium and the netherlands, which were part of the HRE, but are not part of germany.
    And middenlands position wihtin the heart of the empire, plus being covered densly in forests and having manysmaller hills, would fit thruingia much better according to your standards.

On the matter of Kislev: yes Kislev is a hotposh of slavic and baltic cultures, with elements of central asian mongol and turkic people thrown in for good measure. However Poland famously got seperated three times between Russia and german states. So that a part of the real world poland would lie in Ostland, and the other in Kislev, would make some sense. And the baltic states were too often under the dominion of russia. The city of Ergengrad may be mostly based on Novgorod, but it could contain baltic influences as well.
    After all, if the Empire is a hotposh of geopgraphical cultures, from the BENELUX states to Romania, so can Kislev be one.

Yes back in the 80's much was created as a parody, however much worldbuilding has been done since then. Not everywhere, but the Old World was a central focus of that worldbuilding.
    And it makes much more sense nowadays to attritbute the empires provinces of the HRE instead of modern germany. You can do it, if you whish. But if leaves many holes and exceptions to be justified retroactivly.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • ProcessingProcessing Czech Republic Registered Users Posts: 443
    ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

I understand you Arne, but even though Empire is basically HRE, location - wise the old World as a whole represent Europe. Bretonnia is France, followed by Marienburg and Reikland, which I would call Germany. You have Sylvania, which is basically Romania (Transylvania) and everything between (Stirland, Talabecland) could be considered nations between Germany and Romania.

I consider myself as Talabeclander, because I live next to Germany and I am not gonna call myself a Kislevite :D
  • ERICdbsERICdbs CataloniaRegistered Users Posts: 623
    I'm either from the north-east of Estalia or Skavenblight, depending on how you put it.
  • ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 572
    Castle Bastonne (West Midlands/England)

i'm a swank bretonnian peasant with infinite drip
    Warhammer 3 = Pogu Content
    If the Empire provinces were to be more than just geographic counterparts to Germanic nations and states, I'd go:

1.Reikland - Austria
    2.Middenland - Prussia
    3.Talabecland - Bavaria
    4.Marienburg - Benelux states
    5.Nordland - Lower Saxony
    6.Ostermark - Brandenburg
    7.Wissenland - Baden-Württemberg
    8.Hochland - Thuringia
    9.Ostland - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
    10.Stirland - Saxony
    11.Averland - Hesse

• ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 572
    edited April 22

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

I understand you Arne, but even though Empire is basically HRE, location - wise the old World as a whole represent Europe. Bretonnia is France, followed by Marienburg and Reikland, which I would call Germany. You have Sylvania, which is basically Romania (Transylvania) and everything between (Stirland, Talabecland) could be considered nations between Germany and Romania.

I consider myself as Talabeclander, because I live next to Germany and I am not gonna call myself a Kislevite :D

i consider bretonnia as UK/France since UK is tiny and isn't really on the warhammer map and they're very close geographically. so why not
    Warhammer 3 = Pogu Content
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 903
    Kislev is my homeland and I'm proud about it!

It saddens me deeply that already two people in this very thread are ashamed about it for some reason. Kislevites and their real-life inspirations are very cool, both Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Mongolia!
    Bereaver said:

It saddens me deeply that already two people in this very thread are ashamed about it for some reason. Kislevites and their real-life inspirations are very cool, both Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Mongolia!

The true Russian counterpart are the Dawi Zharr. Zharr Naggrund is where Moscow would be located.

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 5,644
    Bereaver said:

The image of Kislev is not really appealing.

Bereaver said:

The true Russian counterpart are the Dawi Zharr. Zharr Naggrund is where Moscow would be located.
    While geographically it seems plausible, I think Dawi Zharr to be something more like Middle-Asia countries - Kazakhstan, Turkmenia, Kyrghystan etc.

But yeah, maybe I am opressed slave of Hashut=/
    edited April 22
    Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

While geographically it seems plausible, I think Dawi Zharr to be something more like Middle-Asia countries - Kazakhstan, Turkmenia, Kyrghystan etc.

I think with their heavy emphasis on industrialization and reliance on absorbed "worker-races", the Dawi Zharr are meant to be counterparts to the Soviet Union. They even have a "stony" curtain dividing them from the rest of the world.

