Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3K numbers from leaked Epic documents (from 2019)

RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,046
edited May 9 in General Discussion
There was a leak of documents from Epic vs Apple trial and there are some Total War related stats in it.

In their list of "2019 Steam Titles Not on EGS" it is noted that in 2019 Three Kingdoms sold 2 200 000 of copies on Steam. Revenues from the these copies were $87 098 000 and additional $10 000 000 from DLCs (in 2019 we had Yellow Turbans, Blood DLC and Eight Princes).

For comparsion on the same list Warhammer 2 has sold 1 300 000 of units. Revenue was $31 200 000 from paid copies and $2 000 000 from DLCs. The first Warhammer has sold in the same year 225 000 of units, which gave $7 525 000 of revenue from paid copies and $ 1 000 000 from DLCs.

Revenue for WH2 in Q4 2017 - all 2018 was supposedly $18 600 000.

So in in just 7 months from release 3K revenue ($97 millions) was twice as big as WH2 revenue in the last 27 months (~50 millions), which is October 2017 - end 2019.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
ROMEII
GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
ATTILA
GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
THRONES OF BRITANNIA
Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
WARHAMMER 1 & 2
W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
THREE KINGDOMS
MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
TROY
Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
ROME REMASTERED
RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Scipii.
BI: Romano-British, Sarmatians.

Comments

• LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,119
    Yeah noticed this to. This will silence some
    Forum members who have repeatedly stated ca abandoned 3k and only focuses on warhammer.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,258
    The game has been clearly treated less well than Warhammer. Sales numbers are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. How is the game actually being supported? In fairness it isn't abandoned, but it hasn't been supported as much as Warhammer 2. It's just a fact, just compare the post launch support.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 864
    Shi xie , no FLC and fates divided lack of events comes to mind
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 981
    Making a historical TW set in Asia is easy money & less business risk.

I like European history, my first history book I picked up from the Library (as a child) was about the Vikings. Hence, my fondness for Thrones (though the bad rep it got).

However, European theatre is over used in Total War. The campaign map can feel a little too repetitive and despite the diversity of culture, there's too many games set in Medieval Europe. I hope CA would consider ending TW3K with a grand sequel or prequel standalone game, I am rooting for The Warring States. Easy pot of gold.
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 457
    edited May 9
    united84 said:

Making a historical TW set in Asia is easy money & less business risk.

I like European history, my first history book I picked up from the Library (as a child) was about the Vikings. Hence, my fondness for Thrones (though the bad rep it got).

However, European theatre is over used in Total War. The campaign map can feel a little too repetitive and despite the diversity of culture, there's too many games set in Medieval Europe. I hope CA would consider ending TW3K with a grand sequel or prequel standalone game, I am rooting for The Warring States. Easy pot of gold.

I don't think Europe is overdone as it certainly isn't with Paradox games. Three kingdoms is by far the most innovative game CA have created especially with the Campaign, if they put that level of depth into a game based in the west it would be just as Popular if not more so as there would be at least more faction diversity.

Even the battlefield design is so much better in Three Kingdoms, fighting at salt mines, gold mines, towns, cities etc. The little environmental details of civilians and animals not to mention it has the best unit movement and collision out of any Total War yet. It really is a flawless game, all they have to do is port this level of depth over to an Empire 2 or Medieval 3 and you have a winner
  • RyanLuiRyanLui Registered Users Posts: 235
    edited May 9

Like how Zhang He does not have events to betray Yuan Shao to join Cao Cao, how Guan Yu does not come back to Liu Bei, and how there no events for the "players" who play Liu Bei to conferderate Liu Biao and Liu Zhang. I find that one kinda dumb since only the Ai can conferderate Liu Biao or trigger his death. "Sandbox game" make sense. Really false advertisng the dlc since in the trailer you see Zhang He join Cao Cao unless your suppose to capture him with is rare.
  • TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 413
    Personally I would like to see continued support for Three Kingdoms with DLC's until 2023 when the next major historical title is anticipated. If the money is there why not?

Three Kingdoms has the potential to be one of the best games ever made in my mind if it gets support with 5+ more DLC's and relevant bug fixes so everything works as intended.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,085
    I find those numbers extremely hard to believe given the underwhelming DLCs, slow pace of patches and massive lack of quality unique designs for the game's characters as compared to WH.
    kaihoo said:

I find those numbers extremely hard to believe given the underwhelming DLCs, slow pace of patches and massive lack of quality unique designs for the game's characters as compared to WH.

Those numbers are from the early days of three kingdoms. We still don't know exactly how well World Betrayed, Nanman and fates divided did from a revenue stand point. Those numbers seem quite accurate to me.
  • Fan3982173917524862Fan3982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,381
    kaihoo said:

Those numbers are up to 8P DLC. We know that 3K had a delay on MoH and suffered lower player numbers from being upset with the 8P DLC and Netease deal.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,046

The game has been clearly treated less well than Warhammer. Sales numbers are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. How is the game actually being supported? In fairness it isn't abandoned, but it hasn't been supported as much as Warhammer 2. It's just a fact, just compare the post launch support.

To be honest I disagree a little and IMHO both games follow a similar route in content support.

We are two years after the release - we have 7 DLCs (including blood DLC) and FLCs.

WH2 after 2 years - 6 DLCs (including blood DLC) and FLCs.

Both games are more or less in a state where smaller and quick DLCs are no longer made (3K entered such state some time ago).

Both 3K and WH2 fans are expecting that DLCs will be more ambitious and that they will also include some big and important reworks. This means that we need to wait longer for them, often around 6 months. Even with Troy we will have to wait longer now for the new DLC.

Personally I would like to see continued support for Three Kingdoms with DLC's until 2023 when the next major historical title is anticipated. If the money is there why not?

Three Kingdoms has the potential to be one of the best games ever made in my mind if it gets support with 5+ more DLC's and relevant bug fixes so everything works as intended.

Yeah, as long as its profitable, 3K will have DLCs at least until the next major historical title. Including "Northern" expansion there is probably around 4-5 DLCs still before us.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,258
    I actually really like Total War 3K on balance and I think it has been significantly improved since launch. But let's think about the post-support for the game logically. Let's just look at the facts.

The game launched on 23 May 2019. Here are the DLC released in the first year:

Eight Princes. 8 August 2019

Mandate of Heaven: 16 January 2020

A World Betrayed: 19 March 2020

I'd say for the first year the game was well supported. It fell to pieces in the second year.

Furious WIld: 3 September 2020.

Fates Divided: 11 March 2021.

And that's it. 3 DLCs in the first year (and a free character patch) and in the second year we have had 2 DLC with extremely long gaps in between. Furious Wild introduced loads of bugs which were dormant for half a year and Fates Divided, while an enjoyable chapter pack and a great update, launched with no achievements or historical events.

Let's compare Three Kingdoms to other historical Total War games.

In its second year, Rome 2 Total War received the Imperator Augustus free scenario (Sep 2014), Black Sea culture pack (Nov 2014), Wrath of Sparta (Dec 2014). It also received frequent patching.

Three Kingdoms is more akin to Atilla, which was not as popular as Rome 2 on its launch. It only received one DLC in is second year (Slavs). However, it received far more DLCs in its first year than Three Kingdoms did.

Now let's look at Warhammer 2. It received Vampire Coast (Nov 2018), Prophet and Warlock (April 2019), Hunter and the Beast (Sep 2019). I've been fair here and haven't counted the many free DLC lords. But it's clearly been better supported than 3K.

In fact, let's not even think about Warhammer 2's second year. Let's look at Warhammer last year! When it was three years old! Warden and the Paunch (May 2020), Twisted and Twilight (Dec 2020). So it received two DLCs, the same as Three Kingdoms did, when it was years old. That is unlike any Total War aside from Rome 2.

It doesn't matter how you cut it. Three Kingdoms has not been supported to the same extent as heavy hitters such as Rome 2 and Warhammer.
    edited May 11

kaihoo said:

Those numbers are from the early days of three kingdoms. We still don't know exactly how well World Betrayed, Nanman and fates divided did from a revenue stand point. Those numbers seem quite accurate to me.
    Yeah, these numbers were from 2019, so up to Eight Princes DLC.

Based on "Top Sellers of 2020" stats from Steam we know that 3K ended up in "bronze" tier (in 2019 it was in "platinum" tier) and Warhammer2 ended up in "silver" tier (in 2019 it was in "gold" tier). We don't know how much revenue these means in 2020 but last year 3K sold less than WH2.
    Post edited by RafSwi7 on

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
    edited May 10

I actually really like Total War 3K on balance and I think it has been significantly improved since launch. But let's think about the post-support for the game logically. Let's just look at the facts.

The game launched on 23 May 2019. Here are the DLC released in the first year:

Eight Princes. 8 August 2019

Mandate of Heaven: 16 January 2020

A World Betrayed: 19 March 2020

I'd say for the first year the game was well supported. It fell to pieces in the second year.

Furious WIld: 3 September 2020.

Fates Divided: 11 March 2021.

And that's it. 3 DLCs in the first year (and a free character patch) and in the second year we have had 2 DLC with extremely long gaps in between. Furious Wild introduced loads of bugs which were dormant for half a year and Fates Divided, while an enjoyable chapter pack and a great update, launched with no achievements or historical events.

