Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

As much as I want play Monkey King when 3 is released ...

Sagittar07Sagittar07 Registered Users Posts: 43
edited May 3 in General Discussion
... I think it is best for him to be part of a LL pack.

Because MK is a very unique character, who is based on Monkey Magic (aka Wukong) from Journey from the west.

Before he started the journey, Wukong was the ruler of his own clan. Not only he had demon/monster bloodbrothers, WK also fought the celestial court.

MK is best to have his unique faction and mechanism, something like Yin and Yang: MK can choose to be order or destruction; with order he can recruit low to mid tier units from Cathay; with destruction, he is able to get some demon/monster units.

To compensate for having no high tier units, MK is kinda overpowered as in the novel, because he is both expert at martial arts and magic. If defeated MK only has one turn before he returns; even when he is captured, the knife ear batman can only keep him for one turn because Wukong.

One more thing, although MK is able to recruit bad guys, he can't be swayed into Chaos as he is too independent.

Return to monke ... :p
Post edited by Sagittar07 on

Comments

• DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,569
    I could see him as the first Cathay LP, with the starting LLs of the Dragon Emperor and maybe a Tzeentchian sorcerer(?).
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 4,685
    Seeing how the art-lead of CA posted (and deleted) a monkey image just before the announcement with something in the caption like 'hint', I doubt he'll not be core.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,429

I could see him as the first Cathay LP, with the starting LLs of the Dragon Emperor and maybe a Tzeentchian sorcerer(?).

While I agree with you, the Monkey king was already heavily teased so he most likely will be in at launch.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a pure Caster while the Dragon Emperor is the basic Melee LL.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life

There's already a Tzeentch faction. He also killed dozens of Chaos Champions at the Great Bastion, according to End Times apocrypha.

The Chaos-related stuff has never been mentioned in the lore and would be anathema to Cathay's goal to seal the Realms of Chaos.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,219
    I think the Monkey King if he comes at all and is still in this take on Cathay an actual thing, that he can come whenever. But if he is going to be more of a rebel like character in terms of loyalty to the Celestial Dragon Emperor, then perhaps it is better to come later. That said a Cathy campaign where you fight internally while trying to hold of Chaos as well from the get go does seem interesting.
    JungleElf said:

There's already a Tzeentch faction. He also killed dozens of Chaos Champions at the Great Bastion, according to End Times apocrypha.

The Chaos-related stuff has never been mentioned in the lore and would be anathema to Cathay's goal to seal the Realms of Chaos.
    I’d love for there to be a Tzeentchian element to the Monkey King personally. Or at least there being one of the LLs who can draw on the Cathay roster and then some Tzeentch units/heroes too. The Arkhan/Alarielle element is a great spice of life.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 455
    Isn't the Dragon Emperor supposed to be a great Amethyst Wizard ?

If we get 6 LL for Cathay I hope we get:

Monkey: Monkey King (Melee/Lord Killer)

Dragon: Dragon Emperor (Mixed Caster)

Tiger: Caster Lord (Or an Elf Outpost)

Turtle: Great Bastion/Not a real province of Cathay (Tanky Fighter)

Phoenix/Rooster: Caster Lord

So that there is 13+1 Cathay (12 Cathay Province, 1 Skaven/Eshin and the Great Bastion) + 1 Rebel/Separated Province (Cat)

So that we have the 12 Animal of the Asian Zodiac (+Cat with the story of the Cat and the Rat) and the 4 Cardinal animals (Jade Dragon, Black Tortoise, White Tiger and Red Phoenix)
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,172
    arthadaw said:

Isn't the Dragon Emperor supposed to be a great Amethyst Wizard

No. Heavens.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Sagittar07Sagittar07 Registered Users Posts: 43
    Oopps, was supposed to say "he can't" instead of "he can't not".

Even he is at launch, CA can always pull a "Lu Bo" on him later as in the TW3K.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 981
    There are not many known characters for Grand Cathay. Monkey King and Dragon Emperor are the very few that is in the lore. So, I feel that Monkey King will be featured in the base game and not DLC.

DLC Lord is going to be reserved for new characters introduced later on into the lore for Cathay.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 12,659
    I think cathay at least 4 of them will be.

1. Dragon Emperor hybrid caster
    2. Monkey king melee beat stick
    3. Missing blood line of harkate character of or harkte him self as pure caster
    4. A human general as a suppport lord.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 679
    monkey king is overused, i am looking for cathay vampires way more
    BsFG dwarf
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 10,561

monkey king is overused, i am looking for cathay vampires way more

Yeah everything that includes fantasy elements of China has a monkey king, it's a tad boring.

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,429
    saweendra said:

I think cathay at least 4 of them will be.

1. Dragon Emperor hybrid caster
    2. Monkey king melee beat stick
    3. Missing blood line of harkate character of or harkte him self as pure caster
    4. A human general as a suppport lord.

5. That Tzeentchian Caster dude
    6. A Celestial Dragon Monk LL
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,317
    JungleElf said:

The monkey king isn't mentioned in the end times
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,774

JungleElf said:

There was some official apocrypha written about Cathay by a GW writer. It basically details what was happening in Cathay and Nippon during the ET. I don't think it's official but it was written by an official writer so to speak, I would not be surprised if it was just some fleshing out of some plans that could never be implemented in the ET due to time constraints or something.

• General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 3,317
    Krunch said:

JungleElf said:

There was some official apocrypha written about Cathay by a GW writer. It basically details what was happening in Cathay and Nippon during the ET. I don't think it's official but it was written by an official writer so to speak, I would not be surprised if it was just some fleshing out of some plans that could never be implemented in the ET due to time constraints or something.

