Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I'm curious about the Chinese reception to the Cathay reveal.

Comments

• K3KevilinioK3Kevilinio Registered Users Posts: 156
    I think the cultural background is a thing why I am so attracted to the empire . I mean German city names and Imperator Karl Franz. Come on the cultural background is why we love the different factions. I am hyped for Cathay too cause look at these Chinese mythology mixed with history is visually really great.

And yes I am German ^^

But kislev winged Husar are so iconic i can’t wait to see some epic videos made with them.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,085

I think the cultural background is a thing why I am so attracted to the empire . I mean German city names and Imperator Karl Franz. Come on the cultural background is why we love the different factions. I am hyped for Cathay too cause look at these Chinese mythology mixed with history is visually really great.

And yes I am German ^^

But kislev winged Husar are so iconic i can’t wait to see some epic videos made with them.

True, I'm naturally more interested in playing Britain in Empire and England in Medieval games, because I have a greater emotional attachment to the history due to popular media within my country. There's nothing wrong with the idea that a percentage of Chinese people would feel the same.
  • ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 290

Serkelet said:

Shouldn't really matter. China is cracking down on video games. They'll be lucky to even play this game.

Limits are only applied to under 18s. And only against online games. Stop with the missinformation.
    Wrong. China is not only limiting game time for children, they're also slowing down approval for new games. Some online news sources say they're outright banning all new video games. You need to stop spreading "misinformation".
    Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Why would they look forward to this more than us?

Like honestly i don´t get that line of thinking

Because CA is PaNdErInG To The ChiNeSe MarKET
    It´s baffling honestly to think that the mere fact of ones heritage automatically means that one is more stoked for certain content

Absolutely ****
    It's baffling to you because you're not a Chinese nationalist.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/30/china-to-ban-kids-from-playing-online-games-for-more-than-three-hours-per-week.html

Give the guy a break, it's actually true.
    I didn't say it wasn't true. I said it goes further than gaming limits. He accused me of spreading misinformation when he's the one who doesn't have all of the facts.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 29,764
    My family is Chinese so I suppose that makes me Chinese. I love it.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,085

Serkelet said:

Shouldn't really matter. China is cracking down on video games. They'll be lucky to even play this game.

Limits are only applied to under 18s. And only against online games. Stop with the missinformation.
    Wrong. China is not only limiting game time for children, they're also slowing down approval for new games. Some online news sources say they're outright banning all new video games. You need to stop spreading "misinformation".
    Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

It´s baffling honestly to think that the mere fact of ones heritage automatically means that one is more stoked for certain content

Absolutely ****
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/30/china-to-ban-kids-from-playing-online-games-for-more-than-three-hours-per-week.html

I didn't say it wasn't true. I said it goes further than gaming limits. He accused me of spreading misinformation when he's the one who doesn't have all of the facts.
    He's probably questioning your overly panicky tone. CA are releasing this game in China and have already done the research. Don't worry, the game will do fine.
  • K3KevilinioK3Kevilinio Registered Users Posts: 156

And yes I am German ^^

True, I'm naturally more interested in playing Britain in Empire and England in Medieval games, because I have a greater emotional attachment to the history due to popular media within my country. There's nothing wrong with the idea that a percentage of Chinese people would feel the same.
    Yeah that’s why I always choose German factions in medieval games first. But after I learned the game I am playing all other factions which I am interested in. :) the Good thing is that the diverse cultural history’s and designs makes a lot of interesting Nations, like the Chinese history which was really interesting when I played 3k for the first time.
  • ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 290

Serkelet said:

Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Absolutely ****

He's probably questioning your overly panicky tone. CA are releasing this game in China and have already done the research. Don't worry, the game will do fine.
    What panicky tone? I couldn't care less. In fact, I'd be happy if it was banned in China. CA doesn't make decisions on what gets released in China. China does. Their laws are changing and they're cracking down on gaming hard.
    https://qz.com/2056875/chinas-crackdown-on-video-games-is-getting-more-serious/
  • DragonbroodlingsDragonbroodlings Registered Users Posts: 203
    Cultural background is important along with other factors. I'm an American with northern European ancestry. Warhammer fantasy doesn't explicitly include my cultural heritage. I feel at a wash with it because I could pick the Empire, Norsca, WoC, HE, WE, Dwarfs, and DE to represent my heritage in different ways. But I like dinosaurs and reptiles, so lizardmen became my favorite faction. Different things will speak to different people.

