Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please please please of please let the riders of Monstrous Cavalries actually attack this time!

GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,910
edited May 13 in General Discussion
And not jsut the newly releasing Bloodcrushers and Kislev Bear Cavalries. But retroactively let Demigryph Knights, Cold Ones, Necropolis Knights, etc. actually swing their damn weapons.

Those cavs come with weapon variants, so dammnit they better actually use their weapons or else what the heck is the point of being armed?

Comments

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 5,939

Those cavs come with weapon variants, so dammnit they better actually use their weapons or else what the heck is the point of being armed?

Minor Stat differences and Roster bloat.
    Beastmen

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,180
    Now I'm reaching back...

...but I believe in the TT both the mount and rider make an attack. So the stats of the mount very much do matter.
  • AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 2,047
    The funny thing is, shock cavalry is almost useless nowadays. If the mechanics of the cavalry charge are not changed, useless Juggernauts and Bear Cavalry await us, which will not kill anyone, so they will also get stuck in the Breton peasants.

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,180
    How are they useless? Most of them are useless charging the front of spearmen... but... that's by design.

Hit from other angles and they seem to do fine.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,725
    Better than fine. In multiplayer match ups, speed is still the most valuable asset. Lose all your mobility and the match is over. In SP cav may run into issues born from everything but melee infantry being more efficient, but you can't balance a roster around buff stacking. Kislev by virtue of having powerful fast shock options is already guaranteed to be at a minimum competitive before we consider faction effects.
  • ALHDONALHDON EstaliaRegistered Users Posts: 565
    Helhound said:

Better than fine. In multiplayer match ups, speed is still the most valuable asset. Lose all your mobility and the match is over. In SP cav may run into issues born from everything but melee infantry being more efficient, but you can't balance a roster around buff stacking. Kislev by virtue of having powerful fast shock options is already guaranteed to be at a minimum competitive before we consider faction effects.

bear's are also guaranteed to have a fear effect. maybe even terror
    Warhammer 3 = Pogu Content
  • Frank9945671Frank9945671 Registered Users Posts: 301
    Azurian said:

The funny thing is, shock cavalry is almost useless nowadays. If the mechanics of the cavalry charge are not changed, useless Juggernauts and Bear Cavalry await us, which will not kill anyone, so they will also get stuck in the Breton peasants.

Learn to use cavalry
    edited May 13
    Also I have a hard time believing the upcoming Monstrous Cav options will be anything but brutal. I can't speak to their animations and whether they actually use their own weapons as pointed out by the OP, no one can considering we haven't seen anything yet, but I can speak to how Skullcrushers and Bloodcrushers should perform roughly. If they are anything like their TT counterparts, and so far CA has gotten close to mark with all but a few from each roster, they'll be hands down the melee cav to beat.

Hang shock tactics with these guys. Of the two Skullcrushers especially will likely have a relatively mediocre charge bonus save for their inherent frenzy, trading up instead for just devastating melee stats. Its a **** Champion of Khorne riding on the back of a brass automaton literally from the depths of hell itself. It's armor stacked on top of armor, covered by more armor, ridden by a dude who is more armor than flesh, all protected by a shield larger than most men. Everything about the unit screams drop me into the thick of it and get the **** outta my way. Bloodcrushers on the other hand, are Juggernauts ridden by the much less protected Bloodletters. Of the two this is the one who'll be the shock variant. Slightly faster, though doubtful it'll be very quick still, and higher charge bonus considering the glass cannon nature of a Bloodletter. Either way I doubt highly that either unit will struggle to score kills against the biggest your opponent can offer, let alone be stopped by "Breton Peasents".

Bears also fit the mold more as melee cav than shock cav. Bears are very fast to be sure. There's an argument to be made that cycle charging makes sense for an otherwise fairly skittish animal. But come on, it's an armored bear. That's get in there with claws and fangs and don't back out material. It also helps that Kislev won't lack for light shock options, so having Bears be the melee half just rounds out the roster better. Curious to see how they match up though. One of the wild card units we don't really have a TT counterpart for.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 1,786
    Man if only cav units with lances would switch to a hand weapon in close combat.
    Change is on the way...

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Speaking of monstrous cavalry... Warhammer's premiere cavalry faction is going to be left even further behind in the dust now.

