Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cao Cao in patch 1.7.0 should be the gold standard for faction design.

united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 1,123
The sequel should adopt a quality over quantity approach to faction design for the "base" game. There is nothing more annoying than to play a faction that isn't unique despite the faction being rather important for the period. Example, Yuan Shu. I don't know which start date the sequel is going to start but you get the idea.

I highly suggests the developers seek out some direction from ROTK gamers on how to implement specific faction mechanic. The person behind imperial intrigue and Cao Cao's scheme in 1.7.0, knows what he/she is doing.

Comments

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    Ma Teng and Gongsun Zan will never have faction currencies or unique mechanics moving forwards, they will be forever stuck with "foraging" and "hey nice court positions!"

• Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 399
    Gotta love unbalanced mechanics that are also buggy and that can ruin your campaign arbitrarily. Keep it up, CA!
  • EighthCitizenEighthCitizen Registered Users Posts: 86
    Don't worry guys the final patch of 1.7.1 fixed that whole issue where certain schemes hit you faction wide. Oh wait it didn't do that...
  • E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173

Don't worry guys the final patch of 1.7.1 fixed that whole issue where certain schemes hit you faction wide. Oh wait it didn't do that...

I think it did actually, I read a thread somewhere here about it. But it's weird it wasn't on the patch notes.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    E_L_2 said:

I think it did actually, I read a thread somewhere here about it. But it's weird it wasn't on the patch notes.

Lots of things are not on the patch notes so we are left unsure of certain changes since they aren't in the official patch notes, another reason why 3k1 did so badly as they can't even get the patch notes correct.

• MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 1,004

Ma Teng and Gongsun Zan will never have faction currencies or unique mechanics moving forwards, they will be forever stuck with "foraging" and "hey nice court positions!"

I mean both could of worked without faction currencies . I imagine gongsun zan was probably going to get a rework with northern tribes before it got cancelled . Being a hanic faction that can actually fight off the northern tribes would of made him stand out even without a currency though they could of made a progression system based on how many northern factions or generals he had crushed .

Ma teng I am not as sure on tbh I would not even know what to give him but anything better than just foraging which is very situational
  • Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 254
    Honestly i don't want to much factions mechanics but those of Yuan Shao and Cao Cao were quite nice. Sun Ce as well but it was to powerfull once getting rid of the bad luck and the court position would go away later anyway.

What i didn't like was Lü Bu's mechanic were you have to play in a certain way to get the real buffs to be successfull. The massive corruption etc. is just stupid if you can't do anything about it. I am for choice and would have loved a quest were he could understand the principle of governing.

I often play Gongsun Zan and i don't mind that he does lack fancy mechanics because i can play him as i like. The special building is really nice. The problem is the issue with the special court positions which you have for Liu Biao as well. Those are just gone when becoming king and you don't get anything else.
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 399
    Ares101 said:

Honestly i don't want to much factions mechanics but those of Yuan Shao and Cao Cao were quite nice. Sun Ce as well but it was to powerfull once getting rid of the bad luck and the court position would go away later anyway.

What i didn't like was Lü Bu's mechanic were you have to play in a certain way to get the real buffs to be successfull. The massive corruption etc. is just stupid if you can't do anything about it. I am for choice and would have loved a quest were he could understand the principle of governing.

I often play Gongsun Zan and i don't mind that he does lack fancy mechanics because i can play him as i like. The special building is really nice. The problem is the issue with the special court positions which you have for Liu Biao as well. Those are just gone when becoming king and you don't get anything else.

I actually kind of agree with you. I don't like it when mechanics railroad you to play a certain way. I think Cao Cao's mechanic is good in principle because it's completely optional and also pretty strong if you do decide to get involved with it. Too bad they botched it with bugs.
  • E_L_2E_L_2 Registered Users Posts: 173
    Ares101 said:

In a recent patch the court positions are actually retained in the emperor court for Gongsun Zan and Liu Biao. It might have been patch 1.7.0 or 1.6.0.