Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Alt+F4, Save Scumming, Stop Gotrek from Leaving and Hero Trait Farming

Comments

• MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 946

What's the point of playing on harder difficulties only to deflate them with BS like that? Just for the achievements? Yet another reason to abolish them.

If people like achievements then that's good for them.

Each to their own.
    I don't think people play the higher difficulty for the achievements, or for the bragging, it's for the 'Fiero'.

The addictive emotion of victory that you only get when you win in the face of adversity.

You don't have to play on Legendary to get it, but you have to play on whatever difficulty gives you challenge.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,104

What's the point of playing on harder difficulties only to deflate them with BS like that? Just for the achievements? Yet another reason to abolish them.

If people like achievements then that's good for them.

Each to their own.
    If achivements lead to people playing games as a chore rather than entertainment and devs design games around this sort of attitude, it's time for them to go.
    I agree.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    don't really see the point of playing at high difficulty level and then cheating. Just play on easy then.
  • Hellspawn2Hellspawn2 Registered Users Posts: 183
    I agree that everyone should play the game in the way that makes them get the most enjoyment out of it. If it's playing on legendary or easy, if its using mods or playing vanilla. Doomstacks or thematic armies.

That being said, what I don't agree with is YouTube creators highlighting all of the exploiits and cheats in the game such as this video does. If you want to cheese the hell out of your game that's fine...thats what makes you happy.

For the record there is a big difference between cheese and cheats. Cheese is using a tool or mechanics in the game as intended, but using it to give yourself the best outcome or advantage. Cheats and exploit are using a mechanic that was not intended to be used in normal play.

...what I don't agree with is YouTube creators highlighting all of the exploits and cheats in the game such as this video does...

What do you see as the main problem with videos like this?

Are you worried people who never wanted to cheat will suddenly Fall to Chaos and start cheating uncontrollably?

MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,646

I agree that everyone should play the game in the way that makes them get the most enjoyment out of it. If it's playing on legendary or easy, if its using mods or playing vanilla. Doomstacks or thematic armies.

That being said, what I don't agree with is YouTube creators highlighting all of the exploiits and cheats in the game such as this video does. If you want to cheese the hell out of your game that's fine...thats what makes you happy.

For the record there is a big difference between cheese and cheats. Cheese is using a tool or mechanics in the game as intended, but using it to give yourself the best outcome or advantage. Cheats and exploit are using a mechanic that was not intended to be used in normal play.

Each to their own in a single player game.
    Play your own game how you like, no one is holding a gun to your head.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • Slayer_Yannir#8069Slayer_Yannir#8069 Registered Users Posts: 2,620

Yeah when you want something fixed, not highlighting the issue and not telling people how to avoid an exploit is the best course of action. Logic. :wink:
    YTers don't automatically have some kind of backdoor access to devs. A video highlighting the issue is the most powerful tool at their disposal.
    Formerly known as Yannir. Oaths have been taken.
  • Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,248
    Amusing to see how much people get their panties in a twist over how OTHER PEOPLE enjoy playing the game

Amusing and tragic lol

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    edited August 2021
    Reeks said:

Amusing to see how much people get their panties in a twist over how OTHER PEOPLE enjoy playing the game

Amusing and tragic lol

Yeah, because people definitely never blow their head-gasket when other people dare express their distaste for the current state of the game and aggressively try to gatekeep them out of playing it altogether.

Hey, I presented the mods I use for this game and apparently that set people off who berated me for it. And for not playing on legendary all the time.

Sorry, zero empathy and sympathy with the "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO PLAY" crowd, since they never practice what they preach.
    Oh ED Hun, if you can´t see the comedic value of you for years raging about how "eez the game is and how the devs should make it harder!" and when push comes to shove it turns out you are playing hard/normal and people teasing you a tad about it, i´m not sure there´s hope for you Boo.

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

Yannir said:

Yeah when you want something fixed, not highlighting the issue and not telling people how to avoid an exploit is the best course of action. Logic. :wink:
    YTers don't automatically have some kind of backdoor access to devs. A video highlighting the issue is the most powerful tool at their disposal.
    There is a huge difference in making a video with the objective of bringing it to the attention of devs and making a step by step instructions video of how to do those cheats.

Do you really think game developers are sitting around watching some YT videos? Do you think game developers give 0 fuchs about having 30 heroes with the same traits? Clearly this video was directed at the gamer.

If you do notice a exploit in the game then there are proper ways of reporting that...such as the bug fixes thread.

Jackasses putting out videos on how to cheat is not exclusive to Warhammer. For every game that has ever existed and there is a way to cheat it, you can bet some assclown has made a video for it.

At the end of the day this is a single player game. I don't care if you cheat. I just think it is poor taste to make a video about it.
    "Poor taste to make a video about cheating and exploits"

For Sigmar's sake people listen to yourselves...........

