Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The nation you love the most and/or play as the most.

Comments

• TheImperatorofRomeTheImperatorofRome Senior Member Posts: 556Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    You cant beat The Jullii Romans. i always play the roman campaign just so i can get Julius Caesar. he does acually appear if u keep the Jullii bloodline going. i also love playing as the Greeks just because you can get Spartans. try beating a whole army of Sparatan Hoplites early game. by the 7th year, iv conquered Greece, Macedonia, Italy, Selucia, parts of Gaul and North Africa. i used cheats but it was still AWESOME.
  • Anthony7411Anthony7411 Senior Member Posts: 123Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    Julii and Macedon are my favorites. The other Roman factions and carthage are fun to play as for me aswell :)
  • AwesomeUsernameAwesomeUsername Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    Roma for me, their versatality is king until you meet the egyptians.
    My username is Awesome
  • Empire BuilderEmpire Builder Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I find something to like about most factions. For the longest time I hated chariots so I've not played the Egyptians very often. More recently I've played the Britons, and I'm starting to get over my issues with chariots so maybe I'll give the Egyptians a try. Favorite faction is probably the Greeks. They're ideally placed for a rapid conquest of Macedonia and from there you can go in a lot of different directions - west into Italy, east into Asia Minor, or north against Thrace and Dacia. Selucids are good, but it can be annoying taking on so many enemies so early in the game. The Gauls and Germans can each be good, but both give you limited technology. Carthage can defeat all of the Romans very quickly, but then you are just mopping up little guys for the rest of the game.
  • flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Posts: 884Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I find something to like about most factions. For the longest time I hated chariots so I've not played the Egyptians very often. More recently I've played the Britons, and I'm starting to get over my issues with chariots so maybe I'll give the Egyptians a try. Favorite faction is probably the Greeks. They're ideally placed for a rapid conquest of Macedonia and from there you can go in a lot of different directions - west into Italy, east into Asia Minor, or north against Thrace and Dacia. Selucids are good, but it can be annoying taking on so many enemies so early in the game. The Gauls and Germans can each be good, but both give you limited technology. Carthage can defeat all of the Romans very quickly, but then you are just mopping up little guys for the rest of the game.
    I agree with you and definitely the Greeks have a great starting position. However, they do not have an effective cavalry force and even though they have a powerful phalanx force you must remember that if you do not have the cavalry to hold off a flanking move long enough for you to at least reposition your phalanx to cover the flank you can have a good deal more casualties and this brings me to Macedon. Macedon I love them due to their capable phalanx troops not necessarily the match of the greeks however if you can effectively use their cavalry you can easily beat off the greeks and they have a great starting position like the greek cities.
  • Brenticus1Brenticus1 Senior Member Posts: 643Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    cavalry has always been what sets macedonia apart from the greeks. Alexanders whole strategy was essentially to load up one flank, hold the other, and **** with cavalry. It works very well. Once (as rome) I unleashed a full cav army on the guals and spain. with that army, I took about 10 provinces without any reenforcements or retraining, though I did loose about half of my army strength, then I retrained all of my units and marched to rome.
    I personally like the cataphracts, they are BEAST. In my campaign as armenia, I am trying to conquer the world with only cav (horse archers and cata's). I am kinda counting on rome taking out greece and macedonia, which have very good phalanxes.
    The more you kill, the less the lag.
  • TheCommieKazeeTheCommieKazee Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I'm pretty new to the series so I haven't got around playing so many factions yet. I started with the Romans(Julii) and love them to death, I've taken down the Gauls and Britons+ taken half of Spain and taken much land in the east. So I like playing as them, besides them I'd say Egypt is my favorite faction, because I like the Chariots and their Spearmen. And I get such a great economy when I play with them(usually around 80,000 denari). It's also pretty challenging
    because the Selucids are agressive and hard to fight. Also like to play as the Britons, because I like attacking from
    England and the island gives me a natural defense. Also liked the Gauls quite a bit. I managed to counterattack the
    Romans big time and crushed the Julii and then took Rome! Unfortunately they started to overrun me and my economy went to ****s and I couldn't hold the line anymore. I've tried the Selucids myself, but they're pretty horrible in the
    beginning and I got crushed by Egypt and a three country alliance between Parthia, Armenia and Pontius. But in battle mode where you get to choose units I absolutely love them. Besides from that I like playing as Germania in battle mode so I might start a campaign with them, I'm a noob so I like to play it defensively, which means I can have a
    main body with Spear Warband with missile units behind and have axemen supported by cavalry on the flanks plus
    BERSERKERS.

