Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cathay and Magic

ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 535
I havent seen this topic in a while. maybe because of the gameplay reveal. dunno if you heard of it there's ome geezer called corn. anyway back to the biggest human empire ever that no one knows anything about. Cathay .

Woah Woah woah. I know what you're thinking right now. "🤓☝️ Mr Alhdon. we have spoken about cathay on numerous occasions and I thi-" shut the **** up timmy you're not correct 100% of the time. sit down and let me speak.

anyway back on track I believe that Cathay will be quite a magical faction. using alot of winds of magic. in my expert professional opinion Cathay could have 3 new lores of magic. these would be Celestial, Jade and Tzeentchian. Celestial because the dragon emperor. potential Jade magic from the jade vampires if they decide to do that. and same with Tzeentchian magic with the Tzeentch cults. I can assume Celestial magic for Cathay is basically a given at this point because from the little snippets we know their emperor being a celestial being is a big deal.

seperate from new lores I also believe they'll have access to older lores such as fire, Light, heaven's, Shadows and Metal. I chose these lores because I feel that's just what Cathay would have. I'm not a GW staff. I know as much as you do Timmy I'm making guesses here. if you have any better ideas you make the thread next time
Warhammer 3 = Pogu Content

Comments

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,219
    Celestial magic is basically just the Lore of Heavens. As for any other magic we’ll have to wait and see.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 535
    RikRiorik said:

Celestial magic is basically just the Lore of Heavens. As for any other magic we’ll have to wait and see.

I mean it's a blank page they can do what they want with it. Sure for what we know of it now it could just be lore of heavens. but yeah they can basically do what they want with it.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 5,708
    ALHDON said:

potential Jade magic from the jade vampires if they decide to do that.

One thing all Vampires can't do is use the Lore of Life, aka Jade Magic
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

ALHDON said:

RikRiorik said:

I mean it's a blank page they can do what they want with it. Sure for what we know of it now it could just be lore of heavens. but yeah they can basically do what they want with it.
    NO its literally just another name for the Lore of Heavens.

OdTengri said:

ALHDON said:

RikRiorik said:

according to what? one sentence from some odd many years ago 🗿🗿 we don't know till they actually do it but I do think it would be a great idea to implement celestial as a seperate lore of magic. dunno why you're so heated with that NO there timmy
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,935
    OdTengri said:

ALHDON said:

RikRiorik said:

I mean it is but also a lot of the non battle magic lores are essentially different variations of the battle lores. So we could well get a slightly varied version of heavens for cathay. Or maybe even something that involves more of the elements, given that Cathay likely didn't learn magic from the elves
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 981
    I hope Cathay have access to daemonic magic and an end-tier ability to enslave daemons. For course, only a high ranked sorcerer could use such ability plus with some drawbacks.

Even though Cathay is more or less an "order" faction, they are similar to Tau in 40K. For the greater good means using whatever means to achieve an end including exploiting daemonic powers. So, this is in complete contrast to Bret or Empire whom 100% despise chaotic/daemonic powers.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,576
    I would like to reduce the creation of new lores to q minimum. And we will already get 4 new lores of magic apperantly, ice, slaanesh, nurgle and tzeentch. I do not see much reason to invent one for cathay too. Also celestial appears to be just heaven magic. Jade is so vaguely defined by you it is hard to grasp what it is supppsed to be. And why should or would have jade vampire their own lore? They are after all just a minor point of cathay. Fimir also do not have a unique lore for norsca right? Lastly tzeentch for cathay is also strange, as this lore is exclusiv to proper tzeentchian characters and faction.

And we can already fill out cathay nicley with the existing lores.
    Heavens: china liked pregocnition, valued astrology and put high emphasis into the mandate of heavens for its rulers. Making this a very fitting lore.
    Metal: china was one of the most inventive countries and created many Technologies. As metal is the most scientific lore it is also a good fit.
    Light: light is also order and harmony and order and harmony are themes many chinese philosophies focus on. E.g. confucianism which dictates how people should behave in their family, up to how the state should act.

These are the major lores of magic I see most fitting for Cathay. Others could also be advocated for. E.g. if dragons are mages there too, they may wield high magic. Or shadow magic to represent the occult practices and superstitions many chinese believed in.or death this is also seen as an integral part of chinese cultures. Or or or.

