Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rate three kingdoms

shattishatti Registered Users Posts: 753
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
I’m lazy to write a review and honestly who gives a **** about what i think about the game, lol !
Now, i invented a new system just for u guys,
It’s called a “1 to 10 scale” rating system
U basically choose a number, & the higher the number is, the more u love the game.
If u feel angry or ****, u can choose low number.
Very creative i know !

Edit: don’t be shy to share ur rating if it’s low
Everyone is welcome, its not a white-knighting thread
____________________________Total War: Three Kingdoms mods______________________________
-Records Mod: Classic Total War https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229620309
-Court Actions & Politics https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2525984504
-Big Dong https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585802057&searchtext=

Comments

• shattishatti Registered Users Posts: 753
    I give vanilla three kingdoms 6 out of 10
    Modded three kingdoms a 9 out of 10

Maybe i will explain in the future why !!
    ____________________________Total War: Three Kingdoms mods______________________________
    -Records Mod: Classic Total War https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229620309
    -Court Actions & Politics https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2525984504
    -Big Dong https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585802057&searchtext=

• Rewan#2358Rewan#2358 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,830
    edited May 2021
    Honestly 8/10.

Game remains solid, it's has variety of playstyles (unfortunately in some cases it doesn't go far enough imho) and is still a very very good total war game.

However it has issues, some were fixed, some weren't. Game could have been a 11/10 if it had went the distance (aka Chibi, Nothern Expansion, 214 and 229) and had all of the bugfixes it needed but nevertheless I think it's still a good game and I'm sure I'll enjoy playing it for the years to come.

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
    Rewan said:

Honestly 8/10.

Game remains solid, it's has variety of playstyles (unfortunately in some cases it doesn't go far enough imho) and is still a very very good total war game.

However it has issues, some were fixed, some weren't. Game could have been a 11/10 if it had went the distance (aka Chibi, Nothern Expansion, 214 and 229) but nevertheless I think it's still a good game and I'm sure I'll enjoy playing it for the years to come.

I agree, Me too i think it’s an excellent game, but for my taste i can’t play it without changing stuff, thats why i gave vanilla 6 out of 10
    But modded counts and i give i a solid 9 out of 10

• E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173
    For me, 9/10. I really enjoyed playing the game and honestly have experienced very few bugs. The only thing keeping it from 10/10 is that there are still quite a few important characters I always envisioned as unique, but now won't ever be in the current game, and that some of mechanics could be ironed out a bit more. Still, a great game for a person coming from a Three Kingdoms background rather than a Total War background.
  • Vin362#6699Vin362#6699 Registered Users Posts: 1,502
    edited May 2021
    In my thread I gave my opinion that it failed as a Three Kingdoms game for not having a single Three Kingdoms era start date (214-223 range not the whole 223-264 war), I would rate the game as 6.5 or 7 out of 10 (minor bugs stop it from being an 8 or low 9 out of 10) because something can fail to met a premise at some points but still be fun thanks to gameplay, an example I use is Metal Gear Solid 5 I thought the story was bad but its gameplay kept me engaged and I feel the same about Three Kingdoms.
    Post edited by Vin362#6699 on
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
  • EmeraldThanatos#7267EmeraldThanatos#7267 Registered Users Posts: 2,927
    It's 100% still my favorite total war. However it is flawed, mostly due to the fact that the way the game was designed doesn't really accommodate for the way the Three Kingdoms era worked. I'm hoping that the new 3k game builds a system from the ground up that does work for this time period.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Attila
    3. Warhammer (1, 2 & 3)
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Shogun 2
    6. Thrones
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire

• ShevaTsarShevaTsar Registered Users Posts: 642
    You know, back when i was in school i used to think that my teachers who gave me bad rates because of "off-topic" were pretty harsh. But now that i've grown up a bit (i guess....and hope) i realize that they were actually maybe not that harsh, they had maybe a great vision of what life was.
    It is even more important when you get into marketing domain, when things like false marketing exist.

Aside from the numerous bugs, subpar mechanics, this game is overall a huge off topic. It should have been called "Rise of the Warlords". Hence why it can't reasonably have a good rating, at least not from my part.
    Welcome to Cathay - the very ancient, super-duper, hyper, fantastic, incredible, majestic, wonderful, sexy, mighty empire, the greatest of all livings.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,306
    I would have given it 7/10 before Fates Divided. I think it's 8/10 as it currently stands. If they had done two more major updates ala Fates Divided it would easily be a 9/10.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,738
    8\10 sounds solid to me, 9\10 with mods.

