Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is it just me or the reveal felt kinda underwhelming ?

NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,325
edited June 15 in General Discussion
So far Kislev with its 19 units is the smallest roster at launch of the entire trilogy. I expected 2-3 units we haven't seen but no, the only unit we didn't know about was the Dervishes and then there is the Armoured Kossars which everyone thought they were a variant of the Tzar Guard as they literally have the same model with different weapons.

Kislev being a minor race was a good opportunity to really flesh out the roster but I don't know, it just feels a bit weak. There was a lot of opportunities to make some really creative units and I feel like these opportunities have been missed. Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying the roster is bad, I'm just saying that it could have been better and seeing how small the roster is gets me a bit worried about the other races.

Comments

• makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,617
    Its just the usual thing for CA to do, they cut the edges whenever they can.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,724
    Neodeinos said:

So far Kislev with its 19 units is the smallest roster at launch of the entire trilogy. I expected 2-3 units we haven't seen but no, the only unit we didn't know about was the Dervishes and then there is the Armoured Kossars which everyone thought they were a variant of the Tzar Guard as they literally have the same model with different weapons.

Kislev being a minor race was a good opportunity to really flesh out the roster but I don't know, it just feels a bit weak. There was a lot of opportunities to make some really creative units and I feel like these opportunities have been missed. Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying the roster is bad, I'm just saying that it could have been better and seeing how small the roster is gets me a bit worried about the other races.

I mean, when CA decided to go monos, this was bound to happend. Is the same reason why some in the forum are so adamant in defending the short roster.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 13,894
    i don't think they are weak i dread their base design honestly gonna be OP in MP . and pray to every god they are priced well if not it will be vampire coat at launch all over again
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,552
    And there is no way the other rosters will be much better.

I think they are setting warhammer 3 up for a ton of LPs.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,325
    makar55 said:

As a comparison, Dark Elves and High Elves had 22 units, Skaven had 26 and Lizardmen had 23 units at launch. It's not really usual to get such a small roster. I guess that's the price we will pay for having 6 core races instead of 4...

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,430
    edited June 15
    It was very underwhelming to be sure.

I just don't get why they didn't reveal the roster earlier. Instead they put it off and kind of hinted that we would be seeing a lot more. Instead we got the same roster that we've known about from the beginning.

Also, the mount options are lackluster as hell. Where is the sled for Katarin?

Overall, not terrible, but not great either.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • NyumusNyumus Registered Users Posts: 261
    HE had a smaller rlease roster actually.
    Bonutz said:

It was very underwhelming to be sure.

I just don't get why they didn't reveal the roster earlier. Instead they put it off and kind of hinted that we would be seeing a lot more. Instead we got the same roster that we've known about from the beginning.

Also, the mount options are lackluster as hell. Where is the sled for Katarin?

Overall, not terrible, but not great either.

Yeah, what's especially mind blowing is why they waited so long to reveal the roster, it's obvious that if you're going to wait a month after the race trailer then the expectations are going to be higher.

Nyumus said:

Well you're free to check yourself, HE had 22 units.
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/high-elf-army-roster/

• makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,617
    Neodeinos said:

makar55 said:

As a comparison, Dark Elves and High Elves had 22 units, Skaven had 26 and Lizardmen had 23 units at launch. It's not really usual to get such a small roster. I guess that's the price we will pay for having 6 core races instead of 4...
    Nah that's the price for that mobile battles CA introduced for TWW3. We already had **** ton of races on launch (TWW1) and what was the number of units per each there?
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,896
    yep, looks quite cheap. I think it'll be fun to use in the end, but definitely they cut a lot of corners.
  • elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 589
    For me the small roster isn't a big deal IF all units/variants inside are equally useful.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,667
    Neodeinos said:

thats wrong, vampire counts at 17? units at launch, including variants.
    https://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Vampire_Counts_Army_Roster.html#Full_Unit_Roster:

Kislev has 19 with variants.

That does not mean their roster aint small :P it is, just wanted to point that out.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,840
    Vampire Counts launched with 17 units, 18 if you count the Blood Knights that arrived a month later with the first Blood pack.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

• LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,667
    edited June 15
    to adress the topic:

looking at: https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_Armies:_Kislev_(6th_Edition)

i think we got just about the right amount, considering we're going to get DLC's too. Hearing what i heard from you loremasters, i never personally expected kislev to have a huge roster to begin with,
    Wyvax said:

Vampire Counts launched with 17 units, 18 if you count the Blood Knights that arrived a month later with the first Blood pack.

I didn't realise how small the VCounts roster was at launch.

• TancredQuenellesTancredQuenelles Registered Users Posts: 731
    Its OK - Kislev has always had been boring and clone army - now its expanded to a playable roster.
    Id dlc we get Patriarch Lord, Boyar heroes, some bear weapon option, big groms and some odd unit reskin - other kislev staff - flc LLs and its ok - same with daemons - if we judge by Khorne all important demonic and Bloodcrushers are in - so no high budget dlcs with reskins from warriors and beastmen will come - its ok, more resources spared for cross-game dlcs and quicker we get rid of part 3 clone rosters.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,840
    Neodeinos said:

Wyvax said:

I didn't realise how small the VCounts roster was at launch.
    Apart from the half a billion character choices, it has one of the smallest rosters still if variants are condensed. Kislev is smaller in that regard, but they have more strategic options overall, VC is in a really bad way.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

• maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 1,117
    My issue with the kislev roster is that the end game roster is a bit too frontloaded with flashy units while the early game and mid game units are practically nonexistent when that should be where the bulk of the units are.

There's no balance from what I can see. You start with almost nothing for variety or options but just kossars, then you get armored kossars an streltsi and horse archers then BAM bears every where, magc ice cannons and magic war sleds.

One more early game artillery like an organ gun or a small cannon would have sufficed.
  • aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 963
    It's a bit underwhelming. Would've been nice to see a surprise or two. Would've been nice to have seen the sled mount or other mount options. I think it's mostly the way the PR has been done though. It hasn't really built to a crescendo, the hype, if anything, has fizzled a little since the first glimpse.

Ultimately I think the roster is fine and will be fun to play if the campaign gameplay is on point. I hope this is where the low bar is set though and none of the other races are smaller.
  • manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    I'm especially suprised by the lack of low tier pure melee infantry and lack of artillery options.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,725
    elkapp said:

For me the small roster isn't a big deal IF all units/variants inside are equally useful.

All of this.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,709
    Game 3 can look forward to quite a few lord packs at this rate
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,724
    Nyumus said:

Nope. 22 units v 19. 3 heroes v 2. A LOT of different mounts v 2.

In terms of unique assets, maybe, as the HE were full of reskins.
    aMint1 said:

It's a bit underwhelming. Would've been nice to see a surprise or two. Would've been nice to have seen the sled mount or other mount options. I think it's mostly the way the PR has been done though. It hasn't really built to a crescendo, the hype, if anything, has fizzled a little since the first glimpse.

Ultimately I think the roster is fine and will be fun to play if the campaign gameplay is on point. I hope this is where the low bar is set though and none of the other races are smaller.

I guess that's the reason it feels so bad. This reveal doesn't have any surprise, all the units except the Dervishes were seen in the gameplay and trailers.

• maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 1,117
    Neodeinos said:

aMint1 said:

I guess that's the reason it feels so bad. This reveal doesn't have any surprise, all the units except the Dervishes were seen in the gameplay and trailers.
    That sums up nearly everything people have with CA's marketing announcements. Most of the news they tell us aren't really news at all because people have already dissected what info we could get from previous trailers.

This announcement is just reminding people of what we already know.

Can't wait for the Khorne roster to tell people that Khorne's army does in fact have khornate marauders and chaos abominations.
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 829
    no it wasnt, your expectations are whats overblown
    BsFG dwarf
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,838
    I‘m sorry that you think it’s underwhelming. I personally couldn’t be happier.

Keep in mind that other core rosters had unnecessary units without shields... stuff you never use anyways. So the size of the core roster is perfectly fine in my opinion. Every unit seems to be useful with a different purpose.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 6,943
    The fact that Kislev is nearly-complete Hybrid focused is why. Split a few of the hybrids up and count again and we'll see a more normal roster.

This is a good sign for Lord Packs.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,995

no it wasnt, your expectations are whats overblown

I mean for a lot of people that is the case but it doesn't help in the slightest that CA's answers are always vague and suggesting that there is more and then there never is. Like the mount option from Katarin where they just reply with a wink face ? They tease and hype the community and then complain when people are upset when things don't live up to that. Sure people are in control of themselves but CA's marketing strategy is very obvious in what they are doing