Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Alt+F4, Save Scumming, Stop Gotrek from Leaving and Hero Trait Farming

MerciiMercii Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 946
edited August 2021 in General Discussion

Save Scumming, Farming Hero Traits, Alt-F4ing. Backing up saves on Legendary. Keep Gotrek forever trick.

Good/Bad/Don't care?

I've probably cheated nearly every way it is possible to cheat in this game, but I don't recommend it.

The lure is always there, but it is the number 1 campaign killer for me.

You want something, it's hard, you cheat, then you don't want it any more. Victory tastes like ashes.

You want the game* to be HARD.

MercytheMad on Youtube
Post edited by Mercii on

Comments

• XxXScorpionXxX#2310XxXScorpionXxX#2310 Registered Users Posts: 6,020
    I wasn't even aware you could save scum on legendary.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.
  • MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 946
    @XxXScorpionXxX Yeah, Alt-F4ing is the most common way people do it but if you back up your saves you can save scum just fine.

There are actually some save/reload exploits you can ONLY do on legendary because of the Turn Start Auto-save.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,758
    Don’t care.

Players can do what they want.

For me personally, I think the whole point/appeal of Legendary is getting out of unusual situations/having to adapt to your mistakes. If I want my campaign to go smoothly, I’ll play on a different difficulty. Which I do sometimes! Other times, I specifically like playing on Legendary because it can be messy.

^^But if somebody else is playing Legendary for a different reason, who am I to tell them they can’t/shouldn’t?? It’s their game.

Plus! I do think there is some skill/merit in replaying battles to identify your mistakes and fixing them. There’s also skill/merit in nitpicking the game to find obscure exploits and min/max stats/trait potential.

^^Its not personally a skill I find fun to have my gameplay revolve around. But again… if somebody else does find exploits and repeat battles fun…who am I to tell them they shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy those things.

The only bugs/exploits that actually bother me are the ones that impact MY campaign. If it’s not something that is going to affect to MY campaign, unless I specifically seek it out…then I don’t really care if other players specifically seek those experiences out for THEIR campaigns.

• Hellspawn2Hellspawn2 Registered Users Posts: 183
    I don't even know who that guy is in the video but I don't like him. Why even play on legendary if you are just going to cheat and exploit your way through the game. And then to make a video about it. Ranks right up there with that Legend of Total War jackass. People who like to brag or make a big deal out of the fact they play on legendary and then cheese their way through the game. Got no respect for players like that.
    edited August 2021
    @Pede @mewade44 Oops, I have fixed that bit now. Also get your minds out of the gutter! :P

@Hellspawn2 Totally, Forget that guy! .....wait, that guy is me :(Don't try to bypass the word filter.

Also, I think LegendofTotalWar is actually pretty cool, he doesn't really brag at all, and he just plays the game as it is, rather than the way we imagine it should be.

I don't play the same way he does, but I have no problem with him playing the way he enjoys, it doesn't affect me.

I think @Valkaar has the right attitude.
    Post edited by dge1 on
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,104
    Don't care.

Bugs should be fixed, but ultimately people should be expected to have a small amount of self control.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,248
    People should play how they want without interference from entities deeming it necessary dictate how other people should enjoy their game, those entities are insufferable honestly.

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    What's the point of playing on harder difficulties only to deflate them with BS like that? Just for the achievements? Yet another reason to abolish them.
  • JirzikJirzik Registered Users Posts: 481
    For the first play, I recommend playing as the developers intended. After that: whatever floats your boat.
  • manpersal#3961manpersal#3961 Registered Users Posts: 3,292

What's the point of playing on harder difficulties only to deflate them with BS like that? Just for the achievements? Yet another reason to abolish them.

To allow bad/mediocre players brag about playing legendary and come to the forums/Reddit pretending only their opinions should be taken into account.
    manpersal said:

To allow bad/mediocre players brag about playing legendary and come to the forums/Reddit pretending only their opinions should be taken into account.
    I actually believe those players don't even play on legendary, they just want the option of effortlessly winning on it should they ever hypothetically deign to pick it. Which in their minds is as good as actually playing and winning on it.
  • Slayer_Yannir#8069Slayer_Yannir#8069 Registered Users Posts: 2,620
    I've only completed one Legendary campaign(with Thorgrim), mainly because I can't stand "battle realism" so doing more than one is a tall order and exercise in futility.

