Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Soul Stealer Friendly Fire?

BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 2,304
What if Soul Stealer did friendly fire on anyone who is not the caster? Seems reasonably evil and something that a despicable evil tyrant might do to his own troops to bolster his own flesh when he is wounded. What do you all think about that?

Comments

  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,677
    Not needed, just need to fix the AOE bug with it, You can already cast it on the ground so you get a heal, perhaps a good idea for it would rather be 150hp heal for each unit affected capped at 5 or 6. So overall heal if affecting 6 units is bit higher than now but if you affect less it heals less and if you cast it on ground its 0 HP heal.

    Friendly fire No thx not needed
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,356
    Bastilean said:

    What if Soul Stealer did friendly fire on anyone who is not the caster? Seems reasonably evil and something that a despicable evil tyrant might do to his own troops to bolster his own flesh when he is wounded. What do you all think about that?

    Great idea. Much more interesting counterplay.

    They should buff or reduce WoM costs of other spells in that lore, though.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,255
    I'm all for more friendly fire wherever it's possible and makes sense.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    On a general basis I like mechanics that discourages blobbing, so I wouldn't mind ss having friendly fire on units (not being the caster himself). On the same note I'd like the old poison/debuffs friendly fire back....
    Don't fear the knockdown. Control it. Embrace it. Love it! :smile:
  • Totentanz777Totentanz777 Registered Users Posts: 636
    RIP to DE if this change happens. Just revert AOE stuff and change morathi's ability to spam SS. Why change only soul stealer and not flock, Final trans, etc.
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 2,304

    perhaps a good idea for it would rather be 150hp heal for each unit affected capped at 5 or 6. So overall heal if affecting 6 units is bit higher than now but if you affect less it heals less and if you cast it on ground its 0 HP heal.

    I like this idea. It's not something that would be easily implemented with our existing abilities tables though.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 3,147
    will apply to all aoe damage spells right? why focus on this one?
  • The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 1,668
    I like the idea, could reduce wom slightly for it say maybe by 1
    Then buff other spells in the lore finally.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    All AoE magic should cause Friendly Fire and there definitely needs to be a major ld-debuff if you hit your own troops with careless casting.
  • BovineKingBovineKing Registered Users Posts: 740
    Idk expendable units would be even better than not sure I’m in favor of that.
  • ShevaTsarShevaTsar Registered Users Posts: 605
    AoE heals should heal enemies too while we are at it.
    Welcome to Cathay - the very ancient, super-duper, hyper, fantastic, incredible, majestic, wonderful, sexy, mighty empire, the greatest of all livings.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,677
    `
    ShevaTsar said:

    AoE heals should heal enemies too while we are at it.

    and AOE buffs should buff both players, likewise debufs
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 3,147

    `

    ShevaTsar said:

    AoE heals should heal enemies too while we are at it.

    and AOE buffs should buff both players, likewise debufs
    why limit it to spells? make cavalry and chariots do friendly damage on charges!
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,677
    Loupi_ said:

    `

    ShevaTsar said:

    AoE heals should heal enemies too while we are at it.

    and AOE buffs should buff both players, likewise debufs
    why limit it to spells? make cavalry and chariots do friendly damage on charges!
    Dont some infantry and characters have splash also? makes snese they would hit their own units too
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 3,147
    Bastilean said:

    perhaps a good idea for it would rather be 150hp heal for each unit affected capped at 5 or 6. So overall heal if affecting 6 units is bit higher than now but if you affect less it heals less and if you cast it on ground its 0 HP heal.

    I like this idea. It's not something that would be easily implemented with our existing abilities tables though.
    I think it could be done in a similar way to malekiths supreme spellshield item or the blaefire corpse cart. It reduces magic recharge based on the number of enemies nearby.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    ShevaTsar said:

    AoE heals should heal enemies too while we are at it.

    Good idea actually. Magic has been dumbed down so much, forcing smarter and more thought out usage would actually be a step in the right direction.

