Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Question about the ice witch artwork

PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 1,443
(please dont turn this thread into another discussion like the original)

Ok so my question is, is this artwork official? The artist as worked in both fantasy and 40k RPGs however in his other posts he specifies what are the artworks for, "this is for the main rulebook, this is for the city of the white wolf supplement" etc, but in this case he just sais it is a commission without specificying by who. Some people in the comments assured it was indeed official but they didnt provide any evidence. Can someone confirm or deny it?

#MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

Comments

• MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,148
    AFAIK it's from the Warhammer Roleplay 4th edition book, so yes, it is official.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 3,746
    I think it's exactly what it says in the description. A commission. Nothing official.
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Take it with a sack of salt. Does that look like a fantasy russian to you? Even if it is official, the RPG has lots of things that are commonly not presented in other WH media such as brown skinned imperials from either Araby or Tilea, dwarfs and sometimes elfs in the imperial army, and so on. The purpose of the RPG is giving a lot of options for roleplay after all.
    But in the wargame setting of the main tabletop and by extension TWWH, things are going to be a lot more consistent.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,612

AFAIK it's from the Warhammer Roleplay 4th edition book, so yes, it is official.

I think op means official for total war
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,612
    It's tagged with the RPG so it's probably for that, or for someone who is a fan off that.

Nowhere is CA or GW mentioned so doubt its official, and it definitely not total war related as it looks nothing like CA concept art and they have their own artists.

The last thread was a load of people making a fuss out nothing
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 27,618
    It's just an art commission. Completely appropriate, completely fine.

There's literally no valid reason for any fuss over this.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,853
    This is what I said and I was ignored. It literally just says "commission". It's possible it was just a fan commission and there is nothing else to this and people are jumping at shadows.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,438
    If Games-Workshop is like most other companies that commission art from freelancers then there are contractual prohibitions about releasing and displaying the commissioned work on private social media accounts. Usually the artist would need to wait for a certain amount of time (pretty much always after the artwork has been formally released) before posting it themself.

So no, this was probably not official artwork.
    ò_ó
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,871
    Hope not, the artwork is trash far as official artwork goes.

May make an interesting water-bender fanart for Avatar, but keep that **** away from Kislev.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,196
    She looks pretty cool, this is better than most of the WHRPG artwork someone posted the other day
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 853
    I do have a problem with this art, because I do not understand WH ethnicity she represents. If she is an Ungol, she's supposed to have more Asian features, for Kislevite she has too much tan.
    I also do not like combo of white braids/dark skin (my personal gripe though, I know that a lot of folks like it).

For me it looks like she's of an Arabyan descent wearing a white wig to pass as a local lol. Oh, and purple lipstick, yeaaah, its bad and unfitting.

Maybe I need to squint a little bit more. I suppose it can do for WH Roleplay player character, but I hope that won't be a generic model for Ice Witch in game.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,438
    Bereaver said:

I do have a problem with this art, because I do not understand WH ethnicity she represents. If she is an Ungol, she's supposed to have more Asian features, for Kislevite she has too much tan.
    I also do not like combo of white braids/dark skin (my personal gripe though, I know that a lot of folks like it).

For me it looks like she's of an Arabyan descent wearing a white wig to pass as a local lol. Oh, and purple lipstick, yeaaah, its bad and unfitting.

Maybe I need to squint a little bit more. I suppose it can do for WH Roleplay player character, but I hope that won't be a generic model for Ice Witch in game.

For ****’s sake, don’t bring up that crap that got the last topic derailed a locked. Nobody cares what you think of the art and the thread isn’t about that.
    ò_ó
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

For ****’s sake, don’t bring up that crap that got the last topic derailed a locked. Nobody cares what you think of the art and the thread isn’t about that.
    Well maybe this thread should get locked to as well because this artwork is irrelevant to WH3 either since we obviously know what Kislevites look like.
    Does this person look like the same ethnicity as that one in the OP
    ?
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 1,967
    maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

Well maybe this thread should get locked to as well because this artwork is irrelevant to WH3 either since we obviously know what Kislevites look like.
    ?
    Kislev is made up of three distinctive cultures: Gospodars, Ungols, and Roppsmen. Two of these three are related to the Hung and Kurgan, and there is a degree of influence from the Empire in the south. That's plenty of room for phenotypical diversity.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,871
    edited April 27
    >enters thread about an art

You
    Warlocke said:

Nobody cares what you think of the art and the thread isn’t about that.

maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

?
    Kislev is made up of three distinctive cultures: Gospodars, Ungols, and Roppsmen. Two of these three are related to the Hung and Kurgan, and there is a degree of influence from the Empire in the south. That's plenty of room for phenotypical diversity.
    Yeah, artwork looks nothing like Hung and Kurgan too.
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

If you do not care - do not respond, I really dislike the picture and wanted to voice my opinion about it.
    Bereaver said:

maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

?
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

If you do not care - do not respond, I really dislike the picture and wanted to voice my opinion about it.
    Kislevites aren't Hung or Kurgan, they're *related*. The point is that Kislev is part eastern nomads, part Imperial tribes, part native groups of the area. The lore steesses how Kislev is less a singular nation and more a loose union of peoples drawn to the land.

