Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Half of the regular TW3K player base are now publicly up in arms

kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Based on approximating current 24 hour peak of 10,890 players and the 5,286 negative reviews since 27th May on Steam.

Cheers
Post edited by kaihoo on

Comments

• jgon2098jgon2098 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Give'm the love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonighhhhhhhhhhhhhht
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097
    edited June 2021
    Amonkhet said:

Maybe this will make them not do TW3KT...that budget can then be re-distributed.

Perhaps it is for the better. Only goes to show that CA were never ready to take on the Three Kingdoms and the expectations of their fans after all. They were never truly ready to commit to something as culturally significant and important as the Three Kingdoms. Even if they did the next one, I'd have grave doubts that it will be much better than the current game.

Maybe CA should just stick to what they know like Western history or Western fantasy titles.
  • him_15him_15 Registered Users Posts: 151
    That's impressive.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 1,004
    And I imagine that number will only grow
  • Pontius_the_one-eyedPontius_the_one-eyed Member Registered Users Posts: 46
    I don't think that it is the lack of commitment to a specific era that has angered many players. I believe the promises they made (northern expansion etc), the many bugs, that they made a game called three kingdoms, yet there is no starting date with the said kingdoms, that they announced a new team that will work only on a NEW three kingdoms game, when they could support the game that already exists. These and the lack of communication with the community is what make us angered with CA.

And what s****s the most is that the game had a lot of potential.
  • ArminageShikobaArminageShikoba Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 237
    Amonkhet said:

Maybe this will make them not do TW3KT...that budget can then be re-distributed.

I really hope not, I want them to just reverse the decision and keep working on 3K, or at least give us something that will show that this new game is actually a step up. Not just say, "We're stopping the game to make a second 3K game, all those bugs that are in the game, you'll have to suck it up and live with it, and those Northern Kingdoms we told you about. Nah not coming."

And the fact that game 2 doesn't even tie in with game one is just a kick in the teeth. I want to play a campaign, where I can defeat the Yellow turbans, unite many commandries, become one of the three kingdoms and continue fighting and being introduced to new characters throughout the 80years the actual three kingdoms took place, but no, we're just stuck with one game that still is lacking in areas, and a second game that doesn't link whatso ever with the first game and no information about it.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    that actually shows how small was the playerbase to begin with...
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    kaihoo said:

Amonkhet said:

Perhaps it is for the better. Only goes to show that CA were never ready to take on the Three Kingdoms and the expectations of their fans after all. They were never truly ready to commit to something as culturally significant and important as the Three Kingdoms. Even if they did the next one, I'd have grave doubts that it will be much better than the current game.

Maybe CA should just stick to what they know like Western history or Western fantasy titles.
    It's not like their very first game was about Japan, indeed...
  • E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173

Amonkhet said:

I really hope not, I want them to just reverse the decision and keep working on 3K, or at least give us something that will show that this new game is actually a step up. Not just say, "We're stopping the game to make a second 3K game, all those bugs that are in the game, you'll have to suck it up and live with it, and those Northern Kingdoms we told you about. Nah not coming."

And the fact that game 2 doesn't even tie in with game one is just a kick in the teeth. I want to play a campaign, where I can defeat the Yellow turbans, unite many commandries, become one of the three kingdoms and continue fighting and being introduced to new characters throughout the 80years the actual three kingdoms took place, but no, we're just stuck with one game that still is lacking in areas, and a second game that doesn't link whatso ever with the first game and no information about it.
    There is the possibility that the second game is a complete do-over, from the top down. It doesn't necessarily pick up where the first game left off.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    E_L_2 said:

Amonkhet said:

There is the possibility that the second game is a complete do-over, from the top down. It doesn't necessarily pick up where the first game left off.
    Which wouldn't be a good idea anyway because Three Visits/Chibi is a pretty dang horrible place to enter the Three Kingdoms story from.
  • E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173

E_L_2 said:

Amonkhet said:

Which wouldn't be a good idea anyway because Three Visits/Chibi is a pretty dang horrible place to enter the Three Kingdoms story from.
    I agree. It would also bring up the argument that the game should have been a DLC all along. Which is why I'm inclined to think that "3K II" will be a complete do-over, perhaps even including multiple start dates from launch (I still believe you can't discount the progression of the 3K narrative through start dates, but they may not make the best DLCs). Like, it could restructure the game in all time frames: 182, 190, 194, etc.
  • EighthCitizenEighthCitizen Registered Users Posts: 86
    I just hope they actually address the players. I have a feeling they're just going to stay quite and dive fully into Warhammer stuff tomorrow. Hope not, but that's probably what's going to happen.
  • AlduineeAlduinee Registered Users Posts: 193
    Xenos7777 said:

that actually shows how small was the playerbase to begin with...

not really, there is an average of 8-9k players and steam and we know that 1) half of 3K players plays in mandarin and 2) in China they don't use steam. So the actual Three Kingdoms playerbase should be ~15-16k players wich is pretty good for a niche game but also for a TW game overall.

I mean if CA is spending ressources on a second Three Kingdoms game it's because they know they have a playerbase. They are greedy, not idiots.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097
    Xenos7777 said:

But it was a game that targeted the Western market instead of the Japanese market no?
  • EighthCitizenEighthCitizen Registered Users Posts: 86
    kaihoo said:

Xenos7777 said:

But it was a game that targeted the Western market instead of the Japanese market no?
    very much so. Also in general console games dominate the Japanese market. Not as much PC (though of course there is some).
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    Amonkhet said:

They can make whatever they want as a company, and it's their problem if their 3k2 doesn't sell.

• him_15him_15 Registered Users Posts: 151
    Enraging the Chinese fans base is the dumbest decision a company could make. Especially if they want to make money out of it.
  • Lethaface#2060Lethaface#2060 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 125
    him_15 said:

Enraging the Chinese fans base is the dumbest decision a company could make. Especially if they want to make money out of it.