RIP Bretonnia, at least you tried. I wish that CA and GW would have done the same...
  • Nico_NINico_NI Registered Users Posts: 421
    Itharus said:

Now I'm reaching back...

...but I believe in the TT both the mount and rider make an attack. So the stats of the mount very much do matter.

Yes, they did. But TWW has gone astray form the TT.
  • Nico_NINico_NI Registered Users Posts: 421

Speaking of monstrous cavalry... Warhammer's premiere cavalry faction is going to be left even further behind in the dust now.

RIP Bretonnia, at least you tried. I wish that CA and GW would have done the same...

I hope that when the Beastslayer comes (it's my only hope for BR content now) we will have at least some tools to deal with those SEM

Maybe, maybe not.

They were always going to lose the light cav to Kislev, but I'm not certain they'll lose the shock side of things. Grail Knights set a pretty substantial bar to beat for anti-large cav, even without AP, and Grail Guardian and Questing Knights are no joke either. Point for point Bretonnia is currently the faction you do not want to trade into cav on cav, as even if you do manage to beat them you'll do so at cost.

The monstrous cav is where things get wierd. We don't know how Bear Cav will perform in a brawl. If they can field Bear Cav that can outmatch Grail Knights/Guardians head on without support than yes, Bretonnia lost its one trick to Kislev. Can't beat em for speed or in a head on fight. If Grail Knights can consistently put down Bears while staying cost effective then that's still something.

Juggernauts were always going to be Juggernauts, but I'll bet you pay out the teeth for either Skullcrushers or Bloodcrushers. Just because they will likely beat out anything Bretonnia fields cav wise, doesn't mean they do it cost effective.
    Nico_NI said:

I hope that when the Beastslayer comes (it's my only hope for BR content now) we will have at least some tools to deal with those SEM
    Jules the Jester will be the next Bretonnian just to put salt in the wound..
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 13,898

And we haven't even seen the cavalry capabilities of salneesh and cathay yet.

CA. We have run out of content for Bretonnia

Also CA . We together with GW made ton of units from scratch for wh 3 races.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
    edited May 13
    saweendra said:

I don't mind Bretonnia not getting more content, but then what is there needs to be done justice.... Grail Knights should be the absolute epitome of cavalry in the game... Remember that Questing Knights often 1v1 several of the most deadly creatures of the Warhammer World..

Grail Knights are the best cavalry warriors in all the world... Except for Demigryph Knights... And Blood Knights.... and Bloodcrushers... and Skullcrushers... And Kislev Bear Cavalry.... And Ogre Mournfangs.... Actually Grail Knights aren't that good.....
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,910
    Or at the very least update the damsel and prophetess to actually look human
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 13,898

saweendra said:

I don't mind Bretonnia not getting more content, but then what is there needs to be done justice.... Grail Knights should be the absolute epitome of cavalry in the game... Remember that Questing Knights often 1v1 several of the most deadly creatures of the Warhammer World..

Grail Knights are the best cavalry warriors in all the world... Except for Demigryph Knights... And Blood Knights.... and Bloodcrushers... and Skullcrushers... And Kislev Bear Cavalry.... And Ogre Mournfangs.... Actually Grail Knights aren't that good.....
    Youre forgetting necropolis knights with helberds.

I mean youre not incorrect but the issue its not just the monstrous or the monstrous cav that beat Bretonnia. Its them plus their support

Which is why the poison change made Bretonnia one of the best factions in MP.

Two things that needed to be changed to grail tier knights is they need loose some models and gain HP so one cannon ball 8 knights don't happen.

B. They need support like seriously Bretonnia would be loosing cav fight Greenskins of all things if not for fay enchantress. Thats how bad things are and this is with basically knights of the realm and QK tad op. Because we do have grail knights with less models royal pegasus knights. They are not that good as well because to make them really work you need louen imo. Without them they do ok. But honestly they will strugle to take down any big monster and if supported by any infantry. And loose.

Anyway i guess its too late for Bretonnia i honestly don't see them buffing grail tier knights. Because of balance because its more less set in stone that they need to be slightly weaker than blood knights and slightly stronger than dragon princes..

Any way. Its just sad.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc