Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thanquol, Skreech Verminking and the remaining Skaven content

TheWattmanTheWattman Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 866
Skaven are far from my favourite race, but they have one of the most expansive rosters in the setting that is, as it stands now, still not complete after being a core race included in 3 DLCs and an FLC. And as we have been confirmly told by CA, the Skaven will surface again under the leadership of Thanquol in WH3, so that basically guarantees atleast one more Skaven DLC. However, as Skaven will be the first race to break the 6-lords barrier, we might go even further to consider Skreech Verminking, the greatest of Verminlords, for candidacy as well, to round the new number out to 8 lords. And 8 is a number that might be necessary to cover all the updates needed for races like the Lizardmen, High Elves, Empire and Vampires.

So therefore I've gone through the content still missing for the Skaven and compiled a list based on Clan-affiliation, so that we could have a discussion over exactly what units could be included in Thanquol's coming update and also a hypothetical centered around Skreech Verminking. This is the roster that I compiled:

Clan Skryre and Clan Eshin: DONE

Clan Pestilens:
- Plaugelord (L) - The End Times Vol IV: Thanquol AND Warhammer: Lustria, The Bubonic Court of Nurglitch
- Plague Pontifex (Wizard Pestilens Lord to Mount the Cauldron) - Warhammer: Lustria, The Bubonic Court of Nurglitch
- Cauldron of a Thousand Poxes (Single-Entity Warshrine/Mount) - Warhammer: Lustria, The Bubonic Court of Nurglitch
- Rat Spawn (Skaven equivalent of Chaos Spawn) - Warhammer: Lustria, The Bubonic Court of Nurglitch
- Plague Rat (Monster) - Various sources
(There are other units from the Bubonic Court, but they are either base game infantry Clan-variants or heroes that were excluded because we already have plague priest heroes)

Clan Moulder:
- Skweel Gnawtooth (LH Packmaster) - Warhammer Armies: Skaven (7th Edition)
- Master Moulder (L) - Warhammer Armies: Skaven (7th Edition)
- Burrowing Behemoth (Monster) - White Dwarf #311
- Chimaerat (Skaven Hydra Monster) - White Dwarf #311
- Flayerkin (Modified Chaos Marauder Infantry) - White Dwarf #311 AND Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2nd ED -- Ashes of Middenheim
- Great Pox Rat (Monster/Mount) - Warhammer Armies: Skaven (7th Edition)
- Rat Riders (Skaven Light Cavalry) - White Dwarf #317
- Armoured Rat Ogres / Augmented Rat Ogres (Rat Ogre Variants) - White Dwarf #317

Generic/Mixed Skaven Content:
- Verminlord (L) - Many sources
- Stormfiends (Enhanced Rat Ogres, many variants) - Warhammer: The End Times Thanquol Book 2

As we can see from this, the majority of missing still-missing content belongs to Clan Moulder and Clan Pestilens. However, some of these may have been rendered superflous or irrelevant with the "recent" Clan Moulder DLC. The Brood Horror could be argued to fill the role of Great Pox Rats, the Burrowing Behemoth and the Plague Rats as the medium-sized Rat monster it is. Beyond this though there is definetly enough content for 2 more DLCs. And since now every major Skaven clan has had a themed DLC, except for Pestilens, maybe we should look to provide them with some content first with Thanquol. In that case, we could see something like this:

DLC 1 (Thanquol):

LL - Thanquol

L - Plaguelord + Cauldron Mount

Units:
Stormfiends
Rat Spawn
Cauldron of a Thousand Poxes
Flayerkin
(Plague Rat)

and then

DLC 2 (Skreech):

LL - Skreech Verminking

L - Verminlord

Rat Riders
Armoured OR Augmented Rat Ogres
Burrowing Behemoth
Chimaerat

What do you think guys? What should Thanquol's and a hypothetical Skreech DLC contain?

Comments

• mdgh1991mdgh1991 Registered Users Posts: 429
    For me, as a skaven fan, only stormfiend matters. Maybe armored rat ogre as well. And for lords, master mutator and verminlord.
    I think no need for 2 DLCs.
    1DLC + 1FLC = Thanquol + Verminking
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 25,016
    While I would love it, I think 1 LP is enough to add the remaining content.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,967
    Honestly I think that Thanquol, Exalted Verminlords (lord type), Verminlords (SEM) and 2-3 Stormfiend variants would work just fine. I have a feeling that Skreetch Verminkin might end up like Lord Kroak or Sarthorael if anything. That's plenty of content and Charlemagnes for one side of a LP, leaving the rest of the budget (hopefully not lopsided) for whomever they're paired against.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,281
    Verminking would make a nice boss for Nagash campaign.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,107
    Verminlord and Thanquol is must have for me without them Skavens are not yet complete, don't really care much about the rest... Maybe Armored Rat Ogres but not Stormfiends much they're End Times unit blehhh.
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
  • ScionOfTheEmperorScionOfTheEmperor Registered Users Posts: 363
    This is how I'd do the Final Skaven LP

LL: Grey-Seer Thanquol
    LH: Skreech Verminking
    GL: Exalted Verminlords
    U: Verminlords (All Variants plus a new one for Moulder), Stormfiends (Two Variants, Melee & Ranged) & Cauldrons of a Thousand Poxes.
    As an extra we could hopefully get the Great Pox Rat as a Mount.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,901
    Problem I see with Verminlords as Lords is that the four variants of them make all other skaven lords obsolete. Being essentially them but in a SEM package.
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I doubt Skaven will really get every random units from old editions. Most likely, Skaven will get only one more lord pack in game 3 with 3-6 new units. CA do not have unlimited resources and time. Skaven are not only race with a few missing units.

I expect this for final Skaven lord pack:
    • Legendary lord: Thanquol
    • Legendary hero: Boneripper
    • Generic lord: Exalted Verminlord
    • Units: Verminlord, Stormfiends(2-3 variants), Cauldron of a Thousand Poxes + maybe Rotten Rodents and Pusbags
    • FLC(total war access): Great Pox Rat mount(for Warlord and Plague Priest)
    • FLC legendary lord: Skreech Verminking
    For now, Clan Pestilens have only 3 own units in the game. It make sense to boost their options in next Skaven lord pack. Also, I doubt CA will really skip Verminlord and Stormfiend.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,195
    edited May 18
    DLC 1 - Thanquol; Skreetch legendary hero; Stormfiends; a few monster units

DLC 2 - Klawmunkast - full customisable Rat Tank; Warp Fire Doom Magna Cannon; all clans receive their infantry Guard unit including multiple Red Guard variants.

I’d like to see Queek get an update so we can have a real/viable Warlord build option.
    edited May 18
    Labria said:

I doubt Skaven will really get every random units from old editions. Most likely, Skaven will get only one more lord pack in game 3 with 3-6 new units. CA do not have unlimited resources and time. Skaven are not only race with a few missing units.

• Units: Verminlord, Stormfiends(2-3 variants), Cauldron of a Thousand Poxes + maybe Rotten Rodents and Pusbags
    For now, Clan Pestilens have only 3 own units in the game. It make sense to boost their options in next Skaven lord pack. Also, I doubt CA will really skip Verminlord and Stormfiend.
    I think Skaven both getting a FLC and a DLC is a bit of a stretch unless its pretty late in game 3's life cycle. Not with 18+ other factions all contending for the slots as well.

Plus the only thing left that doesn't start utterly power creeping older units and additions is Thanquol. And that rat is honestly perfect for a white dwarf promotion.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,281
    edited May 18
    Uagrim said:

And that rat is honestly perfect for a white dwarf promotion.

The most expensive Skaven character to make is perfect for FLC?
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,195
    Uagrim said:

Labria said:

I think Skaven both getting a FLC and a DLC is a bit of a stretch unless its pretty late in game 3's life cycle. Not with 18+ other factions all contending for the slots as well.

Plus the only thing left that doesn't start utterly power creeping older units and additions is Thanquol. And that rat is honestly perfect for a white dwarf promotion.
    Chances of Thanquol being some giveaway? Remote.
    Uagrim said:

Labria said:

I don't expect final Skaven lord pack any time soon. Most likely, Skaven will get also FLC legendary lord together with their Cross lord pack in game 3 like Wood Elves in last DLC.

Josef Bugman make more sense for White Dwarfs promotion in game 3. I really doubt CA will give us Thanquol for free. He is most popular missing Skaven character.

I just hope CA will not ruin Thanquol with legendary hero slot in Skaven lord pack with Skreech Verminking.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,715
    Just when I think I'm over how miffed I am at Thanquol being withheld from us for so long, someone reminds me of it.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,411
    Thanquol DLC, Skreech FLC LL coming with the DLC, that leaves Skaven at 8 LL, the perfect final number for them, with all the important clans represented and most note worthy characters added.