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

• Slayer_Yannir#8069Slayer_Yannir#8069 Registered Users Posts: 2,620

Reeks said:

Amusing and tragic lol

Yeah, because people definitely never blow their head-gasket when other people dare express their distaste for the current state of the game and aggressively try to gatekeep them out of playing it altogether.

Hey, I presented the mods I use for this game and apparently that set people off who berated me for it. And for not playing on legendary all the time.

Sorry, zero empathy and sympathy with the "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO PLAY" crowd, since they never practice what they preach.
    Would you stop victimizing yourself? No one in this thread has criticized how you play the game. It's a genuine wonder to me that you play a game you so clearly dislike, mods or not. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't play this game, I'd play something else.
    It's the the fact that you impose your playstyle and your views of the game on other people that people criticize. Particularly me but I'm not criticizing how you play, I criticize that you clearly expect other people to share the same thoughts that you have. Which they don't.
    Formerly known as Yannir. Oaths have been taken.
    edited August 2021
    @Hellspawn2 I guess you can just write me off as a "Jackass" if you like, but if you are interested at all:

Youtubers, in general, make videos on topics people are interested in, enjoy, engage with, talk about, etc.

It's entertainment, or maybe infotainment?

I made this video because numerous people have asked me about how to do these exploits.

...and, because it was a good vehicle to open up a discussion about...well, exactly the things that ARE being discussed here.

It's not like I'm out here trying to "corrupt the youth" or something....

MercytheMad on Youtube
    Don't bother Mercii, those people see it as a personal insult if other people deign to enjoy the game in other ways than themselves

I for one enjoy the content you and Legend release concerning exploits/cheesing, heck with over 8000 hours in game two i dabble in using exploits/cheesing as well at times just to keep it fresh.

I like that you attempt to be reasonable and have a healthy discussion with them on the subject but here's the thing: They are not interested in reason, they just want to rage.

It's pointless

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

• Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,646
    Reeks said:

Don't bother Mercii, those people see it as a personal insult if other people deign to enjoy the game in other ways than themselves

I for one enjoy the content you and Legend release concerning exploits/cheesing, heck with over 8000 hours in game two i dabble in using exploits/cheesing as well at times just to keep it fresh.

I like that you attempt to be reasonable and have a healthy discussion with them on the subject but here's the thing: They are not interested in reason, they just want to rage.

It's pointless

I have never been in agreement with you as much as in this thread.

On the op topic, I have always wondered how many people trait farm, I usually can not be bothered too much, I always get the good ones when possible, but don’t wait for more than a couple of turns as I want to quickly level those heroes up.
    But boy, do I save scum (I don’t play legendary, just vh).
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,826

Reeks said:

It's pointless

On the op topic, I have always wondered how many people trait farm, I usually can not be bothered too much, I always get the good ones when possible, but don’t wait for more than a couple of turns as I want to quickly level those heroes up.
    Save scumming is for gigachads which take every loss as a learning experience and wish to push their knowledge of victory by winning unwinnable battles nomatter how many hours it takes.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
    Mercii said:

@Hellspawn2 I guess you can just write me off as a "Jackass" if you like, but if you are interested at all:

Youtubers, in general, make videos on topics people are interested in, enjoy, engage with, talk about, etc.

I made this video because numerous people have asked me about how to do these exploits.

...and, because it was a good vehicle to open up a discussion about...well, exactly the things that ARE being discussed here.

You don't need to tell me how YouTube works! Whenever I'm playing a game I have YouTube on a second monitor. I just choose to give my subscription and views to creators who make good content. Cheese and cheats for me is not good content. If you have a loyal audience...then thats great. I'm just not going to watch it.

Mercii said:

You don't need to tell me how YouTube works! Whenever I'm playing a game I have YouTube on a second monitor. I just choose to give my subscription and views to creators who make good content. Cheese and cheats for me is not good content. If you have a loyal audience...then thats great. I'm just not going to watch it.
    😳 🍿

No problem, not trying to convert anyone, just having a conversation.

Thanks for clarifying your point.

Save scumming is for gigachads which take every loss as a learning experience and wish to push their knowledge of victory by winning unwinnable battles nomatter how many hours it takes.

I (honest) don't actually save scum very often, because it all to often kills my motivation to continue...

BUT, I lost this Phoenix Gate Siege a few weeks ago, decided to try again, and I swear, I got obsessed, spent about 3 hours replaying it.

In the end it wasn't even THAT hard, was just coming at the problem from the wrong angle.

As much as I avoid it usually, I have to admit, THAT TIME, it WAS actually really interesting and rewarding when I finally got the W.

MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,278
    edited August 2021
    I never save scum. Not even for a misclick or whatever.

I play Dead is Dead in all my games (main char dies i delete the save).

Why? There is only one reason for me to play: Entertainment (to have fun).

