Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Expanding Norsca; Legendary Lords, Units and Hybrid Faction Concepts

WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,114
So over a month ago I made this thread regarding expanding the Warriors of Chaos: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/289355/expanding-the-warriors-of-chaos
Today I'll be making it's much delayed sequel since we seem to be in a bit of a news pause, as well as several different posts touching on this topic in the past week or so, which has reminded me to buckle down and finish up this post. So here goes, characters, units and ideas for Norscan expansions and FLCs.

Probably the number one most championed LL candidate for Norsca, and not without good reason. Beorg Bearstruck has strong thematic ties to both the raiding and adventuring aspects of the race as well as the werekin tropes, though instead of merely being a werewolf, he's a full on werebear. With Kislev playing such a major role in WH3 and Tzar Boris presumed dead, the potential of a LP matchup between these to ursine themed characters is IMO too good for CA to pass up. Beorg acts as a nice middle ground between Wulfrik and Throgg, as he's both a monstrous character but still a proper Norscan warchief. In addition, Beorg is a tribal chieftain of the Baersonlings, meaning some of the more old school Norscan units would fit quite well in a LP with him.

Another older character that has gained in popularity months. She originally hails from the older editions roleplay games, but is the only known named Fimir character in the setting. Despite this, being updated for modern TW Warhammer isn't an impossible feat. We already have characters that existed for far longer, (Kemmler), were left obsolete in the setting (Rakarth) or only existed in supplementary lore/games (Noctilus and Aranessa). While CA could create a completely new Fimir character, why not use the preexisting one and simply build off from there? Rakka has a unique item readily avaliabe in her Necklace of Shrunken Heads, a named capital of Grat Moshka (where exactly this is located is not known) and a unique design. She would fulfill the role of a caster LL and a fimir LL at once and could bring with her more units to flesh out the more monstrous side of the tribal Chaos worshippers, which I will expand about later. Ultimately I think she and her units are not LP material, however I believe a FLC on a level of quality similar to Drycha is perfect for her. There's even an easy faction name for her in the lore, the Fianna Fimm, which represents the warrior caste in Oldhammer lore and fimir society as a whole.

I've covered Lord Mortkin already in my "Expanding the Warriors of Chaos" thread, but I will cover him here too, as I believe he would work in either roster depending on how CA decided to implement him. On one hand he garnered the favor of the four, and could have become the next Everchosen, leading the Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen and daemonic hordes to crush the realms of men; on the other hand, he was motivated solely by a sense of familial and tribal honor, seeking only to avenge the death of his son rather than being a puppet of the dark gods. Although a baddie, this streak of virtue sets him apart from just about every other Chaos character in existence. If he becomes a Norscan character, his endgame could be structured differently where he not only rejects to aid Archaon but also to rejects supplanting him at well, putting him at odds with all other Chaos races for refusing to toe the party line.

My last suggestion is more of a personal pipedream really, but it's a particularly interesting concept that would go a great way towards enriching and diversifying the campaign in Norsca and the Old World as a whole. Just as the Wood Elves and Tomb Kings each have an evil character in Drycha and Arkhan respectively, I propose a good character to act as a foil for the rest of the Norscans. Ulricsson Haargald, the current leader of the Order of the Winter Throne, or Ragnarites as they are sometimes known. From the 2nd edition RPG, no art is available sadly. The Ragnarites are a somewhat extremist branch of Ulricans who are found in the most northern regions of the Empire, Kislev and Southern Norsca. They refer to Ulric as the Snow King and teach a philosophy of harsh ascetism and self reliance. Winter is a training ground for 'Evernacht' the coming eternal winter that will eventually strangle the life out of the followers of chaos. Ulricsson Haargald is an old and massive Norscan, who rarely speaks and consumes only snow, leading his followers from his seat of power in Norsca. An order aligned Norscan faction would make a fine ally to Nakai, the Empire and Kislev and greatly enrich the early campaign of Norscan factions, during the wars to dominate the peninsula. My suggestion would be to make them a hybrid faction, losing access to the clearly corrupted Chaos units in the Norscan roster, such as Trolls, Fimir, Frost Wyrms and Warshrines, replace the Chaos motifs on Marauder units, have Skinwolves renamed and reskinned to Children of Ulric, and gain access to a limited selection of Empire units such as Knights, Halberdiers, Mortars and the Ulrican units coming alongside Emil Valgeir in the eventual Middenland LP. How to implement him? Make him a ME only FLC that requires both the Middenland LP and the Norsca race pack, similar to Drycha, intertwine his and the Ar-Ulric's campaigns, and release Boris Todbringer alongside as a normal FLC that everyone has access to since he's already half implemented anyway. Again this is a pipedream of mine, but IMO it's a worthy shakeup to the campaign and would add immensely to the game without requiring to much to budget to implement.

