Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let's talk about Siege Gameplay in Historical Mode

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 12,464
edited August 14 in General Discussion
1st: Siege Towers
Will you be happy if there are only ladders and ram available?
Carry-able ladders and not pocket ladders.

2nd: Walls
Line of Sight
*Currently, Archers can still shoot precisely even though they can't see whom they are aiming (high walls)
*Skirmishers can still shoot precisely their enemy even though there are hindrance like trees or structures between them
Do you really like that?

Soldiers falling from the walls
Wouldn't it be better to see some soldiers falling from the walls?
It doesn't matter whether you are elite or not, everyone shall be prone to fall when fighting on the wall

3rd: Ammo Replenishment
How about a capture point wherein units can replenish ammunition inside city?
It should be able capture-able for attacker as well. Both sides can either capture or destroy/burn it.

4th: More Garrison-able Buildings
Defenders must be able to garrison buildings. They shall be able to lay ambush to attackers at their city on their will since it is their city.
*How about hiding inside some structures and letting attackers pass by, then trap them at the right moment? It will make attackers to be cautious instead of just attacking.
*How about making some rooftops as platform for some skirmishers?

What do you think?

================================================================
P.S.
Wish there are different sub-forum for different mode
Post edited by jamreal18 on

Comments

• PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 151
    Soldiers falling from walls during combat were a classic feature of Total War Rome 1; the same when archers targeted them from inside the cities. This adds considerably to realism; you are right on this point.
    For the ladders in Rome 1 there were a limited number (if I am right about that point), and when a unit was decimated before reaching the walls another unit would pick them up to continue.
    For the elimination of siege towers I am more reserved but that can indeed be discussed for the period of the game. Anihow graphically these siege towers are very successful, but realism is important.
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 102
    Fort Towers and Siege Towers
    These two are the biggest points to talk about.

All we need right now are Fort Towers either removed or not shooting arrows, and Siege Towers to be stoppable/destroy-able by defender sallying out.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,230
    I'm happy enough with ladders, rams, and siege towers. The only thing that bugs me are the pocket ladders. Would prefer buildable ladders that units then have to carry to the walls, like in Med 2.

Line of sight (and so accuracy) should be reduced for units firing at units on top of - or on the other side of - walls. Actually, is that not in the game already? I thought it was, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Soldiers falling from walls? It'd certainly be a cool visual effect, but I don't think it's a necessity compared to other things on the list.

Ammo replenishment points inside the city that attackers can make use of... Sure, I don't see why not.

Buildings that can be garrisoned and occupied... That would be pretty cool, but I wonder how much of a pain in the ass that would be for the devs. Can attackers attempt to "breach and clear" occupied buildings? How would combat work when combat workinside the building?
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 504
    edited August 14
    as I have had the opportunity to say many times, for me the sieges, in the games that some claim to be historic, should resume those beautiful settings that Rome 2 had.

1) besieger or besieged, armies must suffer attrition. ( Rome 2)

2) magic stairs NO! not only is it anti-historical, it is anti-physical anti-human anti-games made with care. I'm doing a campaign with achilles and seeing that when you get to the walls, 4 (4!) magical stairs appear out of nowhere to make him go up is really disgusting.

Stairs should be built over a turn and given to one unit of your choice. if this unit dies, another unit should take over. if all units fail, the siege simply fails. ( Rome 2)

3) rightly if there were no towers built into the walls in the time period, they shouldn't be in the game. better the wooden turrets scattered around the city. ( Attila, tob)

4) destructive sieges as in tob: not only the Vikings devastated and burned the cities once they were taken. very often I have also dreamed in troy of making night sieges and setting fire to buildings. ( Tob)

they are all implementations that Ca proposed to us 10 years ago in other games, and that no one has ever criticized. they were simply removed to make everything more arcadey.
    I would like them all back
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,891
    If you want full authencity on bronze age sieges, then all those city walls should only be about a third as high as they are now and most should be even lower.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,949
    I remember there was some building in Shogun 2 that could resupply units, not sure if it was in the tutorial, never saw it in any campaign though.

Garrison-able buildings, pointless with the time period. Their bad enough in Empire and just make your force easy to route, now with the units in this, better off fighting in the street.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,891
    Commisar said:

I remember there was some building in Shogun 2 that could resupply units, not sure if it was in the tutorial, never saw it in any campaign though.

Garrison-able buildings, pointless with the time period. Their bad enough in Empire and just make your force easy to route, now with the units in this, better off fighting in the street.

I'm pretty sure that building only existed in avatar mode.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,230
    edited August 14
    Commisar said:

I vaguely remember that too. I think there was one or two missions in the "Dragon War" DLC for Shogun 2 which had a building that replenished ammo for units standing within it's radius.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    toskyrun said:

Stairs should be built over a turn and given to one unit of your choice. if this unit dies, another unit should take over. if all units fail, the siege simply fails. ( Rome 2)

As long as the AI refuses to leave the city, this is irrelevant. And if the AI has conditions where it will sally out they can be easily manipulated into doing so to the advantage of the player.

As long as the AI is predictable, it is vulnerable, and since it is currently generally trying to make the best use of whatever tools it has the only way to make it unpredictable is to make it much much dumber, because the things you don't predict are the things too stupid to do...