Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

heroes in the fall of the samurai

dylboy900dylboy900 Junior MemberPosts: 11Registered Users
edited March 2012 in Total War: Shogun 2
Hi all
I have a question. Will there be any heroes in the new fall of the samurai? I really hope there will be.
Post edited by dylboy900 on

Comments

• vapera29vapera29 Member Posts: 80Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    What about a Gatling gun warrior monk hero?:D
  • dylboy900dylboy900 Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    that would be good, no but seriously will there be heroes?
  • vapera29vapera29 Member Posts: 80Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Sorry i got no clue, but i am sure one of the top blokes on this forum will know. But i cant see heroes working very well when most armies will be full of matchlock ashigaru or something similar.
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Heroes had no role and this period of war. A man trained with a rifle for just 2 hours could without any problems kill a man that had spend 20 years of his life dedicated to training with a katana/yari/yumi. The new weapons made the old fighting technichs obselute, just as a knight in Europe quickly became obsolute when muskets was introduced. It could without problems penetrate their very expensive armor and kill them, and the soldier firing the gun needed minimal training.
    I actually think Kate talked about this in the newest trailer released about the game.

However if we see some of the old melee-fighting units in game, we might see a hero unit. However I really doubt it as a single platoon with rifles could kill an entire unit of heroes in just 1 volley.

[sarcasm]

Edit: I forgot! We will of course have a Tom Cruise hero unit! How could I forget?

[/sarcasm]
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • NoodleMeisterNoodleMeister Senior Member Posts: 242Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    [sarcasm]

Edit: I forgot! We will of course have a Tom Cruise hero unit! How could I forget?

[/sarcasm]

OH LOL YEAH... seriously though, don't even start :P I've had enough seeing this very same thing on every single FotS video on Youtube...

No, heroes would definitively find themselves in the wrong place here... Skill might let you defeat 100 opponents with swords drawn... but no skill can change the fact that a bullet will pierce through whatever armor he might be wearing, and also smash his innards into spaghetti should he be really unlucky...

And to what Kate said, it was something like: "Instead of relying on expert swordsmen and people you have very few of, you can train ANYBODY to fire a Gatling gun". :P
    "The will to conquer all else outside your own self. That is, ambition in its purest form."

Gatling gun monks were already introduced in the original Shogun 2... oh well they were nerfed however... now they are just ordinary matchlocks..

true+story.JPG
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.
  • RagingCroppyRagingCroppy Senior Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Are the traditional samurai units in this game just copies of the sengoku units? Or are they new models? If they just use the old ones I see no reason why they can’t have the old hero units as well, if only to make it more dramatic when they are mowed down by the Gatling guns.
  • MrBoBo1MrBoBo1 Senior Member Posts: 441Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Tom Cruise will convert provinces to scientology. The end movie will be something along these lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3qu-sCei3U
  • MustachewarfareMustachewarfare Senior Member Posts: 1,090Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    vapera29 wrote: »
    Yes with Whistling round to make enemy even route faster lol

Hopefully we shouldn't see hero units... It will be really odd to see something like that in this time period where gun will just kill them at ease.
  • jam_fc@hotmail.co.ukjam_fc@hotmail.co.uk Senior Member Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    It is said that ALL units from shogun 2 will be usable in FOTS if you own it, so I think they will be in.
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    ^^Source?
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

• ShinyShiny Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Mh. how about some foreign units as hero-units ? 22. U.S. Navy Bataillon....wait.. please not, I'm kinda tired of "hero" Americans...I'm still sad that there won't be German units...everytime when Germans are in a game, the are the evil...but hey, thats off topic.all in all : Foreign units could be heroes, because they are more experienced with rifles.
  • ArcanumArcanum Senior Member Posts: 301Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Shiny wrote: »
    I'm kinda tired of "hero" Americans...I'm still sad that there won't be German units...everytime when Germans are in a game, the are the evil...

Well, you can feel better because they would not the "good guy" heroes, they'd just kill faster :D I'd rather like to see some kind of Prussian sharpshooters or something as well.

But, I'm kinda sad that at this point in history the units like katana and yari heroes are obsolete. It makes me wince to think of them charging and then 1 volley later 3/4 of them are dead on the ground. I am curious to see what, if any, hero units do make an appearance. Cannon heroes anyone?
    Ave Dominus Nox.
  • NobodyNobody Senior Member Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Arcanum wrote: »
    Cannon heroes anyone?
    That might be the player now with the ability to take over the aiming of cannons and gatling guns weapons.
  • Hudson_SavageHudson_Savage Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I read this:
    vapera29 wrote: »

Then I went and did this:
    monkhero-sml.jpg
    Bigger

Sorry it's a bit scruffy, I really need to get back to (stop avoiding) work.
    edited March 2012
    edited March 2012
    I read this:

http://www.visit-dengistan.com/ImgHost/monkhero-sml.jpg
    Bigger

Wow. Nice work man!

