Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The LL Problem of an Ogre Race Pack

MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,622
The addition of the Ogre Mercenaries in Warhammer II's final content patch has garnered a lot of speculation regarding the implementation of the Ogre Kingdoms in Warhammer III. While previously the majority consensus was that the Ogre Kingdoms would be implemented in the vein of the Tomb Kings as a Campaign Pack with the requisite 4 Legendary Lords, the Ogre FLC has generally increased the likelihood that the Ogre Kingdoms will instead be implemented as a Race Pack with two Legendary Lords in the style of Norsca. Aside from the question of the effect this might have on the Ogre Kingdoms' roster, campaign mechanics, and narrative campaign, this brings up another dilemma: assuming this assumption is correct, who would the Ogre's legendary lords be?

The problem is simple. There are three characters who are, in my opinion, absolutely essential to the Ogre Kingdoms, but a hypothetical preorder Race Pack would likely only include 2 legendary lords, meaning that somebody's gotta go (Before you mention the Warriors of Chaos or Bretonnia, they technically only came with two as well- Archaon and Louen were in the base game of Warhammer I). The only problem is that the lineup feels like it'd be crippled if it was missing any one of these guys.

Greasus Goldtooth: The Overtyrant and de-facto leader of the Ogre Kingdoms. His tribe is the most powerful in the Mountains of Mourn, and he is said to be the single richest individual in the Warhammer world. The "Karl Franz" of the Ogre Kingdoms, so to speak.

Skrag the Slaughterer: The most powerful Slaughtermaster in existence and a devotee of the Great Maw, Skrag is something of a "high-priest" of the Ogres and the only caster lord among the bunch.

Golgfag Maneater: One of the oldest Warhammer characters in existence and the only Ogre who can reasonably claim to be "iconic." Golgfag, as a character, predates the existence of the Ogre Kingdoms' first army book by over a decade and can be traced back to the 2nd edition. In-universe, he's a legendary fighter and mercenary who is the namesake of the soon-to-be-implemented Maneaters unit, one of the most powerful units in the Ogre roster.

Furthermore, it could be said that each member of this trifecta represents a core element of the Ogres: Greasus represents their greed and gluttony, Skrag represents their hunger and worship of the Great Maw, and Golgfag represents their wanderlust and mercenary nature.

Bragg and Ghark are cool characters, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they carry the weight (no pun intended) that these three do. I'd love to see one or both of them, but I'm not optimistic.

Hopefully, CA will bend the rules a little bit and we'll get at least three legendary lords in the preorder race pack- it's certainly been a time of unprecedented additions, after all! Alternatively, maybe all this panic is over nothing, and the Ogre Kingdoms will just be the first campaign pack and come with 4 LLs anyway.

In the mean time, I've created a poll to see which of the three characters I've listed above (Greasus, Skrag, and Golgfag) are least essential for the Ogres in your opinion.

https://www.strawpoll.me/45459089
Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let it be known that I was foolish enough to doubt UberReptilian, who, in her infinite wisdom, predicted that the Ogre Kingdoms would be the preorder bonus before even the Ogre Mercenary FLC for Warhammer II. This signature will stand as a monument to my shame. Woe upon me!

Comments

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,183
    Ogres deserves 4 LLs. Especially as it would allow to dedicate one lord to each nice. Greasus as the big boy in charge, buffing Bulls, Skrag as the named caster lord, buffing Gorgers, Golgfag as the well-known Ogre, buffing ranged, gunpowder units and maneaters and finally, Ghark, as a badass cavarly-themed lord !
  • KirGeoKirGeo Registered Users Posts: 900
    If they have already introduced some units to game 2 they will likely be there in game 3 as well. We might get a race pack similar to WoC with 3 LL. Not to forget game 3 has more budget from game 1 & 2. Even the marketing team might have gotten a bigger share.
    We want all the factions Dogs of War, Araby, Ind, Kuresh, Nippon, Hobgoblin Khanate. Milk us CA.
  • MalalTheRenegadeMalalTheRenegade Registered Users Posts: 557
    CA has improved its DLC policy with each new iteration. Who knows if OK being a preorder means that they will get only 2 Lords or less content ?
  • Fournier7Fournier7 Registered Users Posts: 79
    We will get the 4 LL there is no reason beastmen 4 woodelves 4 then why not 4 for ogres
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 1,637
    edited July 3
    I think Ogre Kingdoms could end up more like Chaos Warriors or Bretonnia, where they have one Legendary Lord in the base game (non-playable, or only in mult- player).

