Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How will Khorne counter magic?

IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,588
Magic in Tw:WH is very useful, will they have all magic resistance?

Dwarfs get kinda wrecked with Lizardmen magic for example.
*Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
*Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
*Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
*Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

Comments

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited April 26
    The same way they got around it in TT

Overwhelming brute force. Or go the dwarf approach, simple enough.
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 576
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 730
    There's a few ways, one or more of these could work:

1. Innate 25% magic resistance, like the Dwarfs. Or more, like 50%.

2. Khornate Lords and Heroes are given map-wide miscast chance passives (like Arch Lectors).

3. All Khornate units get a Waaagh! style map-wide buff when the enemy is casting.

4. Khornate Lords and Heroes are given AOE passives that constantly drain winds of magic when near enemy Lords and Heroes.
  • NikolabracNikolabrac Registered Users Posts: 449
    Magic resist and miscast chance most Likely
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 12,659
    By dying faster to order players in MP.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 681
    25% magic resist :D:D:D
    BsFG dwarf
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,148

I mean, it’s not flashy, but it works.

In single player the AI doesn’t use magic effectively enough for any Khornate player to be scared.

And in MP, what the Dwarfs have is ALREADY a significant deterrent for many players to bring DPS-based magic vs Dwarfs. You see a lot more buffs/hexes/healing rather than trying to damage Dwarfs because their magic resistance does it’s job. It doesn’t eliminate any potential magic damage .... but it makes that damage a less efficient use of winds compared to something that simply buffs your own troops.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 5,643
    Xerxes52 said:

There's a few ways, one or more of these could work:

1. Innate 25% magic resistance, like the Dwarfs. Or more, like 50%.

2. Khornate Lords and Heroes are given map-wide miscast chance passives (like Arch Lectors).

3. All Khornate units get a Waaagh! style map-wide buff when the enemy is casting.

4. Khornate Lords and Heroes are given AOE passives that constantly drain winds of magic when near enemy Lords and Heroes.

All this.
    Beastmen

• hendo1592hendo1592 Registered Users Posts: 2,281
    Jote191 said:

with an axe

Or two

• 445Aas445Aas Registered Users Posts: 91
    I am not a lore expert but here are some questions that might factor into this discussion:

Weren't dwarfs known for having a magic resistance in the lore?

Or is that just resistance to chaos corruption?
    Is that even true, that they are more resitant to chaos than other races, considering there are chaos dwarfs and no chaos lizardmen for example? Are orgres not also known for a resistance to chaos/magic? If yes, would that set them up to also get a magic resistance ingame?

Are khorne warriors known for a magic resistance? Khorne hates magic but would he provide resistance to it in the lore? Isn't magic chaos stuff anyway?

Confusion.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 5,993
    I suspect he'll get the Dwarf's magic resistance bonus. Anything more than that would un-stabilize the Khorne vs Tzeentch match up.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
  • VandicusVandicus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 268
    445Aas said:

I am not a lore expert but here are some questions that might factor into this discussion:

Weren't dwarfs known for having a magic resistance in the lore?

Or is that just resistance to chaos corruption?
    Is that even true, that they are more resitant to chaos than other races, considering there are chaos dwarfs and no chaos lizardmen for example? Are orgres not also known for a resistance to chaos/magic? If yes, would that set them up to also get a magic resistance ingame?

Are khorne warriors known for a magic resistance? Khorne hates magic but would he provide resistance to it in the lore? Isn't magic chaos stuff anyway?

Confusion.

Yes. Dwarves are also incapable of using magic in the fashion that wizards do. Runes are a workaround.

I don't recall there being anything about ogres being magic resistant. They also have their own school of magic.

Khornite warriors aren't innately resistant to magic. Magic is dependent on the Realm of Chaos yes. It is not precisely "chaos stuff" though.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 3,042
    Most likely a natural magic resistance, also, Ghoritch has an ability that is about granting him magical resistance, if I'm not mistaken, and it's related to him worshipping Khorne, so maybe all Khorne units dare that ability.

Also, some characters and units like Karanak, Scylla or the Fleshounds have what is called a "Collar of Khorne" this are special artefacts that are infused with Khorne hatred towards magic and allows the wearer to either try to disspel the spells of the enemy or makes it more likely for the wizard to misscast, how they are translated into the game is a mystery, but they certainly will have some way to screw with magic.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,386
    edited April 26
    Valkaar said:

I mean, it’s not flashy, but it works.