Also, GW can literally make the Kislevites look however they want. If the OP art is official, then that's how at least *some* Kislevites look like.

Bereaver said:

maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

?
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

Kislevites aren't Hung or Kurgan, they're *related*. The point is that Kislev is part eastern nomads, part Imperial tribes, part native groups of the area. The lore steesses how Kislev is less a singular nation and more a loose union of peoples drawn to the land.

Also, GW can literally make the Kislevites look however they want. If the OP art is official, then that's how at least *some* Kislevites look like.
    Yeah, that is the good part of Kislev lore that I adore, that it a union of different ethnicities!

The problem is that this Ice Witch art does not represent any of them =/

You know, they can look like European, Asian, like people of Caucasus, but what we have here is completely out of place.
    Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

?
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

Yeah, that is the good part of Kislev lore that I adore, that it a union of different ethnicities!

You know, they can look like European, Asian, like people of Caucasus, but what we have here is completely out of place.
    Well ice witches don't exist in real life. That said, her jewelry and robes resemble Katarin's, white hair does appear in Kislevites born with ice magic, and her braids are probably Ungol in origin. She really isn't that out of left field, even the make up makes some sense since Ice Witches are known for their beauty and have to maintain presence as Kislev's guardians.

Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

maccabbee said:

Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

?
    Warlocke said:

Bereaver said:

Well ice witches don't exist in real life. That said, her jewelry and robes resemble Katarin's, white hair does appear in Kislevites born with ice magic, and her braids are probably Ungol in origin. She really isn't that out of left field, even the make up makes some sense since Ice Witches are known for their beauty and have to maintain presence as Kislev's guardians.
    Your explanation sounds reasonable, but I still do not like the result. I mean, she still looks more like snowy Cleopatra than anything else. It may be cool thing and I am fine with it being a player character for RP, I just hope that it is not a generic model.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 3,741
    I just realized something, it may be wrong, but to me it just ocurred that she may be based on princess Yue from Avatar the Last Airbender, I mean, the resemblence is there.

Wich surprise surprise, the entire Water Tribes from The Last Airbender are based on the northerm most tribus from the real world In which a lot of people has this kind of skintone, so she may simply be from a particularly northen Kislevite settlement.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 653
    edited April 27
    How the nehecarian girl became an ice witch? Great artwork, but I prefer to separate people and nations in fantasy worlds. It make them more distinct and interesting. And when the time has come and they unite it looks more cooler, because you understand, that they had to stop cultural strife, in the face of catastrophe, There is no black nord. No, this is redgards united with nords under curtain circumstance's.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 5,441
    It is a fan art commission.. Why are people losing their ****?
  • aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 954
    The artwork is really cool. Hopefully it becomes official.

It also has the lovely benefit of outting all the real 'Gamers™'.

aMint1 said:

Well it will be great, if they add her as named character, but would be weird if half of ice witches will look like that.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 27,618
    The thing is this is a commission, so it has to be viewed in that context.

This is not -as far as we know- an official artwork for anything. Companies like CA do not commission pieces then allow the art to be posted until after they have shown it themselves. It's literally a piece of art someone paid their hard earned money for. That fact alone renders this entire debate essentially meaningless. People are arguing over something that for all intents and purposes has no connection to the game.

All criticism of it is effectively moot unless you're the person who paid for it.

Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 954

aMint1 said:

Well it will be great, if they add her as named character, but would be weird if half of ice witches will look like that.
    I'd be happy either way. Looks very ice-witchy. Works as a named character or generic hero. Though I guess CA's generic heroes don't always get the most amazing in game models - which would be a real shame in this instance.

This is not -as far as we know- an official artwork for anything. Companies like CA do not commission pieces then allow the art to be posted until after they have shown it themselves. It's literally a piece of art someone paid their hard earned money for. That fact alone renders this entire debate essentially meaningless. People are arguing over something that for all intents and purposes has no connection to the game.

All criticism of it is effectively moot unless you're the person who paid for it.

You too boring! Lets fight!
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,092

I believe it is a commission for the 4th edition warhammer RPG book. Which does make it official. However...

RPG's are purposefully more diverse then say wargame books. It's a literal game about feeling included and making your own character up. You want a dark-skinned brettonian knight? Go for it. It's your world you build with your friends in your living room - nothing is wrong.

I also am always reminded of this quote whenever people have these discussions;

“Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because—what with trolls and dwarfs and so on—speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green.”

- Sir Terry Pratchett
    The wiki is not a grounds for arguing about lore - because ANYONE can edit it at any time.
    aMint1 said:

aMint1 said:

I'd be happy either way. Looks very ice-witchy. Works as a named character or generic hero. Though I guess CA's generic heroes don't always get the most amazing in game models - which would be a real shame in this instance.
    The only thing I dont like, its braid. Its not slavic style, its more generic, like she some kind of viking. One long one would be better, imho.
This discussion has been closed.