The Race Pack would then have two new ones, plus flesh out the "original" with quests and such, as happened to Archaon and Louen.

That way Ogre Kingdoms end up with their big three lords.

(It would be sad not to get Ghark Ironskin, but... that's life.)
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    If we going to get only two lord (hope not), likely to be Greasus Goldtooth and Skrag the Slaughterer,

Greasus because he is most important ogre and most likely to be the "leader" of Ogres,

Skrag because he is a lorecaster, we usually have two different type lords

But to be honest, only two legendary lords is the worst thing can ever happen

I would expect to get a 4 to 5 lord with one legendary hero race pack
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 954
    It all depends on the budget , if it is small all this discussion is useless

But the best thing for the game3's campaign would be a non-order ou non-chaos force with 4LL's whether they are , Undead Legions, Ogres or Hobgoblins.

So we would start the game on day1 with a very volatile map, a fight between Orden vs Chaos vs Destruction on an equal footing, where dubious alliances could be forged.
    And without the damn ordetide.

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,806
    edited July 3
    It's for this reason why I'm not so sure that the Ogres are the preorder. Sure, it's possible that CA can give a preorder race 4 LL's but there's no precedent for that. Every preorder race has been 2-3 LL's so far...and that includes other Total War games as well (3K, Troy).

Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs deserve the campaign pack treatment with 4 LL's and their full roster.

Dogs of War would be the leading contender for me for the preorder still but now I'm not so sure about them either with the Ogres taking on the mercenary role.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,690

I think Ogre Kingdoms could end up more like Chaos Warriors or Bretonnia, where they have one Legendary Lord in the base game (non-playable, or only in mult- player).

The Race Pack would then have two new ones, plus flesh out the "original" with quests and such, as happened to Archaon and Louen.

WoC had three lords...
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Rolf1989Rolf1989 Registered Users Posts: 499
    edited July 3
    I might have missed something, but couldn't the ogre mercenaries just be (some of) the units for the placeholder ogrefactions until the campaign pack arrives? Why do everybody think they are the preorder?
    But if they are and only two LL, it would break my heart. All three are essential. Goldfag is my favourite, and the least likely to be included if they stick to two LL's
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,622

WoC had three lords...
    They did, but only two were created on the budget of the preorder: Kholek and Sigvald. Archaon was always going to be in the game, the preorder just made him playable.

It was the same situation with Louen in Bretonnia.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let it be known that I was foolish enough to doubt UberReptilian, who, in her infinite wisdom, predicted that the Ogre Kingdoms would be the preorder bonus before even the Ogre Mercenary FLC for Warhammer II. This signature will stand as a monument to my shame. Woe upon me!
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    I will be MAD, real MAD if Ogres only get two legendary lords
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,087
    Fournier7 said:

We will get the 4 LL there is no reason beastmen 4 woodelves 4 then why not 4 for ogres

Well it took CA a length of TWO FULL GAME'S BEFORE THEY FINALLY MADE BEASTMEN PLAYABLE
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 8,549
    Greasus Goldtooth
    Skrag the Slaughterer
    Golgfag Maneater
    Bragg the Gutsman

are all essential imo.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    I don't think it's that unrealistic to have 3 LL's in the pre-order.
  • LoukarvicLoukarvic Registered Users Posts: 82
    edited July 3
    Give me Ghark Ironskin, even if it not the more "important" ogre across all Ogre leaders, he would buff all the cavalry / monster cavalry infantries. Knowing that Ogre have a lot of them, he would be a really cool LL.
    Justice for Thundertusks and Yeethees !

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,334
    In case of Ghark Ironskin
    http://www.kerlin.de/pic/oldhammer/RhinoxCavalry.pdf
    I would say he *could* have a pretty big role, if CA would want it. And that is depending on how Ogre Kingdoms will be covered in the first place.

For those who do not know, Rhinox came with the above WD article in 6th, then later as actual Forgeworld miniatures

which also offered them a Dogs of War status to be sourced out to most armies.
    In 8th edition the new Ogre armybook then included Mournfangs as regular plastic cav

which is a tad bit weaker then Rhinox. While Rhinox got upodated rules in 8th to fit the new Ogre armybook
    http://www.kerlin.de/pic/oldhammer/Rhinox.pdf
    but since 8th edition ignored the Dogs of War, that sentence for the Rhinox got lost too.

