Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Moving on from Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - Dev Update + Patch 1.7.1 Out

Comments

• VonRosenhartVonRosenhart Registered Users Posts: 8
    CA, your games have a lot of potential but you never exploit them, in fact, on many occasions it is sad to see how little detail they have in some aspects. Your multi-development policy is useless, make a complete game once and for all!
  • VonRosenhartVonRosenhart Registered Users Posts: 8
    Seriously, I don't get it CA, developers usually focus on a single game, this is how AAA or AA are made. Why are you so mediocre and you prefer quantity to quality? You remove the naval battles, you remove the combat animations and you make the only ones jump ridiculous while they fight ... do you really see that you do it also enough to do more than two games at the same time? Thrones OF Brittania was a disaster, Three Kingdowns was mediocre, Troy is a disaster, the Rome remastering is a disaster and useless.
    Wake up CA !!!!
  • BombogorBombogor TurkeyRegistered Users Posts: 33
    And now Chinese players are ditching the game and pre-orders of WH3.

Reminds me of Disney where despite all the China pandering, the Chinese still end up ditching them.

• FerestorFerestor Registered Users Posts: 1,313
    This is one of the worst decision ever...I liked 3K and the potential, but this feels like a punch in the gut.

Also does this mean that the next histrorical title will also be in the 3K timeline? I don't know how that could go well with the players. I don't think I will buy this game. So dissapointed in you...
  • AviriatusAviriatus Member Registered Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2021
    CA, I have enjoyed TW games since your first Shogun. The franchise has grown with every title, to the extent that in my case, gaming became 95% Total War.
    With the outcome of Warhammer, I followed CA proposal and play Warhammer I and II, to find initially a lot of the previous TW games, until I realized that Warhammer was not any more about managing your faction and leading your army in an interesting historical recreation, but to manage magic and confronting monsters that will end up the last survivors in the battlefield, waiting which monster will run out last of health to become the winner of the battle. You can build the best graphics and put the most attractive characters and units, but at the end Total War gameplay is not there anymore.
    I do not know if the Warhammer lore fans can enjoy this setting, but those players coming from Shogun, Rome, Medieval, Empire TWs, can feel really frustrated.
    There are a lot of RPGs, First Persons Simulations, Fantasy games. They offer something else than what we could find in TW.
    Three Kingdoms has shown the maturity of the historical genre design, giving historical fans a niche to play the TW historical saga next to the huge effort and time CA has dedicated to Fantasy games with Warhammer.
    You were offering in the past a roadmap of your historical game design, and put a huge effort to overcome difficult moments like the start of Rome2. But as many feared, CA’s decision to bring in parallel to historical titles the Warhammer Fantasy games stream may kill altogether the TW genre we knew.
    Announcing the way it has been done discontinuing TW3K in its current state, with all the opportunities to round up the best historical game to date (a lot has been expressed already at this thread) is the worst news the TW historical fan base has heard since the start of the franchise.
    Post edited by Aviriatus on
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 919
    Why do people keep suggesting this is going to be a trilogy? Or that they are going to connect....

Grace literally said that isn't the case lol
  • ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 1,151
    edited May 2021

Not very clever, ain't gonna lie:

Jesus. This is unbelievable. It’s like propaganda poster in a totalitarian country. They are learning, I have to give it to them...
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173
    edited May 2021
    Bombogor said:

Reminds me of Disney where despite all the China pandering, the Chinese still end up ditching them.

Chinese pandering? Making a game about an important historical and cultural period for China and East Asia as a whole, with a certain degree of popularity in the West as well is pandering?
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 11,642
    edited May 2021
    E_L_2 said:

Bombogor said:

Chinese pandering? Making a game about an important historical and cultural period for China and East Asia as a whole, with a certain degree of popularity in the West as well is pandering?
    Pandering is not the best way to put it.

I don't think Three Kingdom's really fit Total War formula super well. It was popular enough for launch; but theres just no variety in it. Compare Three Kingdom's to Rome 2. So many different factions from all sorts of different groups like Romans to Greeks to Celts to Brits to Carthage to Parthia to Scythians etc etc. Each with very big variety among each.

We got the Han factions, the Bandits and the Yellow Turbans....then eventually the Nanman. We could have had the Northern Barbarians and Korea. If they had come out sooner the complaints about the poor faction variety and same-y factions wouldn't have scared a lot of players away, combined with the lacklustre DLCs.

They should have went deeper into unique mechanics for each character, unique armies as much as can and really flesh things out that way. That's what brings greater player retention...any TW without that doesn't last long (look at Thrones of Britannia, Troy, etc)

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,818
    Shogun 2 was an extremely popular game with even less unit variety. Yes definitely THAT was the problem.

If anything the lack of Records abilities and the lack of Records MP Ranked ladder (in favour of a pure Romance MP Ranked ladder when Romance can be unbalanced as hell) was a pretty big problem.

The non-existence of the MP scene because of this (as they stayed on the R2 MP because of that, or switched to WH2) was a gigantic pain because that meant CA couldn't get decent quality feedback about units imho.