Verminlords will most likely work the same way as the Greater Deamons, Exalted variant as Lord and the different
    normal types as SEM.

I don't understand people saying that Skreech should be a LH, he is the closest thing Skaven have to a race Leader, he is to the Horned Rat what Kairos is to Tzeentch for example, he is no LH material by any means.
    Labria said:

Uagrim said:

Labria said:

I don't expect final Skaven lord pack any time soon. Most likely, Skaven will get also FLC legendary lord together with their Cross lord pack in game 3 like Wood Elves in last DLC.

Josef Bugman make more sense for White Dwarfs promotion in game 3. I really doubt CA will give us Thanquol for free. He is most popular missing Skaven character.

I just hope CA will not ruin Thanquol with legendary hero slot in Skaven lord pack with Skreech Verminking.
    Bugman would be a horrible choice for a White Dwarf promo since he is pretty much the main breakout character dwarfs have. The rest is all pretty set in runecraft and machinery. Unlike Thanquol who is pretty much an upgraded grey seer Bugman is vastly different from every other dwarf lord option as a stalk and vanguard ranged lord.

Thanquol DLC, Skreech FLC LL coming with the DLC, that leaves Skaven at 8 LL, the perfect final number for them, with all the important clans represented and most note worthy characters added.

Verminlords will most likely work the same way as the Greater Deamons, Exalted variant as Lord and the different
    normal types as SEM.

I don't understand people saying that Skreech should be a LH, he is the closest thing Skaven have to a race Leader, he is to the Horned Rat what Kairos is to Tzeentch for example, he is no LH material by any means.

I agree. Skreech Verminking have big potencial to be interesting daemon legendary lord for Skaven.
    People just love to ruin interesting characters with legendary hero slot.

I think 8 legendary lords will be final number for all core races from game 1 and game 2.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,715
    Labria said:

I don't think CA would pass up the opportunity of making a heap of cash by not having Thanquol front and centre of his own DLC. He is very, VERY popular amongst Warhammer fans. Think Malus Darkblade, but more so.

Plus a big part of his appeal is his personality, so he'd need his own narrative campaign and cinematics.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,638

Verminlord and Thanquol is must have for me without them Skavens are not yet complete, don't really care much about the rest... Maybe Armored Rat Ogres but not Stormfiends much they're End Times unit blehhh.

There's plenty of ET units already in the game so I don't see the issue there. If an ET unit fits with the overall themes of Fantasy, I say it's fine.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • RalevRalev Registered Users Posts: 92
    Thanquol is by far the content I am most looking forward to for WH3, even more so than any of the core races or CD.

I would love pestilens to get a bit more love but does seem a bit unlikely given how many other races from 1/2 need content/reworks (looking at you, Dawi). If I had to choose one thing then an actual Pestilens lord would be it (i.e. pontifex), I somewhat doubt we'll see Nurglitch...
  • MadDemiurgMadDemiurg Registered Users Posts: 4,605
    1 DLC:

LL: Thanquol
    LH: Skreech
    Hero: Verminlord (4 variants) - awakened with a rite like Slaan (13th Scheme can do that + other effects it has now)
    Unit: Stormfiend (3+ variants, warpfires, ratlings, one melee at least)
    (maybe) Unit: Giant rats (fast chaff)

I think this would wrap up Skaven content nicely.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,826
    I don't care how many Stormfiends variants come with Thanquol, but he need to bring Giant Rats. It's the last 8th non-swarm unit, and it's a sad thing that Skaven still don't have any Real rats !
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,800
    Labria said:

normal types as SEM.

I agree. Skreech Verminking have big potencial to be interesting daemon legendary lord for Skaven.

I think 8 legendary lords will be final number for all core races from game 1 and game 2.
    I'm really starting to wish legendary heroes didn't exist.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,411

Labria said:

normal types as SEM.

I'm really starting to wish legendary heroes didn't exist.
    They are cool when they make sense, but some people gets a little carried over with the idea.
  • AlchimistAlchimist Registered Users Posts: 291
    Uagrim said:

Problem I see with Verminlords as Lords is that the four variants of them make all other skaven lords obsolete. Being essentially them but in a SEM package.

Not necessary.

In campaign you'd most likely have to summon them through a ritual, making them rare enough for other lord options to remain relevant.

In multiplayer they'd be more expensive, leaving other options open for a cheaper choice.