Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Round out the world of Warhammer

rrrrfgrrrrfg Registered Users Posts: 57
Hello everyone,

If you've ever played with Naggarond and confederate Malus, you probably know the great difficulty of sending armies from the northwest corner of the map to the southeast corner and vice versa. The map is simply too large and is expected to grow even larger at Warhammer 3.

I would like to make a simple suggestion- I do not know if the world of Warhammer is round or not, but when CA develops the Mortal Empires version of Warhammer 3, which will include the whole world of Warhammer, I would recommend them to make the map round- it means, that in a second you can move from the east end to the west end, like in the Total War Empire. It will cut the journey in half, and even if the faction you play is located at the end of the world - you will still be able to feel things.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 843
    edited May 15
    Yes the Warhammer world is round.

I agree, I have been advocationg a globe for the combined map for a while or at the very least a cylinder (so east connects to west)
    Post edited by Ninjipples on
  • rrrrfgrrrrfg Registered Users Posts: 57

I agree, I have been advocationg a globe for the combined map for a while or at the very least a cylinder (so east connects to west.

Are you sure Warhammer's world is round? Wow, give me your address and I'll send you flowers
  • elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 1,210
    rrrrfg said:

I agree, I have been advocationg a globe for the combined map for a while or at the very least a cylinder (so east connects to west.

Are you sure Warhammer's world is round? Wow, give me your address and I'll send you flowers
    In lore DE not only raid Lustria and Old World/Southland's west coast, but also the east (mainly Cathay and i imagine, even if is not mentioned in lore, Nippon just out of being close to Cathay's coast).
    So yeah, is round.

Though, for how stupid it might seem, technically it make more sense to consider the WH World an enlarged cylinder rather than a sphere. This is because the poles are an intersection of the material plane with the chaos realm, which means that said poles are no technically there. I mean, they are, but you can also say that that **** there is not the WH World anymore but the chaos realm.
    Is complicated.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,305
    Everyone around the globe knows that the Warhammer world is flat. People saying otherwise are Tzeentch cultists.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,421

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

ArneSo said:

Everyone around the globe knows that the Warhammer world is flat. People saying otherwise are Tzeentch cultists.

True, flat and standing on 3 elephants standing on top of a giant sea turtle.
    ROMOBOY said:

Very good. Anyway, we should mention this to CA so they do not forget.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,966
    A simpler idea is to give the map what's called a "horizontal wrap-around" so that when you scroll West -- East, it never bumps into a border, the sides connect, and you can just sail right over. It effectively lets you have a globe without worrying about making an actual globe.

For example, see Dominions 5 - an excellent game, btw.
    Itharus said:

A simpler idea is to give the map what's called a "horizontal wrap-around" so that when you scroll West -- East, it never bumps into a border, the sides connect, and you can just sail right over. It effectively lets you have a globe without worrying about making an actual globe.

exactly
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 843
    rrrrfg said:

You literally state in your OP
    rrrrfg said:

I do not know if the world of Warhammer is round or not

Why do you have to be a **** about it? When I respond?
    edited May 15

rrrrfg said:

You literally state in your OP
    rrrrfg said:

I do not know if the world of Warhammer is round or not

Why do you have to be a **** about it? When I respond?
    Do not really understand. Anyway, I did not mean to offend.

I really did not know that Warhammer's world was round. It was not cynical. Sorry anyway
  • GrotbaggGrotbagg Registered Users Posts: 250
    Round map would be sweet. Wonder what they would do to the far south, just cut it out entierly. Also, a full map almost begs for Nippon and Ind factions...?
    Grotbagg said:

Round map would be sweet. Wonder what they would do to the far south, just cut it out entierly. Also, a full map almost begs for Nippon and Ind factions...?

I don't understand the rabid fanbase for Ind and Nippon. I'm not one for content denial, but there's just no content there to be had.

Like... what are you excited about? All we know about Nippon is "samurai are here". All we know about Ind is that it's a land of many fragmented human petty-kingdoms that engage in the spice trade, oh, and they have some unusual beastmen that may or may not be thralls of chaos, but they're also not part of the human population of Ind.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,325
    Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

I don't understand the rabid fanbase for Ind and Nippon. I'm not one for content denial, but there's just no content there to be had.

Like... what are you excited about? All we know about Nippon is "samurai are here".