Which brings us now to the strange appearance of Mournfangs as mercenary cav for the next update. Not Rhinox.
    Either the Rhinox (which will appear as model anyway since they drag the Scraplauncher/Ironblaster for Ogre Kingdoms, and CA will not hold both back) will become the actual heavy cav for the Ogre Kingdoms, hence the "lighter" Mournfangs were outsourced instead or the OK will drop with only Mournfangs for start. Which would leave the Rhinox Cav for a later addition, be it DLC or FLC. And Ghark would be perfect to come along then. Ghark Ironskin also should be a challenge for CA, since they have to design a unique "mechanical" Rhinox mount and a Ogre clad in super heavy armor, who rather looks like a Knight or Chaos Warrior instead of the usual Ogre in just heavy armor. I am not sure CA would be willing to invest the charlemagens here for a FLC choice, so a DLC option to bring whatever might be missing for Ogre Kingdoms would be the more sound option.

Currently, there is just no way to tell. If OK come as PreOrder might be bad for Ghark. If OK race DLC, with 4 LL, I assume Greasus & Skragg are set. So Golgfag & Ghark could easily be the other half. Or someone else instead of Ghark and Ghark could still show up as later addition bringing Rhinox cav with him. But so far TK & Vampirates had no LL additions so *meh*. in the end I rather see Ghark Ironskin then Bragg or some new CA invention.

-----Red Dox
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,622
    Red_Dox said:

In case of Ghark Ironskin
    http://www.kerlin.de/pic/oldhammer/RhinoxCavalry.pdf
    I would say he *could* have a pretty big role, if CA would want it. And that is depending on how Ogre Kingdoms will be covered in the first place.

For those who do not know, Rhinox came with the above WD article in 6th, then later as actual Forgeworld miniatures

which also offered them a Dogs of War status to be sourced out to most armies.
    In 8th edition the new Ogre armybook then included Mournfangs as regular plastic cav

which is a tad bit weaker then Rhinox. While Rhinox got upodated rules in 8th to fit the new Ogre armybook
    http://www.kerlin.de/pic/oldhammer/Rhinox.pdf
    but since 8th edition ignored the Dogs of War, that sentence for the Rhinox got lost too.

Which brings us now to the strange appearance of Mournfangs as mercenary cav for the next update. Not Rhinox.
    Either the Rhinox (which will appear as model anyway since they drag the Scraplauncher/Ironblaster for Ogre Kingdoms, and CA will not hold both back) will become the actual heavy cav for the Ogre Kingdoms, hence the "lighter" Mournfangs were outsourced instead or the OK will drop with only Mournfangs for start. Which would leave the Rhinox Cav for a later addition, be it DLC or FLC. And Ghark would be perfect to come along then. Ghark Ironskin also should be a challenge for CA, since they have to design a unique "mechanical" Rhinox mount and a Ogre clad in super heavy armor, who rather looks like a Knight or Chaos Warrior instead of the usual Ogre in just heavy armor. I am not sure CA would be willing to invest the charlemagens here for a FLC choice, so a DLC option to bring whatever might be missing for Ogre Kingdoms would be the more sound option.

Currently, there is just no way to tell. If OK come as PreOrder might be bad for Ghark. If OK race DLC, with 4 LL, I assume Greasus & Skragg are set. So Golgfag & Ghark could easily be the other half. Or someone else instead of Ghark and Ghark could still show up as later addition bringing Rhinox cav with him. But so far TK & Vampirates had no LL additions so *meh*. in the end I rather see Ghark Ironskin then Bragg or some new CA invention.

-----Red Dox

I myself hope that the existence of Rhinox Riders makes Ghark a possibility (if we were to get an OK campaign pack, he'd be my 4th) but I can't deny that if Ogres are the preorder, we may not even see Rhinox Riders. I certainly hope we do, they'd be relatively easy as you pointed out and CA tends to like "flashy" units, but an OK preorder would be pushing the budget already.

• SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 2,173
    Honestly, for the Ogres, I am kinda expecting three Legendary Lords on launch because I feel like Greasus will be in the base game.