In single player the AI doesn’t use magic effectively enough for any Khornate player to be scared.

And in MP, what the Dwarfs have is ALREADY a significant deterrent for many players to bring DPS-based magic vs Dwarfs. You see a lot more buffs/hexes/healing rather than trying to damage Dwarfs because their magic resistance does it’s job. It doesn’t eliminate any potential magic damage .... but it makes that damage a less efficient use of winds compared to something that simply buffs your own troops.
    Not really. It just is a deterrent for not bringing units with magical attacks. Spells like vortexes, winds or amber spear etc. wreck dwarfs pretty good.

Vandicus said:

Yes. Dwarves are also incapable of using magic in the fashion that wizards do. Runes are a workaround.

I don't recall there being anything about ogres being magic resistant. They also have their own school of magic.

Khornite warriors aren't innately resistant to magic. Magic is dependent on the Realm of Chaos yes. It is not precisely "chaos stuff" though.

Thanks for your answer.

I think if Khorne warriors haven't got magic resistance in the lore, they might not get it ingame. Dwarfs seem to have gotten their resistance not only because of balance but also lore, so Khorne might need a different approach. Maybe it realy is just brute force.

It seems magic and chaos are more different from each other than i thought.

I thought ogres have a chaos resistance because the old ones designed them this way. But because of how you describe things it seems this doesn't have to translate into magic resistance necesserily.
  • elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 491

It won't.
    CA won't be bothered to think and implement a system where Khorne's assets can be used effectively, neither they will take the risk of damaging their precious competitive meta with resistances and similar stuff.
    In cases like this the century old strategy of satisfying everyone by making happy no one will come to help.
    elkapp said:

It won't.
    CA won't be bothered to think and implement a system where Khorne's assets can be used effectively, neither they will take the risk of damaging their precious competitive meta with resistances and similar stuff.
    In cases like this the century old strategy of satisfying everyone by making happy no one will come to help.
    Warhammer fantasy is rebooting because of them.

I agree that they satisfy a lot of people but sadly not everyone it seems.

Luckily i am one of the nobodies who is happy.
  • zeekjwzeekjw Registered Users Posts: 45
    I think khornate factions should get a +something % damage increase vs units that are buffed with magic or that can cast magic.
  • MaxPowersMaxPowers Registered Users Posts: 48
    Ghoritch has blood shield, giving himself and allies 15% magic resistance. It could be assumed other Khorn followers will have a similar ability.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,780
    Hopefully we get a counterspell system instead of the weaksouce take less damage from spells but leave debuffs and high damage spells unaffected.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,429
    - Magic Resistance
    - Blood Runes
    - Battle prayers

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 1,624
    edited April 27
    Baseline magic resist seems like the most likely option, same as Dwarfs seeing as even if they do implement a priest style character, they would only be equivalent to a runesmith. There will probably be a couple of units with extra anti-magic mechanics, the most common being flesh-hound, that likely will increase miscast chance in an area around them.
  • 6nieve66nieve6 Registered Users Posts: 195
    Blood shield as skill for heroes and maybe RORs, collars of khorne for certain units and maybe as an object for heroes
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 1,996
    Speed and significant damage output.

I would be pleased to see certain factions where hard counters do exist
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,667
    Like the dwarfs, by giving them nothing but a few magic resistance...

*grumble* where is my runic forge, by the ancestors ... *grumble even more*
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,771
    As I recall Heralds of Khorne had a passive ability that granted extra magic resistance to units in a radius around them.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 5,993
    I suspect he'll get the Dwarf's magic resistance bonus. Anything more than that would un-stabilize the Khorne vs Tzeentch match up.
    Ingr8 said:

Speed and significant damage output.

I would be pleased to see certain factions where hard counters do exist

Faction hard counters leads to less potential match-ups, so it weakens the game. You shouldn't be able to take Khorne and have basically shut down Tzeentch before match starts.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,746
    Right now NO ONE counters magic because there are no mechanics in place for it and magic resistance works in the stupidest way possible that affects magic weapons more than actual magic spells.

Magic in the current game is either both players nuking each other with uncontestable magic in MP or magic being a pure player privilege in SP since the AI is nearly incapable of making effective use of magic.

• sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 436
    I expect the khorne herald to have many supporting abilities just like the arch lector. We props won't get a ''lore of khorne'' but we will get ''something similar'' that buffs your troops and maybe slows enemies?