Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Official reveal: Total War Battles: Shogun

Comments

• Crazy SteveCrazy Steve Senior Member Posts: 1,429Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    This seems like a fun thing to have as an app =)
    [PORTABLE-ID]crazysteve[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • BengalTigerBengalTiger Senior Member Posts: 492Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Yikes. Seriously? Sorry - but i too will pass. You seem to be going after a very different type of market / audiance with your new app. Think of all the bug fixes / improvements that could have been made to Shogun 2 instead of that app you guys spent time developing. Seems to me you are losing your focus. The Total War experience is a big screen, 3D, tactical, detailed, suround sound like experience,... That's not what i am seeing here. I could have understood the temptations of coming out with a new PC title game: American Civil War, China's Warring States, or even a fantasy like setting like "Lord of the Rings" or even "The Game of Thrones"... but this? Errr, no thanks.
  • TotalCucumberTotalCucumber Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Seriously, stop complaining about CA wasting time, if people didn't try new things human race would still be working on how to "throw stones" and such things.

CA make great games, I'll buy this, even though I too would prefer a new PC game.
  • JokerJoker Senior Member Posts: 644Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Seriously, stop complaining about CA wasting time, if people didn't try new things human race would still be working on how to "throw stones" and such things.

It's called, having an opinion. If The Creative Assembly wishes to make an announcement, you can't expect everyone to love it !

As previously stated though, I wish them every bit of luck with it and hope it sells well, it just won't be me who buys it ;)
    My top five of next Total War installments:
    1) TW: Rome II
    2) TW: China
    3) TW: Lord of the Rings
    4) TW: Victorian
    5) TW: Star Wars
    [PORTABLE-ID]joker[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • daniudaniu Senior Member Posts: 2,081Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Joker wrote: »
    It's called, having an opinion. If The Creative Assembly wishes to make an announcement, you can't expect everyone to love it !
    It's called having an uneducated opinion until they have played the game.
    edited March 2012
    daniu wrote: »
    It's called having an uneducated opinion until they have played the game.

Forget it, you're not worth the time.
  • daniudaniu Senior Member Posts: 2,081Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Forget it, you're not worth the time.
    As worthwhile of a comeback as could be expected.
    edited March 2012
    daniu wrote: »
    As worthwhile of a comeback as could be expected.

I'll do you a favor and will reply !

If I don't feel the need to play this kind of game, I don't have to play it to know whether I'd like it or not. It's just not my kind of game.

Now, I did you a favor, do me one in return. Put me on your ignore list, I'll do the same for you alright !
  • tin.knighttin.knight Senior Member Posts: 111Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Wow! This seems to be becoming an emotive topic. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. Mine is this is not for me, but good luck CA i hope the franchise continues to thrive and if this brings in much needed revenue so be it.
  • CoineachCoineach Senior Member Posts: 539Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Actually I think this is an interesting discussion whether or not the Total War experience can be injected into such a simple format at a satisfying level of effectiveness. I look forward to reading the comments of those who are interested in it and begin to try it after its release. Like another poster above I do not have a mobile device (my current cell phone doesn't count cuz its just a ten year old Nokia troglodyte . Also I don't see myself getting one any time soon, so will only get a sense of the experience through the comments of others. If it sounds really interesting maybe it'll be the thing that motivates me to get one of those little distraction pads, LOL
    Wake me up when they make Empire 2 ;)
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 10,204Registered Users, Moderators
    edited March 2012
    Not having a mobile device I'll have to go along with Half Life's assessment - I'll think about it when I get something to play it on.

(I do think some folks ought to lighten up a little. Aperson should enjoy what they want and not feel obligated to run others down if those folks don't happen to like the same thing.)

*** Now for a word from our sponsors........... ;)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
  • DribbsDribbs Senior Member Posts: 1,271Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I own an iPhone and an iPad for which I have many many games. However, one of the things I enjoy about the Total War series is that it is a PC exclusive franchise .

What I think some people are missing about this new game is the decision to use the Total War brand for something completely different. At best, it's misleading as this game shares nothing with the PC game besides a heavily simplified and abstracted period setting and theme. At worst, it's just a shameful cash-in by Sega and CA.

I'm not against SEGA wanting to enter the tablet indie game market but I'd expect more from them. It would have been better if they had commissioned a different development studio to produce this game. Giving the job to CA makes little sense. It's not what they do and they have better things to use their resources on. Might be a legal issue in that CA own the sole rights to produce TW IP - not sure.

