Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

PreOrder DLC race Speculation

124»

Comments

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,358

It is going to be a glorious day when these discussions stop becoming necessary. I can't be the only one that finds it maddening to have the same conversation this often to no real effect.

As to the race, I am still baffled at how someone can identify a race as their favorite in the setting and actively want them to be the preorder, unless the race is question is one unlikely to be included in the first place. Is there really such a problem with delayed gratification anymore that people cannot wait a few months to a year to get a presumably MUCH better product? And no, the preorder DLC is not going to come anywhere close to a full campaign pack. No way, no how. I don't care how many existing skeletons can be reused. If CA can sell something in large quantities for $20, they aren't going to give it to you for free for buying the base game.

If you did the marshmallow test on most of the forum base most people would fail it and just eat the marshmallow
  • DrownedHoundDrownedHound Registered Users Posts: 7,011

It is going to be a glorious day when these discussions stop becoming necessary. I can't be the only one that finds it maddening to have the same conversation this often to no real effect.

As to the race, I am still baffled at how someone can identify a race as their favorite in the setting and actively want them to be the preorder, unless the race is question is one unlikely to be included in the first place. Is there really such a problem with delayed gratification anymore that people cannot wait a few months to a year to get a presumably MUCH better product? And no, the preorder DLC is not going to come anywhere close to a full campaign pack. No way, no how. I don't care how many existing skeletons can be reused. If CA can sell something in large quantities for $20, they aren't going to give it to you for free for buying the base game.

If you did the marshmallow test on most of the forum base most people would fail it and just eat the marshmallow
    They wouldn't even eat it. It would end up lodged in another orifice and then they would complain about it.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,121
    I don't think there is that much to speculate, honestly. There are basically three candidates: Dogs of War, Legions of Nagash and Hobgoblin Khanate. All the other ones aren't on the map, are too big for a pre-order or are simply too fancy.
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,195
    I know a lot of people like Hobgoblins. I'm really not looking forward to them. The regular Greenskins roster has a ton already, and all the DLCs for Greenskins have focused on adding Goblin type units. I'd like some more damn Orcs.
    Xenos7777 said:

I don't think there is that much to speculate, honestly. There are basically three candidates: Dogs of War, Legions of Nagash and Hobgoblin Khanate. All the other ones aren't on the map, are too big for a pre-order or are simply too fancy.

We'll see... but I don't think DoW come until the end of the series. That's the best point to add them from a workflow standpoint. It makes them an easy add with all the units and models already in the game. I don't think it will be Nagash, I think Nagash will come later as well.

It's either going to be Hobgoblins are something unexpected IMO.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,830
    Bonutz said:

I can’t wait until this damn preorder question is answered.

So true. Those threads are boring and has been debated to death... give us the damn answer CA plz lol
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 24,773
    Most likely Hobgoblins or Undead Legion. Many hints pointing towards their inclusion and they perfectly fit the Norsca formula.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 1,839
    Xenos7777 said:

I doubt that Tilea, Border Princes, or Nagashizzar will be on the map. They're really game 1 or 2 locations.

They could do a Karak 8 peaks and send them on holiday.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,581

Chaos Dwarves for me Clive. They'd be my 'favourites' (in the betting sense), Nagash second, Dogs of War third, Hobgoblins fourth (going to struggle to make a full Race from them IMO), Ogres fifth (too big, guaranteed Campaign Pack seller).

But I hope they get on and announce it soon, they know what it is and they're asking for pre-orders... just tell people what you're selling please CA.

Why would they struggle? Remember that CA made all the most glorious representations of Mongolian Empire forces in all videogamehood.

Hobgoblins are based on Mongols.

The roster just about makes itself... plus there's already minis/rules for some from back in the day.

I'll never understand this "hobgoblins will be hard to design!" thing. I mean ****. Expensive? Yes. Difficult? No.

Xenos7777 said:

I doubt that Tilea, Border Princes, or Nagashizzar will be on the map. They're really game 1 or 2 locations.

They could do a Karak 8 peaks and send them on holiday.
    Nagashizzar and Lahmia aren’t on the Vortex map. They will definitely be on the WH3 only map.
    Itharus said:

Chaos Dwarves for me Clive. They'd be my 'favourites' (in the betting sense), Nagash second, Dogs of War third, Hobgoblins fourth (going to struggle to make a full Race from them IMO), Ogres fifth (too big, guaranteed Campaign Pack seller).

But I hope they get on and announce it soon, they know what it is and they're asking for pre-orders... just tell people what you're selling please CA.

Why would they struggle? Remember that CA made all the most glorious representations of Mongolian Empire forces in all videogamehood.

The roster just about makes itself... plus there's already minis/rules for some from back in the day.

I'll never understand this "hobgoblins will be hard to design!" thing. I mean ****. Expensive? Yes. Difficult? No.
    We really really need a Steppe Nomad Race in WH! That’s the only theme missing next to Pike warfare.
    ArneSo said:

Itharus said:

We really really need a Steppe Nomad Race in WH! That’s the only theme missing next to Pike warfare.
    Hobgoblin race pack with 2 LL. Southern Realms with 2 LL (Tilea, Estalia).

Then a rivalry pack with another Hobgoblin LL and Border Princes LL (the two HAVE fought a number of times).

Then we have both steppe nomad cavalry archers AND pike and shot.

And all is well! Huzzah! Let the people rejoice!!!

Also... I want to point out that Hobmongolblins v Kislev and Cathay would be thematic and proper AF both as a thing in WHFB and as an historical parallel.

/thread.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,247
    Itharus said:

Southern Realms with 2 LL (Tilea, Estalia).