Cathay should have a huge diversity in available winds of magic yes. But you can already give it to Cathay without creating new ones or putting chaos magic there. You could easily go the HE or empire route and give them a broad palette of lores of magic to use.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    edited May 9
    ALHDON said:

OdTengri said:

ALHDON said:

RikRiorik said:

according to what? one sentence from some odd many years ago 🗿🗿 we don't know till they actually do it but I do think it would be a great idea to implement celestial as a seperate lore of magic. dunno why you're so heated with that NO there timmy
    Multiple lines of lore that have been written and rewritten over the years.

Inappropriate Comment removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on

• doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,941
    I hope we see some sort of alternate Chaos magic in Cathay.
    Some highly civilized counterpart to the heavy Metal Barabarian look.
    And they deserve their own Lore of Magic
  • 6nieve66nieve6 Registered Users Posts: 195
    The Magisters of the Celestial Order study the Lore of the Heavens, which in its widest sense is “Astrometeorological Thaumaturgy,” the magic of the stars, the upper atmosphere, and the weather. The Magisters of the Celestial Order are most commonly referred to as Astromancers, and they are prognosticators, astrologers, and seers without Human peer. These potent wizards also have power over the weather and over various other meteorological phenomena.

It is certainly for these reasons that Azyr's Magisters are known for their greatest preference for sky and star gazing, and for this reason the Magisters of the Celestial College are sometimes called “Celestial Wizards” by some of the less educated folk of the Empire.

I'm expecting Heavens, Light, and Shadows.

Metal is possible too, but I wouldnt be surprised if they make a support character similar to TK necrotect.
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,941
    Hm I wonder
    could this be an inspiration for a Cathay Magic system ?

• 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 1,701
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cathayan mages are so powerful that they have managed to bind the powers of the Chaos Gods for their own uses whilst keeping corruption at bay somehow. Maybe even as far as summoning bound Daemons.
    Change is on the way...

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,588
    I assume GW will just design a new magic for them, if not multiple. I'd be surprised if they just had existing lores.

There's plenty of inspiration.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 862
    Cathay should also get Yin and Yang magic, which will be the lore of Shadow and lore of Light
    Rage consumes us, but from the fire we rise again.

Hm I wonder
    could this be an inspiration for a Cathay Magic system ?

That could be the inspiration for a Loremaster kind of character, with one spell from each of these lores
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 862
    we already have lore of metal and lore of fire now, what will be lore of water, earth or wood?
    Rage consumes us, but from the fire we rise again.

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,576
    edited May 9
    Blaced said:

we already have lore of metal and lore of fire now, what will be lore of water, earth or wood?

All three things are covered by the lore of Life. This lore lets you summon rainfalls, command the ground and plants and more. It is far more diverse than portayed in TWWH. And it is already called jade magic as a secondary name.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • BRiiTASH2BRiiTASH2 Registered Users Posts: 518
    Id like to see two contrasting lores of magic, like the Lore of Heavens which is basically just Celestial Magic and something like the Lore of Earth/Terracotta, something which has to do with the Terracotta armys and maybe controlling earth elements by being able to cause mini earthquakes or have the ground open and swallow units whole, slow enemies down by having the terrain turn to mud, and maybe raise units made of wood, dirt and rock, think a cross of dryad/zombies.
  • NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 881
    I expect they create a new lore of magic for Cathay, It's a new race in a new game, even clan Eshin got their own magic.

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,172
    edited May 9
    Blaced said:

Cathay should also get Yin and Yang magic, which will be the lore of Shadow and lore of Light

what? Yin and yang is more than just "One is light, the other dark". Shadow and Light aren't diametrically opposed to each other... "is a concept of dualism, describing how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another" Which just isn't the case for Ulgu and Hysh.

Chaos and Order themselves would ironically fit the bill more most likely.
    55JoNNo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cathayan mages are so powerful that they have managed to bind the powers of the Chaos Gods for their own uses whilst keeping corruption at bay somehow. Maybe even as far as summoning bound Daemons.

yeah... Wanna know how that sounds? "They are my super speshul mega awesome wizards! They even keep the Dark Brothers at bay while using their stuff!!!"... Especially if you're dealing with Daemons... And Cathay HAS issues with Tzeentchian cults. Ya think they'd have those if their wizards could just screw the Dark Brothers over?

In TW WH there has been only one character that CLAIMED to be at that Level, Constant Drachenfels, the Great Enchanter. And he was created at a different time of the setting... and might've just deluded himself, he was a bit of an egomaniac afterall. And/or considering his age, he only saw their power as the Dark Brothers came to be.

for me, this whole thread feels like it's going at a "Cathay should have everything and then some" direction...

