Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gun-Axes! Or.. Axe-Guns!

Emo PantherEmo Panther Registered Users Posts: 48

Thought this was interesting, sharing for anyone else who might.

Comments

• PedePede Registered Users Posts: 1,677
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    Yeah. however: Single handed, and iwth the axe head at hte end of hte muzzle. Not like the ones we actually got. You fire them and then get into melee. You don't use them as predominantly ranged weapons.
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • steam_164511599602prOjRW7steam_164511599602prOjRW7 Registered Users Posts: 265

Yeah. however: Single handed, and iwth the axe head at hte end of hte muzzle. Not like the ones we actually got. You fire them and then get into melee. You don't use them as predominantly ranged weapons.

This game has catapults that fire goblins with wings and pointy hats... seriously this weird 'realism' complaint just needs to fade already...
    Then stop trying to bring real life into it as a justification.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,100
    Grenefell said:

This game has catapults that fire goblins with wings and pointy hats... seriously this weird 'realism' complaint just needs to fade already...
    You set the terms of the game and I'll play approximately.

Realism: These weapons existed in reality.

Fantasy: These weapons are appropriate for the over-the-top setting.

Style: An opinion - but I think they look great and are very uniquely identifiable.

Pick your fight and we can fight it...
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701

Show me where those are HUMAN units... I apply different standards to different factions and goblins being dumb is a bad comparison here.
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    edited June 2021

Show me where those are HUMAN units... I apply different standards to different factions and goblins being dumb is a bad comparison here.
    Okay - how about the Medieval Steam Tank....

That hit all your 'realism' buttons does it?

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

• steam_164511599602prOjRW7steam_164511599602prOjRW7 Registered Users Posts: 265

Grenefell said:

You set the terms of the game and I'll play approximately.

Realism: These weapons existed in reality.

Fantasy: These weapons are appropriate for the over-the-top setting.

Style: An opinion - but I think they look great and are very uniquely identifiable.

Pick your fight and we can fight it...
    No need to fight. I actually do think they're completely fine for the world of Warhammer. They're impractical as a standard military weapon, but so are many things and they do give that unit a unique look.

The point is that all these appeals to real life never make any effort to address the mechanical hurdles of these weapons and immediately fall back into fantasy justifications. So that aspect is all hollow appeals to try and puff up a perfectly valid position of liking the weapons.

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 18,355

Grail reliquery, sigh can we move on now.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 9,239
    edited June 2021
    There was this beauty

Would be nice if in-game axeguns were also shaped like berdiches.
    saweendra said:

I am possitive that i have actually looked like that after a rough night out with the lads and they had to carry me home.
    Equally dead expression from me atop btw.

There's a reference to reality!

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    SO this video confirms CA is still wrong about the gunaxe, thank you ;)
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

These are steampunk, genius scientist inventions based on davinci maschines, thats the fantasy part of the fantasy game, warhammer davinci did not create the gunaxe of Kislev, so the comparison is wrong.
    edited June 2021

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

These are steampunk, genius scientist inventions based on davinci maschines, thats the fantasy part of the fantasy game, warhammer davinci did not create the gunaxe of Kislev, so the comparison is wrong.
    Did he also invest strapping a dead guy to a horse while clapping coconuts together like a Monty python sketch?

The point is of ALL the things in Warhammer to complain about realism - a Gun with an axe on it is not the one....

I don't even understand this discussion - these things literally exist!!!

You can buy the feckin' things!

https://witherells.com/lot/north-african-combination-flintlock-pistol-and-axe-4049779
  • CountTalabeclandCountTalabecland Registered Users Posts: 1,064
    edited June 2021
    I just debate the logic in having an axe blade anywhere near your armpit/ribcage when firing a large caliber blackpowder musket thats got some spicy recoil.

Put the sharp thing on the opposite end from the body imo.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I do not care. It looks fun and something Kislev could use. I do not look for realism, just something that could follow the lore. And it works imo. You could find a lot of reasons for those guns -axes to work.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
    edited June 2021

I just debate the logic in having an axe blade anywhere near your armpit/ribcage when firing a large caliber blackpowder musket thats got some spicy recoil.

One could also debate the logic of wearing this headdress into battle...

The fact is - it's a game about spectacle; and of everything in Warhammer this is FAR from the biggest stretch of the imagination.

One could also debate the logic of wearing this headdress into battle...

The fact is - it's a game about spectacle; and of everything in Warhammer this is FAR from the biggest stretch of the imagination.
    I lol'ed more than usual at this.

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

Did he also invest strapping a dead guy to a horse while clapping coconuts together like a Monty python sketch?