Kiwi123 said:

ArneSo said:

Kiwi123 said:

Kiwi123 said:

No way, where in NZ???
    Auckland
    NeoYas said:

Dunedin
    I liked Dunedin when I was there. City has a very European touch.
    It ain't a bad place tbh. Small enough and Close enough to all the fun things, but big enough that it feels like a city, if you get my meaning
    Yeah exactly. Has quite some fun bars too.

I also liked Auckland since I‘m a big city person and my hometown is quite comparable in size to wider Auckland. But public transportation is just so bad... Auckland really needs a Tram or Subway system. Actually wanted to do my Masters there but then covid happened... 🙄

But my favourite place is still Nelson tbh. Small student town with amazing weather and surrounded by many cool places to see. Got lost there for 3 months because it was so much fun. 😂

Damn I miss NZ.
    edited April 22

Bereaver said:

If you see the WEM as akin to the Ural and the Caucasus, then it is not. Moscow is left of these mountain ranges after all. If you want to have a russia or soviet union equivalent, then it would be the industry cities founded east of the Ural by Stalin to push forward the industrialization of the SU.

Otherwise the Darklands themselves appear to be akin to Transoxania, Central Asia from Afghanistan and and Pakistan northwards to Usbekistan and Kazakhstan. But the Dawi-Zarr themselves, with their aesthetics, living in a low plain on the banks of a huge river, building towers akin to ziggurats etc., are more akin to Mesopotamian cultures instead.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 750
    wich creature would come close to a stoner? :) asking for a friend..
    ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    edited April 22
    sykall said:

ALHDON said:

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

i consider bretonnia as UK/France since UK is tiny and isn't really on the warhammer map and they're very close geographically. so why not
    You still have Albion as the geographical Brtianny. Though its poisi

Bereaver said:

If you see the WEM as akin to the Ural and the Caucasus, then it is not. Moscow is left of these mountain ranges after all. If you want to have a russia or soviet union equivalent, then it would be the industry cities founded east of the Ural by Stalin to push forward the industrialization of the SU.

Otherwise the Darklands themselves appear to be akin to Transoxania, Central Asia from Afghanistan and and Pakistan northwards to Usbekistan and Kazakhstan. But the Dawi-Zarr themselves, with their aesthetics, living in a low plain on the banks of a huge river, building towers akin to ziggurats etc., are more akin to Mesopotamian cultures instead.
    I see the Mountains of Mourn as the Caucasus/Ural counterpart. And as I already said, their reliance on industry and worker races makes them counterparts to the Soviet Union, even if aesthetically they're Babylonian.

• Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,776
    wunderb0r said:

wich creature would come close to a stoner? :) asking for a friend..

Night goblins.

Bereaver said:

Chaos Dwarfs are Assyrians and Persians to some degree.

Dark Lands are pretty much modern day Iraq/Iran/Pakistan.

Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

I think with their heavy emphasis on industrialization and reliance on absorbed "worker-races", the Dawi Zharr are meant to be counterparts to the Soviet Union. They even have a "stony" curtain dividing them from the rest of the world.
    Hmm, never thought of it like that! You persuaded me, I'm converting my WH FB citizenship to Zharr Naggrund then, even though my sympathies lie with Kislev.

I suppose that Kislev is Fantasy ancient Rus + Polish + Mongols and Chaos Dwarfs are modern industrial tyranny. Seems fitting.

sykall said:

ALHDON said:

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

Bereaver said:

I see the Mountains of Mourn as the Kaukasus/Ural counterpart.
    But they are supposed to be based on the himalayas, the altai mountain range and others in this area. Suppsedly the highest mountains in the world. Next to Ind and Cathay with warhammer Yetis in them. Great steppes in the north where khanates of hobgoblins and Kurgan and Hung nomads live. It is kinda obvious that this is their template and main source of inspiration.

sykall said:

ALHDON said:

ArneSo said:

sykall said:

Hochland = Saxony-Anhalt
    Solland = Saarland

Bereaver said:

I see the Mountains of Mourn as the Caucasus/Ural counterpart. And as I already said, their reliance on industry and worker races makes them counterparts to the Soviet Union, even if aesthetically they're Babylonian.
    Mountains of Mourn represent the Hindukusch and Himalaya. Thats why you have Cathay in the East, Ind in the South and Steppes in the North.
    edited April 22
    Guys, it is getting very confusing, now I think that it is too hard to associate myself with any geographical place when the map is getting so warped further east of the Empire.