Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Actual state of dwarfs AI in campaign.

bob_bollerbob_boller Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello everyone, i would like to know your opinion about dwarfs controlled factions in campaign. After having thrown many hours in this game i constantly find dwarfs overpowered and unbalanced. Playing SFO, karak a karaz after suffering pressure caused by orcs in the first part of the game end up steamrolling and dominating the badlands, even after greenskins rework it's rare to see dwarfs struggling on map, unless you use mods to increase their upkeep in order to keep them at bay (which are not updated by now).

The introduction of Thorek worsened things: in the last few days i started a vortex with Tehenhauin, by turn 20 Thorek confederate the Sotek Spine dwarfs and by turn 50 every skaven faction was deleted in lustria, closed between thorek and lizardmen (i didn't have the chance to fight a single battle vs skaven).
What is your experience?

Comments

• VeetasVeetas Registered Users Posts: 12
    It is your mod causing that to happen. I play without it and 9 times out of 10 Grimgor ends up confederating all the greenskins and wiping the dwarfs out.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,662
    You can't make conclusions based on 1 campaign.
    Turn 100ish on my Oxyotl Vortex campaign and Thorek is still around but Pestilens is dominating mid-Lustria.
    ME Thorek campaign I pushed north aggressively and managed to bail Thorgrim out of a Greenskins noose.
    Taurox ME campaign turn 120ish and the GS are just about done now.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • Lord_DrakkenLord_Drakken Registered Users Posts: 116
    edited July 26
    When I am playing SFO, (which is almost always) I use the SFO version of the survival campaign mod by KAM. Another modder is maintaining the mod for now but... It adds models and some health to most units of greenskins, skaven, beastmen, chaos, norsca, and vampires. So when you are fighting them they truly feel like huge hordes of enemies.

With this mod turned on the order factions get their backsides handed to them and you get to try and be their savior. Usually the Empire and most dwarf factions are destroyed by turn 75 or so. Some go down much earlier. You will have enemies everywhere and the campaign will be very tough.

It is the best way to play.

In vanilla, I find literally every campaign to be much too easy. In my last 2 dwarf vanilla plays the other dwarfs were doing well enough that the campaign was too easy for my liking.

I can't wait for SFO to finish getting modded.

Edit... Oh my! Kam has already updated his Survival campaign mod for vanilla!!! I don't have to wait for SFO and neither do you.
    Post edited by Lord_Drakken on
  • bob_bollerbob_boller Registered Users Posts: 4

When I am playing SFO, (which is almost always) I use the SFO version of the survival campaign mod by KAM. Another modder is maintaining the mod for now but... It adds models and some health to most units of greenskins, skaven, beastmen, chaos, norsca, and vampires. So when you are fighting them they truly feel like huge hordes of enemies.

With this mod turned on the order factions get their backsides handed to them and you get to try and be their savior. Usually the Empire and most dwarf factions are destroyed by turn 75 or so. Some go down much earlier. You will have enemies everywhere and the campaign will be very tough.

It is the best way to play.

In vanilla, I find literally every campaign to be much too easy. In my last 2 dwarf vanilla plays the other dwarfs were doing well enough that the campaign was too easy for my liking.

I can't wait for SFO to finish getting modded.

Edit... Oh my! Kam has already updated his Survival campaign mod for vanilla!!! I don't have to wait for SFO and neither do you.

thanks man for the suggestion!
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 1,049
    Can't talk about vortex, but Thorek just sits at home in ME, kinda like Ungrim. Their ai is incredibly passive. And Grimgor gets rid of the Karak Karaz at least half of the time (conservatively) If Thorgrim manages to survive for a decent amount of turns they will become strong. But the balance is certainly in the greenskins favour at the mo.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,188
    edited July 26
    Same as always for me. Ive done a dozen or so ME campaigns on the current patch. 10 or so restarted because karaz a karak rolls over everything in their area (grimgor, eshin etc). So 9 times out of 10 it is the dawi tide (first 50 turns they may look like they going to die but by turn 100 they are exterminating every last greenskin and skaven).

Today for the lulz i allied with them and to see just how much they could take on i did the following;

They were at war with grimgor and scabby eye. They were rolling them at turn 60. So i declared (and they as my ally) join in:

Eshin
    Vampire counts
    Empire
    Border princes
    A few minor factions (greenskins and skaven).

I pretty much make everyone around them their enemies.

Then i start spamming end turn button. And watch the fireworks. After 10 turns the empire and them peace out. So after another ten turns i declared on empire again. Empire goes after some minor in karak hirn and the dwarfs dont stop them. Eshin first 10-15 make some mayhem. Border princes blows up a few minor (mind you the dawi have just 18 settlements to start).

Then it starts.....the massacres. The border princes gets massacred over the following 20-30 turns. Eshin obliterated. Grimgor and the minor factions never even gained ground.

40 turns later (at 100) the dawi now have 30+ settlements the empire has peaced out again. They are str rank 1. They rolled over all.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • KingGojiraKingGojira Registered Users Posts: 242
    edited July 27
    If confederation is turn off how well do Dawrf and Orcs factions do then? Seems tonme they get strong confederating like Empire.
  • hendo’hendo’ Registered Users Posts: 2,833
    Start a war with them then. Support the dwarfs' advisories.

But my last campaign with DE Grimgor was the hardest around, and living quite comfortably, although sitting on a pile of dwarf skeletons can’t be that comfortable.

I'm still playing taurox and haven't made it over that way yet. I'll let you know. But as mentioned above, I wouldn't judge it by one campaign (or 2 for that matter).
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 2,177
    Almost every game I have the dwarfs are number one in power, or settlements. In-fact a recent game even by turn 160+ all dwarf factions were still alive and Karaz-a-Karak was number one, as always. I even posted some pictures showing them all still alive. Dwarfs have been op since game one, and I consider them the baby or starter faction that is incredibly easy to play and get in to, so could be why they're so overpowered.

That said, even with that, I find them easy to defeat and wipe out. It's the ai that can't seem to manage it. I don't use SFO, btw.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    Kislev - from darkness to light.19/3

My steam workshop - mods.