Which characters are you refering to?
    Itharus said:

Also... I want to point out that Hobmongolblins v Kislev and Cathay would be thematic and proper AF both as a thing in WHFB and as an historical parallel.

Tribes of Chaos are already doing that part, don't they?
    SerPus said:

Itharus said:

Southern Realms with 2 LL (Tilea, Estalia).

Which characters are you refering to?
    Itharus said:

Tribes of Chaos are already doing that part, don't they?
    Not the same way, and not by themselves. They live in the Chaos Wastes. Steppes are a different spot south of that. Those tribes actually fight the Hobgoblins even more than they do Cathay and Kislev :-P There's lore blurbs of running battles that involve 100,000 combatants stampeding across the breadth of the steppes between Hobs and Marauders, lol.
    Itharus said:

They live in the Chaos Wastes.

Yes, and in the Eastern Steppes as well. It's not like nomadic tribes would simply stop on the imaginery line between the Wastes and the Steppes.
    Itharus said:

There's lore blurbs of running battles that involve 100,000 combatants stampeding across the breadth of the steppes between Hobs and Marauders, lol.

In the Throne of Chaos, if I remember correctly, they simply avoided Tamurkhan's army. Which raises the question: how would Hobgoblins act in TWW3 campaign?
    SerPus said:

Itharus said:

They live in the Chaos Wastes.

Yes, and in the Eastern Steppes as well. It's not like nomadic tribes would simply stop on the imaginery line between the Wastes and the Steppes.
    Itharus said:

There's lore blurbs of running battles that involve 100,000 combatants stampeding across the breadth of the steppes between Hobs and Marauders, lol.

In the Throne of Chaos, if I remember correctly, they simply avoided Tamurkhan's army. Which raises the question: how would Hobgoblins act in TWW3 campaign?
    There's only one way to find out!

Also how would chaos tribes differ from what Norsca has? Just cut anything ice and add some horse archers?

Also how would chaos tribes differ from what Norsca has?

They won't be limited to coast settelments, I guess.
    SerPus said:

Also how would chaos tribes differ from what Norsca has?

They won't be limited to coast settelments, I guess.
    Are there any unique units in lore or are they just as Hobgoblins to Greenskins? I'm guessing they are also lacking in info (but obviously everything near Cathay is).
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,358

I know a lot of people like Hobgoblins. I'm really not looking forward to them. The regular Greenskins roster has a ton already, and all the DLCs for Greenskins have focused on adding Goblin type units. I'd like some more damn Orcs.

Show me one single hobgoblin in the greenskins roster
    Depends on what you're looking at. Standard Marauder fare. A fan army book added horse archers though. Not sure if they have anything official along those lines. Near as I can tell, strip the ice stuff and fimir from Norsca and pretty much there you go - add some marked dudes. Basically they're in game as they are. Some folks want them to be Kislev'd. Personally I'd rather see the factions that are mentioned but not fleshed out come to life before seeing anything already extant retconned.
  • TheTrueLordAndyTheTrueLordAndy Registered Users Posts: 704
    Hobgoblins though will have to have many custom GW creations to work. For example what monstrous units would they have?
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,162
    edited June 9

But in terms of racial diversity they have a lot less than most other races in Warhammer.

Humans have multiple nations in the setting which translates to multiple factions in game:
    Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev, Cathay (and possibly others will get implemented later down the line)

Elves have: High, Wood and Dark factions

Dwarfs have Chaos Dwarf split.

Undead have Counts, Pirates, Tombkings (and possibly Nagash faction later)

Chaos have Norsca, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Four Monogods etc

Greenskins are just Greenskins at the moment in game, but in lore they have that schism with the Hobgoblins
    This should be represented in game, it'll make them more interesting. Sure they also have night and forest gobos but those weren't made into their own factions. And if you want more Orcs, maybe those can be added as part of the Hobgoblin roster. Slave Iron Orcs. These could have been created by the Chaos Dwarfs after Grimgor's rebellion. They were in the lore, but we don't know much about their origin story.

The only other monolithic factions are Lizardmen, but if we get Khuresh Naga that could be their schism.
    Even Ogres have a sort of Schism with the Halflings, remains to be seen how Halflings gets added to game.
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
    Itharus said:

ArneSo said:

Itharus said:

Hobgoblin race pack with 2 LL. Southern Realms with 2 LL (Tilea, Estalia).

Then a rivalry pack with another Hobgoblin LL and Border Princes LL (the two HAVE fought a number of times).

Then we have both steppe nomad cavalry archers AND pike and shot.

And all is well! Huzzah! Let the people rejoice!!!

/thread.
    I really think that DoW should come with 4 LLs. They have so many named characters.

That’s the main reason why DoW should be a Campaign Pack.

Hobgoblins though will have to have many custom GW creations to work. For example what monstrous units would they have?

Dread Maws and Wind Daemons.

But considering GWs “one more new eastern Race” statement, I wouldn’t be surprised if they get some brand new monsters to.

They're still goblins.. I'm talking goblins man... I don't mind hobgoblins.... I just want more Orcs and Orc variants in the Greenskin roster. Both DLCs were focused on goblins for them. Even more goblins doesn't really excited me. Is what it is.

They're still goblins.. I'm talking goblins man... I don't mind hobgoblins.... I just want more Orcs and Orc variants in the Greenskin roster. Both DLCs were focused on goblins for them. Even more goblins doesn't really excited me. Is what it is.
    Greenskins DLC and Hobgoblins DLC are two entirely separate things.

Hobgoblins =/= part of the Greenskins faction grouping, and any additional Greenskins content would be completely separate and unaffected. And yeah, an Orc DLC is most welcome.

Point is, one will not detract from the other. Separate things. This is like complaining that Lizardmen DLC means Skaven don't get DLC.