But so far I'm all Egypt!
    edited January 2012
    What's the advantage of German ax men, cavalry, and Berserkers on the flank? I find that the flanks usually draw enemy cavalry so I like to put spear men out there and ax men in the middle of my line.
  • TheCommieKazeeTheCommieKazee Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I don't like using the types of spearmen that Germania has to offer on the flanks, because they're slow moving and can be hit on the sides. I usually like having the flanks of my Phalanxes covered. And the axemen can do well against at least against the armored cav since axes are effective against armor+ they're supported by cavalry to help them out. And I usually just enrage the Berserkers so they just run around everywhere and kill :D

Basically I feel that the spearmen Germania has works well as a main body, because they are vulnerable on the flanks and only good when the enemy is straight ahead of them, which means that the enemy cav can hit them right in the side and **** up the Phalanx making their spears useless.
    But usually I do as you say and use units like Triarii or Libyan Spearmen on the flanks, because as you say flanks draws cavalry.
    edited January 2012
    I know what you mean by the limits of German spearmen. Briton spearmen, too, but not so much with the Gauls. Still, while enemy cavalry always seems to be lurking around my flanks, it's rarely something I can't handle, even with just spearmen. But you do explain why the game keeps putting axmen or swordsmen (for Britons and Gauls) out on the flanks during the default set up.

Flaming likes Macedon over Greece because of the cavalry, but again, I never really had a problem stem from the Greek's lack of early cavalry. In my first attack on Corinth, I always send along two or three generals and use them as line cavalry. I know that's dangerous, but if I'm careful I don't lose any generals, and heavy cavalry almost always beats light or medium cavalry.
  • AxebittenAxebitten Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    Im one hundred and ten percent barbarian heavy infantry addict so : Germania is the best with berzerkers and chosen axemen.
    Wardogs first, berzerkers after them and outflank these Roman dogs with chosen axemen. Afte rthat your Night raiders can hit them from behind and the day is saved - thanks to the men from woods. :)
  • geordie97geordie97 Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I normally play as Julii as i love destroying the barbarians :), however, the Brutii always take my fancy, as I can quite easily generate huge income from trade, after destroying the Greeks and Macedons.
    War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished.
  • PetroniuPetroniu Member Posts: 92Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    In Vannila RTW definitely Carthage, Seleucids and The Greek Cities in this order. That order switched with time but they were always my first 3 favorites.
    EDIT: Reading more posts in this thread I thought I should give my reasons for liking this specific factions:
    1.Carthage: I like their great variety of troops, and though I am not an elephant commander, their army is very strong. Also, I like the historic background of the faction. If only Hannibal knew what the romans did to Carthage years later after his campaign he would've marched to Rome and destroyed it. So I like to have my revenge on the romans for destroying Carthage.
    2.Seleucids: Besides the superb troops selection they have, the historic backgrounf is amazing. I know that they don't have in the game a great part of the empire, I really like to beat the egyptians and to put the parthians where they belong. It may seem hard but if you hold on the first ten turns, you can steamroll everything with this guys after.
    3.The Greek Cities: It's impossible not to love them. They are the first faction with which I played on the VH/VH setting (a long time ago) and I absolutely defeated everyone with armies full of only hoplites (as the greeks would've did). It was amazing. And no faction can beat that starting position: You can expand in absolutely every direction you want. It's really nice to play them.
  • BradBrad Member Posts: 86Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I normally play as the Julii or Greek Cities
  • SirDevinSirDevin Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I play a lot of Armenia, Britons, and Macedon.
  • Hannibal BarcaHannibal Barca Senior Member Posts: 811Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    As you might know from my name I favor the Carthaginian's:P Right now i intend to try to use the barbarian factions effectivly online, i doubt i'll have much success but i'm going to give it a shot:)
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    As you might know from my name I favor the Carthaginian's:P Right now i intend to try to use the barbarian factions effectivly online, i doubt i'll have much success but i'm going to give it a shot:)