In that campaign I never felt like I needed to cheese it. Cheese is best served in small portions and when necessary. Not by the bucket-full like Legend does it.

I do find it genuinely helpful that YTers like Mercy and Legend do what they do. What they do is like extended beta-testing, pushing the game to its limits and seeing what falls off. Which points out flaws for the devs to patch. Every time Legend expressly points out an exploit in his videos, the exploit more often than not gets fixed in the next patch.

So @ShiroAmakusa75 as much as you loathe how they play, it is also because of them that exploits you loathe get fixed. So you really should thanking them for what they do, even if you don't particularly like it.
    Formerly known as Yannir. Oaths have been taken.
    edited August 2021
    Yannir said:

I've only completed one Legendary campaign(with Thorgrim), mainly because I can't stand "battle realism" so doing more than one is a tall order and exercise in futility.

In that campaign I never felt like I needed to cheese it. Cheese is best served in small portions and when necessary. Not by the bucket-full like Legend does it.

I do find it genuinely helpful that YTers like Mercy and Legend do what they do. What they do is like extended beta-testing, pushing the game to its limits and seeing what falls off. Which points out flaws for the devs to patch. Every time Legend expressly points out an exploit in his videos, the exploit more often than not gets fixed in the next patch.

So @ShiroAmakusa75 as much as you loathe how they play, it is also because of them that exploits you loathe get fixed. So you really should thanking them for what they do, even if you don't particularly like it.

LoL

So when did CA fix Lightning Strike, the #1 overused crutch for legendary cheesing? I don't even play on legendary, but everything that renders legendary trivial is even more powerful on lower difficulties, so this is crap balancing.

Yannir said:

LoL

So when did CA fix Lightning Strike, the #1 overused crutch for legendary cheesing?
    But Lightning Strike is working as it's intended. Whether it should work the way it does is a different question, and really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    edited August 2021
    Yannir said:

Yannir said:

LoL

So when did CA fix Lightning Strike, the #1 overused crutch for legendary cheesing?
    But Lightning Strike is working as it's intended. Whether it should work the way it does is a different question, and really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    If you say I should fall down on my knees and kiss the behinds of those cheesing YTers because they make CA fix the game...why hasn't CA fixed LS? LS is absolutely and completely broken OP and renders basically the entire lategame phase a complete farce. And the reason for keeping it that way I'm constantly told is legendary cheesing.

I don't care about it "working as intended" because it's one of those crap mechanics that reward laziness and punish effort. Play a massive battle with several armies and maybe take crippling losses, or just fight all those armies one by one (presumably with AR cheese added on top) and lose nothing and win with little effort, all by clicking a button before a fight.

That's why I gotta' laugh out loud when people say the game puts spectacle over substance because LS serves to remove a lot of spectacle. Or are you gonna' tell me a massive 3v3 battle is less spectacular than pressing the LS button and the the AR button a bunch of times in a row?

Yannir said:

Yannir said:

LoL

If you say I should fall down on my knees and kiss the behinds of those cheesing YTers because they make CA fix the game...why hasn't CA fixed LS? LS is absolutely and completely broken OP and renders basically the entire lategame phase a complete farce. And the reason for keeping it that way I'm constantly told is legendary cheesing.

I don't care about it "working as intended" because it's one of those crap mechanics that reward laziness and punish effort. Play a massive battle with several armies and maybe take crippling losses, or just fight all those armies one by one (presumably with AR cheese added on top) and lose nothing and win with little effort, all by clicking a button before a fight.

That's why I gotta' laugh out loud when people say the game puts spectacle over substance because LS serves to remove a lot of spectacle. Or are you gonna' tell me a massive 3v3 battle is less spectacular than pressing the LS button and the the AR button a bunch of times in a row?
    No but you could tone it down a notch. CA doesn't really care what you "care" about. You're just one voice among millions. If the game is so bad, what are you still doing here? Move on.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,826
    How did reloading a save become "save scumming" as if it hasn't been a common thing in gaming for 30 years?
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,646
    I think people should play how they want.
    For those not smart enough to work out some of these tricks (like me), I’m glad people like legend and Mercy exist to show how. They don’t say it’s that they expect others to play or to do them.