The point is of ALL the things in Warhammer to complain about realism - a Gun with an axe on it is not the one....

https://witherells.com/lot/north-african-combination-flintlock-pistol-and-axe-4049779
    Google is not skill most people have in game fourm.
    Sadly

• arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Pede said:

saweendra said:

I am possitive that i have actually looked like that after a rough night out with the lads and they had to carry me home.
    Equally dead expression from me atop btw.

There's a reference to reality!
    Now I want to put a drunk friend and carry him around during a drinking night

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

so fantasy davinci is the only one who can invent stuff right , so he invented mechanical horse , mechanical pigeons , Luminark of hysh, celsital hercanium , ...etc. and bird men was his invention gonna need citation on that one.

also i am waiting on explantion of Grail reliquary.. sigh !!!

• TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 5,094
    saweendra said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

so fantasy davinci is the only one who can invent stuff right , so he invented mechanical horse , mechanical pigeons , Luminark of hysh, celsital hercanium , ...etc. and bird men was his invention gonna need citation on that one.

This stuff is rare and not for common use. Easier to justify.

The streltsi will exist in the hundreds or thousands using this device.

Also I don t get why the people LOL at the grail relique when every proper catholic church to this day has bones and bits from Saints exhibited.
    TeNoSkill said:

saweendra said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

Also I don t get why the people LOL at the grail relique when every proper catholic church to this day has bones and bits from Saints exhibited.

yeah thats the point these things(gun axe) also existed in IRL than mass production of them in fantasy game is what annoy you, seriously are we doing this. again Sigh !!!

or lets ttalk about the multi barrel pistols and guns used by free company , pistoliers, outriders war wagon riders they existed in irl but was not mass produced , but in wh they are mass produced . check mate

• KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,921
    saweendra said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

Google is not skill most people have in game fourm.
    Sadly
    Neither is identifying fake antiques and separating them from actual historical items even when the text clearly spells out that it is a fake.
    "This is a firearms oddity made for sale to tourists in North Africa, but may combine some older parts with newer elements, and is functional. The flint lock is in good working condition, although roughly finished. The steel barrel looks as if it may be from an original gun. The modern wooden stock has scrolling brass inlays. The side plate is either original, or a copy of an original. At the end of the butt is a brass axe head, cast with floral designs. "
    And also people gotta not confuse world building, you know, bring the world to life by referencing stuffs that isn't on the map, or is an event, to some kind of announcement, you know? That is certainly not the case.
    -Andy Hall, Principal Writer and Narrative Designer for Warhammer 3.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,921

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

You did note that the text next to the image does say it is a fake made for tourists?

And also people gotta not confuse world building, you know, bring the world to life by referencing stuffs that isn't on the map, or is an event, to some kind of announcement, you know? That is certainly not the case.
    -Andy Hall, Principal Writer and Narrative Designer for Warhammer 3.
    KN_Gars said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

You did note that the text next to the image does say it is a fake made for tourists?

also, going with the size, it's a pistol. Again. which in combat use would mean "Fire once while charging, or being charge, and then clobbering time."

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Kebab_manKebab_man Registered Users Posts: 565
    KN_Gars said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

you can find replicas of anything, you can also find fireable ones, they just aren't common because one you can shoot severely limits the market of people allowed to own one, and further also makes it much more expensive
    saweendra said:

TeNoSkill said:

saweendra said:

Or how about these boys;

or even these....

yeah thats the point these things(gun axe) also existed in IRL than mass production of them in fantasy game is what annoy you, seriously are we doing this. again Sigh !!!

or lets ttalk about the multi barrel pistols and guns used by free company , pistoliers, outriders war wagon riders they existed in irl but was not mass produced , but in wh they are mass produced . check mate
    Only outriders use muli-barrelled guns and that stuff works like a revolver.

Are you,in all seriousness, trying to argue the widespread use of gunpowder weaponry in the Empire?

The one nation which relies the most heavily on it???? Whose motto is seel faith and gunpowder?

Or what are you trying to say?
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 20,607
    I can't believe people are deep diving into this when during Empire TW the Puckle Gun was a common land/support weapon. It was hardly used and never on land, now, compare that to an axe-gun in a fantasy.. please.

I can't believe people are deep diving into this when during Empire TW the Puckle Gun was a common land/support weapon. It was hardly used and never on land, now, compare that to an axe-gun in a fantasy.. please.

As far as I recall the puckle gun was not part of Empire total war.

Also, what is this logic;

Just somewhere else it´s worse it´s not worth addressing for us????