-----Red Dox
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,494
    Red_Dox said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

Like... what are you excited about? All we know about Nippon is "samurai are here".

-----Red Dox
    Is there even anything on Ind though? Genuine question btw, I know nothing about Ind other than Tigermen I guess.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 811
    edited May 16
    Itharus said:

Which means they get to make up new content. Stuff we've never seen before. Even in 30 years of the tabletop game.

It's also kinda hard to screw up fantasy feudal Japan.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
    Yes, Red Dox, look! SAMURAI ARE HERE!

Can't tell if you're trying to chide me or support me, lol.

Red_Dox said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

-----Red Dox
    Is there even anything on Ind though? Genuine question btw, I know nothing about Ind other than Tigermen I guess.
    No. Nothing that indicates anything particularly noteworthy.
  • SnoopacSnoopac Registered Users Posts: 414
    The Warhammer world is flat and I will not accept any other false interpretation.

Jokes aside, I think that sounds cool! It'll be kind of sad not being able to dream of Lumbria somewhere east of Cathay, but otherwise the mechanic makes perfect sense. Being able to sail west of Naggeroth/Lustria or walk fully around the Chaos Wastes would be great. I'm not sure if they'll do it though, because I still personally expect them to cut out Nippon, those weird Elf islands to the south, Kuresh and Ind so the map might look even weirder if it went around but who knows? If it was like Empire with the portal zones then that would work quite well I feel.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,246
    Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

Like... what are you excited about? All we know about Nippon is "samurai are here". All we know about Ind is that it's a land of many fragmented human petty-kingdoms that engage in the spice trade, oh, and they have some unusual beastmen that may or may not be thralls of chaos, but they're also not part of the human population of Ind.
    If you reduce a faction like that, everything is bland. What does the empire have to offer than knights and cannons? What do the dark elves have to offer than naked and angry elves? What do vampires have to offer than well vampires and zombies?

Aren't you a fan of hobgoblins? What do they have to offer but large goblins on wolves?

Ind has a unique spot in the setting.
    First it is based on india. A subcontinent with thousands of years of history and cultural diversity. It offers so many templates to create interesting warhammer stuff. If you include folklore and mythology too, then the possibilites are almost endless.

Second, we know that non-hostile beastmen live there. Cool things can come from this if done correctly.

Third, it creates blood steel and magical weapons which even elven priests of vault cannot completly understand. Probably a note to damascus steel, aks what valyrian steel would be in the real world. It is suspected to have been originated in india, but europeans first encountered it in damascus.

Fourth it has a unique spot on warhammers international theatre with close ties to finubar and the HE, Cathay, Ogres and other factions. Its trade contacts and diplomatic position could as well offer interesting gameplay mechanics.

Ind holds potential. I'd say the greatest potential right after Cathay.
    Nippon is important too, but I let other people sum it up.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 590
    Itharus said:

I believe there is also something similar used in the generated map for the Civilisation games, where the far west and eastern sides are linked to one another. So in theory it should be something they are able to implement depending of course on what the games code is like. But the idea had also crossed my mind as well so I would be very happy to see a connection made that would prevent the DE and Cathey being effectively stuck in the corner of either map.

Another thing that I've also heard mentioned is that around Naggarond there is actually a sort of underground Sea that is large enough for even Black Arcs to travel through. So this could work as an effective way to move them from one side of Naggarond to the other depending on where they are needed.
  • Shomy93ssShomy93ss Registered Users Posts: 72
    Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

After playing Jrpgs, watching anime, playing games like Nioh and visiting Yokai wiki and looking at Indian mythology there is so much cool stuff besides samurai and all that history troops stuff CA can add to them. Kitsune, Tengu, Snake neck lady, Tanuki, Oni, Wall Yokai, Four armed elephant man giants, Horse men, Six armed monkeys(wich are mentioned in lore), winged lions(also mentioned) Nagas(all do Khruesh will have them as well) and the list of that wonderfully bizarre stuff goes on.
    Plus Teclises AoS faction(thats mix of hellenic and asian style) has Kitsune like character and another that looks like Monkey King that Cathay will get. So does might be test for Cathay and Nippon designs.
    F
    sykall said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

If you reduce a faction like that, everything is bland. What does the empire have to offer than knights and cannons? What do the dark elves have to offer than naked and angry elves? What do vampires have to offer than well vampires and zombies?