Most of this just again raises my worries that GW and CA might turn Cathay into the super powerful, mega perfect and great at everytrhing faction it was "portrayed" as in it's cameos (aka: Where it didn't matter if Cathay looked "OMG Unbeatable!" because it wouldn't matter anyway).

The little cameos and tidbits about Cathay worked as a sort of "Mysterious foreign land" teaser, but for a proper WH faction just shouldn't be 100% accurate.
    NeoYas said:

I expect they create a new lore of magic for Cathay, It's a new race in a new game, even clan Eshin got their own magic.

which already existed in TT.

What Magic is Cathay known for? Celestial Magic. THAT should be it's magical focus. Maybe a few more lores? Sure. But having them approach the Empire and Elves in variety of Lores and/or throwing in a bunch of "Super speshul unique lores" to force a symbolic link to the chinese elements (And Old World's Lores aren't all tied to elements either...)... "But it's called JADE Magic!" yeah. But that still doesn't mean it has strong ties to Cathay, since it's the name given to it in the Old World and the names often refer to the "Colour of Magic" (Discworld name drop, yey!), Amber, Jade, Grey, Amethyst, Gold, with the outliers being "Bright", "Light" and "Celestial", though the first two still are referencing to how the wind is perceived. And those are the names of the Colleges as given in the Empire...

"It's called Jade, so the china Equivalent has to be great at it!" sounds rather questionable to me.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'

Blaced said:

what? Yin and yang is more than just "One is light, the other dark". Shadow and Light aren't diametrically opposed to each other... "is a concept of dualism, describing how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another" Which just isn't the case for Ulgu and Hysh.

55JoNNo said:

yeah... Wanna know how that sounds? "They are my super speshul mega awesome wizards! They even keep the Dark Brothers at bay while using their stuff!!!"... Especially if you're dealing with Daemons... And Cathay HAS issues with Tzeentchian cults. Ya think they'd have those if their wizards could just screw the Dark Brothers over?

In TW WH there has been only one character that CLAIMED to be at that Level, Constant Drachenfels, the Great Enchanter. And he was created at a different time of the setting... and might've just deluded himself, he was a bit of an egomaniac afterall. And/or considering his age, he only saw their power as the Dark Brothers came to be.

for me, this whole thread feels like it's going at a "Cathay should have everything and then some" direction...

Most of this just again raises my worries that GW and CA might turn Cathay into the super powerful, mega perfect and great at everytrhing faction it was "portrayed" as in it's cameos (aka: Where it didn't matter if Cathay looked "OMG Unbeatable!" because it wouldn't matter anyway).

The little cameos and tidbits about Cathay worked as a sort of "Mysterious foreign land" teaser, but for a proper WH faction just shouldn't be 100% accurate.
    NeoYas said:

What Magic is Cathay known for? Celestial Magic. THAT should be it's magical focus. Maybe a few more lores? Sure. But having them approach the Empire and Elves in variety of Lores and/or throwing in a bunch of "Super speshul unique lores" to force a symbolic link to the chinese elements (And Old World's Lores aren't all tied to elements either...)... "But it's called JADE Magic!" yeah. But that still doesn't mean it has strong ties to Cathay, since it's the name given to it in the Old World and the names often refer to the "Colour of Magic" (Discworld name drop, yey!), Amber, Jade, Grey, Amethyst, Gold, with the outliers being "Bright", "Light" and "Celestial", though the first two still are referencing to how the wind is perceived. And those are the names of the Colleges as given in the Empire...

"It's called Jade, so the china Equivalent has to be great at it!" sounds rather questionable to me.
    tldr this is just moaning that Cathay might be too strong. ah man if only the faction protecting the eastern world from chaos, being constantly at war with them at the great bastion. what if they were strong? you dont see people complaining about how bat **** op chaos is (lore wise not TT wise). let GW or CA do what they want with the race. if they make them strong jack of all trades master of none faction then let them do that. no one is forcing you to consume their product bro.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,172
    edited May 9
    ALHDON said:

Blaced said:

55JoNNo said:

