Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tilea summarized

sykallsykall Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,053
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a small shout-out to this video. It contains a nice summary of the historic and geographic qualities of our favorite non-italy. It also draws attention to areas of Tilea, which are not currently present on the map, but could be interesting additions.

I do not have the means to double check if most of his claims are loreful, but I find the quality of this presentation intrueging. And it reminded me how dearly I would love see the Southern Realms explored in the way they deserve. So whilst I have the gnawing fear that the Southern Realms may become a second Araby, I still whish to see them implemented offically ingame.

After all there is so much fresh wind the Southern Realms could provide for the warhammer setting at large, and many potential gameplay elements for them in TWW3. And I dearly hope, that we will see a resurgance of them with the upcoming Old World.

Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting

Comments

• MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,419
    Always great to see more history about Tilea. It's an interesting country and I'd love to play as it via a Dogs of War faction.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 1,296
    The2ndOne has only made two videos, but that one on Tilea and the below one on The Darklands are both absolutely fantastic, and must-watch for fans of the setting:

• KirGeoKirGeo Registered Users Posts: 895
    Proud to be one of the 679 subscribers. Puts a decent amount of research in his videos.
    We want all the factions Dogs of War, Araby, Ind, Kuresh, Nippon, Hobgoblin Khanate. Milk us CA.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,053

The2ndOne has only made two videos, but that one on Tilea and the below one on The Darklands are both absolutely fantastic, and must-watch for fans of the setting:

Oh yes the badlands video is also totally worth a watch. But I have heard other sources about them before, and I never seen the history/geography of a minor location luke tilea explored in such depth before.

I wish GW would discover the potential of the world they created. With this I mean there are tons of minor civilizations and cultures out there that could and should be explored more. Not to mention the white spots on several continents. To fill out these places is a low hanging fruit after all.

Maybe we will see this with the Old World were Kislev and Cathay are brought into the fold and Hobgoblins are heavily hinted at.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • MalalTheRenegadeMalalTheRenegade Registered Users Posts: 491

Wow I'm not a big fan of youtubers but his content is amazing
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,632
    edited July 24
    sykall said:

Oh yes the badlands video is also totally worth a watch. But I have heard other sources about them before, and I never seen the history/geography of a minor location luke tilea explored in such depth before.

I wish GW would discover the potential of the world they created. With this I mean there are tons of minor civilizations and cultures out there that could and should be explored more. Not to mention the white spots on several continents. To fill out these places is a low hanging fruit after all.

Maybe we will see this with the Old World were Kislev and Cathay are brought into the fold and Hobgoblins are heavily hinted at.
    That’s why I hate AoS so much (in addition to the dog **** lore and writing) : there was still so much they could do with Warhammer exploring and detailing more of the world and it’s inhabitants and they threw it away. Hell a lot of The better AoS **** could have fit into Warhammer anyways. If only GW didn’t have such a short sighted dumb ass at the helm for so long.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,820
    I watched his videos a few months ago and they are awesome. I hope he will do more :)

Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,053

sykall said:

That’s why I hate AoS so much (in addition to the dog **** lore and writing) : there was still so much they could do with Warhammer exploring and detailing more of the world and it’s inhabitants and they threw it away. Hell a lot of The better AoS **** could have fit into Warhammer anyways. If only GW didn’t have such a short sighted dumb ass at the helm for so long.
    Personally I think the End Times are worse than AoS. AoS is a new setting after all and with new universal rules and such. So I would not discredit its lore outright if it tries to be different from WFB. Indeed it has some interesting ideas here and there.
    Though AoS suffers in parts due to being the offical sucessor to WFB but trying to invent new things. This duality ileaves stretching marks on this universe. For every step forwards, it takes one and a half back. And it creates pressure and expectations that shackle AoS further. IMO if GW would see AoS as an entirely new thing and fill it with original stuff it would have been a better thing.

But the End Times is what I really dislike. Not only because it ended WFB, but more importantly how it ended. And indeed if a few turns and event as the End Times could have been.
    IIRC a writer of GW once said that one of the main reasons for AoS was, that it was difficult to write scenarios were everyone could fight everyone, as some factions are 100ths of miles apart. This can be seen with the end times were they burned every part that is not the old world to cinders very quickly.

However this assumption I heavily disagree with. And indeed I think if GW went the other route and globalized the setting even more, it would have been a better decision.
    Warhammer fantasy takes huge inspirations of real world history and cultures. And there intercontinental conflicts have been a thing since time immemorial. Just look after which country has not been invaded by britain at some point. But even before the 16th century these sort of campaigns often happened and the world has ever been a very interconnected place. Just think of the conquest of the roman empire where individual generals fought wars from iberia to syria, or the sphere of influence surrounding China, the islamic trade networks connecting Mali with indonesia etc. It is easy to write international conflicts, especially in a setting like WFB where the gameplay and narrative can be different. E.g. for a narrative event dwarfs may look for Karak Zorn in the Southlands. But gameplay wise factions like the empire or bretonnia could be used even if they do not participate. They could e.g. be labled as dwarfen auxillaries.

Anyway, it would have been very easy to revitalize and expand WFB via an event like the end times by introducing new factions drawn into the light by this events. Simply by having multiple threats and by having multiple theatres of war and multiple but somewhat equal antagonists. The goal is that each theatre of war has its own central conflict, but each theatre influences the global crisis to a significant degree.
    E.g. Archaeon still invades. But Nagash is an almost equal threat. He unites most of the undead and sents them on campaigns accross the world. Grimgor still launches is Waagh and goes east, but with the threat of him coming right back, as he was known to say. And the skaven not being totally subservient to chaos but having their own plans (and much less off-screen powerful).

With this set up it would be easy to have divers theatres of War that introduce new content whilst driving the story of existing factions forward.

E.g. the factions of the far east, aka Hobgoblins, Cathay etc. Can be introduced into the eastern theatre. There Grimgor, Chaos and Skaven invade, creating a huge all against all situation. The pressure is: if Chaos or Grimgor wins then they threaten to go west and crump whoever is still standing there. A theatre that involves Cathay vs Hobgoblins vs regular greenskins vs chaos forces vs other eastern factions to be introduced.

Meanwhile to introduce the southern realms you could have a southern old world front. Tilea, Estalia and Co must defend themselves and by proxy the empire and Bretonnia against skaven. And Nagash may sent another army there as well, or Kemmler intervenes on Chaos behalf and norscan raiders plunder the coast.

And for Araby or other southland factions Nagash is a central conflict. Lets say Nagash just repelled Settra and he is now gathering strength elsewhere with Khalida. The remain bretonnian crusaders, imperial Sudenburg and Araby now have to come to terms with each other to somehow stand a chance against Nagashs legions. And Settra plans his own revenge.

Meanwhile there is still the Archaeons invasion in the north and other conflicts in Ulthuan or elsewhere.

If e.g. the HE are able to safeguard Ulthuan they may sent reinforcments to the empire. If Skaven break through thr blockade of the SR they may reinfirce archaon or stab him in the back. Etc pp. Each zone of conflicts has multiple possible outcomes which all impact the grand finale of the event.

If the End Times would have been like this, GW could have used this conflict to revitalize the setting and to bring new factions into the fold and give them significant contributions, whilst also taking care of already established content.
    Sadly the end times we got was the opposite approach. Instead of expanding and rejuvinating, more and more pieces were thrown away or smashed together.

Anyway I thank CA for expanding the setting now. And whilst I am sorry for Araby, I am excited to see what new things may come. And I still have hope to see Tilea at some point.