Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Small nitpick, but the "Pale Death" is...anything but pale...

GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,305

It's either a blue-ish purple or a green-ish purple. Either way, both a very bright fruity flavoured dino.

Not saying the sound, model, and animation isn't pretty good, because they are. But...why can't they be white?

Comments

• KirGeoKirGeo Registered Users Posts: 886
    Pale isn't Albino. Is the skin shade lighter than other green/purple dinos?
    We want all the factions Dogs of War, Araby, Ind, Kuresh, Nippon, Hobgoblin Khanate. Milk us CA.
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    In the artwork they show in the video start that Troglodon is Pale (or light green)
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,085
    I think there maybe an issue with having units too pale as CA didn't follow original paint jobs for other originally pale or white units.

I'm sure they're not doing it to be annoying.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,818
    edited July 5
    On the one hand I'm not a big lore grognard, but on the other it does seem really weird to flip things around like this.

If I had to guess, I'd say part of it was that the white unit probably looked awful when fighting on certain terrain (snowy environments come to mind) or under certain lighting conditions.

I do like the colorful dino models too (there's even a mod that gives the carnosaurs more variety, its quite cool).

I could see them making most of them pale and the RoR colorful, but given the above considerations, I'd say gameplay trumps aesthetics in this case.

Speaking of which, I really hope that they do a once-over of the UI and make sure things are visible under every set of circumstances.

Inappropriate(language) Image removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,818
    Blaced said:

In the artwork they show in the video start that Troglodon is Pale (or light green)

Putting on my nerd cap, there's a whole thing with "pale" and "light green".

From a different website:

"The color of Death's horse is written as khlōros in the original Koine Greek, which can mean either green/greenish-yellow or pale/pallid, hence, The Pale Horse. The color is often translated as "pale", though "ashen", "pale green", and "yellowish green are other possible interpretations (the Greek word is the root of "chlorophyll" and "chlorine"). Based on uses of the word in ancient Greek medical literature, several scholars suggest that the color reflects the sickly pallor of a corpse. In some modern artistic depictions, the horse is distinctly green."

Not... technically relevant... sort of kind of... but I could see why they went with greenish.
  • FonRestorffFonRestorff Registered Users Posts: 435
    It's pale but not albino. I guess most expected albino. I like the look.
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,246

Agreed. Pale isn't white, pale green as in someone who's sick in cartoons would be coloured is actually fine.
  • MattockMattock Registered Users Posts: 642

It's clear in art work and the official model licture that it's either white or very very pale green.

Would be great of they made it much paler, it's too bright right now.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 629
    Yeah, older GW material makes the intent clear.

They live underground. They're meant to be albino, just like real cave salamanders.

• AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,822
    Pale Death will be a RoR
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,305

Pale Death will be a RoR

Pale Death in game is just blue
    MiniaAr said:

Agreed. Pale isn't white, pale green as in someone who's sick in cartoons would be coloured is actually fine.
    But the Troglodon in lore and TT is pretty explicitly white with purple accents
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,305
    edited July 5
    Sephlock said:

On the one hand I'm not a big lore grognard, but on the other it does seem really weird to flip things around like this.

If I had to guess, I'd say part of it was that the white unit probably looked awful when fighting on certain terrain (snowy environments come to mind) or under certain lighting conditions.

I do like the colorful dino models too (there's even a mod that gives the carnosaurs more variety, its quite cool).

I could see them making most of them pale and the RoR colorful, but given the above considerations, I'd say gameplay trumps aesthetics in this case.

Speaking of which, I really hope that they do a once-over of the UI and make sure things are visible under every set of circumstances.

This might be the reason. Poor Nakai
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 4,774
    They're supposed to be white (and blind) because they live in the utter darkness of subterranean caves. It makes no sense for them to be green.
  • Prince_AlucardPrince_Alucard Registered Users Posts: 556
    edited July 5
    Sephlock said:

That's what I thought too is maybe the white just would've looked bad. Like I know that sounds stupid, but if they made him white they would've had to make him more of a greyish white like Gor Rok. Though that would've been fine with me. But yes, I'd imagine it's hard to do like a super white like with the models without looking awful.

I do hope that the mods that make it white look good too. Not that I care about Nakai being white, but the mods that made Nakai white looked rather hmmm....
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,498
    Woulda looked fine being white with some purple or grey tinge. How it should be.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 629

That's what I thought too is maybe the white just would've looked bad.

It definitely would have looked bad. I mean, just look at this thing!

But it's supposed to look bad.

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,936

That's what I thought too is maybe the white just would've looked bad.

It definitely would have looked bad. I mean, just look at this thing!

But it's supposed to look bad.
    Olms are cute.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!