Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Warhammer 3 - Dogs of War Faction Focus - Possible Army Units, Lords

2»

Comments

• ArneSo#7705ArneSo#7705 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 36,990
    @SerPus
    Borgio is alive when the game starts.

Regarding Marienburg:

They don’t belong to DoW/SR and belong to the empire culturally.

DoW are based on renaissance Italy and SR on renaissance Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Marienburg is a mix of Amsterdam and the Hanseatic Free City of Hamburg.
    Making it part of a DoW race where generic Lords have Italian or spanish influenced names would be very very weird.

No, Marienburg is part of the Empire and shouldn’t be separated.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 9,570
    Crossil said:

It, essentially, offers nothing new

At the very least there are a landship and a playable character. I have no doubt that CA can find two more units for a Lord Pack.
    Crossil said:

have less and less reason to be within DoW

What?
    Crossil said:

I would prefer CA prioritizing units that aren't available elsewhere and first, and most numerous, are the Tilean units

Tilean units should obviously be the backbone of the DoW roster. But Tilea isn't the only source of mercenaries in the Warhammer world and that should be reflected in the game.
    Crossil said:

In addition, they are Couronne's punching bag, so they probably aren't gonna be playable.

The map is getting more and more populated. LLs staring right next to each other is not a problem.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    SerPus said:

Crossil said:

It, essentially, offers nothing new

At the very least there are a landship and a playable character. I have no doubt that CA can find two more units for a Lord Pack.
    Crossil said:

In addition, they are Couronne's punching bag, so they probably aren't gonna be playable.

The map is getting more and more populated. LLs staring right next to each other is not a problem.
    Hmmmm. Nah, I'm not convinced. It is one thing to be next to one another and another to start at war with one or the other being destroyed by default.

Maybe if they were added elsewhere? I'm not convined Van Der Kraal is an LL either as he commands a mercenary company same as any other DoW mercenary captain. Also, Mariemburg would still be an Empire faction, not DoW by me so, yeah, I would sooner place such a faction outside of Marienburg.

To be honest, I would expect them to simply be available from the start. The Landship is one of the few centerpiece units for DoW that kindaa fits in with a Tilean aesthetic.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,941
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Asarnil the Dragonlord is a must. The Elf didn't grovel before the Phony King and his cuckolded ways. I'm sure Imrik offered him a congratulatory handshake and a warm wink.

The more Caledorians the merrier.

He is an Elf so he doesn’t fit as a faction leader for DoW who should be represented as Southern Realms, or at least Expeditions from the Southern Realms.

Keep in mind that all those DoW expeditions into the Dark Lands were organised by tilean City States.
    DoW without Tilea doesn’t work and also makes absolutely no sense.

Asarnil could be a unique Heroe similar to Markus Hunters, but making him a Faction Leader of a human faction would be a horrible choice.

Borgio, Lucrezzia and Lorenzo are the official DoW armybook characters and they all rule over Tilean city states.

Then we have Marco Colombo and Leonardo who are dead.

So Mydas would be the best choice for No. 4. He would also give CA the chance to add some Araby love.

If (and it’s a big if) CA wants to turn a character of a foreign race into a leader of a DoW/SR faction, it should be Gashnag who has his tiny Kingdom in the Border Princes.

But Regiment captains like Drong, Asarnil or that Hobgoblin dude should never be a faction leader for a human faction.

It’s something different to command one little regiment and ruling over an entire faction/city/state.

DoW have 4 really good armybook characters who are still alive and all very distinctive.

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.
    That's precisely why he should be a LL. For variety's sake and because it is always nice to see a lesser races led by their betters. Asarnil was a commander of his own mercenary group. It can become a faction.

Well not everyone likes elves.

But I agree that Asarnil as a generic HE lord available for every DoW/SR faction would be nice.

He could be unlockable with a special mechanic for special units, lords and heroes. The new bandit tech from 3k would be a good way to implement that.
    Who exactly? Write their names down and send a letter to your nearby Loremaster office. This heresy will be rooted out!

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Asarnil the Dragonlord is a must. The Elf didn't grovel before the Phony King and his cuckolded ways. I'm sure Imrik offered him a congratulatory handshake and a warm wink.

He is an Elf so he doesn’t fit as a faction leader for DoW who should be represented as Southern Realms, or at least Expeditions from the Southern Realms.

Keep in mind that all those DoW expeditions into the Dark Lands were organised by tilean City States.

Asarnil could be a unique Heroe similar to Markus Hunters, but making him a Faction Leader of a human faction would be a horrible choice.

Borgio, Lucrezzia and Lorenzo are the official DoW armybook characters and they all rule over Tilean city states.

So Mydas would be the best choice for No. 4. He would also give CA the chance to add some Araby love.

If (and it’s a big if) CA wants to turn a character of a foreign race into a leader of a DoW/SR faction, it should be Gashnag who has his tiny Kingdom in the Border Princes.

But Regiment captains like Drong, Asarnil or that Hobgoblin dude should never be a faction leader for a human faction.

It’s something different to command one little regiment and ruling over an entire faction/city/state.

DoW have 4 really good armybook characters who are still alive and all very distinctive.

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.
    That's precisely why he should be a LL. For variety's sake and because it is always nice to see a lesser races led by their betters. Asarnil was a commander of his own mercenary group. It can become a faction.

But I agree that Asarnil as a generic HE lord available for every DoW/SR faction would be nice.

He could be unlockable with a special mechanic for special units, lords and heroes. The new bandit tech from 3k would be a good way to implement that.
    Who exactly? Write their names down and send a letter to your nearby Loremaster office. This heresy will be rooted out!
    This game has more than enough Elves. Like it or not, but DoW should stay human.

Asarnil should be added, but not as a LL.

I would love some mechanic where the player can unlock special Generals or Heroes. So as Borgio and Miragliano, you can recruit Asarnil as a generic HE Lord with a Dragon after fulfilling a mercenary contract for a HE faction.

Or something like the Wulfhart hunters mechanic would be perfect for all those infamous mercenary regiment captains like Pirazzo, Drong and Asarnil. Something like a “person of interest” tab where the player can unlock special mercenaries.

I really hope CA will use the bandit mercenary contract mechanic from 3k as a basis for DoW/SR.
    This way the player could also unlock exotic units like Arabians, Amazons and Halflings.

Similar to the Bandits in 3k, DoW/SR should be able to unlock some foreign units from other races via tech or diplomacy. Dwarf Warriors, Corsairs, Marauders and other stuff like that.

CA can really be super creative here.
    edited March 2020

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,333
    In regards to Marienburg the 6th Edition had like Army styles you could do with the Empire.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,941
    edited March 2020
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

This game has more than enough Elves. Like it or not, but DoW should stay human.

I would love some mechanic where the player can unlock special Generals or Heroes. So as Borgio and Miragliano, you can recruit Asarnil as a generic HE Lord with a Dragon after fulfilling a mercenary contract for a HE faction.

Or something like the Wulfhart hunters mechanic would be perfect for all those infamous mercenary regiment captains like Pirazzo, Drong and Asarnil. Something like a “person of interest” tab where the player can unlock special mercenaries.

I really hope CA will use the bandit mercenary contract mechanic from 3k as a basis for DoW/SR.
    This way the player could also unlock exotic units like Arabians, Amazons and Halflings.

Similar to the Bandits in 3k, DoW/SR should be able to unlock some foreign units from other races via tech or diplomacy. Dwarf Warriors, Corsairs, Marauders and other stuff like that.

No game can have more than enough Elves!

Asarnil as generic L? He is a Caledorian!

And considering he is an exile I don't think that he should be a part of contract. Because of it and because he is not a filthy human he can have a story revolving around his return to Ulthuan.
    Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Wth their sheer mass.
    Post edited by Maedrethnir on
  • DeathsDayOffDeathsDayOff Registered Users Posts: 479
    Everyone shut up, slayer pirates are the only reason to care about DOW

Everyone shut up, slayer pirates are the only reason to care about DOW

Ehh not really. Tastes are different you know...
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,771

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

And considering he is an exile I don't think that he should be a part of contract. Because of it and because he is not a filthy human he can have a story revolving around his return to Ulthuan.
    Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Wth their sheer mass.
    Don't joke, if Cylostra and Grom both sat on the same side of Ulthuan, the whole island might flip over.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Wth their sheer mass.
    Don't joke, if Cylostra and Grom both sat on the same side of Ulthuan, the whole island might flip over.
    That's exactly what Cylostra wants.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 5,324
    Ingr8 said:

DoW are already in the game, implemented as part of the Vampire Coast. Speculation for its own sake is pretty weak.

Err no they aren't
    Ingr8 said:

DoW are already in the game, implemented as part of the Vampire Coast. Speculation for its own sake is pretty weak.

Stop spreading that nonsense!
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,059

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

- Borgio
    - Lorenzo
    - Lucrezzia
    - Mydas

That’s the way to go.

Wth their sheer mass.
    Ahahah fat jokes.

Anyway the LLs i want for the Puppers of War are the following.

-Borgio the Besieger (Melee lord)

-Lucrezia Belladonna (stealth lord)

-Lorenzo Lupo (Melee lord duelist)

-Mydas the Mean (Spellcaster lord)

-Morgan Bernhardt (Cavalry lord)

-The Strigoi dude from the Border Princes (Monster lord)
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,059
    Neodeinos said:

@ArneSo

Mydas the Mean is a Paymaster Hero. I know CA has played fast and loose with the "Lord" "Hero" delineation, but in the case of Paymasters, they kind of by design have to be heroes exclusively.

Also in his lore he's a self-serving, backstabbing A-hole, who constantly ruins entire armies by escaping with their pay or being stingy when dishing it out, which causes mass desertions or mutinies.

Doesn't make much sense for him to lead a faction imo.

Heroes in the tabletop could lead armies so the "lord" and "hero" thing is absolutely not a problem for potential LLs, which is why we've seen some heroes made into LLs.
    I would add ''Merchant Prince'' as lord version of Paymaster.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 9,570

-Mydas the Mean (Spellcaster lord)

What?
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 1,401
    edited August 2021
    ArneSo said:

@SerPus

Regarding Marienburg:

DoW are based on renaissance Italy and SR on renaissance Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Making it part of a DoW race where generic Lords have Italian or spanish influenced names would be very very weird.

If sartosa being pirates is enough to get them put into the vampire coasts.

Then marienburg using mercs is enough to put them under the DOW roster.

Your “cultural” argument is nonsense. CA doesn’t care about that, and making them fit mechanically is far more important. If DOW come with mechanics that fit mercantile city states. Then that’s what best fits marienburg.
    edited August 2021

ArneSo said:

@SerPus

Regarding Marienburg:

If sartosa being pirates is enough to get them put into the vampire coasts.

Then marienburg using mercs is enough to put them under the DOW roster.

Your “cultural” argument is nonsense. CA doesn’t care about that, and making them fit mechanically is far more important. If DOW come with mechanics that fit mercantile city states. Then that’s what best fits marienburg.
    The former was a design mistake, if anything. Sartosa canonically behaves in no way similar to Vampire Coast and it's overall a bad way of doing it. Vampiric Corruption, Raise Dead, and just overall having any undead in their roster is completely nonsensical. The only applicable reasoning as to why it was done like this is that Sartosa lost the war with Noctilus and this is just what remains of it. Which kinda could be the case as Roth didn't beat Noctilus in what canon CA has revealed.

It's a mistake that could be rectified by adding Jaego Roth to the game as a Southern Realms LL, however. The Grand Alliance representing what remains of the Sartosans after their destruction. It could be made out to be that he is coming back to reclaim his home island. And then, he could be the Southern Realms LL with more navally themed, if not even piracy themed, mechanics.

Similar to Sartosa, Marienburg isn't in any way similar to Tilea. The Tileans are basically the Italians of the setting and would probably come to reflect that. Marienburg is more closely related to the Netherlands alongside the Hanseatic League, and has strong connections to the Empire, even outside this historical basis. And most importantly, even if we accept that Marienburg could use any sort of mercantile mechanics from Southern Realms, that doesn't mean they couldn't use such mechanics outside of being in the Southern Realms. Transplanting these mechanics to them is something that's feasible. Aka, that's not a reason to move them over.

I would also argue that Sartosa was changed as such because they wanted them to be playable. Marienburg's chances of being playable are comparatively low, however. So I doubt they would change them over unless they want Marienburg to be playable, as Southern Realms has well enough Legendary Lords to add and Marienburg's only really applicable character is a mercenary captain. I don't feel like Marienburg warrants such a change in design, or the playable status until very far into the future.
This discussion has been closed.