I'm glad that the Chinese seem to be liking their interpretation from what other posters on here are saying. The Qing dynasty thing is interesting. I'm glad GW went with a different era or eras.
  • Lampros73Lampros73 Registered Users Posts: 281
    Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Absolutely ****
    Actually, it's a natural - and a reasonable - assumption. As a Korean, I remember being excited when the Civ franchise included Korea. And as an East Asian, I am exuberant about the representation of East Asian culture in Warhammer.
    edited September 14
    Isn't there like... a lot of Chinese in the west?

The concept that there's cities without a strong Chinese culture in it seems very foreign to me.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

Reeks said:

Frook said:

Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Absolutely ****
    While it is true on principle. Seeing the representation of one's own cultural background in a medium that one enjoys can have greater effect. This is especially true when it comes to less represented cultures in particular media. Non-Western fantasy isn't that common.
    I still don´t get it, it´s not like i were sitting there shouting "One of us, one of us!" when Norsca released, or like they are in any way my favorite warhammer content.

Shoehorning peoples tastes together with heritage is dumb af

people should stop stooping to those levels honestly
    Your assumption may in itself to some extent betray your cultural biases. Having been a sojourner in two worlds - both West and the East - it appears to me that Americans and Western Europeans identify less with group allegiances now and instead stress "individuality." East Asians - while mores there, too, are changing - are dramatically different in their orientation. It reminds me of when a Korean-American college student went on a murdering spree a few decades ago in Virginia. Koreans and Korean-Americans conceptualized event as a national or ethnic shame - a case where "one of our own" committed a sin, and we must all bear responsibility in some respect. Naturally, the Korean ambassador to the United States apologized on behalf of Koreans - as did many Korean public figures. Americans, on the other hand, found this response baffling. They saw it as a case of a crazed individual gone amok that had nothing to do with Korea or Koreans. Cultural differences do exist.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Absolutely ****
    LOL come on Reeks, it doesn't take a Masters degree...
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,305
    Krunch said:

I've been reading the comments on the bilibili page for the trailer, and while obviously google translate is not perfect it seems they are very happy with it. Some criticisms too but mostly happy. They are VERY pleased that the dynasty doesn't look Qing inspired at all, I was not aware how strongly they seemingly hated the Qing aesthetic to be honest, I knew they disliked it but that seemed to be the thing they were most happy about.

There's a lot of self directed hatred regarding certain parts and times far as China goes.

Case in point, look at the overall attitude towards the 8 Princes DLC

Here in the west it's met with confusion, but hey atleast there's new toys to play with and new people to screw with. China responded with hatred in some forums. They hate it enough to pretend that era didn't exist and downplay that moment.
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 811
    Reeks said:

Its based on them. But yeah there have been a lot of china war games from CA .
    Reeks said:

Frook said:

Reeks said:

Neodeinos said:

Reeks said:

Absolutely ****
    While it is true on principle. Seeing the representation of one's own cultural background in a medium that one enjoys can have greater effect. This is especially true when it comes to less represented cultures in particular media. Non-Western fantasy isn't that common.
    I still don´t get it, it´s not like i were sitting there shouting "One of us, one of us!" when Norsca released, or like they are in any way my favorite warhammer content.

Shoehorning peoples tastes together with heritage is dumb af

people should stop stooping to those levels honestly
    Asking if a chinese likes something, basted on china - IS NOT weird

Krunch said:

I've been reading the comments on the bilibili page for the trailer, and while obviously google translate is not perfect it seems they are very happy with it. Some criticisms too but mostly happy. They are VERY pleased that the dynasty doesn't look Qing inspired at all, I was not aware how strongly they seemingly hated the Qing aesthetic to be honest, I knew they disliked it but that seemed to be the thing they were most happy about.

There's a lot of self directed hatred regarding certain parts and times far as China goes.

Case in point, look at the overall attitude towards the 8 Princes DLC

Here in the west it's met with confusion, but hey atleast there's new toys to play with and new people to screw with. China responded with hatred in some forums. They hate it enough to pretend that era didn't exist and downplay that moment.
    It's understandable. The Qing and the Yuan "foreign" dynasties.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,630

Let me tell you, basically all Chinese like it.including me

Thanks for chiming in friend! Y'alls approval on this means more than a little. The results are always dicey when fantasy writers work with cultures other than their own.
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,148
    I’m not Chinese. but I’m part ethnically Chinese. Meh…
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,396
    I have been saying that Qing would be a bad idea and why I prefer Song or Tang. Glad that GW/CA did their research and share the same sentiment
    lucibuis said:

They might be disappointed at the lack of fairy dragons, but fear not! Naieth will deliver them

Glad we can always call on you to never disappoint.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,630
    talonn said:

I have been saying that Qing would be a bad idea and why I prefer Song or Tang. Glad that GW/CA did their research and share the same sentiment

I apologize to everyone present for my ignorance of Chinese history, but why do so many hate the Qing compared to the Song and Tang? Were the Tang the “high culture” dynasty?
    talonn said:

Sad day for me. I just feel the Qing gets unfair press and they don’t get as much if any representation in fantasy media.

I have a feeling GW originally imagined Cathay as Qing but recently “adapted” to suit market taste and lost the original vision in the process.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,054

talonn said:

I apologize to everyone present for my ignorance of Chinese history, but why do so many hate the Qing compared to the Song and Tang? Were the Tang the “high culture” dynasty?
    https://www.quora.com/Did-the-Chinese-hate-the-Qing-Dynasty-of-the-Manchurian-people-and-wished-that-the-Han-people-would-have-continued-to-reign-after-the-collapse-of-the-Ming-Dynasty

talonn said:

China is a conglomerate of many ethnic groups, but the primary ethnic group is the "Han." Qing was a dynasty founded by the Manchus - who were are one of the ethnic minorities and traditionally not considered Chinese. Hence, it is seen by many as a "foreign" dynasty. The same holds for the Yuan dynasty - because it was founded by the Mongols.
  • epic_162578572945FgdWSzpepic_162578572945FgdWSzp Registered Users Posts: 137
    Lampros73 said:

talonn said:

China is a conglomerate of many ethnic groups, but the primary ethnic group is the "Han." Qing was a dynasty founded by the Manchus - who were are one of the ethnic minorities and traditionally not considered Chinese. Hence, it is seen by many as a "foreign" dynasty. The same holds for the Yuan dynasty - because it was founded by the Mongols.
    so basically because ethnonationalism

Lampros73 said:

talonn said:

Yes.

talonn said:

Tang was regarded as the peak of civilization of its times. Lots of innovations were born in Tang.

Xi'an (Today's Chang'an) was regarded as International hub. Lots of merchants visited from the west and middle east. Even Japanese and Korea leaders went to that city to seek knowledge

Lampros73 said:

talonn said:

I think so.

Think of China as a larger Europe. Lots of cultures, languages, all that jazz. It's just inward looking culturally.

Forum Terms & Conditions

Abmong said:

talonn said:

Sad day for me. I just feel the Qing gets unfair press and they don’t get as much if any representation in fantasy media.

I have a feeling GW originally imagined Cathay as Qing but recently “adapted” to suit market taste and lost the original vision in the process.
    no doubt about that. The old and new generation of GW staffs obviously don't share the same view
    talonn said:

talonn said:

Tang was regarded as the peak of civilization of its times. Lots of innovations were born in Tang.

Xi'an (Today's Chang'an) was regarded as International hub. Lots of merchants visited from the west and middle east. Even Japanese and Korea leaders went to that city to seek knowledge
    Yeah, this is correct. And I missed this part of the question.

Tang was also militarily the strongest Han Chinese dynasty as well.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,830
    edited September 15

Lampros73 said:

talonn said:

No, it would be like portraying a pseudo Roman Empire with Bratwurst and Lederhosen just because Germanic tribes at one point controlled large swathes of it.

This discussion has been closed.