Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Poll: AoS vs Old World Tzaangors

Comments

• Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,641

AoS Tzaangors and it isn't even close. The complaining about "over design" is hilarious to me considering this is a fantasy setting anyway.

I think those wanting the old model are just blinded by nostalgia or simply hate AoS for the sake of it.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,851
    ArneSo said:

AoS Tzaangors and it isn't even close. The complaining about "over design" is hilarious to me considering this is a fantasy setting anyway.

I think those wanting the old model are just blinded by nostalgia or simply hate AoS for the sake of it.
    Or they just have different tastes ?
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,641
    Neodeinos said:

ArneSo said:

Or they just have different tastes ?
    Nah that sounds far fetched.
  • GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Registered Users Posts: 445
    AoS Tzaangors. Hands down.

The WHFB one is too generic, like a common Gor with a 3rd eye on his forehead.
    Seriously, before reading that was a Tzaangor i thought it was just a common Gor.

AoS Tzaangors. Hands down.

The WHFB one is too generic, like a common Gor with a 3rd eye on his forehead.
    Seriously, before reading that was a Tzaangor i thought it was just a common Gor.

Exactly. It just looks like a generic Gor and has nothing tzeentchian in its model.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,415
    AoS design no question, you look at them once and immediately understand what they’ve got going on; while clearly beastmen, everything about them screams Tzeentch. GW nailed it with their design and unit variants.
  • Biggles#4266Biggles#4266 Registered Users Posts: 3,078
    ArneSo said:

Well that's part of it and having been with the Old World since being a kid in the mid 80s I want it as close to "classic" as possible. Make them bright colours and mutated but keep them as beastmen.

I just don't like some of the new models. I mean the new high elves look crap in my view for example.

I like beastmen gritty and dirty but if they go the other way I'll live.
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,551
    All the tzaangors having the same mutation isnt very tzeenchy, his followers are supposed to get all kind of weird mutations that dont make sense, meaning that every tzaangor could be wildly different from each other, I get that when making miniatures there is a big limitation for these things but since this is a videogame some variation would be nice instead of just giving a bird head to everyone.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • RamsesIII#4621RamsesIII#4621 Registered Users Posts: 1,176
    I just wanna remind everyone that beastmen, canonically, come in all sorts of forms related to a wide variety of animals despite goats and bulls being the more common options in the Old World, so having a bird's face isn't really all that crazy. If anything, if I were to give tzaangors criticism I'd say it's a little odd for the gors of the Changer of Ways to have such a "uniform" design even though the avian look is a tzeentchian theme.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,211
    I agree that the Slaan Gor is way too much like a Deamonette.... they shouldn't have given it claws. How it supposed to be different in any way aside from having a goat head. I actually think Slaan Gors should look like slightly civilized Gors. Intrested in Clothing, Jewelry, and other mortal finery.

The Tzaan Gors are fine... actually I wish they where even more bird like.... Caprigors are all too common. Id like more of a menagerie.

All the tzaangors having the same mutation isnt very tzeenchy, his followers are supposed to get all kind of weird mutations that dont make sense, meaning that every tzaangor could be wildly different from each other, I get that when making miniatures there is a big limitation for these things but since this is a videogame some variation would be nice instead of just giving a bird head to everyone.

That's exactly how the old lore describe it... although really they where all Caprigors. So that was always fairly stable.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,394

It's kinda like why undead miniatures are all nearly all human skeletons/zombies, even though we know necromancers can raise skeletons and zombies from other races. The majority are that way, so that's what gets represented in the miniatures.

Now, if the majority of Tzaangors are birdlike instead (and that would make sense, given Tzeentch), then that changes things.
  • LordSolarMach#5538LordSolarMach#5538 Registered Users Posts: 2,297
    edited April 2021
    ArneSo said:

Exactly. It just looks like a generic Gor and has nothing tzeentchian in its model.

• Feathered haunches
    • A mutant wing sprouting from his right armpit
    • A third eye and twisting mass of horns
    • Tzeentch symbols/eyes on his axe, gutplate, strap, sporran, and tattooed (or branded) onto his pec
    • Decorative feathers
    • A sacrificial dagger wreathed in magical flames

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    I like the blue beaky bois as a concept, but I think their armor and very golded ornaments are a bit too AoS to fit in WHFB.
    My ideal solution would be for CA to base their Tzaangors models on the AoS ones, but giving them more fitting equipment and clothes, like Vermintide did for the Stormfiends.
  • ForumaccountkroqgarForumaccountkroqgar Registered Users Posts: 869
    Maelas said:

I like the blue beaky bois as a concept, but I think their armor and very golded ornaments are a bit too AoS to fit in WHFB.
    My ideal solution would be for CA to base their Tzaangors models on the AoS ones, but giving them more fitting equipment and clothes, like Vermintide did for the Stormfiends.

This is the right one. At least for the stormfiends. I didn't like their design at all for whfb, but their vermintide model is much less over the top.
    Justice for the scalies!

Basic fixes for blessed spawnings and geomantic web:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/293369/lizardmen-rework-suggestions/p1?new=1
  • RamsesIII#4621RamsesIII#4621 Registered Users Posts: 1,176
    Maelas said:

I personally don't mind the more elegant, almost modern-ish armor because I feel like it suits Tzeentch's "magical but also advanced" (like a testament to his knowledge) aesthetic which feels atemporal in a way. But maybe some slight adaptations would work well to better suit the Beastmen... I wonder if letting Tzeentch have slightly more AoS-y designs and the Beastmen tzaangors slightly toned down attires would work well. Kinda like the chaos spawns between WoC and Beastmen, but that might be too much needless work.
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 1,345
    Tzaangors for me are the most insane models of AoS, soo cool, I like them all.
    I think even GW was surprised at how successful they were after the release.

And the cool rule is very clear, if is cool should come.

• Mogwai_Man#4978Mogwai_Man#4978 Registered Users Posts: 6,059
    edited April 2021
    Maelas said:

Tzeentch has always had eccentric armor and ornaments.

Even pink horrors have jewelry.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180

Maelas said:

You and Ramselll makes fair points, Tzeentch indeed have this very slick bling to it, I just find it odd that they're better dressed and adorned than Slaangors !

But maybe that's mostly because GW got a lil lazy with the Slaangors
    Maelas said:

Maelas said:

You and Ramselll makes fair points, Tzeentch indeed have this very slick bling to it, I just find it odd that they're better dressed and adorned than Slaangors !

But maybe that's mostly because GW got a lil lazy with the Slaangors
    Really fn' lazy on Slaangors... CA shouldn't even copy GW's AoS Slaangors they are so poorly though out.
  • Mad_D0c_#1516Mad_D0c_#1516 Registered Users Posts: 1,541
    The WHFB look if BM get exclusive Tzaangors, the AoS style for tzeentzch monogods. The latter are aesthetically are not part of a BM warherd.
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Registered Users Posts: 912
    edited April 2021
    AoS Tzaangors are literally unique, fresh new models. They can also come as Enlightened, Shaman and Skyfires, 2 additional units and 1 Hero/Lord that will benefit Tzeentch roster.

The WHFB one? I can barely understand that's a Tzaangor... like the only thing it has that differentiate it with a common Gor is a small 3rd eye... disappointing.
    Post edited by ScreamimgEnvy on
    Team Monogods - #JusticeForTzeentch

ArneSo said:

• Feathered haunches
    • Tzeentch symbols/eyes on his axe, gutplate, strap, sporran, and tattooed (or branded) onto his pec
    • Decorative feathers

Yeah exactly. Generic Gor. 😂
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,851
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

• Feathered haunches
    • Decorative feathers

Yeah exactly. Generic Gor. 😂
    You need to take a serious look at the generic gor mate. The old Tzaangors in that artwork has many features from Tzeentch and isn't generic in any way.

And to be honest the comparison between the AoS one and that artwork wasn't really fair in the first place, the old artwork is in black and white and details are harder to catch.
  • 445Aas#5515445Aas#5515 Registered Users Posts: 412
    How about old world tzaangors for beastmen as part of an update with every other type of blessed gor + age of sigmar tzaangors for the tzeentch factions, as well as other age of sigmar type of blessed gors for other Mono gods.
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,838
    On the one hand, the Old World look fits Fantasy (as in WHFB, the game which this series is based on) far far better.

On the other hand, this model is one of my favorite of all time.

I'll take either, or both.
    Kneel

• Biggles#4266Biggles#4266 Registered Users Posts: 3,078
    Surge_2 said:

On the one hand, the Old World look fits Fantasy (as in WHFB, the game which this series is based on) far far better.

On the other hand, this model is one of my favorite of all time.

I'll take either, or both.

Firstly that is a lovely model. But my problem with it is it looks to civilised for a beastmen imho.

I want beastmen to be primitive and this lad looks like he has a lovely apartment in town, enjoys listening to classical music, and has the latest iPhone.
  • MrDragon#2461MrDragon#2461 Registered Users Posts: 3,545
    edited April 2021

Firstly that is a lovely model. But my problem with it is it looks to civilised for a beastmen imho.

I want beastmen to be primitive and this lad looks like he has a lovely apartment in town, enjoys listening to classical music, and has the latest iPhone.

And that is why Tzeentch is the best god. *adjusts his pince-nez and stirs his tea while listening to Mussorgsky's "Night on bald mountain"* (The best song for any chaos worshipper who likes classical music)
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,145
    So long as it doesn't feel like its Warhammer Fantasy vs AoS in game...which basically means Warhammer Fantasy vs Warcraft.

• Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,218
    MrDragon said:

And that is why Tzeentch is the best god. *adjusts his pince-nez and stirs his tea while listening to Mussorgsky's "Night on bald mountain"* (The best song for any chaos worshipper who likes classical music)
    I must protest! The best song for any chaos worshipper is Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna' from 'Carmina Burata'.