I'm not sure if that's possible without using spams of berserkers. They just have too bad stats. :D.
  • Hannibal BarcaHannibal Barca Senior Member Posts: 811Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I tested out my barbarian armies, with Germania i won 5 or 6/8 games, admittedly quite a few of my opponents weren't the best but still good to know it's possible:) I've given up on Gaul, only tried once and got smashed by a player using Spain:\ Great thing was i didn't use a single unit of beserkers either.
  • joegouvinjoegouvin Senior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I like Greek states and BRiton
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?
  • thatscoolmanthatscoolman Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    i definatly love the macdeonians for their awsoem light cav at begining campaign also i think their phalanxe are the best they have abunch of people in each unit and they're spears are almost the longest wich makes them devastating if in the right posistion to short speared phalanxes such as the greeks and carthaginaians
  • crimson_shadecrimson_shade Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    you're sure they're better than greek phalanx? because i'll never believe that anyone can have a better phalanx unit stronger than spartan hoplites.
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu
  • Sparticus_rebornSparticus_reborn Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Greeks FTW!!!!!!
    Hoplites are unbeatable if you're skilled (and have merc cav LOL)

Or have archers and pila...
    "These Barbarians lack the tactical refinement of our Legions" - Anonymous Roman General precluding an ambush.
  • TheImperatorofRomeTheImperatorofRome Senior Member Posts: 556Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    or artillery...
  • DreagonDreagon Senior Member Posts: 541Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I personally really enjoyed playing as the Scipii, the Julii are fun too. I also had a very good time playing as Germania and Pontus.
    My Total War wishlist:

1: Reformation: Total War
    2: Victoria: Total War
    3: Dark Age: Total War
  • TheCrusaderTheCrusader Junior Member Posts: 17Users Awaiting Email Confirmation - NO EMAIL
    edited March 2012
    all factions are good and bad,but I prefer People of PONTUS.
  • ElfwoodElfwood Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I played as Julii in short and long campaign,,and I manage to beat Rome and Egypt,,,, now I am trying to play as Seleucid,, I saw a big different from Julii to Seleucid and like a new challenge I think :).. I am new in this game :)
  • pieter95pieter95 Member Posts: 98Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I have played the rtw campaign with all factions, the ones I enjoyed most were:
    1. Carthage, really fun at the begin because you are fighting a naval based war vs rome, and you have lots of trade, but it becomes boring if you have already beaten the romans and egypt comes with giant skirmish armys, that are to overpowered in auto resolve so you have to do 20 battles against the same kind of armys in the libya region.
    2. Macedon, begining is easy fighting against the greeks, and possibility to expand north east or west.
    3. Seleucids, the start is quite hard when you are fighting with everyone, but when you beat them, the romans already expanded to far north to conquer them quikely.
    4. Brutii is also fun to play because you come across many different opponents, barbarian dacian, al the greek factions, the Egyptisch faction and later on the eastern factions.
    Fortune, which has a great deal of power in other matters but especially in war, can bring about great changes in a situation through very slight forces.
    Julius Caesar
  • Sacred BandSacred Band Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    The Seleucid Empire!

So many great units, phalanx, heavy infantry, cavalry, chariots and cream of the cake elephants (although I prefer chariots to ele due to replacement
    issues). The start is epic and even the levy pikemen can be deadly in right hands. And it's always so satisfying to mop floor with Egyptians. :D
    "Winner knows the means to victory, loser the explanations"
  • archer5869archer5869 Junior Member ScotlandPosts: 20Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    The Greek Cities for me, i absolutely love the units for them. They present a challenge too quite early on, because the Romans always have a vested interested in wiping me off the face of the Earth.
    "Quotes found on the internet are often untrue" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Sir HynafolSir Hynafol Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I loved plenty of Factions, but my top 3 have to be:
    (In order)

- Rome: Scipii - Enjoy having a long, great and thrilling war with the Carthage Faction! Expanding and fighting against Egypt was great fun too (Might do it again!)
    - Carthage - The War with the Scipii family is great (as said above). The units are great (SACRED BAND UNITS FTW) I never really did use elephants, made it more great!
    - Germania - The best barbarian based faction going! The units are pretty much, THE BEST! I love the starting place, being attacked by everyone! Expanding and fighting Rome is interesting and LONG! FUN FUN FUN!