Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Indirect firing Gaze attacks, lob your Eyeballs like a mortar?

OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 6,711
Indirect firing Gaze attacks, lob your Eyeballs like a mortar? What? CA really doesn't care anymore do they?

Comments

• OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 6,711
    Min 2:50 if your wondering where he talks about it.
  • Darthplagueis13Darthplagueis13 Registered Users Posts: 805
    "she felt a great overreaction. The Hydra tore her eyes from her head and threw them into the forest."
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 918
    I've never recruited Medusas in my campaigns because of LoS problems. Now I will include them, for me it is a great change.

I bet CA seen statistics of people actually taking Medusas in their armies and decided that gameplay indeed matters more than lore.

Your disappointment is completely understandable though, magic mortar like spells are not what Medusas are described to do in the TT.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,581
    That's some Drukhari level tech.
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 1,103
    thank god that they added the lob attack
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,183
    It's a good compromise, Maedusas being unable to fire through her own frontline was much worse from both a gameplay and a lore standpoint
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,250
    That's some mad gaze, will stalk you even if you put an obstacle in between lol.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Maelas said:

It's a good compromise, Maedusas being unable to fire through her own frontline was much worse from both a gameplay and a lore standpoint

False, it's another step towards dumbing the game down and removing the need for proper positioning. It's also yet another buff to ranged firepower.

It's complete and utter horsecrap, that's what it is.
  • elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 1,219
    edited July 8
    Wasn't 10x better to increase her range? If i remember correctly, her ranged attack wasn't great neither against infantry nor single entities, it was just really fast (something i liked since it was more "unique" compared to other DE ranged attacks). The issue was that all this speed was basically useless at 125 range and most of the times (in camp) i had to manually create killing zones for medusas to work decently (which is never a good sign).

Still, big deal, the world isn't gonna end if CA don't work in the exact way i want to.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,972

Maelas said:

False, it's another step towards dumbing the game down and removing the need for proper positioning. It's also yet another buff to ranged firepower.

Agreed.

Positioning and maneuver don't matter much in this game other than just "be higher up"... and now? Even that is being removed. Not to sound like an old man, but it used to matter a lot more in older TW games.
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,851
    edited July 8
    At 5:20 in the video you can see it in action. It looks kinda stupid, not gonna lie.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,087
    Can't people like, I don't know, learn to position their units?

Use that brain of theirs? Move their units around? Or are most people too dumb to understand that concept nowadays?
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,430

Can't people like, I don't know, learn to position their units?

Use that brain of theirs? Move their units around? Or are most people too dumb to understand that concept nowadays?

Medusa needed help but this was not it. This is dumb. Peclis level of dumb

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• joproulx99joproulx99 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,342
    I mean I wont lose sleep over it...but why?

If cannons who are immobile and literally stuck at ground level with no LoS 50% of the time are still cannons, why is the medusa on a "tall" enough body and better LoS get a "mortar" treatment?

At least if she had this coming from the staff as a secondary long range attacks and still have her gaze attack at close range it would be better, no?
    "Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times

Maelas said:

I agree that if there's a wall or something between the Maedusa and her target, and she can still mortar shot them, it's silly.

But there was nothing worse than having your 4 meters tall snake lady being unable to shoot because she's behind an elf with a hat a bit too pointy. In this occasion, I'd rather have her use weird mortar firing arcs that the game going "she don't feel like rising herself an inch higher so she won't shoot"
    g
    Maelas said:

Maelas said:

I agree that if there's a wall or something between the Maedusa and her target, and she can still mortar shot them, it's silly.

But there was nothing worse than having your 4 meters tall snake lady being unable to shoot because she's behind an elf with a hat a bit too pointy. In this occasion, I'd rather have her use weird mortar firing arcs that the game going "she don't feel like rising herself an inch higher so she won't shoot"
    Maybe they could ughh... Just improve LoS... You know actually fix something in the game not do this patch job BS.
    Maelas said:

Maelas said:

Issue is those elf with a bit-too-pointy hat are most likely fighting other dudes around the elf's height or lower.

Either way that was hardly ever an issue anyways, why? Because I select the Medusa, right click her to a better position, and then proceeded shooting again.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,522
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,972
    Nyxilis said:

Hahahahahaha!

Touché.
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    edited July 9

Maelas said:

False.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,968
    It does feel like, at best, it's a crude bandaid solution to a problem that could have a number of more satisfying implementations. Including recognising from the fluff that Bloodwrack Medusae don't really care if their gaze ends up hurting their own "allies" (that's part of the reason for the mirror on the shrine, after all - the Dark Elves want to make sure the medusa isn't looking back at them), so if you point them at a unit that's in melee they'll happily fire straight at it without caring if this hits allies or not.

Maybe make a mechanic for them called "Life is Cheap" and give it to skaven ranged units too.
    OdTengri said:

g

Maelas said:

Maelas said:

Maybe they could ughh... Just improve LoS... You know actually fix something in the game not do this patch job BS.
    Oh I entirely agree, but LoS is kind of Siege AI. I expect them to still be broken 10 games from now !
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,900
    Definitely a band-aid solution to the Medusa problem. Her direct fire rapid shot had a lot of problems. It was too short range, it often just punched straight through an infantry target killing only 1-3 models, didn't fire quickly or with enough punch to knock over monsters, etc. My biggest problem with it was the lead. If an infantry target was moving in any direction, stopped or switched direction, the Medusa would fire at where she thought the target should be. Often times just burying a shot harmlessly in front of her target because the shot itself came out too quickly to course correct properly. She'd overcorrect for any change.

So yes, just giving it a comfortable arc is the easiest way to make her more reliable, even if she loses a ittle flair because of it.
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 1,103
    It did not make sense that medusa (and others like bone giant who is even taller) cant shoot an entire infantry unit that is right in front of them because there is an allied infantry unit between.

For example:
    .............. ..............|

Why on earth cant the | (medusa/bone giant) shoot the middle/back row of the infantry (......)??
    It cant see the first few men but it can see a solid 70% of the entire infantry unit.

You can try this in manual battle for yourself - its ridiculous.
    A lot of tall monster archers have clear line of fire but because they cant see a small % of an infantry unit they refuse to fire.

I agree lob fire is not a great solution but CA is very lazy and cheap which is pathetic considering this is their flagship money making product.
    They will either do the cheapest solution or NO solution at all...
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
    Draxynnic said:

It does feel like, at best, it's a crude bandaid solution to a problem that could have a number of more satisfying implementations. Including recognising from the fluff that Bloodwrack Medusae don't really care if their gaze ends up hurting their own "allies" (that's part of the reason for the mirror on the shrine, after all - the Dark Elves want to make sure the medusa isn't looking back at them), so if you point them at a unit that's in melee they'll happily fire straight at it without caring if this hits allies or not.

Maybe make a mechanic for them called "Life is Cheap" and give it to skaven ranged units too.

Also don't you have to be looking back at the Medusa.... Like if she's staring at the back of your head her gaze isn't going to effect you.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 8,549
    How's it get blocked by infantry when its taller than them tho?
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM
    Amonkhet said:

How's it get blocked by infantry when its taller than them tho?

Because the target is probably as short or shorter than the blocking infantry