It's definitely been my favourite TW to date.
  • Imperator_JoJoImperator_JoJo Registered Users Posts: 10
    7/10 at best.

I love the setting so i'm probably pretty biased here. I had a few hundred hours of enjoyment out of it. Main good things I can say about it is that the inclusion of missions and events that give you choices was really interesting, the characters were mostly done out of passion with clear influences from some of the most popular Three Kingdoms shows, the diplomacy is the best in the series, the art style and music are amazing, and the sheer amount of options you have is really nice.

The bad is pretty hefty on its own though with poor balance, poorly thought out mechanics, a huge amount of characters that received no attention, an unjustifiable lack of variety, and more. The game just feels unfinished. Even if they balanced it well, which would be surprising and welcome, you still have the fact that all the factions are virtually the same. Faction variety goes this far in three kingdoms: You have characters with different art but the same abilities with a token few outliers. You have the same unit roster with a few factions having a few unique units. You have the same buildings with one faction exclusive building. You have a unique mechanic that in all reality is probably going to take your campaign, that was already doomed to be an unbalanced mess, and make it even worse. This is pretty sad considering the unit roster just resembles the Han Imperial army and the reality of this period is that the units used by people were heavily dependent on region and did not just mirror the Han army exactly. It's fine to have overlap militia wise but the more 'professional' units all being the exact same thing is just ridiculous. The lack of things total war traditionally had to provide at least a little diversity to the units like blacksmiths to upgrade the unit's armour and weapons, areas that could improve their morale or experience, etc are not available.

Ultimately, it's a game that is 7 parts done and 3 parts never going to be done and naturally i'm pretty **** about it.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    Vanilla - 6/10 -> Too many missing uniques, Liu Chong owns Hulao Gate, Cao Cao starts in Chen, etc.

MOH - 3/10 -> Too buggy to even be playable.

AWB - 8/10 -> Lu Bu VS Cao Cao starts in Chen and it's quite buggy, but hey free bandit rework and good features.

Furious Wilds - 1/10 -> No southern expedition starting date, I didn't ask for Nan Man in 190.

Fate Divided - 4/10 -> Cao Cao is already Duke of Wei without owning Wei, barely any narrative events, not a "chapter" pack.

8p - negative 10/10 -> Not even three kingdoms, yeah no Chibi or 220 but include a DLC outside of the three kingdoms lol.

• CrimsomriderCrimsomrider Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 97
    For me the game was phenomenal, a 9/10 I'd say. Definitely was my favorite TW game.

The support for it however was abysmal and embarrassing. Lack of proper patches, lack of quality control and lack of communication on CA's part, disgusting what they did to Three Kingdoms.
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 644
    the game 8/10
    Ca decisions and communication -10/10
  • Sve93Sve93 Registered Users Posts: 3
    8/10?

And for me it's mostly all the bugs introduced with DLC holding it back. It's been my favourite and most played total war game since it launched. Was excited for the next DLC too.

For some reason I expected all the bugs to be patched out eventually so it would be the polished gem it could have been, but since it got buggier and buggier I don't know where I got that idea now that I think about it :neutral:
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 919
    Ehhhhh

Vanilla 4/10
    Modded 6/10
    Spite vote 1/10

Units being locked behind certain retinue generals , cavalry just straight up being broken and over powered , infantrys only purpose being a meat shield , poor a.i (particularly in Records mode, a.i just doesn't use it's 3 generals giving you a absurd advantage in every battle)

Such a great foundation at release, never even came close to reaching it's full potential. Hope that a modder out there can really give us something great

• Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    7.5/10. It's a good game but it has very little replayability.

Ehhhhh

Vanilla 4/10
    Modded 6/10
    Spite vote 1/10

Units being locked behind certain retinue generals , cavalry just straight up being broken and over powered , infantrys only purpose being a meat shield , poor a.i (particularly in Records mode, a.i just doesn't use it's 3 generals giving you a absurd advantage in every battle)

Such a great foundation at release, never even came close to reaching it's full potential. Hope that a modder out there can really give us something great

try this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229620309

• ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 919
    shatti said:

Ehhhhh

Vanilla 4/10
    Modded 6/10
    Spite vote 1/10

try this

Will check it out this weekend, thanks homie
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,306
    I like Misaka's idea to rate each chapter pack.

When I think about it, I hardly ever play the 190 scenario. i probably would give that a 7/10. As enjoyable as it is in terms of factions balanced starting small and having more Yellow Turban remnant presence, it has major problems. The nonsense around Dong Zhuo dying and Dong Min taking over, honestly it's really bad considering the game sets up Dong Zhuo as a big threat. To go completely ahistorical in the event chain is really weird. I also don't like how unique characters don't join their respective factions for Ai or often even spawn at all. I also just find the first twenty turns tedious, fighting nobodies until you get to the big factions.