• ShinyShiny Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I read this:

monkhero-sml.jpg
    Bigger

Unit Size ? small : 1/1, medium : 1/1, high: 1/1, ultra: 1/1..... all you need to increase is ammo :D
  • ArcanumArcanum Senior Member Posts: 301Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I read this:

monkhero-sml.jpg
    Bigger

......... More?
    Ave Dominus Nox.
    edited March 2012
    I read this:

/.../
    Bigger

OMG that's so cool xP I'd order a print on this and put in on my wall if I could... I guess I can but I'm lazy and greedy :P Though it'd been totally worth the money X)

Gatling gun warrior monk hero:
    "From ancient times, the souls of those enlightened by Bishamonten would manifest themselves on the battlefield, taking the form of beasts that would make their enemies tremble in fear of their might and power. In the warring times of today, though his warcry may not reach the ears of his enemies, the roar of his weapon, fierce as the dragon, surely will."

Unit strenght: 1
    Melee Attack: 12
    Melee Defense: 9
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: 15
    Reload Skill: 1337
    Accuracy: 85
    Range: 275
    Armor: 6
    Ammo: N/A (Unlimited POWAAAH)

olol :P Seriously, send an application to CA asking for a 'not so historically accurate' unit to make an appearace in a future DLC... I'd seriously pay 9,99 Euros just to see one of these mow down 500 units by himself :P
    "The will to conquer all else outside your own self. That is, ambition in its purest form."

I actually had a blast doing this and have same fun ideas for something to do this weekend. Since some of you also seem to get a kick out of this stupidity I have some homework for you.

The theme is: Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai: Heroes of the Shogunate DLC
    The Cigar chomping chaingun monk is in, but I need two (max three) more awesome\ridiculous ideas to complete my ultimate tag team of Boshin era badasses. Bonus points will be awarded for anything based on a historical figure who fought for the Shogunate\Ezo Republic (Hijikata To****o, Jules Brunet, Nakano Takeko) I do want someone dual wielding shoulder mounted wooden cannons though.

I'll put my favourites into some sort of slightly more polished thing this weekend (posted by next Monday) If I don't see enough good ideas by Sat though I'm just going to make up something mental like a Kotetsu\Godzilla mashup (OK I'm doing that anyway, you can't stop me.)

You have been warned.
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    MORE?!... OK :)

I actually had a blast doing this and have same fun ideas for something to do this weekend. Since some of you also seem to get a kick out of this stupidity I have some homework for you.

The theme is: Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai: Heroes of the Shogunate DLC
    The Cigar chomping chaingun monk is in, but I need two (max three) more awesome\ridiculous ideas to complete my ultimate tag team of Boshin era badasses. Bonus points will be awarded for anything based on a historical figure who fought for the Shogunate\Ezo Republic (Hijikata To****o, Jules Brunet, Nakano Takeko) I do want someone dual wielding shoulder mounted wooden cannons though.

I'll put my favourites into some sort of slightly more polished thing this weekend (posted by next Monday) If I don't see enough good ideas by Sat though I'm just going to make up something mental like a Kotetsu\Godzilla mashup (OK I'm doing that anyway, you can't stop me.)

You have been warned.

That is way too epic. *Bows*
    edited March 2012
    Ok! But why does it only have to be Shogunate heroes?
    I mean, we could have Saigô Takamori wielding an Armstrong Gun with his bare hands :P

EDIT: ...or even better, let him wield the Armstrong in ONE hand, and then a no-dachi/ôdachi in the other... :D

since we have the gatling gun monk, who has big attack, we need a unit with high defense
  • Hudson_SavageHudson_Savage Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Ok! But why does it only have to be Shogunate heroes?

Why? because you can then release a separate Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Heroes of the Emperor DLC pack for additional monetisation $:p$, your lack of good business sense aside these are all good ideas. Keep it up.
  • eaglekelly84eaglekelly84 Senior Member Posts: 100Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    On topic:

In the single player Shogun 2, heroes were one-per-faction capped, with deep investment in the arts and building trees required for their production. They were taken as much for their inspirational abilities for other units, as for their personal skills. In the new game, the most powerful units will likely be the foreign marines, and foreign-built ironclads. These will be based on superior training and weaponry rather than Bushido-type personal skills. Presumably, there will be diplomatic requirements in addition to technology and building requirements, and a limitation on their recruitment numbers as well.
    [PORTABLE-ID]eaglekelly[/PORTABLE-ID]
    edited March 2012
    /... and a limitation on their recruitment numbers as well.
    Then I guess the Warrior... which we know will be in the game, should be capped at 2 ships? Since they only built 2 ships of that class, HMS Warrior and HMS Black Prince... Or simply because of it's incredible size, maybe just one...

Back to the heroes again though, that Kotetsu/Godzilla crossover should have the ram as a helmet over its head, the smokestack and the steam engine itself on its back, cannons and stuff on its chest and some gatlings on its hands/fingers even :P
    Then I guess the Warrior... which we know will be in the game, should be capped at 2 ships? Since they only built 2 ships of that class, HMS Warrior and HMS Black Prince... Or simply because of it's incredible size, maybe just one...

Back to the heroes again though, that Kotetsu/Godzilla crossover should have the ram as a helmet over its head, the smokestack and the steam engine itself on its back, cannons and stuff on its chest and some gatlings on its hands/fingers even :P
    Stopped being funny a whole page ago stop talking about it and get on topic.
    edited March 2012

I like this post, it was quite funny.
  • TheGermanTheGerman Senior Member Posts: 121Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I can't picture the Shogun 2 concept of a hero unit but a much more Napoleon/Empire TW elitist unit especially with foreign forces in the game