Let's compare Three Kingdoms to other historical Total War games.

In its second year, Rome 2 Total War received the Imperator Augustus free scenario (Sep 2014), Black Sea culture pack (Nov 2014), Wrath of Sparta (Dec 2014). It also received frequent patching.

Three Kingdoms is more akin to Atilla, which was not as popular as Rome 2 on its launch. It only received one DLC in is second year (Slavs). However, it received far more DLCs in its first year than Three Kingdoms did.

Now let's look at Warhammer 2. It received Vampire Coast (Nov 2018), Prophet and Warlock (April 2019), Hunter and the Beast (Sep 2019). I've been fair here and haven't counted the many free DLC lords. But it's clearly been better supported than 3K.

In fact, let's not even think about Warhammer 2's second year. Let's look at Warhammer last year! When it was three years old! Warden and the Paunch (May 2020), Twisted and Twilight (Dec 2020). So it received two DLCs, the same as Three Kingdoms did, when it was years old. That is unlike any Total War aside from Rome 2.

It doesn't matter how you cut it. Three Kingdoms has not been supported to the same extent as heavy hitters such as Rome 2 and Warhammer.

I still disagree.

Post WH2 games content support should not really be compared to older games like Rome2 or Attila. Which of these DLCs of Rome2 or Attila included big reworks that changed how factions play or how major game mechanics work?

The answer is three and these were only for Rome2 - politics rework with Empire Divided DLC, female leaders with Desert Kingdoms DLC and family tree rework with Rise of the Republic DLC. We had to wait longer, 5-6 months between these DLCs and all of them appeared when Sofia team has taken over Rome.

The first Warhammer had no reworks, so it released content in very fast pace but the second game started having these reworks (at first there were only small updates but with time they ended up being big overhauls).

In general DLCs slowed down when CA started reworking important things in their games and I am happy they are doing this as these make games better (even if now I have to wait longer for DLCs).

Post edited by RafSwi7 on

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
  • Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 246
    I wonder if the licence fees they have to give Games Workshop still have to be taken out or not.
    RafSwi7 said:

kaihoo said:

Based on "Top Sellers of 2020" stats from Steam we know that 3K ended up in "bronze" tier (in 2019 it was in "platinium" tier) and Warhammer2 ended up in "silver" tier (in 2019 it was in "gold" tier). We don't know how much revenue these means in 2020 but last year 3K sold less than WH2.
    Are these "tiers" only for base game sales or also DLC's?
    edited May 10
    Ares101 said:

I wonder if the licence fees they have to give Games Workshop still have to be taken out or not.

Probably, this is overall sales revenue, but it doesn't really matter for our purposes what the profit margin is (after variable and allocated fixed costs are subtracted), as long as we are comparing the same type of figures we can get a feel, even if just general, for how a game did in a given year relative to another as well as compared to previous years. But it is true we can't make many assertions because revenue is not profitability.

I would assume that these amounts are gross and probably are before the cut that steam, games workshop, sega and whatever other licensing fees they pay are taken out. Perhaps TK is more profitable per unit sale than warhammer since there is no games workshop equivalent but I really don't know.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,607
    Those numbers are from 2019 when the game was at it's peak, back when they actually cared about releasing free character packs (albeit only 4 characters) and cared about patching the game here and there. A good comparison would be to compare those 2019 numbers to 2020 numbers.

• RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Registered Users Posts: 705
    I still feel like 3K has the potential to be the best TW of all. But the slow rollout of support holds it back. It's by far the best historical title imo, and I really enjoy the European settings as well.

RafSwi7 said:

kaihoo said:

Based on "Top Sellers of 2020" stats from Steam we know that 3K ended up in "bronze" tier (in 2019 it was in "platinium" tier) and Warhammer2 ended up in "silver" tier (in 2019 it was in "gold" tier). We don't know how much revenue these means in 2020 but last year 3K sold less than WH2.
    Are these "tiers" only for base game sales or also DLC's?
    Paid copies + DLCs/Microtransactions

Here is the fragment of 2019 table from leaked document:

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 805
    RyanLui said:

Like how Zhang He does not have events to betray Yuan Shao to join Cao Cao, how Guan Yu does not come back to Liu Bei, and how there no events for the "players" who play Liu Bei to conferderate Liu Biao and Liu Zhang. I find that one kinda dumb since only the Ai can conferderate Liu Biao or trigger his death. "Sandbox game" make sense. Really false advertisng the dlc since in the trailer you see Zhang He join Cao Cao unless your suppose to capture him with is rare.
    more importantly, I take big issue on Zhang He being a dwarf compared to other characters >:(