Alright that's it for LL suggestions, now let's get into generic characters, starting with lords.

It's no small matter that Norsca has no caster lords available. Instead of making a simple lord tier equivalent of the Shaman-Sorceror, I propose the Dark Emissary as a generic caster instead. While they originally hail from the land of Albion, Dark Emissaries are former Truthsayers corrupted by the teachings of Be'lakor himself, and roam the world seeking to enact the will of the Dark Master, offering their services to various wicked races in evil pacts. Given their tribal origins and the fact that Albion as a race is incredibly unlikely to ever come, I suggest Norsca as the best roster to place them in. They can use the lores of Shadow and Death as well as their own unique lore which will likely only be available to them and Be'lakor himself in WH3.

My second suggestion is a lord tier equivalent of the Skinwolf Werekin, similar to the dynamic seen between the Herald of Khorne/Bloodreaper or the Doombull/Gorebull. I'd suggest Ulfwerener as the title, a name taken from older lore to refer to what we now call skinwolves. Would fit remarkably well alongside Beorg Bearstruck as a generic lord type, as making a generic werebear lord is probably to much to ask for.

The Fimirach Noble is taken from the unit champion of the Fimir with Greatweapons on the TT. Providing an all purpose monstrous melee beatstick lord type for Throgg and Rakka if she ever arrives. An incredibly easy to create unit for CA.

The Fimir Meargh is the leader of each fimir tribe, the only females of their kind but incredibly potent in magic. Could be an exclusive lord type for Rakka similar to Drychas Malevolent Treemen.

Now onto new hero types, of which I only have one that's really worth considering IMO.

The Vikti (or Vitki, some conflicting information on the spelling) are from the older lore of Norsca, what makes them unique from the current Shaman-Sorcerors is that they utilize the Lore of Life in battle, acting as tribal healers. A life mage for an evil race is so far unknown in game, and perhaps might be OP with mammoths, but if we can have them with dinosaurs and dragons I don't see why not.

Okay, now we're getting into actual army units.

Starting off strong with the Curs'd Ettin. These horrific beings are not simple giant variants, but rather the twisted descendants of a tribe of cursed Norsemen, blessed with wicked intelligence and gifted with baleful magic, with some even capable of regenerating. With the possibilities of auras to affect enemies as well as bound spells, the Curs'd Ettins would make an excellent utility monster for the Norscans.

You can't have Dark Emissaries without Fenbeasts of course. These monsters are magical constructs created from a mixture of dead remains and the detritus of bog vegetation and mud. Mindless and fearless entities that are incredibly difficult to put down once on the battlefield.

While the Bearmen of Urslo are a regiment of renown of the Dogs of War, they under their leader provide fodder to be far more than just a RoR of Marauders. Beorg is not the only were-bear in existence, just the greatest known. Reworking the concept into a new tier 5 monstrous infantry (and accompanying building) beyond Armored Skinwolves could provide them with an invaluable new tool. My proposal would be to greatly buff their health while lowering their speed in comparison to Skinwolves, having no dedicated anti-infantry or cavalry focus but instead getting the Berserk rule.

Norscan Huscarls are my proposition for an elite bodyguard unit that exceeds the normal Marauder Champions in armor value, MD, leadership and tankiness, but is less offensive overall, while possessing the Guardian rule. The concept is from the older Norscan lore, but would fit in quite well in a LP alongside a tribal Chieftain like Beorg or Lord Mortkin.

In this image are multiple Oldhammer Fimir models, including that of the Fimir Meargh shown off earlier. The lesser armored, less impressive looking ones represent the lower, slave caste in fimir society, known as Shearls. Shearls are slightly smaller, weaker fimir, with far less impressive tail ornamentation that make up the laborers and rank and file of their warbands. They are an incredibly easy to create remodel and as such could easily come as an exclusive to Rakka in a FLC, representing early access to fimir units before accessing the elite fimir warriors.

