Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Favorite Units

Pope Innocent IIIPope Innocent III Senior MemberPosts: 188Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Medieval II: Total War
My favorites in no particular order after #2:
1) Polish Nobles (Poland)
2) Aventuros (Porutgal)
3) Mounted Crossbowmen (many factions)
4) Aventurier (France)
5) Pikemen (many factions; though they look amazing in French colours)
6) Swiss Guard (Papal States)
7) Dismounted Dvor (Russia)

What are your favorites? If some faction has really cool units that I am not aware of I might give them a try.
Post edited by Pope Innocent III on
Fortune favors the audacious.

Comments

• Pope Innocent IIIPope Innocent III Senior Member Posts: 188Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Are they even better than the Portuguese Musketeers? In my only campaign as the Turks I turned down turn length so I could mess around and not have to deal with the Mongols. Thank gunpowder came in around turn 600 that campaign..
  • Karl von SachsenKarl von Sachsen Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Gothic Knights for thier good armour and all german units are very good.
    Norway, officially the Kingdom of Norway, is a Nordic unitary constitutional monarchy whose territory comprises the western portion of the Scandinavian Peninsula, Jan Mayen, the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard and the subantarctic Bouvet Island, Norway has a total area of 385,252 square kilometres (148,747 sq mi) and a population of about 5 million.
  • Acid_DrinkerAcid_Drinker Banned Posts: 2Banned Users
    edited March 2012
  • StevenOStevenO Senior Member Posts: 912Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I'm partial to the better Longbows and to the Hospitaller Knights although both are expensive.
    When it comes to cheaply maintained units I go for the Italian Spear Militia and Pavise Crossbow Militia.
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Dismounted Knights. And anything with a two-handed sword or axe. Also love those Danish pikemen, the armoured ones.
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
  • joegouvinjoegouvin Senior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    THe highland nobles are really cool.
    IN the Britain campaign I love the densi javelins.
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?
    edited March 2012
    I have never been a fan of javelins when the people are on foot. I play a lot of Portugal, but i guess i do not use them right. i feel like i always lose too many of them to enemy archers when i put them behind my spearmen or to knights when i try and flank with em.

@king rufus
    cant believe i forgot about those things. the upkeep kinda sucks on em, but by far my favorite mercenaries. wish they had a faster refresh rate tho..
  • joegouvinjoegouvin Senior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    @Pope Innocent
    I dont particularly like javs either, but the Densi Javs have the missile attack and a killer melee, especaily early and mid game in the BRitainaia campagin.
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?
    edited March 2012
    hmm. think i need to set my turn scale back to normal and actually play the turks then. i generally prefer the more medieval type combat, but after playing around with spanish dragoons i kinda enjoy musket units

@joegouvin
    ill give em a try, tho i generally only play the retrofit and KGCM and i dont believe they have that high of attack. i might be getting them confused with irish kerns tho
    edited March 2012
    i just hate their location. all the mountains make it take forever to move armies. but the Janissary units definately rock. massively negative k/d ratio against those guys. and their horse archers are nice. anything thats fast moving is the core of my army to take out knights or spearmen before my charge
    edited March 2012
    i tried to do that earlier, but i just didnt have the patience. maybe i need to give the game a day or 2 break. been playing too much lately
    edited March 2012
    nothing against CA, but i would advise staying away from shogun 2 if you are a big fan of M2TW. that game was a serious disappointment to me
  • EisenhartEisenhart Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I really like Naffatuns. Devastating and cheap.
    I came, I saw, I took a capture point.
    edited March 2012
    ive gotten them on my egypt campaigns, but i never actually did any battles with them. do they actually throw combustibles before gunpowder is discovered or was i able to get them thru some glitch in the game due to modded time scale?
  • EisenhartEisenhart Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Naffatuns use nahptha bombs and are not gunpowder units (although, they are as devastating as ones, or maybe even more) and therefore you can obtain them even before the discovery of gunpowder. You can start recruiting them once you have built Barracks in one of your fortresses.

If you have them (or can recruit them), utilise them, especially in defensive battles, like defending against siege. They do require a little bit of micromanagement, but it pays off (especially if you don't have any cavalry available). In order to be able to use them effectively, at the start of the battle disable the skirmish mode (and I would disable the fire at will mode too) and put them behind the main line. Once the enemy has been distracted (for example, the front lines have clashed) and there is no dangerous cavalry roaming around, flank your enemy with Naffatuns to give them a clear shot to the exposed backs of your enemy. After that, it's only a matter of time when the unit, unlucky enough to be bombarded by them, will start fleeing. You can keep them behind the main line during the whole battle, but it's not as effective and I believe it's more likely then that they will hit some of your own guys, as Naffatuns are not the best of snipers.

