I watched, I said "this looks like a mobile game with in app purchases" I saw the comment that this all feels very Dawn of War 3 - I felt a bit sick.
I remember the first battle showcasing WH1. It was itself very very rough.
Fliers curled round like airborne prawns - CA fixed it
Orcs jumped a lot - CA fixed it
LOTS of similar issues were dealt with between the video and the release and WH1 was amazing.
These survival battles feel wrong right now because they are not grounded in any strategic gameplay. That is the link CA need to fix. Total War is strategy, and strategy games must reward those turn clicks - not undermine them with odd mechanics.
I see the issues as:
1. Right now there is a new game resource "amazingum" that you "collect" in the Chaos realm
- all feels very - '£2.50 for 100'
- all feels a bit disconnected from the achievements of planning and running an empire for goodness knows how many turns
2. Auto-summon units and roster gate-kept by 'progress in battle'.
- that undermines the progress I made building my empire doesn't it?
- did I even need to build the building on the campaign map? Are they linked?
- where are these troops coming from?
3. Auto improve troops/auto heal/buff
- Again, very pay to win/mobile game
- diminishes strategy if I'm frantically clicking random buttons
- gaming works when it is tied to a narrative I believe. I believe lore of life healing spells - I do not believe a random button for 20% heals
- what just placed out of no-where?
- Justify them, do not make them a gamey feature - a tower placed surely is a tower that can be destroyed
There used to be a poster who had in his sig the idea that fantasy, while seemingly odd, works if it is grounded in internal logic. I think that is what CA need to reconsider. DoW3 was a colossal failure because they tried to do too much and reinvent the wheel.
Please don't do that.