Boglars! Aquatic gnoblars that are said to be in league with the Fimir tribes of the Marshes of Madness. These are easy-bake gnoblar retextures as another Rakka FLC exclusive unit. These goblinoids are the perfect meatshield to pair up alongside fimir working similarly to the dynamic between Skinks and Kroxigors. There's even an elite version called Toad-gnoblars, which are basically Gremlin expys, they multiply when coming into contact with water.

So that's my big list of LLs, characters, units and hybrid factions to expand Norsca. I'm sure I've missed several ideas and suggestions, so please feel free to contribute to this post with your own suggestions. Of note, I deliberately omitted Sayl the Faithless as he's the only caster LL of note that would fit for the Warriors of Chaos now that monogods are a thing, and with his clear association with Chaos Spawn, he definitely works better in the WoC for that reason, I cover him in the link at the top of this post. Flayerkin to I omitted as I felt they were somewhat redundant with Berserkers being a thing in the roster already.
Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

Comments

• Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,286
    A good post and an enjoyable read, I think Norsca will only get 1 LP plus a drycha style FLC so Beorg and Rakka seem like a good pair to fill out the roster, although Sayl is still a possibility purely because he needs a mammoth mount and Norsca are the only race with them
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,402
    Great post. I just disagree with the Boglars and I'm not convinced about Rakka as a LL (really old lore, 3rd edition, and Norsca shouldn't be a Half-Fimir faction).

My ideal LP:
    LL: Lord Mortkin -> Norscan Lord, 8th edition (extended rulebook) and has the advantage of not being taken from the WoC characters list. He could have campaign units that would be close to warriors of chaos in look and strength, but still would fit well in the Norscan dedication to the gods (he went full undivided and did "suicide by Imperial" instead of chosing one or becoming the Everchosen).

Generic Lord -> Fimir/Fimrach Noble. Also 8th edition (Monster Arcanum), and champion unit have been promoted to hero/lord multiple times already. Providing a Monstruous generic lord to a faction that is half monsters would make a lot of sense in my view.

Dark Emissaries -> I don't think they're coming really, as Shaman-Sorcerers and Fimir Balefiend already cover the lores of Death and Shadows. As a caster lord, maybe, but I would prefer the Fimir Lord. If we get both, then great.

Cursed Ettin -> We should have gotten that unit instead of the Norscan Giant, enough said.

Fenbeasts -> Let's face it, Albion is unlikely and occupied either by Norscans or "foreigners" (Nakai & Rakarth). Integrating the "evil" side of Albion to Norsca would not be a bad idea and in line with the integration of the Fimirs: Norsca would be the faction of Norscan marauders & Northern Chaos monsters not dedicated to a specific Chaos God.

Bearmen -> A regular version of which the Bearmen of Urslo would be the RoR version. Bearmen would be a sidegrade on the Skin Wolves (armoured), in that they'd be probably a bit slower (except on the charge) and more anti-infantry while Skin Wolves would remain anti-cav and anti-large.

I really wish CA would have used the RPG units: Vitki, Bondsmen, Huscarls, Jarls, Whalers, etc...but sadly GW prevented them from doing that: GW specifically told CA to use marauders for all Norscan human troops. Using the RPG unit would have given Norsca a distinctive warhammer Viking vibe, clearly separating them from the Chaos Wastes tribes (Hungs & Kurgans).

Finally, I would also like the following:
    - Throgg: Change his special building in Erengard to be able to recruit Trolls, Stone Trolls and Rivers Trolls (and maybe even the Troll Hag) instead of Fimirs. In the Lore, Stone & River Trolls are the most common Troll species populating Troll Country and Throgg conquering and consolidating Erengard (with the special building), it would make sense that Trolls would flock to his banner.

- Wulfrik & Lord Mortkin: Add a special building for them in Skeggi, allowing for the recruitment of Cold One Marauders. This would encourage them to "wander" to get access to a shock cav unit would be a fun addition for characters known for raiding and reaving.

TL;DR;
    LP:
    Mortkin
    Fimir Noble Lord/Dark Emissary caster Lord
    Units: Cursed Ettins, Fenbeasts, Bearmen

Trolls for the Troll King (in Erengard via special building change)
    Cold One Marauders for Vikings Norscan Lords (in Skeggi via new special building)
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,268
    edited June 22
    MiniaAr said:

I really wish CA would have used the RPG units: Vitki, Bondsmen, Huscarls, Jarls, Whalers, etc...but sadly GW prevented them from doing that: GW specifically told CA to use marauders for all Norscan human troops. Using the RPG unit would have given Norsca a distinctive warhammer Viking vibe, clearly separating them from the Chaos Wastes tribes (Hungs & Kurgans).

