Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

My Take on Thematic Army Compositions - Wood Elves

GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 369
edited April 28 in General Discussion
Disclaimer: I am not a lore expert by any means, and I am not saying that every army I list is feasible on legendary. Some armies are expensive; I do not care about multiplayer.

Time for the next segment on thematic army compositions! This one was actually requested, so here you go:

1) Orion

Orion gets the cavalry build. The inclusion of Great Stag knights actually made me want to play Orion again, and I thought that I was done with him.

Orion
Ariel*
Glade Captain on Great Stag
Wardens of Cythral
Wildwood Rangers x5
Wild Hunters of Kurnous*
Wild Riders x3*
Lost Sylvan Knights
Great Stag Knights x2
Glade Riders (Hagbane Tips) x4

*Edits due to the input of John_Kimble, Zekerath, and Helhound

2) Durthu

If zoats fit any of the WE lords, I feel like it'd be Durthu. His army lacks ranged units, but at the risk of being too similar to Drycha's build, it really felt like I should keep elves out of his forces.

Durthu
Branchwraith
Dryads x6
Great Eagle x2
Firebark Elders
Treekin x3
Treeman x2
Enigmas of Ghyran
Zoats x2
Forest Dragon

3) Sisters of Twilight

Probably the most traditional-looking build in the thread. The hawk riders for the Sisters are amazing and act as the forward ranged units; the deepwood scouts can be used like traditional missile infantry, firing from behind the melee line.

Sisters on Ceithin-Har
Ariel
Glade Captain on Great Eagle
Bladesingers x4
Deepwood Scouts (Swiftsilver Shards) x3
Hawk Riders x4
Sisters of the Thorn x3*
Great Eagle x2
Forest Dragon

*Edits due to the input of Helhound

4) Drycha

Drycha's army is one of the easiest, as she gets units all to herself. Her entire army aside from the Dryads RoR is exclusive to her campaign. I've selected the spiders and hawks because they are fast units to compensate for her lack of ranged units. The Wraiths seemed appropriate with Drycha rather than with Durthu.

Drycha
Coeddil
Malevolent Branchwraith (Life)*
Wraiths of the Frozen Heart
Malevolent Dryads x5
Giant Spiders x3*
Great Hawks x2
Malevolent Treekin x4
Malevolent Treeman x2

*Edits due to the input of Zekerath and Helhound

Thoughts and opinions? I paid the price for not looking at the skill trees before I posted this, so I've already made a few edits based off of community input.

Links to previous lists:

Dwarfs https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288070/my-take-on-thematic-army-compositions-dwarfs

Vampire Counts https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288074/my-take-on-thematic-army-compositions-vampire-counts

Greenskins https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288285/my-take-on-thematic-army-compositions-greenskins
Post edited by GoldfishLord on

Comments

• peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,420
    I hate a beasts mage - but i agree it is fitting to the theme. I for one like this one (as well as your other posts).
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,210
    100% you need to have some standard Wild Riders and especially the Wild Hunters of Kurnous with Orion. If you also want to keep it thematic, then Ariel belongs in his army, not in the Sisters (they are just her emissaries, which means they technically are not together most of the times).

Again, if you want to go thematic, i think the SoT is way too Bladesingers/Wardancer heavy.

Generally though, nice post as usual!
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 689
    I personally also throw in a life branchwraith for Drycha if I play as her faction, just for good measure.

Also, yes, I think Ariel belongs with Orion.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,906
    edited April 28
    1) Sisters run a flying brigade, and as the Heralds of Ariel will likely field her alongside them. The SoT do not buff Wardancer/Bladesingers in their character line, nor does Ariel, so fielding a lot of them is probably counter thematic. Instead, Ariel bumps Sisters of Thorns a metric ton, and the Sisters of Twilight heavily boost flying units in their stacks. Run Dragons, Hawk Riders, Eagles if you really want to, and Sisters of Thorn alongside Ariel to have a super thematic Sisters of Twilight stack.

2) Orion is missing his Wild Riders. These are the single most important unit for a thematic Orion stack, as they are the ones who run alongside his Wild Hunt. If you want to run a bunch of other Glade Riders and Great Stag Knights alongside the Wild Riders that's fine, the more cavalry the better, but if you're keeping to theme Wild Riders must be there.

3) Durthu's list is fine here. Anything forest related and not elf works great. Personally I would just run stacks of Dryads, Treekin, and Treeman. Skip the Eagles, call it good.

4) Drycha is also fine. Would cut a Great Hawk and Wolf for more Spiders, but otherwise looks good.
  • GoldfishLordGoldfishLord Registered Users Posts: 369
    edited April 28

I hate a beasts mage - but i agree it is fitting to the theme. I for one like this one (as well as your other posts).

