Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Whatever happened to the old search ruin treasure hunts?

ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,735
Anyone remember the search ruin system we had before the Lizardmen puzzles? They were great sometimes funny written race specific scenarios that presented you with 4 choices and each one having a consequence or reward.

For example, I remember one scenario specifically that was about whether or not you wanted your troops to disturb some gravesite in hopes of finding treasure.

My question is, why did they get rid of this and replace it with (imo) the boring Lizardmen puzzles? Was it beginning to be too much work to write all these different scenarios with all the races? Don’t know about y’all, but I’d much rather have those loreful written scenarios than just some puzzles over and over again.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Comments

• PedePede Registered Users Posts: 1,599
    I hate the puzzles and never do them. Yes i would like the old system back.

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,693
    A lot of people hated the RNG of it and the potential for negative outcomes, and with enough voices CA decided to implement the current system we have now. Honestly I think a mix of ruin puzzles and RNG events would be for the best so you'd never know what to expect. But the puzzles shouldn't just be Old One themed, Elven, Nehekharan, Dwarfen, Skaven, Greenskin, Vampire and Chaos themed ones each with new types of simplistic puzzles would be appreciated.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• summertimelovinsummertimelovin Registered Users Posts: 531
    I do the current puzzles from time to time and I get a bit annoyed when I pick the wrong option after spending time trying to solve it. Makes me miss the old system where it didn't really feel like there was a wrong choice plus you get a fun little scenario. The negative effects never really bothered me. The game could do with a little more negative events and such, IMO. But back on topic, bring back the old system and keep the ruin puzzles for maybe just Lustria.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,735
    Wyvax said:

A lot of people hated the RNG of it and the potential for negative outcomes, and with enough voices CA decided to implement the current system we have now. Honestly I think a mix of ruin puzzles and RNG events would be for the best so you'd never know what to expect. But the puzzles shouldn't just be Old One themed, Elven, Nehekharan, Dwarfen, Skaven, Greenskin, Vampire and Chaos themed ones each with new types of simplistic puzzles would be appreciated.

This would be my 2nd choice. If they made old puzzles and actual fun ones that aren’t just Lizardmen themed, I’d like that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 571
    I can think of one really excellent one where you were given the choice of investigating strange noises in some cave and there was a chance that some Lovecraft monster would kill your hero or eat a couple units.

Definitely better than what we have now.
  • Alexandrian2202Alexandrian2202 Registered Users Posts: 50
    There are no ruins anymore, they’re just Skaven cities you haven’t found yet (or at least that’s how it feels!).
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,757
    I too preferred the other system, as I generally prefer roleplay to puzzles in games. But alas, the vox populi was different.
  • zeekjwzeekjw Registered Users Posts: 168
    edited August 2021

I do the current puzzles from time to time and I get a bit annoyed when I pick the wrong option after spending time trying to solve it. Makes me miss the old system where it didn't really feel like there was a wrong choice plus you get a fun little scenario. The negative effects never really bothered me. The game could do with a little more negative events and such, IMO. But back on topic, bring back the old system and keep the ruin puzzles for maybe just Lustria.

I just look the answers up now because I can never remember how to solve them and don't want to spend 5 minutes trying to figure out wtf the puzzle is about.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,417
    I think the original event system was more appropiate for a game of this type - then trying to do a freaking Sudoku mid game.

I think they should have just done Crusader Kings style chances;
    • X% Chance of a reward
    • X% Chance your hero is wounded
    So you knew what you were getting into.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,757
    zeekjw said:

I just look the answers up now because I can never remember how to solve them and don't want to spend 5 minutes trying to figure out wtf the puzzle is about.
    I've installed a mod showing the solutions directly in-game. I honestly hate the abstract nature of logical puzzles and I think they are pretty much on the opposite conceptual side of strategy games, that are about applying your brain to concrete problems.