It’s the player who chooses what they do in this single player game and the only ones I see who do say how a player should play their own game live on this forum (I think some commented here 🧐) and are negative nellies.

That being said, I do find I can ruin my own fun every now and again. The same applies to my mods I use sometimes.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
    edited August 2021
    Yannir said:

Yannir said:

Yannir said:

LoL

No but you could tone it down a notch. CA doesn't really care what you "care" about. You're just one voice among millions. If the game is so bad, what are you still doing here? Move on.
    I'm using mods. I'm using a mod that pulls the teeth out of LS by only delaying reinforcements. If not for mods I'd have dropped this title years ago and I bet half the current playerbase would have done so, or why do you think SWO has 350000 subscribers? Even if only 5% of those played the game regularly, that would be half its regular players.

CA should stop making a game that's entirely geared towards casuals and casuals should STFU with their constant gatekeeping. Want a trivial experience? Play on easy, but allow people who want a non-trivial game to have an option to play it on vanilla too.

Mods can slow the game down, can have compatibility issues and modders can at any time decide to abandon it. That's why I consider the modded experience to be second class, so don't bother telling me I should just stick to those.

I'm using mods. I'm using a mod that pulls the teeth out of LS by only delaying reinforcements. If not for mods I'd have dropped this title years ago and I bet half the current playerbase would have done so, or why do you think SWO has 350000 subscribers? Even if only 5% of those played the game regularly, that would be half its regular players.

CA should stop making a game that's entirely geared towards casuals and casuals should STFU with their constant gatekeeping. Want a trivial experience? Play on easy, but allow people who want a non-trivial game to have an option to play it on vanilla too.

Mods can slow the game down, can have compatibility issues and modders can at any time decide to abandon it. That's why I consider the modded experience to be second class, so don't bother telling me I should just stick to those.

SFO is such a big mod that you can't really tell what part of it people subscribe to. Never tried it myself, and don't intend to for atleast 4 more years, but I understand that you can enable and disable different parts of it. Loreful army caps is likely the prime reason people download SFO, not some perceived increase in difficulty.
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 689
    edited August 2021
    Hey @Mercii, I saw a bunch of your videos and find your content good and enjoyable. Wish you good luck with the channel. Didn't know you were on the forums.

You are probably the last person I was expecting to post about 'not cheating' lol. But I agree 100%. I stopped watching Legend because of that. Love his content, but just had to stop being influenced by all the cheese. These days I play a bit less than before (burnt-out), and if I do, I don't cheese at all and play always with varied and thematic armies and try to approach the AI as I would a player's army- skirmishing, flanking, hammer & anvil, and all that. Even of legendary. Otherwise, as you said, victory is meaningless.
    @ShiroAmakusa75 What is the name of that Lightning strike mod? that actually sounds really cool.

I pretty much always play vanilla, but I really appreciate modders. 99% of my time in Mount and Blade and Medieval 2 wa spent in Prophesy of Pendor and Slainless Steel respectively.

Look after the modders, long after CA has forgotten us, they will be our saviours!

MercytheMad on Youtube
  • AxiosXiphos#9040AxiosXiphos#9040 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,517
    It's a singleplayer game - cheating is only cheating yourself out of enjoying the game.

Still do what you want.
  • sandercohensandercohen Registered Users Posts: 525
    edited August 2021
    I can't stand watching people who abuse every single exploit and who employ every single cheese tactic that there is in the game. Like take this video for instance, foot Volkmar is used to drain the ammo of the AI by moving him back and forth for half a minute. Where is the fun and immersion in that? I couldn't stomach watching any more of that video precisely because of these type of gimmicks. All the more so because the knights could have easily pulled off a swift victory if rear charging was used (around the 2:25 mark)

The way I approach battles is generally like how I would approach a multiplayer game. The same formations and tactics. I will not try and let enemies bunch up around a hero so that I can blast them with spells. I don't make hero armies because they're boring and not immersive. I have also recently decided not to use spells like burning head or wind of death when I'm the attacker, because the AI neatly lines up all of his units and cannot detect these kind of spells. I allow myself to use the spells once the enemy engages. In sieges I do try to actually scale the walls, instead of deploying on one side of the map, and then cheesing the AI by attacking the other.