NeoYas said:

tldr this is just moaning that Cathay might be too strong. ah man if only the faction protecting the eastern world from chaos, being constantly at war with them at the great bastion. what if they were strong? you dont see people complaining about how bat **** op chaos is (lore wise not TT wise). let GW or CA do what they want with the race. if they make them strong jack of all trades master of none faction then let them do that. no one is forcing you to consume their product bro.
    ACtually, I DO COmplain about how boringly OP chaos is. Especially with "Lol, chaos can just bring back any of their characters if they please!" Crap. Great example for that is Lucius the Eternal in 40k iirc. His shtick is: takes over the body of the person killing him if said person feels even an ounce of pride or satisfaction for killing him. Once, he took over the body of a factory worker who made an explosive that killed him... which already was rather ridicoulus... and once, iirc, he actually permadied... and Slaaensh went "Nope!" and brought him back. There never are any actual consequences for Chaos.

ANd:

1) If they make them a strong jack of All trades faction, than they are encroaching ont he Empire's playstyle.
    2) that is ONE point. The other is the people here just "Throw that to them! And this! And why not also invent a load of new lores for them while you're at it?!" rather than trying to give them a fitting selection...

Should Cathay be powerful? Yes. Should it be as "We crush everything hurhur" as their background lore tidbit stuff makes them out to be? No.

Btw.
    united84 said:

I hope Cathay have access to daemonic magic and an end-tier ability to enslave daemons. For course, only a high ranked sorcerer could use such ability plus with some drawbacks.

Even though Cathay is more or less an "order" faction, they are similar to Tau in 40K. For the greater good means using whatever means to achieve an end including exploiting daemonic powers. So, this is in complete contrast to Bret or Empire whom 100% despise chaotic/daemonic powers.

Who says that they are "similar to the Tau"? Can't remember having seen anything like this. The only thing I know is "ASian influences"...
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'

ALHDON said:

Blaced said:

55JoNNo said:

NeoYas said:

ACtually, I DO COmplain about how boringly OP chaos is. Especially with "Lol, chaos can just bring back any of their characters if they please!" Crap. Great example for that is Lucius the Eternal in 40k iirc. His shtick is: takes over the body of the person killing him if said person feels even an ounce of pride or satisfaction for killing him. Once, he took over the body of a factory worker who made an explosive that killed him... which already was rather ridicoulus... and once, iirc, he actually permadied... and Slaaensh went "Nope!" and brought him back. There never are any actual consequences for Chaos.

ANd:

1) If they make them a strong jack of All trades faction, than they are encroaching ont he Empire's playstyle.
    2) that is ONE point. The other is the people here just "Throw that to them! And this! And why not also invent a load of new lores for them while you're at it?!" rather than trying to give them a fitting selection...
    I think you're missing the part where Cathay literally is just the empire but alot bigger. Cathay according to the lore we know is the grandest and strongest empire of man. so no wonder they'll play a bit like the empire. god forbid we give a completely new faction to the franchise a new lore of magic. content complainer andy. yikes weirdchamp.
    this got derailed massively (not pointing fingers)

thank you to those who considered what lores of magic Cathay would use it was fun thinking about new potential magics
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,538

Blaced said:

Light and darkness are explicitly part of the opposing-yet-complementary aspects of yang and yin. Similarly, concepts associated with light such as truth, honesty, and forthrightness are associated with both yang and Hysh, while concepts associated with darkness/shadow such as deception and concealment are also associated with both yin and Ulgu. Yin and yang do encompass other concepts that go beyond light and dark - male and female, activity and passivity, and so on - but Hysh and Ulgu are probably the closest matches out of the lores in the game. Heck, there are apparently philosophical texts that start with defining yin and yang in terms of light and shadow (not even light and dark, light and shadow specifically) and the other dualities grow from there.

I'd just identified it as a "tongue firmly planted in cheek" thread myself.
  • sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 436
    Cathay could come with a brand new lore of magic since they are a brand new faction now. Maybe a lore of dragons or something that has to do with dragon emperor's source of power?
  • yukontherunyukontherun Registered Users Posts: 558
    I think lore of heavens and maybe shadow/light would be good. If we assume they have construct, they would probably need either life (literal jade magic) or their own version of lore of Nekehara.

I hope they don't get every single common lore, I'd like to see that restricted to slann, high elves and empire.

• brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 900
    There are 2 things that stand out in the magic of Cathay:
    1. They have a mastery with the Lords of Heavens that no one else is capable of surpassing.
    2. They use high magic and dark magic at the same time and see it as two aspects of the same magic (Cathay wizards are dragons with a magical compatibility at least equal to that of elves) .