If I had to pick two, Greasus and Skrag are the absolute necessities.

Golfag Maneater is an amazing character who really is representative of an important aspect of Ogres, but if I had to leave one character out, it would be him.

Personally, my hope is for Golfag, Greasus, and Skrag to be part of the Pre-order.

I think there is hope for Ghark Ironskin as an FLC with the Chaos Dwarfs.
    Ghark would be a fair bit of work, but the latest FLC's have lots of work put into them. So, it's a maybe for Ghark.

Maybe FLC LH Bragg the Gutsman as he doesn't really lead armies.

After those five, there's not a major Ogre character left out.

• TheRabidOgreTheRabidOgre Registered Users Posts: 29
    edited July 3
    Rolf1989 said:

I might have missed something, but couldn't the ogre mercenaries just be (some of) the units for the placeholder ogrefactions until the campaign pack arrives? Why do everybody think they are the preorder?
    But if they are and only two LL, it would break my heart. All three are essential. Goldfag is my favourite, and the least likely to be included if they stick to two LL's

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you why the article completely switched my opinion from "ogres aren't coming for a long time" to "they're the pre-order after all." It's by no means definitive evidence (and I'm perfectly ready to be wrong), but it comes down to these two quotes from the mercenary article:
    And what better possible way is there to bid farewell to the New World and WARHAMMER II than with brutal warriors adventuring far from their home in the north-eastern reaches, far beyond the realms of the Empire and Kislev, near the mysterious lands of Cathay? This taster, a mere morsel of what might lie in their Kingdom, is available through Total War Access, along with a host of other content for WARHAMMER II.

This one, including calling it a taster, is worded like the ogre mercenary units double as part of the previews for Warhammer III. We know Ogre Kingdoms are supposed to be coming for it eventually either way, but it would seem a little strange for this to be a preview for some far off future DLC when the game isn't out yet and there's plenty to still reveal about its release. If it had just reminded us that the ogres were from the Warhammer III region, like the first part of that paragraph, it would have been one thing, but it goes on to specifically call it a taste of their Kingdom.
    Feast with them, drink with them, pay them well, and maybe they will spin you a tale – one of the mysterious East, of new realms of conquest, of Daemon armies clashing, headed by terrible creatures. Of the Maw, and its insatiable hunger, and the legends that tell of a way to finally sate it…

This, again, starts off by teasing the elements of Warhammer III we already know before specifically tying the ogres into it. I've seen it discussed before that the ogres don't have the stake the other revealed armies have in the war between mortals and Chaos as a reason they wouldn't be in at launch, but this introduces the idea that the ogres might have a reason to get involved due to a secret about the Maw. This implies that the ogres already have a story at launch and don't need to wait for their own campaign to have a reason to be playable.

Historically speaking, this might be bad for the ogres. Optimistically speaking, what each category of DLC each game has gotten or what they have entailed has changed over the years. It's entirely possible that a Warhammer III pre-order Race Pack could be something amazing. If it's not and we get a reduced roster, I'd guess Golgfag to be the Lord to get a cut. He's iconic, but for the mercenary end of the ogres, not the Kingdom end. Greasus and Skrag cover the main two gluttony and Maw magic angles. Golgfag could still appear when it comes to however Warhammer III ends up handling this new mercenary mechanic, though, which I'm assuming we expect to see (I'm very under-informed about this series).
  • Prince_AlucardPrince_Alucard Registered Users Posts: 556
    Ideally none since I'd hope they'd at least have the three. But I think Golgfag would be the one left out and then added later if had to be one. But that feels a bit bizarre even because he is pretty well known and he fits pretty well with the merc type ogres.

If we got the three of them, Bragg as a LH at launch I'd be fine with that if the roster is pretty complete too. I can see that. Perhaps Ghark Ironskin as a flc later, with ties to the chaos dwarfs. That'd be pretty cool. I can't imagine Ogres not getting 4 LLs at some point, it'd be very bizarre.

