Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Greenskin idea

unknowngamerxunknowngamerx Registered Users Posts: 8
In the current iteration of the game greenskins have way too unified factions, while in the lore they had been incredibly fractured. My idea is, that the greenskins should only be allowed to own their capital province and provinces around it directly. Once the greeskin would expand outside that area, each province they would take spawn a new semi-independent greenskin faction. That faction could conduct diplomacy on its own, but would have to join in their overlord's wars and pay tribute. These vassal factions could not expand, each their newly captured province should become another overlord's vassal.
Oh, and also greenskin settlements should routinely spawn savage orc hordes, all which would harrass settlements of nearby races.

Comments

• arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 1,092
    What ? Then Empire should only able to settle in it's border, Dwarf in their Mountains etc ?

That would take off a lot of the fun
  • unknowngamerxunknowngamerx Registered Users Posts: 8
    It would be a mechanic which would make greenskins more unique and lore appropriate. This would not take away anything from the game, just make the faction stronger because of more armies and vassal swarm, but also a bit more challenging in a way, because there should definately be warlord loyalty managment.
    And when it comes to empire and the rest of factions, there should be way more unique mechanics.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 653
    I just think Southlands Savage Orcs & Forest Goblins should be a wholly unique and separate faction from Old World/Dark Lands Orcs & Goblins.
  • unknowngamerxunknowngamerx Registered Users Posts: 8
    CA not gonna invest its'' resources into that. I would only ever bother suggesting features which can be implemented really easily.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,633

In the current iteration of the game greenskins have way too unified factions, while in the lore they had been incredibly fractured. My idea is, that the greenskins should only be allowed to own their capital province and provinces around it directly. Once the greeskin would expand outside that area, each province they would take spawn a new semi-independent greenskin faction. That faction could conduct diplomacy on its own, but would have to join in their overlord's wars and pay tribute. These vassal factions could not expand, each their newly captured province should become another overlord's vassal.
    Oh, and also greenskin settlements should routinely spawn savage orc hordes, all which would harrass settlements of nearby races.

So basically... you want GS to be a Nakai style horde faction.

There is one GS kingdom (technically two, more on that later). Gorfang Rotgut actually controls a regional area pretty solidly, and even has infrastructure there and organized raiding and the like. It's a legit GS kingdom. Gorfang is actually really badass.

The other GS kingdom is the Hobgoblin Khaganate. Numerous khanates that are bound by an over-khan.

So... there's arguments for both sides. The thing is though, a waaagh has the ability to greatly unite greenskins, and they do build stuff, btw. They do have settlments. They're not pure nomads (savage orcs are sometimes, though). The game represents an emerging massive waaagh!. So the grounds for normal gameplay are pretty strong.

Territorial control with spawned (rogue?) armies (corruption) that might attack anyone (or not) would probably make more sense - same for Skaven.
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I actually liked the old regional conquest system back in Warhammer 1.

I think that it worked well at always making sure there was something to fight.

And as a Greenskin fan, that was great.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,633

It made power projection really bad and would have failed miserably on the ME map, where spreading can already be problematic sometimes given how badly ocean travel needs a rework.

They would have needed to add some way to control those empty areas and derive some sort of income or other benefit.

The current climate system is pretty bad though. Temperate Island existing at all doesn't even make sense (it's just temperate, people! I blame British nationalism for that one :-P). The wildly varying climate acceptances for even members of the same race are also pretty silly. And then the affects are silly too -- as are a lot of the placements. Naggaroth itself is a very poorly designed map section whose climates do not properly match up. A lot more of that place should be savannah, for instance. Then we have all the tree filled parts of the map that are erroneously "grasslands" to make it easier for non-jungle dwelling factions to move through the jungle... which is silly. Etc.
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,395

Big disagree on that one. I remember playing Warhammer 1 for the first time and thinking my game was glitching when I couldn't occupy an Empire settlement. So in end I basically just fought Dwarfs exclusively until I bought Warhammer 2. Overall pretty dumb system in my opinion.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,548
    edited May 25
    I understand where you are coming from but I am not sure your solution makes sense.

The current diplomatic relations tend to make races more friendly to each other than outsiders which... is actually probably right for Warhammer because as much as GS or DE fight amongst themselves, they will unit against common enemies right quickly, at least for awhile.

I'd prefer CA got rid of confederation and instead introduced coalition mechanics from 3K which make more sense for Warhammer than confederating or huge military alliances that once formed never break unless the Chaos invasions are over and there is a diplomatic relations negative for all the remaining factions (which are often just a dozen or so even on the ME map other than rogue armies).

The only reason confederation exists is to get more than 1 LL into players fation but there are other ways CA could do that- for the destruction races having to defeat an LL in battle they will become a follower and an LL inside your fation while their former faction becomes a vassal or member of the coalition. Periodic dilemmas or victories sustain their loyalty.

For Order races, the LL could fulfill the targetted LL's quest battles to unlock that LL who bring their faction into the coalition or the player's faction survives the Chaos invasion could be a default trigger if Chaos invasions are turned on.

For neutrals, attaining a top #3 power ranking and destroying whichever faction the targetted LL dislikes most could bring a new LL and their faction as a member of the coalition.

Would work especally well if you could trade regions only between coalition partners to make sure shared provinces are aligned properly.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.