GW straight up said that what authors say outside of lisenced works is not canon.

Same with the whole settra killing suneater.

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,222
    Monkeyking is not a tzeentch follower, thats a other person who was already mentioned by loremaster of sotek "Dai something"

Monkeyking is allied with skaven thats his thing.
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 2,568
    Problem with the Monkey King as a Lords Pack LL is that in lore, we've only ever heard of him going against Dien Ch'ing and Cathay. All of these are Cathayan Characters, Monkey King vs Dien Ch'ing would be Cathay vs Cathay and so would Monkey King vs Dragon Emperor. CA has never done an interfactional Lords Pack.

To me, it makes sense to have Monkey King and Dien Ch'ing or Dragon Emperor as Cathay's starting LL. Either pairings would give Cathay the interfactional conflict the faction needs.

Dien Ch'ing could be held off for a Lords Pack in a Cathay vs Empire LP since he lives in exile in the Old World in lore.

Dragon Emperor could be held off for a Lords Pack in a Cathay vs Hobgoblin or Chaos Dwarf (if Hobgobla gets made a CD LL...) Emperor Pu-Yi was fighting the Hobgobla Khan in Oglah Khan's lore blurb.

If Monkey King was held off for a Lords Pack, who would he pitted against?
    If Dien Ch'ing is a LL of Mono Tzeentch then having them both held off for a Cathay vs Tzeetch Lords Pack would work, but most people would probably not agreed with Dien Ch'ing being a Mono Tzeentch LL

The other alternative is the Monkey King isn't LL of Cathay at all but a Beastmen LL... I don't think people would like that either.
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 900
    Cathay's goal is to sell the game in China, so various aspects of Warhammer's Monkey King will most likely be rewritten to fit the idealized image that the chinese have of their culture.

The consequence of this is that the monkey king will be in the game from the beginning and he will be part of the good side and will be against chaos but he will have bad relations with the dragon emperor due to his rebellious nature.
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 2,568
    ArneSo said:

While I agree with you, the Monkey king was already heavily teased so he most likely will be in at launch.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a pure Caster while the Dragon Emperor is the basic Melee LL.
    If Cathay is going to be heavily based on Qing Dynasty. The Dragon Emperor and Cathayan Generals might be Missile LL and Lords, the wore big on Horse Archery.

Monkey King might be Melee dualist and perhaps the architype for the Dragon Monk lords/heros since they have been mentions working together against the Tzeentch Sorcerer Dien Ch'ing.

Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,935
    ArneSo said:

You maybe got that the wrong way round?

I'd expect the possible ancient dragon emperor to be the caster or atleast hybrid
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 2,894
    JungleElf said:

I think, but am not sure, that Cathay being infiltrated by Tzeentch worshippers was mentioned during the End Times, but it might have been just author commentary, like Settra vs Kholek.
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
    Maelas said:

JungleElf said:

I think, but am not sure, that Cathay being infiltrated by Tzeentch worshippers was mentioned during the End Times, but it might have been just author commentary, like Settra vs Kholek.
    I was talking about Chaos' relation with the Monkey King, a relation which doesn't exist.

Chaos cults have also infiltrated every human nation, doesn't mean Cathay will use Tzeentchian magics against... Tzeentchian forces, in defense of civilization.
    JungleElf said:

I was talking about Chaos' relation with the Monkey King, a relation which doesn't exist.

Oh yes, this one I agree on ! Apologies, I've misread !
    edited May 2
    Maelas said:

JungleElf said:

Oh yes, this one I agree on ! Apologies, I've misread !
    It's fine my dude. There have been a few mentions of Tzeentchian cults in a few Cathayan cities, so I definitely expect a few Cult factions spread throughout Cathay causing issues. So, basically a starting enemy, maybe even the Purple Hand itself.

But a Cathayan/Tzeentchian Lord at launch? I don't see that happening. Chaos isn't 'antihero' material, it's straight up evil and destructive to civilizations.
  • arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 455
    The logical enemies should be Tzeentch, Skaven and Greenskin (Hobgoblin) and Ogre Kingdom
    arthadaw said:

The logical enemies should be Tzeentch, Skaven and Greenskin (Hobgoblin) and Ogre Kingdom

I don't know about Greenskins, as we don't know if the Hobgoblins will get included. The Ogre Kingdoms will presumably be a campaign pack, as well, and not be there at launch. There are many Chaos Marauders at the gates, as the Chaos Wastes are at the border of Cathay. So, I'd expect a minimum of 2-3 Monogod factions nearby. As well as the Monogod cults within Cathay.

Maybe some Skaven and Dark Elf slavers nearby. Or some High Elf colonies, even.
    JungleElf said:

But a Cathayan/Tzeentchian Lord at launch? I don't see that happening. Chaos isn't 'antihero' material, it's straight up evil and destructive to civilizations.

Yeah, I don't see it at launch either. The narrative will surely focus on Kislev and Cathay as bastions of order against Chaos, so starting with a Chaos-aligned Cathay LL would be a very strange tonal shift !
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,329

... I think it is best for him to be part of a LL pack.

Because MK is a very unique character, who is based on Monkey Magic (aka Wukong) from Journey from the west.

I have never ever EVER heard of the term "monkey magic" referring to Wukong, his powers, or journey to the west.
  • 6nieve66nieve6 Registered Users Posts: 195
    MK being able to recruit some eshin units would be really cool