Good news for chaos dwarf fans I suppose though, things are looking good for them as the campaign pack I'd say. I think at this point since part of the Ogre frontline is already partly out there, I could potentially see them as the preorder, I wish they'd just announce it, hopefully right after the dlc.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,280
    I doubt they'd launch with only 2LL they've acknowledged the sorry state of Norsca so I doubt they'd do it again.
  • Rolf1989Rolf1989 Registered Users Posts: 499

Rolf1989 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you why the article completely switched my opinion from "ogres aren't coming for a long time" to "they're the pre-order after all." It's by no means definitive evidence (and I'm perfectly ready to be wrong), but it comes down to these two quotes from the mercenary article:
    And what better possible way is there to bid farewell to the New World and WARHAMMER II than with brutal warriors adventuring far from their home in the north-eastern reaches, far beyond the realms of the Empire and Kislev, near the mysterious lands of Cathay? This taster, a mere morsel of what might lie in their Kingdom, is available through Total War Access, along with a host of other content for WARHAMMER II.

This one, including calling it a taster, is worded like the ogre mercenary units double as part of the previews for Warhammer III. We know Ogre Kingdoms are supposed to be coming for it eventually either way, but it would seem a little strange for this to be a preview for some far off future DLC when the game isn't out yet and there's plenty to still reveal about its release. If it had just reminded us that the ogres were from the Warhammer III region, like the first part of that paragraph, it would have been one thing, but it goes on to specifically call it a taste of their Kingdom.
    Feast with them, drink with them, pay them well, and maybe they will spin you a tale – one of the mysterious East, of new realms of conquest, of Daemon armies clashing, headed by terrible creatures. Of the Maw, and its insatiable hunger, and the legends that tell of a way to finally sate it…

This, again, starts off by teasing the elements of Warhammer III we already know before specifically tying the ogres into it. I've seen it discussed before that the ogres don't have the stake the other revealed armies have in the war between mortals and Chaos as a reason they wouldn't be in at launch, but this introduces the idea that the ogres might have a reason to get involved due to a secret about the Maw. This implies that the ogres already have a story at launch and don't need to wait for their own campaign to have a reason to be playable.

Historically speaking, this might be bad for the ogres. Optimistically speaking, what each category of DLC each game has gotten or what they have entailed has changed over the years. It's entirely possible that a Warhammer III pre-order Race Pack could be something amazing. If it's not and we get a reduced roster, I'd guess Golgfag to be the Lord to get a cut. He's iconic, but for the mercenary end of the ogres, not the Kingdom end. Greasus and Skrag cover the main two gluttony and Maw magic angles. Golgfag could still appear when it comes to however Warhammer III ends up handling this new mercenary mechanic, though, which I'm assuming we expect to see (I'm very under-informed about this series).
    Hey man, thank you! I have to agree, it doesn't bode too well, and I also agree that Goldfag won't make the cut if we end up with an ogre preorder.
    Oh well, here's to hoping it all goes well in the end :)
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,588
    I refuse to vote on that poll. It is an insult to the thicc boys. We will not be getting them as preorder!!!! It has been foretold
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,067
    I highly doubt they'd have 2 long term, even in the worst case of them starting with 2. If that occurs then CA should treat them like the other major cores.

That said the obvious choice is Greasus and Skrag. The most dominant Ogre and the Butcher Ogre.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• TheWattmanTheWattman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    I would cut Golgfag in the sense of making him a hero instead. Thereby freeing up a spot for Braugh Slavelord in the 4-lord race pack next to Greasus, Skrag and Ghark.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 3,536
    Ghark or riot.

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,183

WoC had three lords...
    They did, but only two were created on the budget of the preorder: Kholek and Sigvald. Archaon was always going to be in the game, the preorder just made him playable.

It was the same situation with Louen in Bretonnia.
    Also, Sigvald is really ugly. And Alberic desperately need a reskin and an actual voice-over ! Poor boy is the cheapest lord ever done !
  • SagezSagez Registered Users Posts: 183
    Read posts by @xBlood_Raven and it's clear that there is no problem.

I might add that even 6 LLs are doable but many people won't like it.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,577
    edited July 3
    Sagez said:

Read posts by @xBlood_Raven and it's clear that there is no problem.

I might add that even 6 LLs are doable but many people won't like it.

I think they would sooner make a lord pack later down the line, if they wanted to do 6.

The issue with that many LLs is, well... which one is sixth? Skrag, Golgfag, Greasus, Ghark and Braugh? I would guess Bragg would be an LH.

Tbh, they could just make a CA invented Ogre Hunter character at that point. Jhared the Red should remain a lore name, he's the originator of the tradition.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT