Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Official Katarin concept arts.

mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,378
edited September 11 in General Discussion
Directly from Artstation.

Comments

• AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,877
    was this leaked or did CA release this?
  • NikolabracNikolabrac Registered Users Posts: 508
    The lack of hair disturbs me
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,378

It's on Artstation, it's not a leak, some of the artists that work in the game sometimes upload things there, like 3D models and concept arts, it has been a thing since Game 1, you just have to check from to time to see if something new was added.
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,877

It's on Artstation, it's not a leak, some of the artists that work in the game sometimes upload things there, like 3D models and concept arts, it has been a thing since Game 1, you just have to check from to time to see if something new was added.
    shouldnt be surprised that CA didnt drop anything on their own
  • YurisusukiYurisusuki Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 464

Seens like theres hair in one of the concepts arts.
    Just as planned

• NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 2,216
    And yet, people will find some reason, some flaw, to complain about Katarin's design.

Fortunately, those people are in the small minority.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 849
    I wonder, will she be the Malekith of game 3? For now she have the best design in the game, but we haven't seen Cathay yet, though.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,715
    I wonder why they decided against giving her the flowing black hair?

Design choice, aesthetics, hair animation being notoriously bad?
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,242

So GW initially went for a more traditional /true to established lore look, but CAs take gave us her new version.

So it seems that indeed that the concept look of units and characters is more "2 Way Street" than this forums give credit for. "GW said so, GW made so".
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,386

Directly from Artstation.

She looks stunning!!!
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 12,437

So GW initially went for a more traditional /true to established lore look, but CAs take gave us her new version.

So it seems that indeed that the concept look of units and characters is more "2 Way Street" than this forums give credit for. "GW said so, GW made so".

It seemed always obvious to me CA doesn't do exactly as GW says and has some creative freedom despite what people say.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,274
    Arsenic said:

She's a queen, not a prostitute.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,518
    edited September 12

So GW also submit their own concept art.

I prefer this version GW though. CA's version has too much jewelry though.

*just my opinion

SerPus said:

Arsenic said:

Queens can't show their hair ?
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

Neodeinos said:

Historically speaking, it wasn't appropriate even for regular women to have loose uncovered hair. CA just made Katarin more authentic with that detail.

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,377
    The hair covering is a stylistic choice inspired by real-life traditions. I assume it was added to make her stand out more, which she indeed does. We have lots of other long-haired WH ladies.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 7,878
    Neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Arsenic said:

Queen Galfrey from Wrath of the Righteous is a much better depection of a warrior queen. Hair tied up so not to be a burden in battle.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM
    edited September 12
    SerPus said:

Neodeinos said:

Historically speaking, it wasn't appropriate even for regular women to have loose uncovered hair. CA just made Katarin more authentic with that detail.

This is Warhammer not history.
    Aside from that, GW already submitted their concept art though.

Then the official concept art made by GW is a mistake because of historical reasons?
    Amonkhet said:

Neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Arsenic said:

Queen Galfrey from Wrath of the Righteous is a much better depection of a warrior queen. Hair tied up so not to be a burden in battle.
    Indeed she looks good.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,605
    I like this new Katarin more than the old desig because it feels more magical and fantastical, especially when compared to the more grounded and realistic looking Kostaltyn
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

edited September 12
    jamreal18 said:

This is Warhammer not history.

Most fantasy settings are still using elements that are based on history. You don't see Warhammer characters walking around in jeans, do you?
    jamreal18 said:

Then the official concept art made by GW is a mistake because of historical reasons?

Mistake? What does that even mean? GW had their own design, CA made it better, GW approved these changes.

edited September 12
    SerPus said:

Most fantasy setting still using elements that are based on history. You don't see Warhammer characters walking around in jeans, do you?

But just because historical queens didn't laid their hair, Warhammer queens don't have to laid their hair as well.

Ok! All warriors in history wore helmets in battle, so Eltharion and Imrik shall wore helmet as well?

Shall Norsca warriors wear thick coats just like in history?
    SerPus said:

Mistake? What does that even mean? GW had their own design, CA made it better, GW approved these changes.

CA changed it though.

Are you telling this is worse because historically, queens didn't laid their hair?

jamreal18 said:

But just because historical queens didn't laid their hair, Warhammer queens don't have to laid their hair as well.

No? CA used something from history to improve the design of one character. GW approved it. End of story.

SerPus said:

jamreal18 said:

No? CA used something from history to improve the design of one character. GW approved it. End of story.
    Ok. Wish CA uses history to improve designs of Warhammer Characters more.

• IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 4,509
    GW designs everything.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

• damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 1,047

yeah in initial pic there were cool long hair, probably did it cause animating hair is hard
    BsFG dwarf
  • DrownedHoundDrownedHound Registered Users Posts: 7,046
    Am I the only person who likes that she has her hair hidden? It just seems like a neat design choice to me.

yeah in initial pic there were cool long hair, probably did it cause animating hair is hard
    Fay the Enhantress
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 2,216
    edited September 12
    I give my comment and suddenly we're talking about the intricacies of hair style for 14th-17th royal ladies.

Katarin it the Ice Queen from Hans Christian Anderson, with intent to kill. Kislev is a land regularly beset by enemies of the worst sort. Being without some feminine finery makes plenty of sense.
    SerPus said:

Arsenic said:

Pardon my Russian but Что за дела? We're talking about a woman who can casually cause avalanches and blizzards on a bad day. Showing hair or not doesn't really need to be made into a judgement of character.

That said, considering Catherine the Great was a thing, Katarin hypothetically being a rake isn't impossible or inversible or even out of character, thought that's up to GW. Any aristocratic lady unmarried at her age is bound to cause some controversy regardless, but my avatar shows my allegiance regardless.

Pardon my Russian but Что за дела? We're talking about a woman who can casually avalanches and blizzards on a bad day. Showing hair or not doesn't really need to be made into a judgement of character.

It has nothing to do with her personal characteristics.