I know lol, while I don't have any particular dislike for the lore of beasts, it is probably my least favorite magic school. At least they've changed some of the racial units you get when you cast Transformation of Kadon, though. That's neat.

And thank you!

100% you need to have some standard Wild Riders and especially the Wild Hunters of Kurnous with Orion. If you also want to keep it thematic, then Ariel belongs in his army, not in the Sisters (they are just her emissaries, which means they technically are not together most of the times).

Again, if you want to go thematic, i think the SoT is way too Bladesingers/Wardancer heavy.

Generally though, nice post as usual!

I had considered the Great Stag Knights to be the "upgraded" Wild Riders, but I concede the point. You're right; I'll edit that in.

However, in regards to Ariel: I can put her with Orion, but given how centric she is to the Sisters' campaign and final battle, it wouldn't feel right pulling her out of their army. While your assessment of the term "emissary" is spot-on, that's not exactly what is represented in the game.

I appreciate the input and thank you for fine-tuning the post!
    Zekerath said:

I personally also throw in a life branchwraith for Drycha if I play as her faction, just for good measure.

Also, yes, I think Ariel belongs with Orion.

Honestly, I just completely forgot about malevolent branchwraiths. They're listed in the campaign-exclusive section of custom battles, so its exclusion was accidental! Good catch.
    Helhound said:

1) Sisters run a flying brigade, and as the Heralds of Ariel will likely field her alongside them. The SoT do not buff Wardancer/Bladesingers in their character line, nor does Ariel, so fielding a lot of them is probably counter thematic. Instead, Ariel bumps Sisters of Thorns a metric ton, and the Sisters of Twilight heavily boost flying units in their stacks. Run Dragons, Hawk Riders, Eagles if you really want to, and Sisters of Thorn alongside Ariel to have a super thematic Sisters of Twilight stack.

2) Orion is missing his Wild Riders. These are the single most important unit for a thematic Orion stack, as they are the ones who run alongside his Wild Hunt. If you want to run a bunch of other Glade Riders and Great Stag Knights alongside the Wild Riders that's fine, the more cavalry the better, but if you're keeping to theme Wild Riders must be there.

3) Durthu's list is fine here. Anything forest related and not elf works great. Personally I would just run stacks of Dryads, Treekin, and Treeman. Skip the Eagles, call it good.

4) Drycha is also fine. Would cut a Great Hawk and Wolf for more Spiders, but otherwise looks good.

Wow, I was pretty off-base for the Sisters. I thought that they had a Bladesinger buff, but I checked, and you're right, it's just the generic one. I left them in her army just so that she'd have infantry to blob up enemies for the Sisters of the Thorn to attack more easily, but I removed the Wardancers. I forgot entirely about Ariel's buffs to Sisters of the Thorn, so thank you very much for pointing that out; that was crucial.

There's like a 50/50 chance that I'd actually put Eagles in my Durthu stack if I was actually playing. They have a good utility for his army, but there's something nice about going full tree. That's what I did my first time playing him.

I took your advice for the spiders! You got me thinking that the spiders are pretty unique to Drycha, and pretty much every faction has some variant of wolves, so I changed it a bit. They're slower than the wolves, but plenty fast enough to flank infantry. Thank you!
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,906
    @GoldfishLord

Drycha's Spiders are also AP. Though they have mediocre combat stats, put out to flank with a good rear charge they reap a horrific amount of damage. Keep em away from intercepting shock cav and Drycha's Spiders are pure gold.
    Helhound said:

@GoldfishLord

Drycha's Spiders are also AP. Though they have mediocre combat stats, put out to flank with a good rear charge they reap a horrific amount of damage. Keep em away from intercepting shock cav and Drycha's Spiders are pure gold.

I was already looking forward to a Drycha campaign, but my interest has now increased.
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,410
    edited May 18
    Great topic. I just started an Orion campaign.

My thematic army is going to be like this:

1.Orion - theme: cavalry and ambush

Orion
    Waystalker (save-scummed to get one with Talon of Kurnous trait)
    Ariel
    Glade Captain on Great Stag
    Hawk-eyes of Drakira
    5 * Waywatchers
    Wild Hunters of Kurnous
    3 * Wild Riders (Shields)
    Lost Sylvan Knights
    2 * Great Stag Knights
    3 *Sisters of the Thorn (Ariel's retenue)

I'm wondering if one could build thematic armies not just with LLs but around the Forest offices as well (I know they aren't that great for Orion).

I'm thinking of using the Master of Scouts for the Sisters and Spirit of the Hunt for Durthu (those are pretty straightforward).