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,320
    After a day to ruminate and read what others are saying, I think there is a consensus among many that this is a very bad decision (based on the information we have now).

Many of us have invested not just money, but hours of play time, into a game we actually love and looked forward to supporting for a long time. Now we are being told that, in order to continue that experience, we have to buy a new game (a year + from now) that will have no ties to the first.

Surely Creative Assembly can see how that would be off putting to their customers. It feels, at best, arbitrary and, at worst, like they are looking for an excuse to try and sell us a new full price game.

I know it is probably too late, but I would much rather see them continue to invest in the game we have now - or move to another historic project altogether - than try to resell us a game we have already bought.
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 399

Why do people keep suggesting this is going to be a trilogy? Or that they are going to connect....

CA also said we'd be seeing another expansion pack. Pretty sure there is precedent to take whatever CA says with a grain of salt.
  • theyellowbootstheyellowboots Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2021
    It's a disgrace that they are not even fixing the bugs or balancing the game. MoH is still a disaster.

With John Cena apologizing to China after a blunder, I wonder if how the backlash against this decision will be?
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 919
    Qin_Feng said:

CA also said we'd be seeing another expansion pack. Pretty sure there is precedent to take whatever CA says with a grain of salt.
    Point well made
  • MechaRajinMechaRajin Registered Users Posts: 4
    Why CA ? Why you end this game now ? I just want 1 more dlc about Red Cliff ! That DLC will setup event for 3k :(.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    edited May 2021
    Btw. CA breaking the news:

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    edited May 2021
    Rewan said:

Shogun 2 was an extremely popular game with even less unit variety. Yes definitely THAT was the problem.

If anything the lack of Records abilities and the lack of Records MP Ranked ladder (in favour of a pure Romance MP Ranked ladder when Romance can be unbalanced as hell) was a pretty big problem.

The non-existence of the MP scene because of this (as they stayed on the R2 MP because of that, or switched to WH2) was a gigantic pain because that meant CA couldn't get decent quality feedback about units imho.

Shogun 2 also had a single concise grand campaign without a lot of chapter points that cut up content.

It's a disgrace that they are not even fixing the bugs or balancing the game. MoH is still a disaster.

With John Cena apologizing to China after a blunder, I wonder if how the backlash against this decision will be?

John Cena apologising was pretty cringe.

Amonkhet said:

Rewan said:

Shogun 2 also had a single concise grand campaign without a lot of chapter points that cut up content.

Shogun 2 also wasn't based on a romanticisized version of the Sengoku Jidai with a larger character focus. The chapter packs were essentially giving new starting dates, because a normal campaign is unlikely to go historical for more than 5 turns, so it can easily be that Sun Ce and Sun Quan die early and some no name becomes the heir to Sun Ce.

The main issue with the chapters is, that there isn't really a "flowing into one another", so that, if Sun Jian died and Sun Ce took over, he'd get his mechanics from the times when he starts.

When Oda Nobunaga comes to power in Shogun II, it's neat but not as major as the shift in campaign from Sun Jian to Sun Ce in the different starting date. When he dies it's sad, but also usually not gamechanging.

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'

Amonkhet said:

Rewan said:

Shogun 2 also wasn't based on a romanticisized version of the Sengoku Jidai with a larger character focus. The chapter packs were essentially giving new starting dates, because a normal campaign is unlikely to go historical for more than 5 turns, so it can easily be that Sun Ce and Sun Quan die early and some no name becomes the heir to Sun Ce.

The main issue with the chapters is, that there isn't really a "flowing into one another", so that, if Sun Jian died and Sun Ce took over, he'd get his mechanics from the times when he starts.

When Oda Nobunaga comes to power in Shogun II, it's neat but not as major as the shift in campaign from Sun Jian to Sun Ce in the different starting date. When he dies it's sad, but also usually not gamechanging.
    Naturally chapters is the right way to do it; but the way it was implemented in game was poor. Randomly picked for dlc. It should have been added sequentially each chapter in order working upwards.

That sudden jump with Eight Princes killed the momentum.

• AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,793
    It was too successful for it's own good, so the CA overlords decided to turn it into a series to try to milk more out of it.
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
    if we want CA to be responsible for 3k, it's best not to bomb reviews, just don't buy their games, because if we keep bomb reviews on Steam they will ask Steam to remove them, and New players won't be aware of CA's lies. With me i will not buy any game of CA from now !
  • EighthCitizenEighthCitizen Registered Users Posts: 86
    Hello all,
    Like many of you I'm very upset with CA's decision to pull all patch support especially considering 1.7.1 left the game with many outstanding issues. I've made a petition that I hope you will all sign to help demonstrate some of our displeasure and a potential alternative.

https://www.change.org/p/sega-creative-assembly-should-continue-some-limited-patch-support-for-total-war-three-kingdoms?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_29127235_en-US:4&recruiter=1207581884&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

I know the reality of this succeeding is basically zero, but you lose nothing by signing so please read, sign, and share. Thank you.