If I found save scumming fun then Id do that. Endlessly.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    Legend has fun videos pretty often.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    The silly thing about attacking casuals is they quite literally pay for the game.

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2021

Reeks said:

It's pointless

when I was a child I savescummed a lot. Like, in an almost pathological way. Always liked strategy games, so I savescummed every time I got a bad dice roll in Panzer General battles, or every time I lost a soldier in X-Com (I'm talking Enemy Unknown, the original one). Reloaded till the aliens missed the shot. I think I finished my first X-Com campaign without any casualty. I mean, I was a child, I couldn't accept loss as a concept. Then I grew up and I lost a lot of important stuff. Family members, love, opportunities. And that also changed my way of playing games. I played the XCOM remake (the Firaxis one) in ironman the first time, and I enjoyed it a lot more. It was dramatic, it made sense. I could look forward to vengeance and sorrow stories. So now I pretty much always play ironman. People should try, it's really better this way.
  • Rewan#2358Rewan#2358 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,859
    edited August 2021
    Imho CA does it wrong with Legendary anyways, and I do believe Ironman should be a setting. AKA separate from the difficulty level you chose. (whereas usually Legendary is just Very Hard with Ironman+Battle realism force-enabled)

I'm not a big fan of Iron man and will make BACK UPS of my saves in Legendary (usually every 10 turns), not so I can savescum but in case a file corruption occurs because yeah, that can happen. Even in my "normal" games I've had saves ruined because I didn't keep backups. So I always keep some.

Now yes, the Legendary purists will say that it defeat the purpose and you should accept to lose your savefile to such things, I obviously disagree. And looking at how Legendary typically goes, be it in WH or historical titles - or even other titles from other series (such as Civilization), I strongly believe that the "harder" difficulty modes just aren't worth playing (except for bragging rights) because they aren't more difficult, they are just more obnoxious - and I'd rather go with Normal difficulty and mod the game to tackle on things I find too weak/strong in the base game and perhaps give some more "healthier" tools to the AI.

Also interestingly enough, I did happen to Alt+F4 after checking a autobattle result in S2 Legendary, however that's pretty much the only time I did that : newer games typically are much more clear about the odds of AR to not have these kind of scenarios. (And I'm not sure but perhaps 3K even still has that "Retry battle" option even in legendary so there's even less reasons to Alt+F4 ?)

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
    I wouldn't call it save scumming as I don't like the negative connotations.

I do fairly regularly go back a few saves to stop something dumb happening. Good example was Oxy at the last Chaos invasion. Went back a few saves to stop Chaos killing 3 settlements and got them to 2 instead. Much funner experience.

Forum Terms & Conditions

I do play legendary alot but often when i dont it is because i cant stand the "hacking" when the game autosaves constantly. It is ugly and it slows down the game. Yeah not by alot but still. Half a second hack 5-10 times per turn adds up in time but most importantly it makes the game feel hacky (ive got a good comp so it loads fast etc and runs very well)

If i could play legendary without the autosaving i would just to get rid of the hacking. And as i said i always play "ironman" on all settings.

I do really like that CA has tried to do an ironman setting but it should be seperate from difficulty settings and id love for them to make those saves smooth. Like the save after end turn is.
    edited August 2021
    Xenos7777 said:

when I was a child I savescummed a lot. Like, in an almost pathological way. Always liked strategy games, so I savescummed every time I got a bad dice roll in Panzer General battles, or every time I lost a soldier in X-Com (I'm talking Enemy Unknown, the original one). Reloaded till the aliens missed the shot. I think I finished my first X-Com campaign without any casualty. I mean, I was a child, I couldn't accept loss as a concept. Then I grew up and I lost a lot of important stuff. Family members, love, opportunities. And that also changed my way of playing games. I played the XCOM remake (the Firaxis one) in ironman the first time, and I enjoyed it a lot more. It was dramatic, it made sense. I could look forward to vengeance and sorrow stories. So now I pretty much always play ironman. People should try, it's really better this way.

Great post man

@Rewan You are not alone, I think a lot of people want more adjustable difficulty levels. Ironman without PO penalties, Battle Realism without the Mele buffs for AI etc.

Re: Save Scumming and Alt+F4ing in general, it can be a really great tool for learning, testing and experimenting and saving time.

It is not AT ALL good for immersion and suspension of disbelief and feeling of consequence.

If you understand that then you are fine.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,826
    edited August 2021
    Xenos7777 said:

Reeks said:

It's pointless

There is a clear distinction between reloading to keep pushing the boundaries of what a possible victory looks like to improve at the game and your refusal to accept any form loss as a child.

I'm not scared or frustrated at the prospect of a lost battle. I enjoy winning an unwinnable battle.
    Post edited by Commissar_G#7535 on
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
    edited August 2021
    Duplicate Post - Can delete
    Post edited by Mercii on
    MercytheMad on Youtube