    Except Nehek shouldn't work on the living and EB/Regrowth shouldn't be AoE at all. EB should actually get its TT effect where it gives one unit regeneration. Making it a burst heal was a massively stupid idea.
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 2,304
    edited September 1
    Loupi_ said:

    Bastilean said:

    perhaps a good idea for it would rather be 150hp heal for each unit affected capped at 5 or 6. So overall heal if affecting 6 units is bit higher than now but if you affect less it heals less and if you cast it on ground its 0 HP heal.

    I like this idea. It's not something that would be easily implemented with our existing abilities tables though.
    I think it could be done in a similar way to malekiths supreme spellshield item or the blaefire corpse cart. It reduces magic recharge based on the number of enemies nearby.
    I like your idea, but that's not how balefire works. Balefire adds winds of magic reduction per enemy hit, which lets be honest is not that great. It targets enemies and then the effect happens (winds of magic reduction). There is no heal enemy caster cell in the table. Would be cool if there was!

    Could someone test and make sure balefire isn't actually reducing your own mana regeneration? The table says it affects friends and enemies which would indicate it's hitting you the entire game, which would probably set you back more than your opponent.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 3,147
    Bastilean said:

    Loupi_ said:

    Bastilean said:

    perhaps a good idea for it would rather be 150hp heal for each unit affected capped at 5 or 6. So overall heal if affecting 6 units is bit higher than now but if you affect less it heals less and if you cast it on ground its 0 HP heal.

    I like this idea. It's not something that would be easily implemented with our existing abilities tables though.
    I think it could be done in a similar way to malekiths supreme spellshield item or the blaefire corpse cart. It reduces magic recharge based on the number of enemies nearby.
    I like your idea, but that's not how balefire works. Balefire adds winds of magic reduction per enemy hit, which lets be honest is not that great. It targets enemies and then the effect happens (winds of magic reduction). There is no heal enemy caster cell in the table. Would be cool if there was!

    Could someone test and make sure balefire isn't actually reducing your own mana regeneration? The table says it affects friends and enemies which would indicate it's hitting you the entire game, which would probably set you back more than your opponent.
    it doesnt affect your own magic reserves or regen.

  • AudacimousAudacimous Registered Users Posts: 179
    This could be the nerf SS needs honestly. How much longer should the DE meta be revolved around degenerate Morathi double manticores gooning to force a blob response for SS? Even if you could escape SS by making it aura instead, it doesn't punish goon squad blob strat and still forces opponent to compromise their position by withdrawing or suffer a blob engagement loss. This will definitely nerf Dark magic tho so buffs to the other useless spell need to come with the change.
  • BovineKingBovineKing Registered Users Posts: 740
    So I’m fine with soulstealer having a weakness and all but doesn’t it kinda carry DE right now what’s being buffed? They haven’t been a high tier faction for a while least as far as I’m aware.

    As WE main nerf seems more relevant to Ariel that I understand though she still doesn’t heal from it.
  • Totentanz777Totentanz777 Registered Users Posts: 636
    Why would they change soul stealer only but none of the other AOE effects for damage, healing, and buffs/debuffs? That doesn't make sense unless you are trying to say SS is OP which is ridiculous other than the AOE changes that hit all those spells last patch.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,677
    they wont its a dumb idea unless the OP suggest other Friendly fire changes also which he doesnt,
  • tank3487tank3487 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,359
    edited September 1
    Loupi_ said:

    will apply to all aoe damage spells right? why focus on this one?

    It is because Soul Steal is undodgeable. Unlike Final Transmutation or similar spells where you can move out of AOE during duration to minimize damage.
    But probably would be too harsh nerf.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,677
    edited September 2
    tank3487 said:

    Loupi_ said:

    will apply to all aoe damage spells right? why focus on this one?

    It is because Soul Steal is undodgeable. Unlike Final Transmutation or similar spells where you can move out of AOE during duration to minimize damage.
    But probably would be too harsh nerf.
    buffs, debufs are also undodgeable.

    If anything a better change would be TO make it dogeable
Sign In or Register to comment.