I will admit that I do savescum on some occasions, though I don't do backups. I will generally accept losses as long as it is due to my own mistakes. If I felt like I could have won a lost battle I will not reload, I will simply accept it for what it is. But there are some scenarios where I do reload a save if what has happened was beyond my control. Like if I lose an elite infantry unit that I ordered to scale the walls, but they somehow just sit there and get blasted by defensive towers, and that costed me the game, I will ALT+F4 and reload. If my units for some reason dropped orders and that caused me to lose, I will reload. In campaign if the projected remaining stamina after I move an army is enough to encamp or ambush, but suddenly the stamina bar dips below 25% when I arrive at the location, I will reload if it would otherwise destroy my army or cause them to suffer attrition. But these type of scenarios rarely happen.

I do use lightning strike on every lord, but not necessarily because of difficulty, but because reinforcement battles are atrocious to play. If I have three or more armies reinforcing, I have no say in what units I get first. Also I cannot deploy my second stack immediately, instead I have to wait for it to drip onto the battlefield, and on some maps you discover that your second army spawns behind a mountain, in a forest or behind a large structure. This is even more frustrating when your stacks contain ranged units or artillery pieces that need proper positioning for you to get any value out of them. The day that CA improves reinforcement battles by allowing me to deploy at least two stacks at once, introduces a reinforcement tab that allows me to select the reinforcement THAT I want, WHEN I want it, and I can choose in a rough 120-180 degree angle next to or behind my deployment zone WHERE my reinforcements come from, is the day I will consider not using lightning strike at all. Until then I consider it a necessity to avoid cumbersome, lengthy and frustrating 40 unit battles.

Lastly in legendary runs I do set battle difficulty to hard, because I feel like the huge passive XP gain for enemy units is already a benefit enough, and it would otherwise tilt the balance too much in favour of ranged units, considering enemy melee units are buffed much more. Hard does just enough to compensate for the fact that you as a player can use your units more effectively, but without breaking immersion where low leadership factions like beastmen and greenskins suddenly hold out as long as dwarfs do. It also doesn't feel right when enemy empire swordmen completely trash my empire swordsmen even when they're both the same rank.

Having said all that, at the end of the day campaign is mostly a singleplayer experience and people can play however they like. For me? I like a challenge while maintaining a degree of immersion.
  • overtaker40#8926overtaker40#8926 Registered Users Posts: 1,144
    I like challenge but i hate the stirlity and drag of legendary. trying a challange campaign as alariel on VH where i have deleted most of the other high elf factions plus most of the top order factions on turn 1. i think ill have to restart around turn 40 cause im about to lose but its been a good challange, the only save scumming I allow now is redoing battles. everything else is as op says: ash.
    I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,104

If people like achievements then that's good for them.

Each to their own.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

If people like achievements then that's good for them.

Each to their own.
    If achivements lead to people playing games as a chore rather than entertainment and devs design games around this sort of attitude, it's time for them to go.
  • Cyresdog#8125Cyresdog#8125 Registered Users Posts: 1,481
    edited August 2021
    Who would honestly care about cheating in a Singleplayer Game at all?
    You want to ruin your own fun? Go ahead do it.
    But being mad at the devs for letting that happen is plain stupid from the consumer.

Thats like saying "i am mad at my drug dealer for selling me drugs". In the end it was your choice, and your choice alone.
    But then again i remember back when the "Cancel AI turn" exploit became public, and how many people got mad that its a thing, even tho it was only doable if you press a button that you never ever press in this game ever.

And if you wanna cheat to get Achievments in this game then you have to be plain stupid. You can just get Savefiles for that, it takes you less than 2 minutes instead of cheating your way through several dozen turns.
    Its like No Mans Sky, you wanna cheat? Then cheat, no one gives a f***.

• GettoGecko#7861GettoGecko#7861 Registered Users Posts: 1,684
    Who cares about how people play? Let them enjoy the game the way they want to.
  • CountTalabecland#2471CountTalabecland#2471 Registered Users Posts: 1,091
    Don’t care, if ppl can’t handle losing and want to load back all the time, they are free to do so.

However, Gotrek not being temporary should have been made a feature of the game years ago.