Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

One Thing that would really benefit performance in WH3 if Implemented

redknight83redknight83 Registered Users Posts: 448
I am really hoping that in WH3 when it releases it comes with DLSS (Nvidia) and FSR (AMD) as option. These image upscaling technologies which work by effectively taking a image like 1080p and upscaling it to 1440p. So you would be getting the performance and FPS of the 1080p but on the screen in front of you is 1440p (or whatever res you want).

If your wondering how on earth this works basically complicated AI.

If such a feature was in a game it would make it easier for most people to run the game with higher FPS and at higher resolutions.

People are always complaining about how badly the game seems to perform but I really think this would help if it is possible to be implemented. Although I know that the main thing that slows down the game is the CPU, not the GPU I think this would really help.

Comments

• MikhaelHMikhaelH Member Registered Users Posts: 220
    It might help a bit, but as you point out, the real greater daemon in the room is the appalling, and I mean appalling multi cpu core optimization of this game.
  • redknight83redknight83 Registered Users Posts: 448
    MikhaelH said:

It might help a bit, but as you point out, the real greater daemon in the room is the appalling, and I mean appalling multi cpu core optimization of this game.

I know, with more and more people having multi core CPUs these days, yet the game engine seems completely incapable of taking advantage of that resource.
  • VictuzVictuz Sao Paulo, BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 413
    edited May 11
    Yeah I imagined DLSS the moment I read the title.

Fingers crossed they will introduce it and ray tracing. But more importantly, fingers crossed for WH3 to be as smooth as Troy is.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,057
    MikhaelH said:

Would love to hear more about this from them. Surely they have their reasons?...

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• MaziskyMazisky Registered Users Posts: 367
    edited May 11
    55JoNNo said:

MikhaelH said:

Would love to hear more about this from them. Surely they have their reasons?...
    They have improved over time, since both 3kingdoms and Troy make a better uses of multicores than Warhammer and previous games

They also said with the newer title they are taking away some process from the CPU to put it into the videocard since in almost every Total War the load is heavily toward the cpu
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Registered Users Posts: 300
    Mazisky said:

55JoNNo said:

MikhaelH said:

They have improved over time, since both 3kingdoms and Troy make a better uses of multicores than Warhammer and previous games

They also said with the newer title they are taking away some process from the CPU to put it into the videocard since in almost every Total War the load is heavily toward the cpu
    Where was this? Not doubting, just curious (and excited).
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,298
    Cyberpunk is not a Creative Assembly game. Comments removed. Discuss this thread's topic, such as it is.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 1,098
    It really sucks to have a very powerful CPU and that a demanding game like TWW 2 is not making proper use of it.

Since CA reuses their engine A LOT for future total war games if they did a major CPU usage improvement for TWW 3 it would benefit all of their games in the future.
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,619

Mazisky said:

55JoNNo said:

MikhaelH said:

Where was this? Not doubting, just curious (and excited).
    Google Total War 3K or Troy optimisation and you will get quite a few hits, Troy seems to be more based on TWW 2 while 3K seems the more advanced so its a bit of wait and see how TWW 3 shapes up.

page 5 of this review, you can find links to other pages at the bottom:

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/software/a_total_war_saga_troy_pc_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/5
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,064
    The TWW engine is old, it is a dog, it is based on an older version of a game engine that is almost a decade old. 3K was a big improvement and TWW3 with the 3K engine would have been amazing.

It's clear why they didn't do that of course, but it would still have been amazing. I hope one day in the future they re-release TWW with a completely revamped engine and features of newer engines.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,619

The TWW engine is old, it is a dog, it is based on an older version of a game engine that is almost a decade old. 3K was a big improvement and TWW3 with the 3K engine would have been amazing.

It's clear why they didn't do that of course, but it would still have been amazing. I hope one day in the future they re-release TWW with a completely revamped engine and features of newer engines.

You talk in the past tense, TWW 3 is a new game and can take advantage of the architectural changes made since the release TWW 2.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,064
    twwatcher said:

You talk in the past tense, TWW 3 is a new game and can take advantage of the architectural changes made since the release TWW 2.
    There will be no major changes, it's the same engine ass TWW2 with minor tweaks and some new features. It's not going to be any kind of 'major overhaul' like with 3k as that would take way too long.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • Quasar2299Quasar2299 Registered Users Posts: 178
    Victuz said:

Fingers crossed they will introduce it and ray tracing. But more importantly, fingers crossed for WH3 to be as smooth as Troy is.

Raytracing seems a bit pointless in Warhammer, rasterization does a good enough job, and the performance hit you take from raytracing would probably not be worth it. Personally, I'd rather they not do raytracing, and focus resources on CPU optimization or DLSS.
  • redknight83redknight83 Registered Users Posts: 448

Victuz said:

Raytracing seems a bit pointless in Warhammer, rasterization does a good enough job, and the performance hit you take from raytracing would probably not be worth it. Personally, I'd rather they not do raytracing, and focus resources on CPU optimization or DLSS.
    DLSS and and FSR are not raytracting.

However they are sometimes talked about in the same sentence as raytracing because as DLSS and FSR can greatly improve raytracing. This is because of the large boast in FPS that they give, were as when you turn raytracing it usually has the opposite effect. So their effect on fps cancels each other out more or less

I do agree there is no point point in raytracing but DLSS and and FSR would greatly improve FPS in game