Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY by @Indypride

saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 12,727

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,708
    The good:
    - Kislev looks great
    - Big red looks solid

The bad
    - Heavy reliance on unit variants
    - Entering the Realm of Chaos

The ugly
    - Recolours of existing units for Chaos
    - Realm of Chaos again.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 5,653

The good:
    - Kislev looks great
    - Big red looks solid

The bad

The ugly
    - Realm of Chaos again.

Sounds about right.
    Beastmen

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,937
    edited May 14
    The Good:
    -Amazing models
    -A cool looking map

The Bad:
    -Some far fetched new mechanics

The Ugly:
    -No Chaos Dwarfs.... pain
    -What looks like the same scripted battle A.I.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,337
    If units appear on the side of the map that feels like TT, in the sense of units like BlightLord Terminators being fast-tracked into the tabletop through use of command points after turn one.

Again, this is a one off battle and just doesn’t represent the actual game. The majority of what happens here doesn’t happen overall.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 929
    The Good:
    -Finally deeply needed balance tweaks
    -Kislev

The Bad:
    -I feel like i don't know much more of what i knew before reveal.
    -Was this game mod really the first we needed to see?

The Ugly:
    -3d portraits. Why they even exist? I can turn them off but 2d is sometimes even worse.
    -Some effects (those flaming gates look like 480p).
  • angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Registered Users Posts: 1,403
    edited May 14
    I do agree with the heal my guys button being very brainless, Im not sure the tower defense mode will be very fun after the 2nd time
    Soon

I do agree with the heal my guys button being very brainless, Im not sure the tower defense mode will be very fun after the 2nd time

Don’t they already have healing and extra goodies in WH2 quest battles?

Would be good to have them limited the higher the difficulty level goes up though.

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,349

The good:
    - Kislev looks great
    - Big red looks solid

The bad

The ugly
    - Realm of Chaos again.

Agree, CA is rehashing the same few units way too frequently

Don’t they already have healing and extra goodies in WH2 quest battles?.
    Yep, and it trivializes those events as well.
    Beastmen

Surge_2 said:

Some people think that.

• elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 498
    I honestly expected more from him. Way more.
    There's some stuff that he said that make me want to choke myself.
    1. "...at least in land battles you can use you unit composition and tactics do the talking for you...". I don't think i need to add anything else. That **** seem something that you'd see in this forum, not hear from a youtuber. I don't want to even imagine what is his vision of how big sieges should work. Probably a big af map where streets are extremely wide and walls can be destroyed by a single cav charge.
    2. He talks about bloodthirsters not being able to land and being ganked in the air, but really, a bloodthirster by lore (if this has still any meaning to tww players) won't ever land to get his ass covered by his other troops because of his pride. What he's asking is to eliminate an important characteristic of Khorne and his followers only because he doesn't want the gank cheese removed. That's just wrong on so many levels.
    3. SEM spam is meta in campaign above all because they are able to deal a lot of damage and take few, NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T LOSE EFFECTIVENESS. No one cares if they can deal damage at 1/2 hp the same they do at full, because they already don't take much damage. The Wound ability is specifically thought for a PvP enviroment where fast SEM/characters can cycle charge indefinitely in the late game.
    Otherwise what he said is reasonable and i agree with a lot of points. But jesus christ those three above are just bad.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,404
    Seems like the best showcase review video so far. With solid observations like janky engagements. Plenty of time to fix.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 11,520
    edited May 14

Would be good to have them limited the higher the difficulty level goes up though.
    Rarely.

Or at least, from what I remember of early in game 2, the final vortex map didn't have those originally. TK final battle doesn't have them, Vampire Coast final battle is very limited in number, and the last lord pack run starting with HnB I think didn't have any of them at all, or was again limited in use like Vampire Coast.

It's still better explained than a bland "heal unit" button.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,235
    Whilst not as bad as the Cody Bonds video, many of these points seem a little, how do I put it, dumb?
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,229
    Thought he had a lot of valid points.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Rubz2293Rubz2293 Registered Users Posts: 390

Ironically CA already pulled this stunt in WH2, but everyone forgot. The Vortex final battle gives you a nuke that obliterates enemy units and heal your own units.

As Indy claims, this battle was easy mode to attract new players and to help out the gaming journos. Problem is if I was a new player, I wouldn't be impressed by the Bloodthirster showcase...seeing as it barely killed any units with its huge axe swipes. It I was unfamiliar with Warhammer, I wouldn't be attracted by a game with big flaming demons that only look the part, but not the function. This mode was not a good showcase for Khorne, which is by far the most iconic thing left for WH3.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 3,070
    The most important thing I took from this video, is that history repeats itself.