I'm sure the team that has worked on it are sincere and I wish it success. But I won't be buying it myself.
  • moriseikimoriseiki Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    So when will this mini game be on sale ?
    I haven`t read about a release date so far.
  • xcmhxxcmhx Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited March 2012
  • TotalCucumberTotalCucumber Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited March 2012

As previously stated though, I wish them every bit of luck with it and hope it sells well, it just won't be me who buys it ;)

I think u got me quite wrong. I don't say that one can't have an opinion of his own, just that CA can have their opinion as well as you can have yours, if they want to do a mobile game they can. It's not a waste of time because that some people don't want it.
  • EisenhartEisenhart Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    This could be a money maker for CA, which, in my opinion, is good as developers will have more resources to build next Total War games even better. That being said, Total War Battles screenshots so far remind me of a mixture of some sort of civilization type of game and chess. Although not being a fan of either of those, i will probably give this one a try out of pure curiosity. Total War series surprised me (in a good way) as PC games. Why not on a mobile device? I don't wan't to be hasty in my judgements.

However, I hope this isn't the next installment of the franchise (or Fall of the Samurai either) they were working on while finishing Shogun 2 and I hope they are working on a totally new Total War or a remake of previous titles, like Rome or Medieval II.
    I came, I saw, I took a capture point.
    edited March 2012
    I don't say that one can't have an opinion of his own, just that CA can have their opinion as well as you can have yours, if they want to do a mobile game they can. It's not a waste of time because that some people don't want it.

Yep, true ! It's all personal opinion and taste. What Ive been saying all along :)

@Eisenhart,
    They're not going to use those resources for the next PC Total War, they'll use it for the next mobile Total War Battles game ;)
    edited March 2012
    Can't help but notice there is a lot more in put from CA on the TWC forums than there is here on their official forums. Also at first glance it appears CA is trying hard to defend going down this road. Mmmmmmmm!
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,296Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thanks, but no thanks. Really not my cup of tea.
  • Billy RuffianBilly Ruffian Moderator UKPosts: 27,999Registered Users, Moderators
    edited March 2012
    tin.knight wrote: »
    Can't help but notice there is a lot more in put from CA on the TWC forums than there is here on their official forums. Also at first glance it appears CA is trying hard to defend going down this road. Mmmmmmmm!

I don't think CA has a choice, if SEGA says "here's some money, make this" that is what they have to do.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,296Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I don't think CA has a choice, if SEGA says "here's some money, make this" that is what they have to do.

I doubt it, actually. That's usually not the way contractual obligations between companies work. Of course SEGA owns CA, but that's not quite the same relationship as between boss and employee. I imagine it's more like this. SEGA: "What do you want to do now?" CA: "We've got this enormously cool idea that is bound to make you a lot of money!" SEGA: "Sure, how much money do you need?" "By the way, we want it finished Yesterday. That OK with you?" CA: "Er, how about next year?" SEGA: "Well, if you insist."
    edited March 2012
    I'm sure your view may not be far wrong, but what next? - Pacman Total war or perhaps lemmings Total war? no! its gota be Sonic Total War! - Ok, please excuse my sense of humour. Its just so far away from what the franchise is all about, and to date nobody comes close to what they have achieved so far. - Good luck CA i wish you well with it!
  • Napoleon 2ndNapoleon 2nd Senior Member Posts: 2,151Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Is this on Iphones/Ipods? Or jsut on Ipads?
    'It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the ones who are the most adaptable to change' Charles Darwin

But I have a thing for cannon...
  • NaishoNaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,375Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    It will work on iphone and itouch too
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • ShigawireShigawire Senior Member Norway, BrønnøysundPosts: 3,223Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Hopefully it comes for Android too.
  • vontheodorevontheodore Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited March 2012
  • Face-sploderFace-sploder Senior Member Posts: 536Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    It doesn't seem very total war like. I may be wrong, but it kind of looks like CA slapped the words Total War onto the title to make it sell more, the gameplay seems completely different.
  • DribbsDribbs Senior Member Posts: 1,271Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    it kind of looks like CA slapped the words Total War onto the title to make it sell more
    ya think? ;P
  • NerrothNerroth Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I wonder if it could be possible to release this as an app for the PlayStation Vita, either for the machine in particular or perhaps via the upcoming PlayStation Suite framework; but then, I would like to think Sony's new handheld could handle something a little more involved, too...
This discussion has been closed.