Aren't you a fan of hobgoblins? What do they have to offer but large goblins on wolves?

First it is based on india. A subcontinent with thousands of years of history and cultural diversity. It offers so many templates to create interesting warhammer stuff. If you include folklore and mythology too, then the possibilites are almost endless.

Second, we know that non-hostile beastmen live there. Cool things can come from this if done correctly.

Third, it creates blood steel and magical weapons which even elven priests of vault cannot completly understand. Probably a note to damascus steel, aks what valyrian steel would be in the real world. It is suspected to have been originated in india, but europeans first encountered it in damascus.

Fourth it has a unique spot on warhammers international theatre with close ties to finubar and the HE, Cathay, Ogres and other factions. Its trade contacts and diplomatic position could as well offer interesting gameplay mechanics.

It's not reduction of a faction when there is no faction there. That's the point. It's a wholly blank slate. Y'all are getting excited over a slip of paper. Nippon has some unit stats floating around, but is otherwise basically empty. So it's actually ahead of Ind in a way, but its still nothing yet. Hobgoblins had lore, units, models - that's why I support them. Cathay actually had less, but had enough fluff about them to go for a roll and they did because market forces; they've also always been on the books as an important regional force that actually does stuff, even if it is effectively always under siege -- they tie up a lot of the horrors of the east so that they don't all ride west and give the empire more grief, lol. It's just that Ind and Nippon rn are nothing. So I don't understand the hype. If CA/GW came and said "We're making Ind!" then F yeah -- I'll hype with you. But... there's nothing to clutch to in the mean time, not even a shadow.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,393

Red_Dox said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

-----Red Dox
    three things

tigermen
    6 armed monkey warriors
    Winged Lions

so basically some thing Like BM but on the side of order

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Itharus said:

F

sykall said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

It's not reduction of a faction when there is no faction there. That's the point. It's a wholly blank slate. Y'all are getting excited over a slip of paper. Nippon has some unit stats floating around, but is otherwise basically empty. So it's actually ahead of Ind in a way, but its still nothing yet. Hobgoblins had lore, units, models - that's why I support them. Cathay actually had less, but had enough fluff about them to go for a roll and they did because market forces; they've also always been on the books as an important regional force that actually does stuff, even if it is effectively always under siege -- they tie up a lot of the horrors of the east so that they don't all ride west and give the empire more grief, lol. It's just that Ind and Nippon rn are nothing. So I don't understand the hype. If CA/GW came and said "We're making Ind!" then F yeah -- I'll hype with you. But... there's nothing to clutch to in the mean time, not even a shadow.
    It doesn't have to be written in the lore all the time what they do or what units they have for people to be hyped about them. Just have to look at Kislev, Brettonia, Cathay, Araby and so who have creatures of our world countries folklore(Slav, Chinese, Arab/Iranian, Celtic /King Arthur, Aztec, Egyptian and so) and whose wh factions are based on does countries. Going by that is why people familiar with Japan and Indian mythos and history are hyped about possibility CA and GW can create for does. Elephant man, Tigermen and so many Yokai. Cathay will have Monkey King who is iconic Chinese myth character and Kislev will have Baba Yaga who is also iconic for Slavs.

If this was other fantasy IP like LOTR or GOT that have their versions of far east it would be difficult to predict what units they would have because GRR Martin and Tolkin go with unique stuff that makes it look more alien(Mongol/Hun likes riding Zebras) with little bit of that China/Japan style. With Warhammer its easy to see that most of Japanese and Indian mythos will be in race because GW takes a lot from real world myth and history.
    What the... how did that F sneak in there. Bloody... draft saves... As amusing and possibly appropriate as that F is in that post, it was unintentional, roflmao.

Actually, I think I'll leave it :)
    Itharus said:

F

sykall said:

Itharus said:

Grotbagg said:

I do not get your way of thought to be honest. The hobbos are as much a blank slate as the rest of the factions like Nippon or Ind. Because they have nothing but a few lore blurbs, and the hobgoblin models we actually have are not even from the hobgoblin khanates, or from very old editions. How accurate these old ones are is dubious at best. And if you would try to actually make a faction out of the official material the hobbos have, you do not get more than the most barest skeleton of a faction, probably missing a few legs and bones.
    To be a faction on standard to the other TWW factions many other things would need to be invented for a proper Hobgoblin Khanate faction and to truly make them distinct from both basic greenskins and their chaos dwarfs equivalents. Similar to how GW/CA invent stuff for Kislev and Cathay and probably the monogods as well, and how they would need to invent stuff for Ind, Nippon or else.