Hello all,
    Like many of you I'm very upset with CA's decision to pull all patch support especially considering 1.7.1 left the game with many outstanding issues. I've made a petition that I hope you will all sign to help demonstrate some of our displeasure and a potential alternative.

https://www.change.org/p/sega-creative-assembly-should-continue-some-limited-patch-support-for-total-war-three-kingdoms?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_29127235_en-US:4&recruiter=1207581884&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

I know the reality of this succeeding is basically zero, but you lose nothing by signing so please read, sign, and share. Thank you.

Down server
  • Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 254
    edited May 2021
    The most annoying part for me is that there are so many bugs left that will probably never be solved. For me it's still the best title in the entire franchise but it became obvious over the life cycle that they reached the limits of the current engine (like the gate fortresses which can be easily exploited in so many ways and don't bloc anything) and made some design decisions which were really bad in the long run in my opionion. Like creating this system of RPG like features with armours and stuff and than mix it with Uniques that have a fixed appearence. The CK2/3 road with cloathing would have been much better in my opinion. Also in terms of Character DNA which get's rid of generics and created unique Characters...

But the maximum annoying thing: They didn't fix the dark battles situation. No matter if i play on a sunny day in summer, the battlefield looks like there was an vulcano outbreak. You see literaly nothing... This is known for ages and exists over half a year now...
  • joproulx99joproulx99 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,669
    Dear historical fans, I mean...its not the first time...

- Sold you Empire
    - Resold it to you as Napoleon

- Sold you Shogun 2
    - Resold it to you as FoTS

- Sold you Rome 2
    - Resold it to you as Attila
    - Resold it to you as Saga ToB (at least this one is more different)

Sold you 3k
    Resell it to you as 3k: something something for real.

And you are surprised? I mean most likely it is just too big a project to make the new campaign, and would have been a DLC that cost too much, so they do like they always did, build on what they have done and make the 3k you always wanted, it might be a lot better then the actually one, since it was the warm up game that might lead to what you guys dream of.

I could be wrong but, I feel its what they plan, again CA's biggest problem is communication, they always keep things so secret with half baked infos that say too little and leave their fans in a bad mood for no reasons...
    "Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,818
    edited May 2021
    FotS was sold as an expansion and not as a full priced game. It was 29.99 on Preorder.

Which is the very reason I say and will keep saying : if CA releases 3K2 as a full priced game (60€) with a 50% discount for 3K owners I'll be buying it. If not, they can sock it.

EDIT : The same kinda goes for Attila (which I got on preorder for like 40 which is pricier but still less than Rome 2 55€ on preorder) & Thrones (which I didn't buy because 0 interest but I believe it also released cheaper than Rome 2 and Attila). I'm not sure about Napoleon and Empire

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • theyellowbootstheyellowboots Registered Users Posts: 39
    I think these are just mistakes after mistakes by CA and there were a lot of disastrous planning from the start.

They wanted to do 8 Princes and maybe followed by Han Wudi's campaign against the Huns.
    8 Princes DLC was badly received and they made the panic decision to scrap all other DLCs like 8P and go back to the main campaign.

They released MoH but instead of doing something like Caesar in Gaul in which they could separate MoH from the main campaign, they integrated it into the main campaign and caused more bugs and code mess.

With all the bugs and code mess, they might have intention to do Chibi to earn more money, but they were reminded that the game was not meant to handle naval battles, so it would be pointless to do Chibi.

Despite these technical issues that I totally understand why they want to abandon the base game, they should at least fix the bugs. I don't know how hard it is to start another team just to fix the bugs. They never anticipated the backlash would be that severe. I guess because the backlash towards abandoning ETW and R2TW was not that vocal, they thought that they could get away with it, which is why I am supporting this movement against them.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097

Despite these technical issues that I totally understand why they want to abandon the base game, they should at least fix the bugs. I don't know how hard it is to start another team just to fix the bugs. They never anticipated the backlash would be that severe. I guess because the backlash towards abandoning ETW and R2TW was not that vocal, they thought that they could get away with it, which is why I am supporting this movement against them.

Well your guess is as good as mine. I think they were irresponsible. I believe their claims of commitment to fix the issues was a lie and they threw in the towel at the first instance of difficulty without give a crap about the fans.

Their arrogant, tone deaf announcement video is evidence of that.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,178

I think these are just mistakes after mistakes by CA and there were a lot of disastrous planning from the start.

They wanted to do 8 Princes and maybe followed by Han Wudi's campaign against the Huns.
    8 Princes DLC was badly received and they made the panic decision to scrap all other DLCs like 8P and go back to the main campaign.

They released MoH but instead of doing something like Caesar in Gaul in which they could separate MoH from the main campaign, they integrated it into the main campaign and caused more bugs and code mess.

With all the bugs and code mess, they might have intention to do Chibi to earn more money, but they were reminded that the game was not meant to handle naval battles, so it would be pointless to do Chibi.

Bugs, northern expansion pack and 3k start date!