)

Where was it stated that GW demanded to reuse basic marauders? I could understand why they whished so for various buisness reasons. But I never heard of such a statement.

Though I would love to see the vikings stuff as well.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    edited June 22
    sykall said:

MiniaAr said:

)

Where was it stated that GW demanded to reuse basic marauders? I could understand why they whished so for various buisness reasons. But I never heard of such a statement.

I am sure there was a CA comment about this at the time of Norsca release, you're going to make me search aren't you? :s

Found it, not too hard it was in the Norsca roster reveal:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/196713/norsca-army-roster/p3
    CA_Andy said:

Hi - Andy 'da Loremaster' here.

Just popped in to the thread and saw the notes about the naming conventions.

So, I thought I'd nip this in the bud quickly. There's more chance of getting a tan in Norseca than us changing the names... suffice it to say, how IP is named and portrayed and kept uniquely Warhammer is very important. So the names stay as is ;-)

Cheers
    Andy

The discussion was about changing the names from "Marauders Champions" to Huscarls for example. This was CA's response. the use of the "IP" argument makes me extrapolate a GW intervention there.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,114
    MiniaAr said:

sykall said:

MiniaAr said:

)

I am sure there was a CA comment about this at the time of Norsca release, you're going to make me search aren't you? :s
    TBH I'm quite curious about this myself as well. No need to search though.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King

edited June 22
    A second quote even from the same thopic:
    CA_Andy said:

Yeah, I used to edit Citadel Journal in another life, so I'm aware ;-)

Believe me, there were conversations. But the CJ list is over 22 years old. The IP has evolved since publication. As I said - rub on the sun-cream, head to Norseca, pop back and show me your tan, then we'll talk.

"There were conversations".... Again, this hints to a GW footdown on the use of the old Vikings concept for Norsca.
  • DrJammatDrJammat Registered Users Posts: 126
    This is a bit of an aside, but I do wish they'd given us an FLC in game 2 when Mortal Empires was released (perhaps instead of one of the core race FLCs) as it was a pre-order for game 2, it would make sense to be able to play them in game 2. Mortkin and Throgg in the Old Word, Wulfrik sailing around the Vortex map.
  • HighPriest_AstragothHighPriest_Astragoth Registered Users Posts: 607
    That’s dreaming big, and I would love to get it, or any of it. With the game going East, I sadly expect to see “Chaos Human Tribes” all rolled into one faction, Norsca, and so I would absolutely love to see Sayl the Faithless, Twisted Seer of the Wastes and infamous arch-sorcerer of the Dolgan tribes.

Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,683
    Mortkins sword looks stupid.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,114
    edited June 22

That’s dreaming big, and I would love to get it, or any of it. With the game going East, I sadly expect to see “Chaos Human Tribes” all rolled into one faction, Norsca, and so I would absolutely love to see Sayl the Faithless, Twisted Seer of the Wastes and infamous arch-sorcerer of the Dolgan tribes.

I think they'll probably be represented as a mix. Some tribes with Norsca while the nastier nomadic tribes further north will be represented by Warriors of Chaos, the Tong for instance. Sayl is a shoe in to get in, especially since he's quite famous for leading part of Tamurkhan's horde on an assault at the Cathayan outpost of Ashair. Sounds like a guranteed LP for me. I used to think he'd be added to Norsca but now I'm pretty confident he'll go to the WoC proper, given the clear links he has to spawn and how deep he's gotten in bed with daemonic pacts over the years.
    Yannir said:

But have you seen Malekith's hat?!

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,268
    MiniaAr said:

sykall said:

MiniaAr said:

)

Found it, not too hard it was in the Norsca roster reveal:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/196713/norsca-army-roster/p3
    CA_Andy said:

Hi - Andy 'da Loremaster' here.

Just popped in to the thread and saw the notes about the naming conventions.

