Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I was looking at ship models during my campaign and was again saddened by the lack of naval combat

IronOttoIronOtto Registered Users Posts: 16
Bestmen have a gian fish, lizardmen have a flying temple, druchi have a an island pulled by a kraken, Dawi sail on a freaking dreadnaughts and submarines late victora style, and there is a tabletop that actually could suggest how to balance this beautiful mess.

Besides, i dislike how in recent games you do not require a ship, its immersion breaking, sea just dosen feel like sea anymore, there was a mening to having a strong fleet(also bring back trade roots pls CA) and it just felt more real. i wonder is there at least simmilar mod, it would be hard to make so i doubt it(

With one third of the map being in the water , and some factions specilizing on piracy(vc, de) and some on costal raids(norsca) or just known for a strong fleet(he) or colonization(all old world humans exept bretonnia) it really comes down only to money(i ask you please dont start this "gw dosent have right to naval combat" thing, there are billion ways out of this situation even if it was real) they didnt wanted to spend on it.

Yet it would made a game so much better, i would even played a simmilar standalone game to be honest, but in context of total war it would be just brilliant.

I would have payed a full second game price just to have it in the game, i wonder, would some of you wanted such super-dlc? maybe for cheaper of course but still

Comments

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 615
    This was another recent post on this subject. Use the search button and contribute there.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,556
    I’d be totally satisfied with auto resolve naval battles and units like we had in pre Empire TW. Throw us some cool artwork for naval functions and boom were there.
  • MaksboMaksbo Registered Users Posts: 397
    Naval battles in empire total war were really fun, once you got the hang of it. And beautiful to spectate. But let's be real, with the crazy diversity between the warhammer races, it's not gonna happen. It would not be like one standalone game, it would be like 3... and with the limited demand and wish for it, there are much better options for CA to invest their money in. Sadly, I would personally like it and would pay a lot for it.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,014

I’d be totally satisfied with auto resolve naval battles and units like we had in pre Empire TW. Throw us some cool artwork for naval functions and boom were there.

a little mini-game like XCOM's interception would be nice.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,362
    Maksbo said:

Naval battles in empire total war were really fun, once you got the hang of it. And beautiful to spectate. But let's be real, with the crazy diversity between the warhammer races, it's not gonna happen. It would not be like one standalone game, it would be like 3... and with the limited demand and wish for it, there are much better options for CA to invest their money in. Sadly, I would personally like it and would pay a lot for it.

There is no naval battles in other late total war games as well, so it's not because of diversity.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,792
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k6yVd
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bv254

The Naval Warfare ship sailed when they did not go for it in game#2. At least we now have "island battles". Sad, but nothing we can do about it.

-----Red Dox
  • Hellspawn2Hellspawn2 Registered Users Posts: 183
    I don't understand people's fascination with naval battles. What exactly are you expecting? Do you just want ships to fire cannons at each other? Do you want armies to face each other in combat on a boat. This could work if you are only dealing with human models, but how are you going to use SEM'S? How about calvary? How about constructs like the Tomb Kings have. Show me how a pack of dire wolves or tomb scorpions work on a boat.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,792

I don't understand people's fascination with naval battles. What exactly are you expecting?

Some nifty ship battle should not be impossible. Boarding actions could be more meant as special abilities if we wanted. Everyone who ever played Battlefleet Gothic as videogame, might remember how their boarding torpedos and teleport attacks worked in space-ship battle. But yeah, having some real boardings

could still work out. Monstrous Infantry will get tricky, and non-flying Monsters should be impossible but I assume something could have been worked out.

------Red Dox
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 3,745

I don't understand people's fascination with naval battles. What exactly are you expecting? Do you just want ships to fire cannons at each other? Do you want armies to face each other in combat on a boat. This could work if you are only dealing with human models, but how are you going to use SEM'S? How about calvary? How about constructs like the Tomb Kings have. Show me how a pack of dire wolves or tomb scorpions work on a boat.

Boarding wouldn't work, at least not in the way that people imagine where all 20 of their units can participate in battle on the ship deck. It has to be ship to ship combat. The way I'd go about it is giving each race 4 types of ships. Small Faster ones, a capital ship, mid level ships that serve as the main combat force and a specialized ship that has abilities. Then I'd also retool Flying and Aquatic monsters so they could participate in battle.

Then there could be dozens of cool ocean battle maps. Maps where sea monster randomly attack both armies, maps where water spouts, ice bergs and whirlpool appear as hazards on the map. Currents/winds which make sailing in one direction faster or slower.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.