These guys are also very deadly when put on walls (in such situation, you can keep the skirmish and fire at will modes on). The only things to be mindful of, is to keep them out of melee (same goes for open field battles) and to move them away from sections of walls that are potential targets of your enemy's artillery (if he/she has it) as you would do with any other unit in such circumstances.

In short, combined with units that can hold a line or when put on walls, they become devastating. Further so, they have good morale and two units of Naffatuns face-to-face with a unit of Elephants and Elephant Artillery can make both of those rout (or run amorak) and ultimately defeat them. That's how effective they are.
    I came, I saw, I took a capture point.
    edited March 2012
    thanks man. next time i load up my egypt campaign im sure to have some fun. i believe there are a bunch of crusaders about to assault constantinople. Allah wills that they burn on their way to hell!
  • hopohopo Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    1. Naffatun (turk/egypt)
    2. Vardariotai (Byzantine)
    3. Adventurier (France)
    4. Varangian guard (Byz)
    5. Retinue Longbowmen (Eng)
    6. Armored Swords (Eng)
    7. Chivalric Knights (France)
    the units that get stuff done
    8. Saracen militia
    9. dis. feudal knights
    10. armored sergeants

as you might have guessed i have a soft spot for france and turks
    edited March 2012
    Forgot about the Vardariotai. I wasnt in love with horse archers since after my last byzantine campaign. gotta try those suckers out
  • hopohopo Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I didn't like them at first, but now I rate them highly, really useful for flanking and attacking slow moving units from the rear. You have to babysit them a fair bit, escpecially if you turn off autoretreat.
    edited March 2012
    I just wish they were effective against armor like mounted crossbowmen. I love those things because they can outrun a charge from heavy cavalry and are effective against armor. I usually keep a few of em in a army to take out enemy generals. Perhaps Vardariotai will work well due to their high missile attack and speed of bows over crossbows
  • DreagonDreagon Senior Member Posts: 521Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Every HRE unit (Ja mein Kaiser!)
    (Dismounted) Ritterbruder, they look awesome.
    greek firethrowers, nothing is more fun then defending a bridge with 2 or 3 of these guys.
    My Total War wishlist:

1: Reformation: Total War
    2: Victoria: Total War
    3: Dark Age: Total War
  • TheImperatorofRomeTheImperatorofRome Senior Member Posts: 556Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Elephant Artillery....come on. who doesnt like spamming 20 elephants with cannons on there backs then blowing great big holes in anything that gets in front of them!
    Dismounted Knights (England) are pretty boss too...and Highland Nobles.
  • Sacred BandSacred Band Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Reiters. Simply devastating. Almost nothing can beat them with their power, mobility and firepower.
    "Winner knows the means to victory, loser the explanations"
    edited March 2012
    I'm not familiar with Reiters, what faction gets them?
  • Timarli SipahiTimarli Sipahi Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I'm not familiar with Reiters, what faction gets them?
    late era unit for Germans. they are pistol and spear cavalry
    edited March 2012
    Holy Roman Empire. It's pretty high on the tech-tree so it may take a while. Well good things are worth waiting:)
    edited March 2012
    spear/pistol? that is a unique combination. i liked my campaign of HRE, but I just found them to be too easy, at least in my campaign. Think im fairly close to the discovery of gunpowder in that game so i can at least give em a chance.

thanks!
    edited March 2012
    You'll get to love them when you are just circling dismounted feudalknights and shooting pistols to their back. Armor ain't so fancy anymore, eh? They're also pretty tough in melee if things get serious.
  • Gordon003Gordon003 Senior Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I love longbowman. There're really useful to me in England campaign because my foot soldier kept losing the battle against the rebel:(
    edited March 2012
    longbowmen are pretty awesome, but i find the english to be too easy. you can have control of the british isles in like 14 turns and from there it only gets easier. im playing the Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod and it has Welsh Longbowmen (Saethwyr) are so much better. They have the same offensive stats as longbowmen, but 2 more overall defense, you can get them from a bowyer, and most of all, you get 150 of them instead of 120 (on largest unit stack settings)! my main army consisted of over 1k archers, some heavily armoured spearmen to stand in front, and a full command/dread general. by the time the english, scottish, or irish even got close they were at 1/3-1/2 units and would route once my general got near due to his dread. jesus, that was a fun campaign!