So, I thought I'd nip this in the bud quickly. There's more chance of getting a tan in Norseca than us changing the names... suffice it to say, how IP is named and portrayed and kept uniquely Warhammer is very important. So the names stay as is ;-)

Cheers
    Andy

The discussion was about changing the names from "Marauders Champions" to Huscarls for example. This was CA's response. the use of the "IP" argument makes me extrapolate a GW intervention there.
    Ah ok I see confusing buisness stuff most probably then. About name rights or other stuff I have no clue off.

Thanks a lot for looking it up!
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    Wyvax said:

I think they'll probably be represented as a mix. Some tribes with Norsca while the nastier nomadic tribes further north will be represented by Warriors of Chaos, the Tong for instance. Sayl is a shoe in to get in, especially since he's quite famous for leading part of Tamurkhan's horde on an assault at the Cathayan outpost of Ashair. Sounds like a guranteed LP for me. I used to think he'd be added to Norsca but now I'm pretty confident he'll go to the WoC proper, given the clear links he has to spawn and how deep he's gotten in bed with daemonic pacts over the years.
    Yannir said:

But have you seen Malekith's hat?!
    I agree. While Tamurkhan is likely to come in an LP for Monogod Nurgle, Sayl would be the perfect caster LL for WoC given that the remaining WoC armybook character are all Gods-aligned:
    - Galrauch - Tzeentch (could be LH)
    - Valkia the Bloody - Khorne
    - Vilitch the Curseling - Tzeentch
    - Festus the Leechlord - Nurgle
    - Scyla Anfingrimm - Khorne (LH material as well)

Add in Vardek Crom as the Herald of Archaon and you have a nice Undivided WoC race in the game (undivided does't mean no access to marked units!)
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 4,177
    Rob18446 said:

A good post and an enjoyable read, I think Norsca will only get 1 LP plus a drycha style FLC so Beorg and Rakka seem like a good pair to fill out the roster, although Sayl is still a possibility purely because he needs a mammoth mount and Norsca are the only race with them

Why can't Warriors have him with a Mammoth mount? A single mount is not going to cause Warriors to make Norsca redundant. He's not Norsan anyway he's Kurgan. Bearstruck and Rakka are both the best option to get them to their 4. Beorg is actually a Norscan and in addition he's a wereman so he gives Norsca both a second Norsca rep(which people have been asking for) while representing that monsterous aspect of the roster. Plus he would almost certainly come alongside Bearmen which I envision have heavy hitting AP Skinwolves.

And Rakka along with Fimir Meargh would flesh out the Fimir part of the roster and give them the caster lord option they've needed for so long. Could also come with Fimir Noble who would be a great Hero option along the Werekin and Shaman allowing to bring full Fimir armies.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Interestingly enough, Huscarls and Bondsmen (as well as Thralls, Berserkers and Ulfwerner) didn't only appear in the CJ list, but also in Man o' War. As that game predates 6th edition (and could really use a reimagining) I doubt it gives any more legitamacy to the names though.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,968

Rob18446 said:

Why can't Warriors have him with a Mammoth mount? A single mount is not going to cause Warriors to make Norsca redundant. He's not Norsan anyway he's Kurgan. Bearstruck and Rakka are both the best option to get them to their 4. Beorg is actually a Norscan and in addition he's a wereman so he gives Norsca both a second Norsca rep(which people have been asking for) while representing that monsterous aspect of the roster. Plus he would almost certainly come alongside Bearmen which I envision have heavy hitting AP Skinwolves.

And Rakka along with Fimir Meargh would flesh out the Fimir part of the roster and give them the caster lord option they've needed for so long. Could also come with Fimir Noble who would be a great Hero option along the Werekin and Shaman allowing to bring full Fimir armies.
    Heck, they could go full Arkhan and just give Sayl mammoths despite otherwise being a WoC lord.
  • HedonistHoundHedonistHound Registered Users Posts: 7,412
    Draxynnic said:

Rob18446 said:

Heck, they could go full Arkhan and just give Sayl mammoths despite otherwise being a WoC lord.
    If they wanted to be accurate to the one battle people actually remember that he was in charge of he would be able to recruit Mammoths and Beastmen.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,968

Draxynnic said:

Rob18446 said:

If they wanted to be accurate to the one battle people actually remember that he was in charge of he would be able to recruit Mammoths and Beastmen.
    That's an interesting one, since in TWW terms, what he effectively did was get an allied force to attack the tower for him while he held back his own forces and only contributed by magic. It was an important plot point that while he manipulated the Beastmen, they really weren't technically his.