What is this mention of the Chinese fan base all the time? Like only Chinese people care about 3K? Everyone enjoying 3K and or expecting more content and patches will be disappointed.

If people decide to become enraged because of video games, well that's on them.
    Or are you saying Chinese fans are easy to enrage? Also not buying that ;-)

Lethaface said:

What is this mention of the Chinese fan base all the time? Like only Chinese people care about 3K? Everyone enjoying 3K and or expecting more content and patches will be disappointed.

• Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,306
    The game was made with the explicit purpose of tapping into the Chinese market.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,143
    Lethaface said:

him_15 said:

If people decide to become enraged because of video games, well that's on them.
    Or are you saying Chinese fans are easy to enrage? Also not buying that ;-)

They expect special treatment.

Lethaface said:

You don't answer my question. I'm not discounting that there are many Chinese players, but why would only they be angry?
    Misaka's point isn't that Chinese players have a special right to be angry. His point is that considering CA created Total War 3K to tap into the Chinese market, it's pretty dumb to annoy them all by cancelling this game.
    Lethaface said:

You don't answer my question. I'm not discounting that there are many Chinese players, but why would only they be angry?

Did I ever say that other players who aren't Chinese are not angry?

Misaka's point isn't that Chinese players have a special right to be angry. His point is that considering CA created Total War 3K to tap into the Chinese market, it's pretty dumb to annoy them all by cancelling this game.

Yeah we got that (or at least assumed that was what he's trying to argue), but that's still a line of thought which is pretty dumb to believe.

* Perhaps CA created Totalw War 3K partly to tap into the Chinese market, but not ONLY for the Chinese market. In the end a customer is a customer, I don't think it matters for them to upset a customer from country X or country Y. Of course numbers matter, they'd like to upset as few customers as possible.
    * But, the most important part which nobody answered: why would Chinese people care more about the stop of support compared to other players?!
    * Nobody has ever proven that ALL Chinese players are annoyed by the move to 3K2 (it's not a cancellation of a game, it's the stop of further development post launch and post DLCs)
    * Are Chinese players a 'single group' with a single mind? Or do they make decisions for themselves as individuals? I think the latter.

Anyone saying that they speak for all Chinese players, will only give that person the air of trying to make ones position extra important by claiming that there's an entire country of players (with a lot of players) that have the same opinion. Which is an admission of weakness.

Hence I don't think it's relevant to mention the 'Chinese players' all the time.

Lethaface said:

Did I ever say that other players who aren't Chinese are not angry?
    So why are you mentioning the 'Chinese players' all the time. And no you didn't mention anything about other players in a number of your posts.
    Lethaface said:

Yeah we got that (or at least assumed that was what he's trying to argue), but that's still a line of thought which is pretty dumb to believe.

* Perhaps CA created Totalw War 3K partly to tap into the Chinese market, but not ONLY for the Chinese market. In the end a customer is a customer, I don't think it matters for them to upset a customer from country X or country Y. Of course numbers matter, they'd like to upset as few customers as possible.
    * But, the most important part which nobody answered: why would Chinese people care more about the stop of support compared to other players?!
    * Nobody has ever proven that ALL Chinese players are annoyed by the move to 3K2 (it's not a cancellation of a game, it's the stop of further development post launch and post DLCs)
    * Are Chinese players a 'single group' with a single mind? Or do they make decisions for themselves as individuals? I think the latter.

Anyone saying that they speak for all Chinese players, will only give that person the air of trying to make ones position extra important by claiming that there's an entire country of players (with a lot of players) that have the same opinion. Which is an admission of weakness.

Hence I don't think it's relevant to mention the 'Chinese players' all the time.
    Well here's the point. While I'm annoyed that Total War 3K has been cancelled as a western RoTK fan for over twenty years, I'm not a new target audience. I've been playing Total War since Medieval 2. Total War 3K was made with a heavy emphasis on tapping into the new Chinese market. They succeeded in doing so with the initial release and then fumbled on holding onto it. It's an absolute disaster for CA to annoy and lose a huge new market. The new Chinese fans don't have the same brand loyalty to Total War as we veteran fans do.

And I've always had the impression that Misaka doesn't speak for all Chinese fans but more that he is a general representation of the fanbase's sentiment.

Lethaface said:

Well here's the point. While I'm annoyed that Total War 3K has been cancelled as a western RoTK fan for over twenty years, I'm not a new target audience. I've been playing Total War since Medieval 2. Total War 3K was made with a heavy emphasis on tapping into the new Chinese market. They succeeded in doing so with the initial release and then fumbled on holding onto it. It's an absolute disaster for CA to annoy and lose a huge new market. The new Chinese fans don't have the same brand loyalty to Total War as we veteran fans do.

And I've always had the impression that Misaka doesn't speak for all Chinese fans but more that he is a general representation of the fanbase's sentiment.
    I don't think it's that important that you're not a 'new' target audience. If you're disappointed that counts as much as a Chinese player being disappointed.

Anyway I guess we disagree on Misaka, or anyone else for that matter, being a representation of the fanbase sentiment.

He's just someone with an opinion, like us. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And on another note: if someone has a good argument, they can only weaken it by claiming that many other people think the same. Leave that to the beholder, if the argument is good enough they will connect the dots themselves.

Connecting the dots for others doesn't work.

Anyway I'm only posting to entertain my debating hobby. It's just my take on things, do with it as you like. :)
    Lethaface said:

So why are you mentioning the 'Chinese players' all the time. And no you didn't mention anything about other players in a number of your posts.

Because I know for fact that Chinese players as a whole are angry while I can't say the same for Western fans.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7376924730