I plan to get a lord for the Master of supplies and try a simili High Elves armies wiith wood elves, with a "staunch line of spears" vibe (and a couple of Dragons....). it's probably not going to work but I'll still try.

Now I'm wondering about how to build an army for the Master of Drums slot. I'lll use bladesingers and wardancers of course but I don't want a "Lord + 19 bladesingers army"

What would be unit that would be appropriate for a Loec theme? I have:
    - Wardancers (including RoR)
    - Bladesingers
    - Spellsinger Lore of Shadow
    - Glade Captain on foot with blessing of Loec.
    - Maybe a Branchwraith?

Which unit in the WE roster would fit a Loec theme?

Ah found something. Forest Dragons should be ok:
    Concerning Dragons
    Though Forest Dragons seldom pay heed or homage to the deities of the Elves (few are prepared to admit the existence of beings nobler or more powerful than Dragons), most have a grudging respect for Loec, the Lord of Laughter. At heart, Dragons are creatures of cunning and intellect, and they admire the legerdemain by which the Shadow Dancer rescues Elven souls from Slaanesh as well as the trickery Loec employs to erode the Dark Prince's vengeance once the deed is done. Indeed, many Forest Dragons hold true to the belief that Loec honed his cleverness under the tutelage of Draugnir, Father of Dragons. The Wardancers, being Loec’s foremost devotees, hold that the opposite is true, and love to engage Forest Dragons in battles of wits to prove their point.[3a]

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Loec

Post edited by MiniaAr on
    MiniaAr said:

Now I'm wondering about how to build an army for the Master of Drums slot. I'lll use bladesingers and wardancers of course but I don't want a "Lord + 19 bladesingers army"

What would be unit that would be appropriate for a Loec theme? I have:
    - Wardancers (including RoR)
    - Bladesingers
    - Spellsinger Lore of Shadow
    - Glade Captain on foot with blessing of Loec.
    - Maybe a Branchwraith?

Which unit in the WE roster would fit a Loec theme?

Ah found something. Forest Dragons should be ok:

Concerning Dragons
    Though Forest Dragons seldom pay heed or homage to the deities of the Elves (few are prepared to admit the existence of beings nobler or more powerful than Dragons), most have a grudging respect for Loec, the Lord of Laughter. At heart, Dragons are creatures of cunning and intellect, and they admire the legerdemain by which the Shadow Dancer rescues Elven souls from Slaanesh as well as the trickery Loec employs to erode the Dark Prince's vengeance once the deed is done. Indeed, many Forest Dragons hold true to the belief that Loec honed his cleverness under the tutelage of Draugnir, Father of Dragons. The Wardancers, being Loec’s foremost devotees, hold that the opposite is true, and love to engage Forest Dragons in battles of wits to prove their point.[3a]

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Loec
    Good find with the Forest Dragons! So, I'm not extremely well-versed in the lore, but given that Loec is an Elven deity, I might hesitate to include a Branchwraith in the army if you're going for a thematic build. That said, I may be incorrect, and the forest spirits may have relationships with parts of the Elven pantheon. The tidbit about the dragons surprised me, after all. Just saying, my thoughts are far from concrete facts. I think that a Waystalker hero could be justified, though, and that would give you a ranged, melee, and magic hero. I understand if you don't want to be that character-heavy.

The real meat of the question is finding the right ranged unit for the army. You could use the same swiftsilver shards Deepwood Scouts unit that I used for the Sisters. There was nothing lorewise that really tied them to the Sisters or I think to Loec, but to me they were the most "shadow-like" archer units. Mounted archers may be permissible, too. With Loec, based on my basic lore knowledge, I would mostly keep to elf units and, where possible, incorporate the shadow theme, as you've already done with the hero units that you listed.
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,410
    Well Thanks.

I was considering a Branchwraith for the Loec theme army because they have spells of the lore of Shadows. But this is a tenuous relationship I agree.

I'm also trying to use the Glade Captain alonside the offices to define the armies I'll be using.
    Indeed, they have mutually exclusive skills that can be used in thematic army (as well as their mounts):

- GCaptain on Great Stag + Born to ride skill: Gives strider to all cav units in the army -> Perfect for Orion cav-heavy Army

- GCaptain on Great Eagle + Death from Abobe skill: Gives Fear to Hawk Riders -> Perfect for Sisters Army with heavy emphasis on the air force

- GCaptain unmounted + Touched by Loec skill: Gives vanguard and Stalk (I think) to wardances and bladesingers -> Perfect for the Loec themed army. I put Daith in charge of it. I also gave Daith the Dance of Loec basic skill and the GCaptain the upgraded Possessed by the trickster god. Both basic and upgraded versions stack.

- GCaptain with Wildwood veteran (Vanguard for Wildwood rangers unit) - unmouted or on a Elven Steed?
    -> This one I don't know what to do with it. What would be a Wildwood themed army, outside of rangers?
    Maybe combine wildwood rangers with cavalry but non-stag based (so no Wild riders/Great Stags nor Sisters of the Thorn to differentiate with Orion's army?

Also thank you for your suggestion to try and use the arrow types to help with the themes, I didn't think about it.
    For Loec, I would indeed say either Deepwood Scouts with Swiftshiver shards or Glade Guards with Hagbane tips (so poison, which seems to fit the trickster theme).

From the army book descriptions:
    - Hagbane tips: These arrows are tipped with the tainted shards know in Athel Loren as ‘the Callach s Claws’. They are as deadly as their namesake’s touch — even a scratch can prove fatal if the venom settles in the target’s blood.

- Swiftshiver shards: These arrows are crafted from a wood so light and strong that they seem to fly from the bow of their own accord. (seems like tricky arrows indeed)

- Starfire Shafts: The Starwood tree is anathema to all things unclean. No truer weapon can there be against corruption than arrows fashioned from its boughs.
    (don't seem to fit the trickster's theme).
    MiniaAr said:

Well Thanks.

I was considering a Branchwraith for the Loec theme army because they have spells of the lore of Shadows. But this is a tenuous relationship I agree.

I'm also trying to use the Glade Captain alonside the offices to define the armies I'll be using.
    Indeed, they have mutually exclusive skills that can be used in thematic army (as well as their mounts):

- GCaptain on Great Stag + Born to ride skill: Gives strider to all cav units in the army -> Perfect for Orion cav-heavy Army

- GCaptain on Great Eagle + Death from Abobe skill: Gives Fear to Hawk Riders -> Perfect for Sisters Army with heavy emphasis on the air force

- GCaptain unmounted + Touched by Loec skill: Gives vanguard and Stalk (I think) to wardances and bladesingers -> Perfect for the Loec themed army. I put Daith in charge of it. I also gave Daith the Dance of Loec basic skill and the GCaptain the upgraded Possessed by the trickster god. Both basic and upgraded versions stack.

- GCaptain with Wildwood veteran (Vanguard for Wildwood rangers unit) - unmouted or on a Elven Steed?
    -> This one I don't know what to do with it. What would be a Wildwood themed army, outside of rangers?
    Maybe combine wildwood rangers with cavalry but non-stag based (so no Wild riders/Great Stags nor Sisters of the Thorn to differentiate with Orion's army?

Also thank you for your suggestion to try and use the arrow types to help with the themes, I didn't think about it.
    For Loec, I would indeed say either Deepwood Scouts with Swiftshiver shards or Glade Guards with Hagbane tips (so poison, which seems to fit the trickster theme).

From the army book descriptions:
    - Hagbane tips: These arrows are tipped with the tainted shards know in Athel Loren as ‘the Callach s Claws’. They are as deadly as their namesake’s touch — even a scratch can prove fatal if the venom settles in the target’s blood.

- Swiftshiver shards: These arrows are crafted from a wood so light and strong that they seem to fly from the bow of their own accord. (seems like tricky arrows indeed)

- Starfire Shafts: The Starwood tree is anathema to all things unclean. No truer weapon can there be against corruption than arrows fashioned from its boughs.
    (don't seem to fit the trickster's theme).

I really respect your depth here! I like to be thematic with my "generic" lords as well, when I can. I will confess that I've only played the Sisters since the WE update, and their offices pretty much revolve around spellcasters of different lores, which I found neat. However, it was a Vortex campaign, and it didn't really last long enough for me to fully kit out each army the way that I'd like.

You have probably exceeded me in the case of thematic WE builds. You have good choices for your hero traits. I don't know much about Daith's background lore but I suppose giving him the Loec skill works well enough! In regards to your Wildwood questions, perhaps you could include a beasts caster? That lore fits well into any "wild" army. Going with that, the Great Eagle is probably the "wildest" mount option, though depending on your composition, you may want to avoid having a flyer. If you do non-stag cavalry, doesn't that leave you with their basic cav? I'm not disagreeing necessarily; I sometimes have T1 or T2 in a generic (even main) army sometimes, if it's the best thematic fit.
  • ManwesManwes Registered Users Posts: 3
    Nice post!
    I am thinking along these lines when planning a campaign, trying to build themed armies both for variety in battles and for the rpg-feel. I will definitivly look at your posts for other races when planning new campaigns!
    Manwes said:

Nice post!
    I am thinking along these lines when planning a campaign, trying to build themed armies both for variety in battles and for the rpg-feel. I will definitivly look at your posts for other races when planning new campaigns!

Thanks! I'll be rolling out the Tomb Kings post today or tomorrow.