As he said, this is the Fallen Gates battle situation all over again, people all over the place complaining like this is the end of the world, only for the game to release and all those complains going away as they see that they weren't warranted, heck, that battle was shown only 3 moths before the game launched, in this case it has been shown at least 6 months before launch, seriously, some people should take some self restraint classes, because some of the dumb reactions I have seen, like the game looking like a MOBA, make me loose my faith in humanity.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 4,701
    Actually a pretty well-rounded video.
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 499
    I agree with all of his points and let me say my own:

What I like :
    1. Building stuff (I hope It gets into sieges/battles/settlements)
    2. Khorne units can't wait for more to be shown
    3. The shrines (building you need to capture) again I hope this gets added in sieges/battles/settlements

What I'm neutral about :
    1. Recruiting units
    2. Unlimited mana for casters (But I think the enemy needs to use it VS you too !!!)

What I don't like :
    1. Recruiting endgame units.
    2. RoC = chaos waste in Vermintide 2... (atleast the battlemap) I think the campaning map will be better.
    3. Fighting infront of Khorne citadel ... RoC is begin downplayed...
    4. (personal most ppl like it but I don't) Kislev has too many bears.
    5. Heal and stamina HEAL for pay points !!!

Surge_2 said:

Some people think that.
    People who know how to play, yes.
    Beastmen

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 2,943
    I won't judge units variants and reskins until I know the full rosters.

If Khorne have some great surprises in store, I couldn't care less the Spawns are recoloured. If they only have 8 variants of armored dudes with axes and 4 kinds of Bloodletters, then yes, it'll be a problem.

But no need to be pessimistic already, there is still a lot we don't know, it's much too soon to say that CA relied too heavily on reskins and variants !
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,708

The good:
    - Kislev looks great
    - Big red looks solid

The bad

The ugly
    - Realm of Chaos again.

I just hope Big Red isn't an indicator for the other gods.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 940

The good:
    - Kislev looks great
    - Big red looks solid

The bad

The ugly
    - Realm of Chaos again.

I just hope Big Red isn't an indicator for the other gods.
    Hope you enjoy Flamers (blue) and Flamers (red) or Daemonettes (dual pincers) and Daemonettes (whips).
  • MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 144
    I think those buffs, like Regen and Vigor boosts would work better if they had a loreful story based tie in.

Turn the boosts into godly blessings. Part of the whole narrative is receiving godly help, have those "in battle" boosts be tied to godly favor. You gain godly favor by slaying Chaos forces, that favor then translates to boosts.

Keep the resource mechanic for the fortifications, but instead of appearing in a magical flash, make the fortifications take some time to build. Have it so you need to select a unit to build it. That unit then gets a hammer animation like the builders in Age of Empires, where they take several seconds to build it, making them unavailable for combat until they are finished.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 12,727
    Moneris said:

I think those buffs, like Regen and Vigor boosts would work better if they had a loreful story based tie in.

Turn the boosts into godly blessings. Part of the whole narrative is receiving godly help, have those "in battle" boosts be tied to godly favor. You gain godly favor by slaying Chaos forces, that favor then translates to boosts.

Keep the resource mechanic for the fortifications, but instead of appearing in a magical flash, make the fortifications take some time to build. Have it so you need to select a unit to build it. That unit then gets a hammer animation like the builders in Age of Empires, where they take several seconds to build it, making them unavailable for combat until they are finished.

yeap this can be good system if tweaked
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Some people think that.
    No, usually wannabe devs

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Some people think that.
    No, usually wannabe devs
    Nah. I understand why they do it. Same reason you cannot actually fail the Vortex.

Casuals need to be able to 'win'.
    Beastmen

Whilst not as bad as the Cody Bonds video, many of these points seem a little, how do I put it, dumb?

I love all the great explanations and details you contributed to support your point.
    edited May 14
    Maelas said:

I won't judge units variants and reskins until I know the full rosters.

If Khorne have some great surprises in store, I couldn't care less the Spawns are recoloured. If they only have 8 variants of armored dudes with axes and 4 kinds of Bloodletters, then yes, it'll be a problem.

But no need to be pessimistic already, there is still a lot we don't know, it's much too soon to say that CA relied too heavily on reskins and variants !

This was CA's chance to hit the iron while it's hot, to drum up hype.

Moments like these devs bring their A-game and even falsely spruce up their game beyond what they really are. While I'm sure there'll be something cool from other gods and Cathay, this is already looking a little disappointing. This is the "show unrealistically optimized and pretty face of your game to get people to buy it"-phase of marketing, the part where Cyberpunk doesn't look like trash, the part where Watch Dog actually looks pretty, the part where dwarfs could hold cannons on walls.

How lazy can you get to just slightly tint a chaos spawn red?
    I like how Indy goes in on this.

Good video.
    Beastmen