Not to mention that the overall impact of the actual hobgoblin khanates is minuscule as far as we currently know of. Their greatest moment was backstabbing the other greenskins during the revolt, but that was a Hobgoblin act in general, especially by those still tied to the chaos dwarfs.
    What have the Hobgoblin Khanates themselves actually done? Not hobgoblins in general, not chaos dwarfs hobgoblins, but hobgoblin khanates.

In summary:
    Yes out of the eastern factions Cathay is the most prominent and has the most lore behind it. But directly after it comes Ind, again due to is close ties to other elven factions, And the role the position it plays over the ivory route and its close contact to both the Ogre Kingdoms and Cathay. All this makes Ind more prominent in the setting at large as the Hobgoblin Khanates, at least according to the information we currently have access too.

Do not misunderstand me, I have no problem if the Hobbos would come as their own faction. But what I do not understand is how you dismay other eastern factions on the basis that they are a blank slate, whilst we are getting a blank slate with Cathay, and instead advocate for a faction that is a blank slate too.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    The line of thought comes from reading a lot of the collected lore and the sheer preponderance of it for a given faction. A preponderance Ind and Nippon decidedly lack.

Ind is not an elven area... there's like... one small trading colony there (they have those scattered all over the world). It's basically Elven Goa. Ind itself is a ton of tiny petty kingdoms trading spices and they have some frufru beastmen that shoot cuddle beams from their eyes or something. It's got zero prominence other than spice resources. It's a pit stop on the way to Cathay. (yes it's hyperbole on the beastmen, but not the Goa thing, that's actually accurate). The other major interaction Ind has with elves is Fellheart's family repeatedly devastating their coastal settlements and laughing about it.

As for Hobgoblins, wot? They *are* a major presence. They're basically the major depressing force (them and regular chaos invasions) on that entire third of the world (quarter?). Not sure why you don't know that. It's stated in enough places. They're an omnipresent threat in the east. Hell, they're even Ind's primary antagonist (other than their own, warring, petty kings) and what makes their spice road so dangerous. What keeps the Hobgoblins from spilling out into the west: The Greenskins and Dwarfs in the World's Edge, primarily. What keeps them from spilling out into the east? The Bastion.
    Itharus said:

The line of thought comes from reading a lot of the collected lore and the sheer preponderance of it for a given faction. A preponderance Ind and Nippon decidedly lack.

Ind is not an elven area... there's like... one small trading colony there (they have those scattered all over the world). It's basically Elven Goa. Ind itself is a ton of tiny petty kingdoms trading spices and they have some frufru beastmen that shoot cuddle beams from their eyes or something. It's got zero prominence other than spice resources. It's a pit stop on the way to Cathay. (yes it's hyperbole on the beastmen, but not the Goa thing, that's actually accurate). The other major interaction Ind has with elves is Fellheart's family repeatedly devastating their coastal settlements and laughing about it.

As for Hobgoblins, wot? They *are* a major presence. They're basically the major depressing force (them and regular chaos invasions) on that entire third of the world (quarter?). Not sure why you don't know that. It's stated in enough places. They're an omnipresent threat in the east. Hell, they're even Ind's primary antagonist (other than their own, warring, petty kings) and what makes their spice road so dangerous. What keeps the Hobgoblins from spilling out into the west: The Greenskins and Dwarfs in the World's Edge, primarily. What keeps them from spilling out into the east? The Bastion.

Sigh... I did not say Ind was an elven area. I said it gained some prominence especially the value of its weapon creating, as part of several elven character backstories. Still weapons and metalls of such a quality that even elven master smiths cannot decipher its secrets. Something unique other than spices and special beastmen.

Now about the second area, what? What? Omnipresent threat that could overrun the old world if greenskins and dwarfs do not keep them there? What? Yes hobbos are a threat, but what you describe fit the description of the kurgan and other chaos tribes much more than Hobbo Khanates, about which next to nothing of substance is still known. Where are interactions between khanates and dwarfs? Heck how shall they be inds primary antagonist? Little is known about ind and hobbos and nothinh about interactions between these two as far as I am aware. Please stop making stuff up.