Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Finally good Horde mechanics

VandicusVandicus Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 321
The adoption of TK-like mechanics and a special currency for Horde cap upgrades should be adopted going forward for other hordes. Namely Warriors of Chaos. Getting stronger by fighting is the way to go.

Hordes finally feel like hordes. Being able to block resettlement is also an essential feature to avoid playing whack-a-mole and truly burn down the world Chaos style.

Implementation probably needs some balancing but the general principles are finally there after years of attempts.

Comments

• zagumaarzagumaar Registered Users Posts: 81
    I agree with you but I think they made a mistake giving beastmen movement bonus when they raze a settlement, it makes it really hard for the ai to catch you if you can go hidden after razing. This is really overpowered I think and makes the campaign very easy.
    It is still better than before but ca buffed them too much.
    Can't wait to see what they will do with warriors of chaos tough.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    They are no longer hordes, the Herdstones and razed regions count as your territory.

So you lose money if they get raided and can establish trade agreements.
    It is still a horde faction since losing all your herdstones doesn't make you lose
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    zagumaar said:

It is still a horde faction since losing all your herdstones doesn't make you lose

Losing all your settlements also doesn't make you lose for any other faction.
    It does after 10 turns
  • AsamuAsamu Registered Users Posts: 1,233
    The mechanics are good, though as has been brought up elsewhere, Beastmen are probably too easy on campaign right now, and could be toned down a bit.

Having so much recruitment with free units that cost no upkeep means you really aren't punished for losing battles, and don't have to worry about your economy. The only things to spend money on are buildings and items/followers. The campaign could probably do with at least a recruitment cost for units, even if it's a reduced one.
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 969
    I'm loving what I'm playing, there are some issues but I think after completing the campaigns I'm doing I will have a better basis to say, and i go create a new topic of sugestions.

My impressions so far is that, apart from the reduced difficulty, the Beastmen campaign is currently the most fun in the game.
    The armies are very malleable and it is possible to change a good part of it from one turn to the other, added to a more optimized construction chain, this generates the two things that make me find this faction the best today:
    -Ability to try more things, I think I've recruited all possible units at least once, even just one just to get a taste of the gameplay.
    -ability to easily adapt armies to atual enemies.

I would 100% recommend Beastmen to any player.

The biggest problem in my opinion is elite unit recruitment, recruiting 10 ungors in one turn is OK.
    But recruiting a lot of elite in one turn makes it too easy.

Elite units should consume more recruiting spaces, for example.
    Ungors should cost 1 space, bestgors 3 or 4.

recruiting in just one turn is OK, but the real problem I see is recruiting too many elite units too quickly, it's a power boom when the player starts rebuilding a lost army.
    The chaos situation prevents me from enjoying or having the hype for the game, and without chaos nothing else matters, CA didn't do a good job and I won't buy this game, it's not worth my money.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 8,785
    The basis is good; but it needs balancing and a slow down. You shouldn't reach your peak as a Horde earlier than a settled faction.

Also, I'm hoping these improved Tomb Kings features that Beastmen and Dwarves got can be kicked back to Tomb Kings in game three.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM
  • aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 977
    Really, really good implementation. After this and the WE I think it's fair to say CA have figured out how to make non-imperial gameplay fun in the TW setting. I think the premise for pacing is great with having to accrue the currency to get powerful unit capacity or agents.

On the otherside of things, like Grom, Sisters, and Throt, they're very, very powerful. Maybe the cost for unit/hero capacities can be adjusted slightly according to difficulty to slow the player down on VH/L. Or the amount of marks of ruination for each level could be increased. Or both.

Another small complaint is the horde building tree. There is very little reason to fill out your horde. Buildings are expensive to upgrade and you aren't getting much for doing so. Best to just get the building that produces the unit you're focusing as well as the currency one, maybe a hero one in certain hordes and forget about everything else. There should be something that makes you or encourages you to get these buildings. Maybe some relevant RoR could be unlocked this way. Maybe something currency related.

That's about it. Excellent experience. Probably a top 4 race for me now.
  • Buzzinfr0gBuzzinfr0g Registered Users Posts: 42
    Vandicus said:

The adoption of TK-like mechanics and a special currency for Horde cap upgrades should be adopted going forward for other hordes. Namely Warriors of Chaos.

I’d imagine Warriors of Chaos will be getting a massive overhaul come game 3. It’d be interesting if by playing as a chaos faction you battled against the other chaos factions and upon defeating them a champion of your faction’s deity was recruited. You’d then invaded the mortal realms as chaos undivided with access to all chaos units.
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 2,177
    edited July 2021
    Vandicus said:

The adoption of TK-like mechanics and a special currency for Horde cap upgrades should be adopted going forward for other hordes. Namely Warriors of Chaos. Getting stronger by fighting is the way to go.

Hordes finally feel like hordes. Being able to block resettlement is also an essential feature to avoid playing whack-a-mole and truly burn down the world Chaos style.

Implementation probably needs some balancing but the general principles are finally there after years of attempts.

I've been thinking the same along them lines for Chaos. The new horde mechanics are really good, fun, and do give it the tools needed to keep strong, but mobile. Adding in the Ogre mercs was a nice touch and damn are they good.

For those who say it's too easy, play it on a harder difficulty, on legendary. It's a whole different beast and you need to be tactical and on the move, it truly is total war carnage.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    Kislev - from darkness to light.19/3

My steam workshop - mods.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,282
    edited July 2021
    Lucifer said:

Vandicus said:

I've been thinking the same along them lines for Chaos. The new horde mechanics are really good, fun, and do give it the tools needed to keep strong, but mobile. Adding in the Ogre mercs was a nice touch and damn are they good.

For those who say it's too easy, play it on a harder difficulty, on legendary. It's a whole different beast and you need to be tactical and on the move, it truly is total war carnage.
    For WoC or Beastmen?

Beastmen to me was face roll easy. WoC was easy for me too. There are so many buffs in campaign you end up gaining Walmart status because you're too big to fail.