AWB is definitely the best chapter pack and I usually play on it, hence the 8/10. The starting turns challenges are actually engaging, setting you against unique lords, generals, etc. I find it much more immersive having the generals start in the correct forces. The pack isn't perfect but actually has events themed around Lu Bu and Sun Ce. I think it should be the benchmark for 3K 2 if they are serious about focusing on the novel.

I enjoyed Fates Divided but it's worth a 6/10 max. I worried starting big would be boring but I think they balanced the starting armies to make the first few battles interesting. Moreover, throwing you into big battles in the opening turns actually worked surprisingly really well. It's everything else that lets the pack down and I thought this wouldn't be a problem after AWB. The lack of narrative events, the fact it just kind of ends when you beat Cao Cao or Yuan Shao. It feels completely set around Guandu, but has no events and when you beat your rival it just kind of goes on awkwardly as if it should have ended already.

MoH is just poor. I think it's fun to play the Yellow Turbans but the pack is so buggy it's not worth putting up with. The emergent factions like Kong Rong and Yuan Shao just die immediately, imagine if that happened to the Mongols or Timurids in Medieval 2. I thought fervour was annoying to deal with. The Empire is badly balanced (both the faction and the mechanic). It's fun to play as Zhang Jue and wreck havoc but everything else is a chore. I tried a Dong Zhuo campaign but most of the campaign is tedious force marching to the Yellow Turbans. I would give 4/10.

Eight Princes isn't worth discussing.

And while I really like playing the Nanman, I'd only give it FW a 7/10 because of how annoying the Nanman are to fight. Never mind the weirdness of their presence in 190 AD and not being in a later chapter pack, I wish they weren't such a minefield you never want to go near in the south.
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 4,062
    5 at best out of 10.

It's not that I thought the game was garbage or anything, but I just feel that as much as 3K added or brought to the TW games, they really screwed up in a number of key ways.

My biggest gripe with 3K was the fact the way they handled your armies and characters, as well as that stupid limitation of what units you could recruit.

It should've been so freaking simple.

You can have up to 3 character heroes and 20 units in a regular army.

Boom! Simple!

But NOOOOO, we had to get it to where each character could only have 6 freaking units and the units were all limited by what type of character one of the heroes were.

That really bothered me because while I did expect some faction specific units and all, this system completely limited just what you could do with forming your armies.

And that's what really killed the game for me.

Because the battles are the most important part of the TW games to not just me, but probably the majority of the TW fanbase.

And I'll say that because no one was originally drawn to the TW games by promises of empire management.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,074
    edited May 2021
    5/10.

I liked the changes to diplomacy, I liked the tech tree and government system. I liked the chinese culture and the hero-like importance of the characters (similar to Warhammer)...But I got really really bored early on with the game and haven't played it all that much. Its the battles, the battles are just so stale. Without looking at the opponent's army, I know how its going to go.

I generally only like playing the Yellow Turbans and Nanman really. Sometimes the Bandits. Yellow Turbans are fun!

Total War Three Kingdoms just feels good in every way BUT the Battles.

• UnconcernedUnconcerned Registered Users Posts: 111
    4/10

I originally gave it an 8/10 at release, but that was a mistake. Blunder, after blunder, after fantasy BS in an "historical" title really killed this game for me.
  • Avenger237Avenger237 Registered Users Posts: 318
    Base game 8/10, post DLCs 5 or 6/10 simply because the lack of polish and bugs introduced really dampened the experience.
  • RyanLuiRyanLui Registered Users Posts: 257
    When is first game out 8/10. Eventually when you find out its missing a huge amount of story, lack characters, bug events, diplomatic problems, no support, 2/10. Probably will never play this game again or any total war game for that matter.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097
    How do you rate a game that's incomplete?
  • Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 940
    shatti said:

Ehhhhh

Vanilla 4/10
    Modded 6/10
    Spite vote 1/10

try this

I will try
  • LESAMA#5456LESAMA#5456 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,187
    9/10. Really good game!
  • EfixEfix Registered Users Posts: 291

Ehhhhh

Vanilla 4/10
    Modded 6/10
    Spite vote 1/10

Same here 4/10 the retinue lock units is my least favorite mechanic of all time.
  • TheTrue_LordAndyTheTrue_LordAndy Registered Users Posts: 985
    edited June 2021
    8.5/10

Great game and best total war so far. Too bad, it had potential to be a 10/10 if it was not abandoned.